CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Here's what he said:

Hey Shekkles - sorry I didn't respond to your post. I haven't had time to post over the past few days. Here are some quick answers to your questions:

1. Why add smart-link?

A number of reasons. We wanted to make weapon function more consistent across all weapons and create better viability for all base tier weapons (BR, AR, magnum, etc) so that there wasn't a single dominant weapon or one clear choice that made the others feel redundant. With the re-introduction of descope, we wanted to create a less jarring experience when kicked out of zoom and having the holo-projection connected to the weapon provided better awareness for players and offset some of that disorientation (we test this stuff constantly w/ Halo players from outside the studio in Microsoft's user research labs). It was also an aesthetic decision. We wanted to do a better job of visualizing the link between the Spartan's HUD and his weapons and take advantage of the power of the Xbox One to deliver a more polished look.

We're continuing to tweak the transitions in and out of zoom to make them feel more snappy. The sniper rifle in particular is one that didn't feel good in beta. It has since been adjusted and feels much better, less clumsy.

2. Visibility

We're constantly balancing spatial awareness of the scope w/ visibility. The DMR in beta was an example of a scope that was positioned poorly and has since been adjusted. In some cases we may use visibility as an input into weapon tuning. There is definitely an adjustment from past Halo games.

3. Hip Fire

This is just another way of saying "unzoomed" - it's not meant to indicate literally shooting from the hip. 

More later... I have to run.

/Josh

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hmmmm okay I admit I was thinking of the updaded version, Super Slayer or sth. Not MLG v7 but the version where you could only choose jetpack, sprint and holo. It had reduced bloom and so on. In that case I think its worth reconsidering your stance: If I at least weigh sprint, jetty and holo against ADS (AIDS?), CLAMBER (lol), unlimited sprint, the maps, thruster (btw) I def think Reach is closer to the original Halo.

Super Slayer was just an overall term for the TU changes.

Jetpack, Sprint, and Holo were The Arena settings.

I actually like the Smart Link (crucify me), I think the maps are better than Reach, I have only 1 or 2 issues with Clamber but don't mind it. 

Hologram is decent but Jetpack and Reach's Sprint are far more game breaking than H5's mechanics.

@@Sal1ent

On the topic of smart scope, I have one thing to say, and one thing only:

Please, for the love of God, push to making the Magnum actually look not so fricken ridiculous. The only way I can think to do this is to get rid of the iron sights idea on it and make it more akin to the AR's smart scope where the weapon is still angled on the lower right quadrant of the screen. It's just really jarring to use when it looks the way it was in the beta.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If an objective is added to break out the shields need to be full charged for it to work. I don't see objective working with the fast kill times. 

I hated breakout. 

I know nobody will agree with me here but althought 60 fps FEELS great, it looks cheesy and videogame-ey.

We weren't playing a video game all this time? Is Halo real life? Is that why sprint and ADS exist?

I know nobody will agree with me here but althought 60 fps FEELS great, it looks cheesy and videogame-ey. 

I like you Jawshe, but what the fuck are you talking about? You don't want all your videogames ultra realistic?

The cosmetic part of it or the functionality part of it?

There really is no functional difference other than tightening spread on automatics (this already happened in past Halo's with precision weapons).

I love the cosmetic part of it (in most cases... SMG, Pistol, BR, AR, etc.)

• Downvote (-1) 1

I've been itching to play H5. I had tons of fun in the beta. Sprint is a really bad thing for Halo but that doesn't mean a great Halo game cannot be made with it. I wish many of you could adopt a similar mindset, because realistically, sprint is here to stay.

Our focus should be on making sure 343:

1) Doesn't add any more stupid shit (see: Halo 4 ordnance drops)
2) Continues making good maps, which Halo 5 seems to have, though Halo 4 was embarrassingly lacking in maps

3) Creates as good of a gunplay system as possible, which no guys, this does not mean 3sk weapons, the only people who want that are in this community and making a game around that will not mean success for Halo. I personally love the BR in Halo 5.

The Halo fanbase needs to be restored, first and foremost, that should be everyone's priority. No one plays this game. A competitive community cannot begin to grow when the game population itself is so low.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Halo is too cartoon-y. It's time to move forward and onto realistic graphics. It's time to grow up, kids.

I think Halo 1 and 2 aren't cartoony at all. Reach was more realistic as well.

Halo needs to go back to the fact that an alien species wants to genocide humans and they discover a virus that wants to absorb both of them. That's my thoughts anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There really is no functional difference other than tightening spread on automatics (this already happened in past Halo's with precision weapons).

I love the cosmetic part of it (in most cases... SMG, Pistol, BR, AR, etc.)

It tightens spread on the DMR as well

breakout is a niche game mode in the vein of elite swat magnums and i don't understand why 343 is pushing it as something worth spectating, especially on such dull maps. i personally can't take it seriously. if it was based on land grabbing and pistol starts, it could have potential. as a slayer mode with SMG starts on linear and flat maps, it's not going anywhere. 

strongholds is a worse version of 3 plots and on empire it was nothing but a nade fest. 

Okay man. I have to ask and it's something I've always wondered. What the hell is your avatar and where is it from?

A little off topic, but since you asked I'll answer.

I was looking up furry art (for obvious reasons) and I happened to stumble upon it, it suits me perfectly, has my up front and cuddly personality.

but on topic halo started off looking incredibly cartoony, then as the years progressed it (along with just about every other franchise) became more and more realistic, this to me is the one of the dumbest and most boring things that has happened to gaming in the last decade.

Instead of focusing on making games more and more lifelike, they instead should make beautiful and frankly more original looking games in their own way, Borderlands for example had probably the best art design I've seen since, and that's because they didn't stick to the same trend that every other game has.

Halo needs to go back to the fact that an alien species wants to genocide humans and they discover a virus that wants to absorb both of them. That's my thoughts anyway.

I agree. I hated that the covenant in Halo 4 looked merely like some space pirates, the UNSC on the other side seemed to recover in just a few years from an almost total war of extermination.

i think that is due iam acceleration and/or fov

edit:  h3 has  motion blur (according digital foundry)

Not sure aim acceleration is the cause. None of the Halo games use aim acceleration at less than about 90% of the analog stick deflection, so the effects of aim acceleration would only be felt during sustained turns at full deflection. Despite that, it's true that CE and H2C feel like they have zero input lag, while the other games don't. I agree with the observation, but not sure about the cause.

Aim acceleration source: http://drstrangevolt.blogspot.com/2012/12/aim-acceleration-in-console-shooters-part2.html

H3 looks the least cartoony to me. HCE, H2 and Reach all looked like they were pulled right out of a comic book. I like the fact that Halo 5 seems to take a bit of a turn towards Halo 3 in the visual department.

H3 looks the least cartoony to me. HCE, H2 and Reach all looked like they were pulled right out of a comic book. I like the fact that Halo 5 seems to take a bit of a turn towards Halo 3 in the visual department.

Wow, that goes to show how people can have different ideas about what "cartoony" means, because Halo 3 is the most cartoonish to me.

halo3-elite-commando-armor.jpg

normal_Halo_3_Elite_5.png

Cartoony is a dumb word.

CE, 3, 5 are the colorful, vibrant ones (these are the ones I'd call cartoonish)

H2, Reach are the dark, more realistic, gritty ones.

H4 is pale and boring.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The human eye can only see 15 FPS each, we have two so that means we can only perceive 30 FPS max  :kappa: