CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Also, I wonder how 343 will react when most of the top players play No Sprint customs instead

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sprint: Now less annoying with faster base speed, slower sprint speed. Good for the toggle options but the big problem is now that 343 is in control of tournaments. I doubt they will have tournament rules without sprint. 

Maps: No mention of maps, the maps in the beta were average to bad. Now with the added abilities designing great maps will be much harder for 343.

Increase strafe acceleration (faster, more responsive strafing). Good, but the bullet magnetism in the beta was ridiculous.

Not mention of Flinch in the blog. It will be removed right? right?

Sniper will be less clunky, good.

I like how they are working in the CSR.

Holy shit dude. You go around saying "burn 343 to the ground" and you didnt even fucking read the blog?

The blog states:

Base movement speed increase

Sprint speed reduced

Strafing speed increased

FOR EVERYTHING ACROSS THE WHOLE GAME.

Toggles for no sprint and spartan abilities are in custom games.

I stopped being a 343 nuthugger long before this blog was posted.

But thanks for the clarification - cant get to Waypoint on this work computer.  :)

I stopped being a 343 nuthugger long before this blog was posted.

But thanks for the clarification - cant get to Waypoint on this work computer.  :)

Lmao, come on now dude. Theres a middle ground between terrorism and nuthugging. I'm not asking you to nuthug anything, just don't say shit like that. Far better ways to show your distaste. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, I wonder how 343 will react when most of the top players play No Sprint customs instead

I'm all for that if everyone follows, but I think HCS will be a major factor in determining what the top players are playing. HCS will likely have sprint. Halo pros are older, need to make money - they'll play what they're given.

I was gonna play Halo regardless, even if MP sucks Im a big coop/campaign guy. 

Not to mention, I still have hope for HCS being no sprint by default which will be the gold standard for competitive play. 

Here's the thing about that...when someone on twitter asked Quinn if we will be able to have toggles to create our own settings for competitive gametypes and to let Ghost be in charge of doing so he replied saying "if ghost makes changes for competitive gametypes then he will be tweaking the whole game, there will be no more disparity between social and competitive gametypes"...343 wants casuals and competitive players to play the same game (minus the obvious like radar), just look at H2A, competitive settings are the exact same as what you can play in default h2a playlists (minus a few changes).

I don't know if their stance on the matter will change after this blog, but I doubt it. The worst thing that could happen is commentators on streams saying "player A pushed and killed player B because player B couldn't sprint/thrust away" on accident while 10,000 ppl are watching. 

I'm excited for Halo 5 in regards to the general public seeming to be excited for it. I hope they really get a game they can enjoy and have fun playing, and I hope Halo 5 brings back some semblance of its former greatness in regards to multiplayer population. However, when I play CoD, BF, Halo, Titanfall, it all just feels boring like its all the same game. I like unique experiences, and Halo really feels similar to that military shooter club. I may come back for Halo 5, which would require me to repurchase my Xbox (without Kinect this time) but until then i'll probably be on League, CSGO, Hearthstone...oddly all PC games:P 

Also I must say, I actually do enjoy almost all the changes they said they'll be making, but i'm curious/worried about how the Windows 10/PC cross over will go. Still curious if they'll make it cross platform to PC, and if those people will get wrecked by people playing with KB/M, or if they'll need a controller if they play on PC, etc. Many unanswered questions on that stuff.

Also Halo is still dealing with a very underdeveloped eSports League and a game that functions...incorrectly. They have a lot of work to do in those regards still, but i'm hopeful the community can at least get to a working status soon. These lobby streams and glitched "LAN" games are really hurting the game as a whole. Also I wonder if MLG is honestly the way to go as far as Halo is concerned. ESL can blow the doors off every event but I still don't see Halo being happy unless it's under the MLG moniker...which is totally understandable. Perhaps the contracts are only until Season 1 ends, maybe there's a glimmer of hope there for everyone...altho do we need Halo on Twitch or would MLG.tv be fine? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What More did no on "on Halo I like to sprint" need? Clearly that wasn't the question they used to publish those results

Catherine is so good dude. Ever tried competitive Catherine? It's really fun. Have a 2 drink MM with DacidBro in Catherine at Evo

I watched bits and pieces of tournaments, otherwise I've just played for fun with some friends, but I lent the game to one of them so he could practice and he's waiting to play me again, so I'm really looking forward to that. I wasn't expecting much from the multiplayer, but I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would.

I have to ask, did you win the match?

I almost forgot about the HCS...LOL...how is this gonna work when Quinn stated almost a year ago that competitive settings and the default game will play the same? Who the fuck is gonna play competitive halo 5 with sprint and all those other abilities?  :lol:

Well, to answer your question literally.. the pros will most definitely play. If you haven't noticed from this forum, they aren't nearly as anti sprint as us and want to make money. 

The real question is who is going to watch? Not me 

Regarding the 11%--what makes no sense is that participating in the beta requires you to be more "hardcore" than going on Waypoint... so I dont understand how the number can drop from 70 to 11, even if they only included 1 out of 5 options.

It is ironic how Josh has historically linked Selection Bias yet only revealed the results of one of the anti-sprint options. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please try and be respectful to other members and staff at 343i. As always:

CRITICISM is the analysis and judgement of the merits and faults of a piece or body of work.

CRITICISM is allowed on our forums.

Examples of CRITICISM:

• Ordnance drops aren't good for Halo because they reduce the skill-set to acquire weapons.
  • Legendary Slayer is a poor representation of "classic" Halo.
  • Pitfall is a poor remake because it lacks key elements that The Pit had, including vibrant colors and the beloved Yellow Pads you could jump up onto.

BASHING is the unnecessary venting of pure frustration, often aimed to demean or ridicule and commonly done passive-aggressively (which is also against the rules) on forums.

BASHING is NOT allowed on our forums.

Examples of BASHING:

• "I need to know if this guy has ever played Halo before."
  • "All I've wanted from this sorry excuse for a Halo game was a classic playlist."
  • 343 doesn't get it / doesn't know what Halo is / etc.

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yes, the 11% is bullshit, but I'm satisfied with that change to sprint. More upset about the abomination that is smart scope. 

Also, #BuffThePistol.

you're gonna spend $60 to play one playlist with no sprint and big maps and gameplay built around having sprint?

If it plays well, yes.

I watched bits and pieces of tournaments, otherwise I've just played for fun with some friends, but I lent the game to one of them so he could practice and he's waiting to play me again, so I'm really looking forward to that. I wasn't expecting much from the multiplayer, but I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would.

I have to ask, did you win the match?

Haven't played the match yet. Will be happening in July. Looking forward to it though

Lmao, come on now dude. Theres a middle ground between terrorism and nuthugging. I'm not asking you to nuthug anything, just don't say shit like that. Far better ways to show your distaste. 

I merely agreed with someone else's post, but in no way do I believe he implied any type of terrorism.  Pretty sure he was speaking figuratively.   But touche, let me make my stance, 343 has proven themselves to be detatched from what I believe the direction of Halo should be taking.  My fear is that they did not learn from the mistake that was H4, and the issues with MCC have only compounded, leading to a severe lack of credibility.  I believe they have mislead consumers, intentionally with held information, and have lacked the transparency needed to rectify the misteps they have made.  I would love to say that I see a bright future for Halo 5, but based on the past and what I saw in the beta - I do not believe that a "toggle" option for sprint, with increased base speed will lead to a resurrection of competitive Halo. I will not give another dime of my money to 343, and I hope that others choose to do the same.  The only, "burning" that I hope happens is the 60 dollars in my pocket as it waits to be used for another purchase. 

Better? More politically correct?  I guess I will need to vet my posts from now on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Who plays multiplayer for immersion? Seriously? Who? How I'm meant to be immersed when I walk in on my teammate t-bagging a body or when he keeps shooting me because I got the sniper?

No one cares about immersion in multiplayer, the fact smart scope is on automatics to "reinforce a connection between Spartans and their weapons" is one of the biggest sentences full of ******** I've ever read and I'm writing my history coursework here.

Riot, Blizzard, Valve, the biggest eSports orgs in the game all say they put gameplay ahead of immersion and graphics....I like this very much. Gameplay should always trump anything....altho having said that Halo has always been more about the campaign and lore as far as sales go, so that's probably their reasoning behind immersion. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't played the match yet. Will be happening in July. Looking forward to it though

Oh, I thought you meant had instead of have. That's awesome, I'll have to bug you about that when it comes around. Are you competing in Smash again?

The real question is who is going to watch? Not me 

This is what killed Reach and Halo 4 competitively. You need the viewers to thrive, it doesn't matter how many ppl play the game if you get 5,000-10,000 viewers watching the finals of a big tourney. I don't even know if the numbers will get that high because we really started avg 10,000 with H2A...Reach and H4 struggled to sustain such "high numbers".