CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

In little league baseball they play with aluminum bats, no dropped third strike rule, have a shorter distances between bases, shorter pitching distance, have four outfielders, have different strike zones, 6 innings, mercy rule, no designated hitter and a shorter home run distance.

Now your telling me casuals can't possibly enjoy HCS unless it has sprint? 

Don't forget ground rule doubles. Hit two of them my last game of little league and still lost because of that rule. Fourteen years later and I'm still bitter.

Don't forget ground rule doubles. Hit two of them my last game of little league and still lost because of that rule. Fourteen years later and I'm still bitter.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the 'no dropped 3rd strike rule' and ground rule doubles?  Isn't a ground rule double when the ball bounces over the wall, it counts as a double?  It's that way in the pro's if I'm not mistaken.  What's different with Little League?

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the 'no dropped 3rd strike rule' and ground rule doubles?  Isn't a ground rule double when the ball bounces over the wall, it counts as a double?  It's that way in the pro's if I'm not mistaken.  What's different with Little League?

In MLB if the third strike is dropped by the catcher the batter has a chance to run to first base if he can get there before the ball gets does, this rule doesn't exist in little league and any third strike will count as an out. I'm not sure what difference there is as far as the ground rule double rule that Dante is referring to. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my little league there weren't home runs. Even if you aired it over the fence it was counted as a ground rule double.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo MCC grunt ad: 

Now I'm not certain, but that glorious little bit sounded like a Joe Staten voice-acted grunt. Now that he's back with Microsoft and working with Halo again in some capacity, I wonder if he'll be voicing english-speaking grunts again In Halo 5. When they left Halo lost a bit of soul, and I think many people missed them. 

@@Sal1ent

Anything you can confirm/hint/pleasehavestatenvoicegrunts?

what?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Halo

Halo 3>Reach>H4 in terms of total units sold. That is not even counting DLC and game longevity which he all know Reach and especially Halo 4 are not even comparable to Halo 3. The fan-base repeatedly tells you what you are doing wrong, and has overwhelming objective evidence to back their claims and yet the devs continue to push their mis-guided and delusional vision of Halo MP on the fan-base. I am sorry, but very little people who have seriously played the Halo trilogy will see Halo 5 as a natural evolution of the franchise just like the Rainbow Six Vegas series is still not considered "Core RS" by original RS fans. Maybe I am wrong though, maybe their new target audience will FINALLY replace the old one and the franchise will prosper. However I have 5+years of evidence and continuous regression saying that will not happen.

Halo 3>Reach>H4 in terms of total units sold. That is not even counting DLC or game longevity which he all know Reach and especially Halo 4 are not even comparable to Halo 3. The fan-base repeatedly tells you what you are doing wrong, and has overwhelming objective evidence to back their claims and yet the devs continue to push their mis-guided and delusional vision of Halo on the fan-base. I am sorry, but very little people who have seriously played the Halo trilogy will see Halo 5 as a natural evolution of the franchise just like the Rainbow Six Vegas series is still not considered "Core RS" by original RS fans. Maybe I am wrong though, maybe their new target audience will replace the old one and the franchise will prosper. However I have 5+years of evidence saying that will not happen.

Halo 4 was the best selling MS title of all time.

Halo 3>Reach>H4 in terms of total units sold. That is not even counting DLC and game longevity which he all know Reach and especially Halo 4 are not even comparable to Halo 3. The fan-base repeatedly tells you what you are doing wrong, and has overwhelming objective evidence to back their claims and yet the devs continue to push their mis-guided and delusional vision of Halo MP on the fan-base. I am sorry, but very little people who have seriously played the Halo trilogy will see Halo 5 as a natural evolution of the franchise just like the Rainbow Six Vegas series is still not considered "Core RS" by original RS fans. Maybe I am wrong though, maybe their new target audience will FINALLY replace the old one and the franchise will prosper. However I have 5+years of evidence and continuous regression saying that will not happen.

I think he was confused because you put H3>HR+H4 as in 'plus', not 'and'. 

Halo 4 was the best selling MS title of all time.

The future is bright, the future is orange.

Someone post the pic.

That link does not show in any way halo 3 out sold reach and 4 combined. That's just stupid. H4 sold 9 mil you really think reach didn't sell 5 mil?

I understand you were going for dramatics but don't post bullshit for the sake of hyperbole

• Downvote (-1) 1

The future is bright, the future is orange.

Someone post the pic.

Wallpaper size.

fmVqsal.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6

Conspiracy theory time:  That grunt commercial & the MCC XBone bundle were initially set to be released back in November at launch. But they knew the game was broke, Microsoft knew it was broke - so they just put the advertising on hold, put the boxes back in storage and waited for the game to get fixed.

But they only waited for the game to get 1/2 fixed.

Conspiracy theory time:  That grunt commercial & the MCC XBone bundle were initially set to be released back in November at launch. But they knew the game was broke, Microsoft knew it was broke - so they just put the advertising on hold, put the boxes back in storage and waited for the game to get fixed.

But they only waited for the game to get 1/2 fixed.

The grunt ad was released at least 2 months ago in Japan I think. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Comparing three setting changes in H5 (BR Starts, No Radar, No Sprint) to the 10+ for each Halo game in the past is nothing.

Just my opinion.

Totally misinterpreted what you said about sprint being a visual thing earlier in the thread, didn't know you were talking about the viewers perspective. My bad.

That being said, the '10+' changes for previous Halo games were so minor. The biggest being 110 movement speed and damage, BR starts, and those likewise will probably be present in H5 as well to compensate for no sprint.  The rest of the changes were either changing a power weapon, or changing where a weapon spawns.  Those, to me, are such incremental and minor changes that I can't imagine even the n00biest viewer watching a tourny livestream and being confused as to why the sniper was moved from S1 to S3. The rest of the tweaks revolved around spawn times for players and stuff that could easily be overlooked. That, compared to Sprint alone is nothing. Honestly, the difference between watching MLG H3 to Vanilla H3 is very comparable. No Sprint and SA H5 to Vanilla H5 is a humongous difference. I don't really see how you can say that MLG H3 was further from stock then what we're imagining HCS H5 to be.

If you were talking about v7 Reach, you might have a point.

Totally misinterpreted what you said about sprint being a visual thing earlier in the thread, didn't know you were talking about the viewers perspective. My bad.

That being said, the '10+' changes for previous Halo games were so minor. The biggest being 110 movement speed and damage, BR starts, and those likewise will probably be present in H5 as well to compensate for no sprint.  The rest of the changes were either changing a power weapon, or changing where a weapon spawns.  Those, to me, are such incremental and minor changes that I can't imagine even the n00biest viewer watching a tourny livestream and being confused as to why the sniper was moved from S1 to S3. The rest of the tweaks revolved around spawn times for players and stuff that could easily be overlooked. That, compared to Sprint alone is nothing. Honestly, the difference between watching MLG H3 to Vanilla H3 is very comparable. No Sprint and SA H5 to Vanilla H5 is a humongous difference. I don't really see how you can say that MLG H3 was further from stock then what we're imagining HCS H5 to be.

If you were talking about v7 Reach, you might have a point.

Guardian was one of the maps that had very few changes. Every other H3/Reach map was so incredibly modified. Pit had Rockets in Green, CUSTOM POWERUP in Runway, etc. Countdown had Rockets and Snipe (neither of which were on the Default map), Zealot had Grenade Launcher and Snipe (neither on Default).

Hands down, the maps being Vanilla are the most important thing. In addition, we simply cannot use community forge maps moving forward. Developer made maps (either Forge or on-disc) are key for both spectators and new players.

I guess we can agree to disagree but...

That, compared to Sprint alone is nothing. Honestly, the difference between watching MLG H3 to Vanilla H3 is very comparable. No Sprint and SA H5 to Vanilla H5 is a humongous difference.

Watching MLG H3 is very different from the default game. Compared to one action being removed, I find NS H5 to be a very minor change.

Also, I disagree about Movement Speed + Damage increase. Those are minor and passive changes...

• Upvote (+1) 1

iuy8r.jpg

I mean can there be other reasons for all these stolen SA?

the games were in development at the same time, how could they have been stolen?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

the games were in development at the same time, how could they have been stolen?

I've always wondered if game devs ever share what they're doing in development or something. I thought it was like game devs had some camaraderie in that they showed off their ideas for their games. Or maybe i'm just ********, whichever one that is.

I've always wondered if game devs ever share what they're doing in development or something. I thought it was like game devs had some camaraderie in that they showed off their ideas for their games. Or maybe i'm just ********, whichever one that is.

Either that or both games were copying Titanfall's movement and the idea of players in superarmor and just went the same way with it. Sounds plausible believe it or not, although ut doesn't account for where Ground Pound came from
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Either that or both games were copying Titanfall's movement and the idea of players in superarmor and just went the same way with it.

Halo had evading and thrusting before Titanfall was a thing... Spartans have always had "super armor", but it wasn't used to add "special" abilities until Reach.

although ut doesn't account for where Ground Pound came from

It came from Crysis, as did the Slide and Clamber abilities . Thruster came from Unreal Tournament, probably with some titanfall influence (admittedly the Thruster Pack was already in Halo 4, but now it's also visually similar to UT and Titanfall thrusters), Charge is the only somewhat original one but even then it's been done before, even if in slightly different ways (the feral abilities of Far Cry: Instincts come to mind). 

We all know where Sprint and ADS came from.

It's not even that difficult to imagine the discussion 343i (and most likely Sledgehammer Games) had. They even said it themselves in the SA video, they wanted to enhance the feeling of being a supersoldier, and they figured that the safest way to go about it was to take inspiration from how other games succesfully managed to replicate that feeling. 

The AAA industry is becoming less and less interesting as time goes by.

• Upvote (+1) 3