CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Can we just make sure WE don't use sprint in our settings, I don't want none of this 'But it will split the community' bullshit either.

Remove whatever you want, just means when you play with "regular" setting that you'll be way less effective.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The ability to turn sprint off doesn't matter left unless 343 decides to let HCS use no Armour Abilities which I think is unlikely.

I came here expecting at least some people to be happy about things like being able to disable sprint (even if it does "split the community") but I guess not.

Hahah god damn everyone in this forum is fucking delusional. You didn't actually think they were going to remove sprint, right? Jesus Christ. They've been very clear on their stance on sprint. I can totally believe only 11% wanted sprint removed. I'm a hardcore Halo player (and was a 48 in MLG going in solo, if that matters - been playing since H1) - sprint is fine. Do I like it? I'm not sure, but it's not as bad as this group thinks it is. Halo 5 had excellent gameplay - if you think otherwise you're probably looking for the release of Halo 2.5, which is never going to come.

This isn't a case of "adapting," it's about accepting. What was once fantastic gameplay is no longer marketable. 343 is a company with priorities. They need to sell copies to make money. No one is buying a rehash of Halo CE/2. I want the game to feel improved - and it does. Halo 5 feels fantastic. Anyone still bitching about sprint belongs to a SMALL MINORITY. That's why the 11% isn't likely to be a lie - because the majority of people just don't give a shit about it; they recognize good gameplay and aren't stuck on circlejerking about the good ol' days.

The fact that everyone here is bitching about this update is a testament to how fundamentally fucked the "core competitive" players. You're not a core competitive player, you're a relic who can't accept change.

I'm sincerely not trolling, you people are hopeless. They gave you everything you asked for.

I dont want a halo 2.5

I just want a game that is about controlling the map, weapons and teamwork in the style like halo 1,2,3

No sprint, no armor abilities, no bullshit

Is that too much to ask?

• Upvote (+1) 1

But hypothetically speaking Bear, what if all I said came true?

How would I feel if the settings were voted on by pro players?

TBH, I dont care too much about what "pro players" want - you are speaking about a subset of a subset - and I bet only 10% of them even tried to take time out of their twitter schedules to vote themselves, and try to influence H5.

What if said settings were put into a playlist? 

Sure, ill take a "classic" style playlist - and I believe that 343 will give us one regardless. (COD did it with Adavanced Warfare)  However, having a "Classic" playlist is something that we have seen in the past cause a divide, and ultimately did not help increase viewer/fan base. 

Casuals and competitive players want to play a game out of the box that is a good game.  We have offered all the feedback, written the letters, sent the e-mails, made the forum posts, tweeted the right people - and what do we get? "Hey community, we are leaving sprint in, but we will make the base speed faster and the strafe more responsive!"  Those two statements completely counteract one another.  It does not fix the situation, and most likely Sprint, with a faster base speed could make things worse. 

What do I feel we need?  A dev that actually listens to its fans, wants to produce a great game that is unique yet true to its original infrastructure and can deliver on its promises.  Perhaps its time Halo moves on from the hands of 343.

HCS doesn't stop you hosting your own tournaments with no sprint.

Unfortunately, most of the competitive community would rather play a subpar gametype supported by the developer than something they really enjoy.

Halo is dead in the water without dev support. 

Sanctioned events are the only reason we even have tournies right now. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

11% was Josh Holmes stroking his ego....11% my ass Josh Holmes.

There were so many casual and competitive players that both equally agreed that smart scope was dumb and didnt make sense but 343 didnt decide too address that which means that is their definition of "innovating".

Most likely we will eventually get a "HCS" playlist so people competing will be able to play MM for rank just like how in Halo Reach we had the MLG playlist and it always reflected the most recent settings even no sprint.

I think its obvious at this point that 343 still hasnt figured out that keeping people playing your game aftern its been released is way more important then the amount of units you sell. Halo 4 was game of the year and sold very well but what happened not even 1month after the game launched? People moved on and played other things because 343 didnt keep our attention they just said "We got their $50 lets move on to the next project".

My only problem right now is that i just dont want a smart scope on my BR...the BR scope should never change so vastly like in the halo 5 beta...it doesnt work and needs to revert back to what it is supposed to be.

The only weapons that should be given a smart scope are weapons that people have historically ignored in all halo's like the assualt rifle and the pistol...but the main starting weapon BR needs to have me zoomed in and not able to see my surroundings.

Yeah Gandhi has zero credibility, he just wants to start shit for the sake of starting shit

Focus on smite with your boy BRAD

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The HCS is the thing I am most worried about here.

I will be the one to say this though: A TOGGLE IS A MOVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, WE CAN DISABLE SPRINT. 343 RECOGNIZES AT-LEAST THAT A COMMUNITY EXISTS ON HALO THAT DISLIKES SPRINT. 

At first glance I was like "Awesome we can turn sprint off!" however, toggling is not the solution to our problems, and actually creates a few more problems as well. The problem is with the HCS in my opinion. For Halo 5 they are going to want to push a Vanilla experience at HCS events, to promote their game.  This is common sense, and I would be VERY surprised if they played a version of their game at the first HCS event that featured sprint toggled OFF.  I just do not see it happening.

This is bad for a few reasons:

1. It puts 343/HCS in a tough position. Instead of taking a firm stance (Sprint is staying or Sprint is removed) they chose to try and have the best of both worlds, which is a problem when they now have to decide what settings to use in the HCS.

2.The competitive community will be annoyed, complain, and become more "toxic" than we apparently already are, if sprint is used.

3. The fact that the community and players KNOW that a more competitive and better game is available with the click of a toggle button, but ARE NOT able to #immerse themselves in that superior experience when playing for money at HCS tournaments, will just spark further outrage.

4. Sanctioned HCS events have to use the official HCS settings, so if they want their events to earn points they have to play whatever the official rule-set is (pretty standard). If sprint is in the official HCS settings, then any Sanctioned event will be using sprint in the settings, unless they change this rule which they wont (and I would not either).

So basically: 

Using sprint = watered down competitive experience, wasting Halo 5's competitive potential - but will connect with the casual fanbase that will recognize the out of the box game that the HCS would be showcasing.

Not using Sprint = Alienating casual players from a stream, but offering a better competitive experience for actual competitors playing for money.

Really not much has changed in my eyes, unless they toggle sprint off for HCS events (Which I do not think they will). If anything the "Toggle" is a mere stepping stone on the long and frustrating path to get sprint out of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

11% was Josh Holmes stroking his ego....11% my ass Josh Holmes.

Reality check

Players of other arena fps games (Especially the UT crowd) who were not big fans of older Halo titles are not opposed to sprint and thrust at all

A lot of people who don't like Halo don't like it due to the shallow movement system

11% sounds like the MLG crowd given past player pops

• Downvote (-1) 13

yup...this is all about the bigger picture which is basically "we are fucked competitively". Having customs with no sprint or a classic playlist does not quench my thirst for competitive Halo, what about online/lan tourneys that I would like to participate in or watch? Am I going to watch Halo 5 with all of it's abilities with radar disabled and enjoy it...NOPE. Am I going to want to play a competitive playlist for HCS with sprint/thruster and these other abilities? NOPE. 

This is gonna be a disaster.

• Upvote (+1) 5

dude just fyi Scott gandhi quit halo and gave up on this community back in 09'..he was dropped off of carbon for goodness sake... @@Scott gandhi..go to your smite community ..we got his without you "savage".

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I dont want a halo 2.5

I just want a game that is about controlling the map, weapons and teamwork in the style like halo 1,2,3

No sprint, no armor abilities, no bullshit

Is that too much to ask?

I mean, other than No Sprint that is pretty much what they gave us...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I came here expecting at least some people to be happy about things like being able to disable sprint (even if it does "split the community") but I guess not.

Yeah I don't really get it either

No one is even happy that sprint got nerfed

For all you know it can be a change from 100%->150% movespeed to 110%->125% or something

And holy shit they finally increased the ground acceleration we've been complaining about that since Halo 2

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The HCS is the thing I am most worried about here.

...great post snip....

This is a great post Saucey but I have to disagree with you on your final point. I sincerely think you are overestimating the appearance of sprint for HCS. I don't think a single (serious) casual play will look at the HCS and be like, "ew, there's no sprint here, I hate this, Halo sucks, etc". 

I think no sprint (or better yet, have pros decide HCS setting prior to launch and implement them into an HCS playlist/HCS tourney settings) would look fine for HCS. Not to mention you won't have the whole chat filled with toxic garbage and players won't be complaining about sprint during/after tourneys (we know some pros get irrationally salty after losses, what better way than to blame the game?). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean, other than No Sprint that is pretty much what they gave us...

I think he's just lumping AAs with spartan abilities.

for halo 5 is what i meant

if they go with sprint, most of the people here and other competitive players arent going to play those settings or care about what happens at tournaments.

if they go with no sprint, you lose a lot of the casual viewers who are used to playing with sprint

I thought it was confirmed by multiple halo community websites that casuals also prefer no sprint? If this is false, it doesn't matter what settings we use for the HCS, one group is always going to be unhappy.

So basically: 

Using sprint = watered down competitive experience, wasting Halo 5's competitive potential - but will connect with the casual fanbase that will recognize the out of the box game that the HCS would be showcasing.

Not using Sprint = Alienating casual players from a stream, but offering a better competitive experience for actual competitors playing for money.

If they had started the blog with "Sprint has been removed and the base movement speed is faster" literally no one would rage. Not one person would say "shit...i'm not buying Halo 5 because sprint is removed". I don't get how they can't understand this. There are other ways that you can bring a halo title into the next-generation of shooters, they've already done other stuff with the game to keep it fresh, they don't need to force this cancerous mechanic into the franchise anymore, they just don't realize it or care to.

Sprint's domino effect is ridiculous. It affects so many things inside and outside of the game. Sigh.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not sure why everyone is so worried about sprint being a complete game breaking thing for halo.

There are so many more things that have always made a clear separation between vanilla halo and esports halo... And it was never sprint.

199.jpg

2Z1hazS.png

M-Muh immersion!

Someone needs to make a poll on here, waypoint and reddit titled "Would you still buy Halo 5 if Sprint was removed?" with a Yes or No choice. I would love to see the numbers and compare them to the previous polls on these sites regarding sprint.

I think he's just lumping AAs with spartan abilities.

Then it's just Halo 2.5 (which he said he didn't want).

Also, Spartan Abilities are drastically different from AA's. Most work IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1