CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The changes to Halo 5 multiplayer made me a bit excited for the game. But I wonder how playing these maps with no sprint will be.

What the fuck? That's exactly what we're saying lol. People will buy the fucking game regardless of gameplay.

They won't keep playing it though if they don't change it, because it wouldn't feel like the typical FPS these days, which is unfortunately what people want to play.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The changes to Halo 5 multiplayer made me a bit excited for the game. But I wonder how playing these maps with no sprint will be.

It might be great with an increased movement speed. I felt the maps played good for not sprinting 75% of the time.

They won't keep playing it though if they don't change it, because it wouldn't feel like the typical FPS these days, which is unfortunately what people want to play.

How do you know this? Reach and Halo 4 both failed miserably.

Yes. And it's the same issue that it is currently, and that is the fact that it will eventually become segregated communities.. As much as we call waypoint people scrubs, we want to play with them. We need them and as much as they deny it, they need us.

It has always been segregated though, even in Halo 2/3, but it wasn't a problem during those days. If the polls about sprint from the different community websites are true, the majority will play and watch no sprint gameplay anyways. Will waypoint scrubs play Halo 5 no sprint for months after release? I don't think 343 wants to take the risk of removing sprint completely because of waypoint scrubs who constantly insist that we need sprint. I'm looking at this update as a safe median for everyone.

I can't neg anymore. 

But in all honesty I'll pickup Halo 5 used, like I had planned to do anyway. Though I am excited that the base movement got a buff because I could traverse most the maps at the beta base movement speed with relative speed. The only map that the movement speed was a huge issue on was Eden (but then it's Eden). So I'll play Halo 5, mainly for campaign, but some multiplayer. However most of my time will be spent on Halo MCC because I want to play gameplay that is original compared to todays shooters.

Also, thank you Based Battlefield for arriving the year I don't buy a Halo game new. I may get a limited edition of Battlefield if it's announced

jesus christ guys...

Right because I literally mean "burn" -- come on man.  You really gotta stop reading into every complaint that someone posts.  You are going to drive yoruself crazy. 

Whether or not 11% is accurate is honestly completely irrelevant. If it isn't clear by now from Reach and H4, 343 could introduce or remove literally any mechanic to Halo and the masses would still eat it up.

Make design decisions based on LOGIC. Even if the vast majority of Halo players did want sprint, the vast majority of Halo players have also been abandoning the game the second the new COD comes out. In order to have a successful title post launch, decisions need to be made based on the ACTUAL MERIT of those decisions, regardless of what the players who drop the game two seconds after launch think.

The blog post has not changed my decision to not purchase H5. Until sprint is completely removed across at bare minimum all non-BTB lists and I get an option for classic scoping, no amount of tweaking will change that fact.

Seriously, if "Smart Scope" is "only aesthetic" why can't I get a classic option? Programming in the zooming animation can't possibly take too many resources.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm now stuck in a limbo on whether or not to make a purchase on the game. I will just wait and see how it turns out and maybe buy it a few weeks after the game has been out to see everyone's opinion on it.

You guys are in denial if you don't believe that only 11% of players don't want sprint. People are dumb, I mean really dumb, some players believe that Sprint should stay because Super Soldiers should be able tu run... we have always been in the minority, get over it.

Democracy doesn't work, nothing new.

I wish that only people with a certain level of knowledge could effect any change, but that's not how it works.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They should do a poll to see how quickly the other 89% 'pro sprint' guys will drop Halo once the next Call of Duty title is released.

I had no intention of buying H5, but it looks like I won't be buying any future Halo titles either based on their distorted vision. I just hope they at least fix the MCC so I can continue to play a real Halo game.

I thougth base movement speed increase was just an option they are allowing in custom games.

Am I wrong about this?  Because people are making it seem that the overall in game speed is changing.

>Total Kills

>Total Assists

>Total Gameplay Hours
>Total Ground Pound Kills
>Total Spartan Charge Kills
>Total Shots Fired

But no >Total number of players.

>Total hours watched of beta content on twitch
>Most minutes watched on twitch ninja
>most unique viewers on twitch

But the game didn't even had 30k peak even the first day.

No Sprint only in customs i don't even touch customs.

>Reduce bonuses for automatic weapons in Smart-Link

Reduce not removed, k.

k
  • Upvote (+1) 3

You guys are in denial if you don't believe that only 11% of players don't want sprint. People are dumb, I mean really dumb, some players believe that Sprint should stay because Super Soldiers should be able tu run... we have always been in the minority, get over it.

yeah i feel like im taking crazy pills... even when the previous no sprints polls were taken there were only what, like 2k people voting? we're so fucking small, even smaller now. 

not to mention there is literally only one definitive option for zero sprint in halo on the question, if you picked anything other than "no sprint in halo" you failed us.

Guess you didn't see the poll options - you couldn't suggest anything if you said Sprint should not be in Halo. Hence, many on Beyond chose other options, so they could write (myself included). 

I'm more pissed that there are toggles - not more settings debates! 

And also pissed at smart-scope and Gandhi pro-343 shill.

I think this game is better than a lot of people here give it credit for, but personally there's not much reason to buy it day one. I usually buy games day one that are either interesting (anyone play Catherine?), have some sort of interesting history/story behind development (Duke Nukem Forever), or I know will fit my tastes.

I think this game will be good, but not something that I would invest significant amounts of time into, and I already have a lot of games that could use some attention. I'm not sure how to answer this poll. In one sense I think the game is fine, but it's not what I want it to be. I think the changes are good, but they're not exactly what I want, and I don't think 343 will bend anything further to account for my wishes.

I'm just indifferent to the whole situation. It'll be kind of like Call of Duty to me, I may pick it up if it's on sale, play a few hours of multiplayer, play a few hours of single player, and just leave the game alone. Not because it's terrible, but there's other things that I want to get through and playing Halo 5 would not be a priority.

Catherine is so good dude. Ever tried competitive Catherine? It's really fun. Have a 2 drink MM with DacidBro in Catherine at Evo

• Upvote (+1) 1

It has always been segregated though, even in Halo 2/3, but it wasn't a problem during those days. If the polls about sprint from the different community websites are true, the majority will play and watch no sprint gameplay anyways. Will waypoint scrubs play Halo 5 no sprint for months after release? I don't think 343 wants to take the risk of removing sprint completely because of waypoint scrubs who constantly insist that we need sprint. I'm looking at this update as a safe median for everyone.

Yeah, same. I think a lot of guys who want Sprint taken out are not realizing they aren't the base target of the game. Unfortunately kids 15-24 are the target. They've grown up with Sprint in their FPS games and I think how 343 is making classic game types as well as the armor abilities and sprint togglable in customs is a great way to still have it both ways. Do you guys REALLY think 343 wants to voluntarily make you guys mad? Do you really think they love all of the trash talk they get? I'm sure they're trying their best and have obviously made bad decisions and are trying to fix everything while still being able to shoot for a bigger base of players

I thougth base movement speed increase was just an option they are allowing in custom games.

Am I wrong about this?  Because people are making it seem that the overall in game speed is changing.

Holy shit dude. You go around saying "burn 343 to the ground" and you didnt even fucking read the blog?

The blog states:

Base movement speed increase

Sprint speed reduced

Strafing speed increased

FOR EVERYTHING ACROSS THE WHOLE GAME.

Toggles for no sprint and spartan abilities are in custom games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As I read it, overall difference between sprint and base movement is shrinking to due to Sprint decrease and base movement increase. I wasn't expecting much else though.

Some of the other improvements that we are making to Spartan Abilities and general mobility coming out of the beta:

• Increase base speed (faster base movement)
  • Increase strafe acceleration (faster, more responsive strafing)
  • Reduce top sprint speed (narrow the delta between base movement and sprint)
  • Modify Ground Pound controls to prevent conflicts w/ crouch jumping
  • General tuning & bug fixes for all Spartan Abilities (Thrusters, Clamber, Ground Pound, etc.)

Ah, I get what you mean. He is technically right - wording answers like that to get the results you want is pretty common. Disappointed to see people still fall for it.

typical marketing techniques, giving more options so they can ignore the written because they could not possibly read them all

Easily could have put "do you want sprint in halo"

Yes and why

No and why

it doesn't matter as long as they gave the illusion that you had a small impact.

Check and mate, they now have any statistic they want for freedom of development and I guarantee they don't release poll results.