CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think you mean the obfuscation makes the image appear more convoluted and composite and therefore cinematic. The fact that the image is too clear makes focusing on distant objects easier than if you were to just focus on closer ones with a blurred image making things a little less chaotic and imposing for your eyes. It's just a mind trick and I also think it's because we've become more adjusted to 30fps over the years making it somewhat of a nostalgic feeling. I prefer 60fps though, it's less straining on the eyes and the fluidity makes it feel so much more natural. 

You're probably right with the technicalities. With film immersion / realism isn't the be-all-end-all and I think its elements (fractured presentation of time and focus etc) require a suspended belief. That for me extends to general video presentation, I don't want to feel like I'm really sitting playing these games because it requires too much effort and concentration (exaggeration but it definitely feels like more of a chore). Who knows, it could just be conditioning and I'm too stubborn to give 60fps the time of day.

I see blue and black.

343 blatantly jumping on the current hype.

Not that I really care anymore, but why in god's name won't they change the sniper rifle's design? I've NEVER seen a single positive comment about it and it really looks that bad.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Seriously though, how is the armor and customization in the new game, is most of the h4 stuff coming back, there were a few armor sets among the lackluster majority that I liked, or is most of it going to be new?

There will be lots of new stuff, some H4 stuff and some classic stuff. Lots of options - many more than H4.

It's the truth.

Ah yes, the objective truth of subjective opinion.  :kappa:

If there was a video played to students of video game art and design, Halo 4 would be the "how not to do it" video. So massively over designed with absolutely no logic to any of the designs... That "helioskrill" is no different, terribly over designed...

See, that's what's great about "taste" and "opinions" - you can choose to hate things that other people love, and vice versa. The good news is that we'll have plenty of options for everyone so even if you hate a bunch of the designs because they seem overly complicated / detailed / lacking in functional design logic, you can go for the sets that you personally prefer. And you can shoot the people wearing the ones you hate. Win-win.

• Upvote (+1) 9

There will be lots of new stuff, some H4 stuff and some classic stuff. Lots of options - many more than H4.

Ah yes, the objective truth of subjective opinion.  :kappa:

See, that's what's great about "taste" and "opinions" - you can choose to hate things that other people love, and vice versa. The good news is that we'll have plenty of options for everyone so even if you hate a bunch of the designs because they seem overly complicated / detailed / lacking in functional design logic, you can go for the sets that you personally prefer. And you can shoot the people wearing the ones you hate. Win-win.

From what we saw in the Halo 5 armor design, it's significantly better. I know you're not going to directly say what the general nearly all views of the Halo 4 armor was, but I'm glad the art team is showing that the strong criticism was taken note of.

I fucking love Helioskrill. One of the better armor designs in recent memory. My issue with the armor is that they look washed out, especially the red team. It's more like a pale orange-pink than red. 

I actually would love if they looked like the IGN reveal. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just hope I can use master Chiefs campaign armor. Was disappointed that it was different for mp in h4.

Is there a reason why the armors look like they are made of polished plastic? Go back to the battle worn look of Reach.

@@Sal1ent, is the default visor color going to remain as blue?

On a similar note, I cannot stress enough how important it is that Athlon becomes the default armor. Definitely the best design in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lacking in functional design logic

Why would you ever release a game that lacks functional design logic even if there were options to somewhat correct that? Why have the default experience lack design logic?

Why would you ever release a game that lacks functional design logic even if there were options to somewhat correct that? Why have the default experience lack design logic?

You are being super over-dramatic lmao.

Some people want wild and crazy designs. Was there ever any design logic to having a cloud of gas or hearts around your armor in Reach? No... of course not... but it was cool...

Shit guys, give it a rest sometimes. 

Sometimes you guys argue for the sake of arguing. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be fair, the warthog and scorpion have to be the most unfunctional vehicles of all times and nobody ever complains about it.

MCC lacks function so....

I think he was talking about the armor aesthetics. 

"Seem" was the keyword you left out of the quote.

Some people want wild and crazy designs. Was there ever any design logic to having a cloud of gas or hearts around your armor in Reach? No... of course not... but it was cool...

I'm talking about design decisions that aren't purely aesthetic.

We're going to have more maps and gametypes in the final game but with the Maps present in the beta I'd say this is a fair list of gametypes.

Slayer:

- Pegasus

- Truth

- Regret/Empire

Breakout:

- Trench

- Crossfire

Flag:

- Truth

- Empire

Extraction:

- Regret

- Eden

Assault:

- Regret

Oddball:

- Eden

5 'Slayers'

3 Symmetrical Objectives

3 Asymmetrical Objectives

Obviously just hypothetical but it's cool to see how Breakout would fit in a rotation.

but the conversation was based solely on aestheitcs lol...

Perhaps you are, but Sal1ent was not.  The quote from Sal1ent that you are objecting to was restricted solely to the aesthetic design of the armor.  Nothing else.

To me, adding breakout to as competitive variant is like adding SWAT...not what people want to watch. It's a niche experience that appeals to CoD players and casual Halo players, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be enjoyable at a pro level. Sure it has a skill gap, but not in the same way traditional Halo does. I'd much rather see a gametype introduced that's aligned with traditional bomb/SnD but with core Halo gameplay.

I never said that it's not possible, but Breakout has a small ass skill gap IMO

Only if it's played on a poorly designed map.