CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

But then we won't have montage clips of sliding-under-rocket noscopes.

Well I for my part shoot the rocket on the floor and not direct so good luck sliding under it.

Just watched this montage where Kampy replaced all of the H5 weapon sounds with H2/3 weapon sounds. It's amazing how much better the game seems just by getting rid of those garbage sounds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just watched this montage where Kampy replaced all of the H5 weapon sounds with H2/3 weapon sounds. It's amazing how much better the game seems just by getting rid of those garbage sounds.

I have always said that Halo hasnt had good medals or sounds since reach....

I mean how does a game have shitty medals compared to a 5 year old game?

I don't want just blue medals...

• Upvote (+1) 5

There should be different "medal sets" that you can choose from, I'm obviously not a game dev but that doesn't seem too hard to accomplish

There should be a way to change your cross hair color

Why are multi kills all the same color once again 

or all the medals in general

so bad 

Just look at the screen during H5 comparerd to H1-3. Look at all the useless and unnecessary clutter. All the medals that look the same. All the medals for doing nothing. Its the definition of change for the sake of change. I would understand if they brought actual improvements to the table and medals/UI were different but better now but they just aren't. They just spam your screen with garbage to call it new. The art direction is all subjective but I don't think many will argue that the medals used to pop more, each had a more definitive shape and color and were simply more memorable before and for obvious reason. I mean they all look the same and sort of blend together with each other and the environment a lot of the time and you get so many that once you combine all of that they're basically white noise on your screen now where before they popped with bright colors and contrasted with each other and the maps you played on usually. I'm also not really sure what genius thought to put them in the middle of the screen but that definitely doesn't help visibility at all.

I feel like whoever created this UI/made these changes has never played a game where you can customize your own UI. The colors blend like you aren't supposed to notice the medals really but then they smack them nearly in the middle of the screen like its something important to note. They're actually in a more prominent position than your shield or radar (lol) as far as being able to quickly glance at it and back to the action. Which happens to be totally backwards from a gameplay perspective. Maybe I'm crazy but the usual approach for me is positioning the most important information in a way that I can interpret everything that matters in as little time as possible while maximizing visibility of the playable spaces.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah everyone joked about medals becoming meaningless in Reach and that next they would add a medal just for a regular kill and then in Halo 4 yep it's there. 

But now looking back Reach's medals were fine. Perhaps I'd remove a few but overall it's good. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I felt rewarded when I got a medal in Halo 3...  After that I felt like medals were useless spam, I don't really care I killed a guy reloading or a revenge...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah everyone joked about medals become meaningless in Reach and that next they would add a medal just for a regular kill and then in Halo 4 yep it's there. 

But now looking back Reach's medals were fine. Perhaps I'd remove a few but overall it's good. 

I personally wasn't a fan of the grungy look of them, where 2/3 had cleaner designs.

Yeah everyone joked about medals become meaningless in Reach and that next they would add a medal just for a regular kill and then in Halo 4 yep it's there.

I LOVED the spree medals in Reach. Especially the laser sprees.

Assuming people aren't cheating though, doubleshot was the best button combo mechanic to exist in Halo 2 in terms of adding to the game's competitive depth. 

I had a problem with BXR since players who got the first shot off in a gun fight were not allowed to use the combo. If I get outflanked and start taking shots from behind, I can run around a corner. The kill times being so long in Halo 2 allowed for players to escape like this, and if the player that outflanked this player attempts to chase down the kill, he is punished by not being able to use the button combo. Punishing players for doing something right (like giving away their position when a power weapon is picked up in Halo 5) takes away from the game's competitive depth. 

BLB was a better offensive close range mechanic because the risk was much greater- you drop an atomic grenade at your feet if you screw it up. I would have preferred this to be in Halo 2 instead of the BXR, or just had no BXR and only RRBX in Halo 2. 

Meant to upvote this, sorry.

Halo 3s medals were perfect. Same with the bulk of the sounds for medals too. The sensual aspects of Halo 3 were amazing. Didn't like the game itself much though.

I could care less about medals frankly, I think as far as cluttering the screen goes having the option to disable them both visually and sound wise would suffice.

Josh stated they were toning down the medal count in that H5 blog post;

• Medals: decrease frequency and number of medals displayed in the medal fee

I do think the H5 medals are way better than Reach's and 4's. I just wish the time in between multikills were lowered and that each multikill medal was a different color. :(

The only medals I care about are multi kill medals an the assist medal other then that I could careless for every other medal.  I wish they would make it to where you can disable certain medals individually. 

Good Medals:

Multikills (I miss the H2-Reach designs)

Assists

Top Gun

Objectives

Combat Evolved

Sprees and Weapon Sprees

Bad Medals:

Reload This

Avenger

Revenge

Protector

Close Call

Hail Mary

Kill

Power Weapon Kills (Rocket Kill, Sniper Kill, etc.)

Am I the only one that think we should keep the Weapon Kills not for in-game medals but for records/leaderboards/database of a player. Can't express myself properly, but it's more about keeping a record of the player rather than showing how you got a kill in mid-game.

Am I the only one that think we should keep the Weapon Kills not for in-game medals but for records/leaderboards/database of a player. Can't express myself properly, but it's more about keeping a record of the player rather than showing how you got a kill in mid-game.

Halo 3 had more detailed stat tracking without any of that medal nonsense.

Any 343 guys, why does the sniper still look like a tank and take so much of the screen up? Please make it feel smoother and smaller like literally any other Halo besides Halo 4 snipers.

Yes!  Please scrap that hideous Halo 4/5 Sniper Rifle. Another unnecessary change that made zero improvements to Halo.  Just use Halo 2A or Reach's long barrel.  It'd be great if it not only looked like those, but performed like snipers featured in HCE, 2, and 3.  Halo's sniper rifle was nearly as unique as the SPNKR Rocket Launcher.  Must you butcher even how our favorite Halo weapons look?  

Honestly, have you all not had your fill of generalizing this once unique game yet?  Are you guys not satisfied with your mark made on this franchise? Sprint, clamber, ADS, grenade indicators, weapon spawn placement indicators, spartan chatter, thruster packs, jetpack stabilizers, electro magnetic bullets, slide, whatever the hell you call your slip 'n' slide 'n' TKO, and ground pound.  Shall we be forced to sit and painfully watch you mutate Halo any more, or can we finally agree this you've done far more than enough?

The above is all you, despite the fact you've not yet released just the second of your own two Halo titles!  The above list is left standing tall after eliminating customizable loadouts, infinity fiesta ordinances, post game bro-downs, no-descope, your stubborn stance against visible ranks, and more. 

This game is hardly recognizable anymore, and that truly is a shame.  Please put that Hummer of a Halo 4 sniper rifle that somehow managed to see the light of day in H5's beta precisely where it belongs . . . Putting it nicely - Anywhere but in the game.  

Maybe for your next trick you can change those silly plasma grenades.  Yeah!  Just swap them out for mini heat-seeking drone missile grenades, which seek out and navigate their way to the closest enemy!!  Immersive nades!  People don't like it, or see no reason for the change?  Well that's their subjective opinions, to which they're certainly entitled, but still subjective nonetheless.  No bothersome debates there! PERFECT! Spartan bro-fist!  Realistic!  Super-Solider!  Innova...no...  Arena style!

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1