CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Huh?

Scoping in never made your shots more accurate.

To be fair, it did. Auto aim wouldn't kick in on long range targets so scoping gave a huge advantage in long range fights.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't remember that. got some proof buddy?

Say you have a 2x Scope on you gun, if your shots can land anywhere inside of your reticle (like Reach's DMR or any Automatic Rifle), when you zoom in your shots are going to be twice as accurate, as it would be like making your reticle twice as small.

I mean, it sounds easy to me to understand that if you see a smaller portion of a surface you can only land your shots on that smaller portion of the surface.

As I said, we were never able to zoom with Autos, but if we could, it'd be the same. You are NOT going to be more accurate with any gun that shoots precisely in the center of the reticle, that's for sure. But that's not the case with Automatics.

For example, I'm pretty sure that ODST's SMG has the same effect on a wall.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Say you have a 2x Scope on you gun, if your shots can land anywhere inside of your reticle (like Reach's DMR or any Automatic Rifle), when you zoom in your shots are going to be twice as accurate, as it would be like making your reticle twice as small.

I mean, it sounds easy to me to understand that if you see a smaller portion of a surface you can only land your shots on that smaller portion of the surface.

As I said, we where never able to zoom with Autos, but if we could, it'd be the same. You are NOT going to be more accurate with any gun that shoots precisely in the center of the reticle, that's for sure. But that's not the case with Automatics.

For example, I'm pretty sure that ODST's SMG has the same effect on a wall.

The biggest problem in my opinion is that it basically looks like ADS. Gone is the scoping where you actually saw what the gun saw, instead replaced with generic Call of Duty ADS.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The biggest problem in my opinion is that it basically looks like ADS. Gone is the scoping where you actually saw what the gun saw, instead replaced with generic Call of Duty ADS.

My biggest problem with ADS is the motherfucking screen obstruction! In halo, zooming in gives you no screen obstruction and longer range at the expense of a smaller FOV (and in some cases no radar). It worked wonderfully.

Now with ADS no matter what you do your screen is obtrsucted. I die so many times because of this in CoD (because i dont know the spawn like the back of my hand and i play solo), and if I buy H5 the same thing is going to constantly happen, especially with the stupidly powerful automatics. If i get flanked from a lower level by some shitcunt AR kid, Im the most screwed ive ever been.

To be fair, it did. Auto aim wouldn't kick in on long range targets so scoping gave a huge advantage in long range fights.

Just about too say this.

It's why quick scoping was a big thing in H2 and Reach.

Wow, people are defending a bastardized version of scoping that LITERALLY DESTROYS THE LORE and is a poor man's ADS visually. I AM MEDIUM RARE DONE

I am in no way defending smart scope, I think it breaks the game in many ways and would prefer it to be gone, my point is that it's like a quasi ads, it doesn't go all the way.

so much irony in that twitter discussion, especially on quinn's part

ummm...what beta did you play?

by hipfire penalty, I meant totally unusable hipfire, which isn't what we have now, I'm aware of the accuracy boost. Movement penalties and sensitivity penalties are still left out, what we have in h5 is a quasi ads mechanic.

I am in no way defending smart scope, I think it breaks the game in many ways and would prefer it to be gone, my point is that it's like a quasi ads, it doesn't go all the way.

I've been thinking of a compromise to make it less ADS appearance wise. I don't know if they would give us our traditional scope back at this point, but a compromise I've thought of is making scoping work like it does on the AR. Not by changing bullet spread, but the way the gun scopes. It just brings it up to around hip level and you can still see the weapon, but there's no stupid obstruction in the middle of the screen. If this doesn't make sense lmk and I'll try to explain further.

On to the bullet spread of current ads on the auto rifles: that shit needs to go.

From Bravo's Waypoint post:

HALO 5: GUARDIANS MULTIPLAYER BETA – WHAT’S NEXT

During and since the beta, the Halo 5 team has been pouring over community feedback and data to build an extensive list of improvements for the game. I’ve been able to discuss some of the changes with Executive Producer Josh Holmes, and he’s working on a blog that will provide you with the details of what the team is working on, complete with a healthy list of learnings and changes from the beta. Stay tuned – I’m excited about it and I think it’s gonna be a good one.

:quinn:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yep, but that's red reticle range. The problem with ADS in H5 is that it literally gives an accuracy increase on top of the other benefits to being scoped. You're literally punished with a lot less accuracy in your shots if you get descoped. It's one more thing 343 have sneaked into H5 in an attempt to make it like every other modern shooter.

On a side note (this is not aimed at anyone in particular), it's great how people will find ways of defending a bad game mechanic for Halo by saying: "Yeah but it doesn't have every trait that CoD's version has, therefore it's not bad". Great, so it's only 70% of a bad game mechanic. Well that's totally OK then. And there was me thinking it was bad. Silly me.

I have no doubt that if H5's ADS hindered movement, but didn't decrease spread, then 343 and their cheerleaders would be defending it by saying: "Yeah but it doesn't decrease spread, so it's not the same as CoD's ADS. It's fine".

"It's not 100% like CoD's version" - This is not a reason to include a feature in a game. And while we're on the subject, neither is: "It might bring in more players and viewers, so let's slap it on Halo!". Get a grip people. You add it into Halo if it benefits Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Was there a glitch with the Kill Cams in the Beta?

I swear a lot of the kill cams I watched had people constantly zooming in and out. It was like they were trying to do that snap to enemy aiming thing you can use in the COD Campaigns. Not while they were taking damage either so it wasn't descope.

I wouldn't mind ****** strength autos if they drop a shot to kill for precisions across the board. S'pose it'd help with sprint as well..

I swear a lot of the kill cams I watched had people constantly zooming in and out. It was like they were trying to do that snap to enemy aiming thing you can use in the COD Campaigns. Not while they were taking damage either so it wasn't descope.

Yeah, it was a glitch with the kill cams.

I wouldn't mind ****** strength autos if they drop a shot to kill for precisions across the board. S'pose it'd help with sprint as well..

i actually think the kill times are perfect in the game, the slowest killing gun, the DMR, kills in 1.4 seconds, and even that I would consider optimal.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yup, glitch with kill cams and spectator mode. 

I get the feeling that Quinn is not much of a gamer and hardly knew anything about Halo when he was hired. He saw that CoD is the most popular FPS and figured that the closest he makes Halo to CoD, the better received the game will be. The evidence that this guy has no real experience with the FPS genre is staggering.

The same can be said for Josh Holmes and from what I saw in 'The Sprint', Holmes and Quinn are good friends, thus likely sharing the same interests and opinions (reasons why Halo 4 and Halo 5 are both chasing the same idea). I'm just spitballing, but I'm confident that the situation at 343 is close to this.

I get the feeling that Quinn is not much of a gamer and hardly knew anything about Halo when he was hired. He saw that CoD is the most popular FPS and figured that the closest he makes Halo to CoD, the better received the game will be. The evidence that this guy has no real experience with the FPS genre is staggering.

The same can be said for Josh Holmes and from what I saw in 'The Sprint', Holmes and Quinn are good friends, thus likely sharing the same interests and opinions (reasons why Halo 4 and Halo 5 are both chasing the same idea). I'm just spitballing, but I'm confident that the situation at 343 is close to this.

Quin prob is playing Viva Pinata inbetween eating Chipotle and thinking of ways to ruin Halo

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They may not know Halo as much as us, but this is one of the more dumb (for lack of a better word) speculations I've ever read on this site, ever. 

edit: welp, that record was passed quickly, thanks bear

people don't get in these positions by "not being gamers", gamers come in all different types and flavors. If your definition of a gamer = halo player then you need to stop being ignorant.

Like I said though, they probably didn't know Halo as much as any of us when they started. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

They may not know Halo as much as us, but this is one of the more dumb (for lack of a better word) speculations I've ever read on this site, ever. 

people don't get in these positions by "not being gamers", gamers come in all different types and flavors. If your definition of a gamer = halo player then you need to stop being ignorant.

Like I said though, they probably didn't know Halo as much as any of us when they started. 

to be fair, it is amazing how Holmes and Franklin have such high up jobs. Holmes made the shitty Turok, Franklin made the shitty SOCOM games which killed the series, yet here they are working on Xbox's prize gem

• Upvote (+1) 3

Auto Aim kicking in is not the same as your gun literally becoming more accurate.

I meant in terms of not being experienced in different genres. You read too much into it.

to be fair, it is amazing how Holmes and Franklin have such high up jobs. Holmes made the shitty Turok, Franklin made the shitty SOCOM games which killed the series, yet here they are working on Xbox's prize gem

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

• Upvote (+1) 4

perfectly valid complaint

They have to prove themselves with Halo 5, I hope for MS it's put up or shut up time. Nothing against them personally, I don't want them to think I don't appreciate the effort, but some people just aren't right for certain franchises

80EGN7a.jpg

I was 99% joking of course, but then again............... you never know ;)

holmes is too high up, I was really worried when he became a producer, and I feel bad for longo because he's actually a good developer. What was Franklins job when he worked on socom?

holmes is too high up, I was really worried when he became a producer, and I feel bad for longo because he's actually a good developer. What was Franklins job when he worked on socom?

some sort of multiplayer role, how ironic