CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There really is no functional difference other than tightening spread on automatics (this already happened in past Halo's with precision weapons).

I love the cosmetic part of it (in most cases... SMG, Pistol, BR, AR, etc.)

I honestly don't see any specific reason of why should automatics or close-battle weapons have a zoom. From my perspective, the cosmetic it's an interesting idea, and could be better. However I strongly believe the zoom should only be available with precision weapons. No automatics, no swords, no shotguns, etc.

What do you think Ryan? 

Just my opinion, but I feel like Halo 5 is the most visually confusing and unclear Halo yet. The controls seem to be snappier, but good lord there is so much clutter on the maps and really dark shadows or super bright lights that its really a chore to navigate and play. I know its an overrused example, but people could play Midship FFA's up to 1000 kills in H2, while I could never see anyone doing the same on Truth just because of the way the map is visually and the awkward flow of combat. One of my pet peeves is feeling like I am fighting the visuals and mechanics more than I am my opponent(I get this feeling WAY too often in modern FPS) which is part of the reason why I tend to stick to oldschool shooters. The Halo trilogy did a great job of making every map visually clear and giving that satisfying experience of playing a game of skill versus another team with no BS, while in Reach/H4/H5 I feel conscious of the clutter on the maps and the awkward mechanics(sprint+ADS) and it really just feels disjointed to me which is totally "unimmersive" to me. If you look at any modern e-sport, visual clarity and responsive mechanics are really focused on over anything else and H5 definitely needs improvements on that front. I would much rather watch Halo 3 right now than Halo 5 for long periods of time, its visually relaxing and appealing to me as a viewer whereas H5 is all over the place and lacks that simplicity and visual crispness.

• Upvote (+1) 5

to me , halo 3  colors + halo 4 armor +  reach armor battle damage =  :goat:

halo 4 had the worst armor designs in any fucking video game ever made.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Holy shit. That's, like really bad.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just dont understand why you are weaker in breakout? What is the reasoning behind this? You already can't respawn like you are used to, why make it so you also die easier as well. Is it to reduce camping/escaping fights so rounds end faster? Because if thats the reason thats not a very good way to solve that issue - thats just mitigation, not addressing the core issue, which is that there is no objective. Nav-pointed VIPs could work?

Anyways, if we want round based, why not bring back single flag ctf? That shit is so deep with strategy and fun as hell. Need some way to prevent endless "truck and trailering" though, long respawn timers would do it I guess, or 3 lives each per round - ohhh that would be good!

I liked Halo CE's armor customization the best. :halo:

Edit: Still working on a long reply to the role of individual skill in teamwork; maybe I'll finish tonight, but it's hard to say.

Also, in response to *the second to last post*, at least give reasons why you didn't like Halo 4's armor. Just saying it was terrible gives 343 no ideas on how to improve, if they actually should in the first place. I'm not taking any sides on this because my eyesight is pretty terrible; I only really care about aesthetics when it comes to effects on gameplay.

I liked Halo CE's armor customization the best. :halo:

Is it because you can actually pick Black as a colour?  :quinn:

• Upvote (+1) 8

I wouldn't go that far, though I would agree they didn't look Halo-y. They just reminded me more of a mecha anime suit than a Spartan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has death music been removed yet? (Hearing the exact same tune multiple times per game gets extremely annoying, and doesn't add any value to the game)

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Sal1ent Glad to see you posting here again :) Getting hyped for the game, especially looking forward to HCS. Who will be in charge of settings (weapons, maps, toggles, etc.) for HCS playlist and tourneys? 

Agreed. in H5 we don't use the same number for both - these are tracked separately and we take into account other factors like parties/lone wolves to affect match. Overall your breakdown makes sense and for the most part our goals are aligned.

One of the challenges is how this impacts player perception and expectation. It's natural for players to assume that ranking is a reflection of skill (and for the most part it is). Most players expect match to result in teams composed of players of similar rank (as this is a visible indicator of skill). When deltas occur (a more highly skilled player matches in with a lower displayed rank, for example) they naturally cry foul and assume the system is broken. We had a bug in beta where this would occasionally happen behind the scenes resulting in larger than expected deltas between displayed rank and match criteria. This impacted perception and created undesirable behavior (some of which, like quitting, will be addressed at launch via penalties). This problem has since been addressed but it highlights the issue.

Ah.

So the issues in the beta weren't that either number was fundamentally broken in isolation . . . it was that the criteria to resolve the perception issue (by not matching individuals badly mismatched in visible rank even though they had comparable skill estimates) weren't working properly?  I can live with that.

Thank you for the reply.

Death sequence is being adjusted to present classic death cam view by default so you won't hear the death music from beta repeatedly. Main cause of annoyance in beta was repetition (plus the constant reminder that you just died).

Is the respawn timer back? Saw the timer in the Behind the Scenes video, but was kind of strange not seeing it during the beta.

Death sequence is being adjusted to present classic death cam view by default so you won't hear the death music from beta repeatedly. Main cause of annoyance in beta was repetition (plus the constant reminder that you just died).

Is this going to be on a per-player basis like control setup and sensitivity, or will it be a gametype toggle like it was in H4/2A.

Thank god, It felt like I was being teabagged by the game. I don't need to be reminded I died any more than I have to.

Just for clarity, does that mean that Killcam will be OFF by default and you have to turn it on?

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can 100-0 someone in Strongholds. Wanting a gamemode in the HCS just because it's new is a stupid way to think. It's a bad SnD.

But you can come back from 99-0 and win.

Strongholds is glorified territories, It would be really boring to watch.

Breakout during the Beta was cool, round based 1 life gametypes are awesome for viewership and they can be really intense. However the 3rd person camera view waters down the whole experience when you can look around corners and pan the map for your teammates, its almost like an award for dying.

For sure needs objective game modes, I am sure they are aware of this and will be doing something cool with it. The idea of Breakout is fantastic though and I really enjoyed playing it during the beta.

I found strongholds to be really intense to play because a shut out isn't really a shut out. A team can come back from a 0-90 score

Exactly. You can literally 100-0 a team.

But you can come back from 99-0 and win.

You can easily 5-0 a team in Breakout with the right teamwork and individual gunplay, and you can also come back from a 0-4 deficit.

I just dont understand why you are weaker in breakout? What is the reasoning behind this? You already can't respawn like you are used to, why make it so you also die easier as well. Is it to reduce camping/escaping fights so rounds end faster?

I there are a few reasons behind this. One way 343 may justify this decision is the 'speeding up' of gameplay. Gunfights will end quicker and the pace of the match will behave differently than other gamemodes.

Due to the ignorant lack of objective (where is SnD?!), these quick kill times sort of are needed in order to incentivize map movement. A well placed grenade, or a good team push will put one team in a 4-3 situation. From there, they can attempt to collapse on the other team and close out the round (which can be thwarted if the other team has the right positioning).

I'm not going to lie, it is disappointing that the maps and mode (lack of objective) were designed in this way, but if we did have full shields I imagine the gametype would become much more defensive and filled with stalemates.

(Imagine Halo Search and Destroy, full shields, on the disc maps – Empire, Eden, Pegasus... it would be heavenly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can easily 5-0 a team in Breakout with the right teamwork and individual gunplay, and you can also come back from a 0-4 deficit.

yeah, maybe if you're playing against spineless fools. it's just camping and then peaking and hopefully you kill them

I like you Jawshe, but what the fuck are you talking about? You don't want all your videogames ultra realistic?

I mean 30 fps looks more cinematic and more like you're watching a film. Films are done in 30 fps. With 60 fps, motion looks unnaturally smooth and makes the game look more obviously like a video game and not real life.

Its hard to explain, but film students will know what I'm talking about. Look at Halo 3's cinematics now that they are in 60 fps. They look cheezy and "too smooth". Go watch them at 30 fps on the 360 and you can see how much better it looks.

Again I'm only saying 60 fps looks cheezy/cheap when it has no motion blur. When you introduce motion blur like BF4 does, you get a more realistic look. 

I should also restate that I am not suggesting Halo goes back to 30 fps. I like the feel of 60 fps but the look of 30 fps is more cinematic/realistic.

Watch this and compare each side.  MAKE SURE YOU WATCH IT IN MAXIMUM QUALITY. The right side is smoother, but it looks "uncanny" and is clearly a video game. The left side looks more realistic as the 30 fps more closely represents the 24 fps quality of film. Many prefer the smoothness of 60 fps, and for shooters its 100 times better. However, if we are talking realism, 30 fps wins hands down. Again, 60 fps would look just as realistic but it requires extra post processing techniques to achieve it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I mean 30 fps looks more cinematic and more like you're watching a film. Films are done in 30 fps. With 60 fps, motion looks unnaturally smooth and makes the game look more obviously like a video game and not real life.

Its hard to explain, but film students will know what I'm talking about. Look at Halo 3's cinematics now that they are in 60 fps. They look cheezy and "too smooth". Go watch them at 30 fps on the 360 and you can see how much better it looks.

Again I'm only saying 60 fps looks cheezy/cheap when it has no motion blur. When you introduce motion blur like BF4 does, you get a more realistic look. 

I should also restate that I am not suggesting Halo goes back to 30 fps. I like the feel of 60 fps but the look of 30 fps is more cinematic/realistic.

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, maybe if you're playing against spineless fools. it's just camping and then peaking and hopefully you kill them

I never said that it's not possible, but Breakout has a small ass skill gap IMO

I'll admit, Breakout does take less skill than other objective gametypes, but it still puts incredible emphasis on individual gunfights as well as team communication. If anyone on your team makes the wrong move it's game over.

Comparatively, Strongholds is extremely setup oriented. There is nothing wrong with this, but you have to take into account that we already have gamemodes that are extremely reliant on spawn trapping, setups, and map control (Oddball, Extraction, KoTH). When you add in the fact that there are technically 3 focal points (bad for spectators and commentating), it makes it look inferior to the other Asymmetrical gamemodes that I listed above.

Breakout offers a change of pace. It's different. I think of it like a new version of Slayer. We've always had a great mix of Slayer and Objective modes. Each game, we introduced and threw new/different objective modes into the rotation (Extraction, Ricochet, etc.) The reason I'm advocating Breakout so much is because we already have an incredible standard for Halo's objective modes. (CTF/Assault for Symmetrical, Oddball/KoTH/Extraction for asymmetrical). We've always criticized Slayer for being the slowest paced gametype that requires the least team knowledge and communication. Now we have something that is new, refreshing, great for commentators, great for spectators, and will most likely be enjoyed by casual players picking up the game for the first time.

Breakout is love. Breakout is life.