CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@ We shouldn't sacrifise too much competitiveness for a bigger scene for then there's no purpose--it'll become a game I, and many others, don't even like, which is pointless.

You cite NBNS, yet we had an incredibly successful event.

Obviously it should be ideally the same. But if vanilla sucks then I advocate changing it to make it enjoyable.

This isn't a legitimate counter argument. You have a problem with getting dumped on by Mouse & Keyboard? It's simple, adapt. You guys already did it with Scuf controllers. If you want an even playing field, I guess you better get a M&KB

I think you're underestimating just how much of an advantage a good KB+M player has. It's not as simple as being able to jetpack on bumper jumper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This isn't a legitimate counter argument. You have a problem with getting dumped on by Mouse & Keyboard? It's simple, adapt. You guys already did it with Scuf controllers. If you want an even playing field, I guess you better get a M&KB

Do you really think owning a Scuf is the equivalent of a mouse and keyboard? How would you "adapt"? I have no clue what you're saying and I'm probably the only one here who has constantly been playing against PC guys on Shadowrun for years now. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

KB&M players would shit all over controller players all day. i dont care how good you think you are. Get two equal players with the same mental halo skill, and the KB&M person would win every time.

KB&M players would shit all over controller players all day. i dont care how good you think you are. Get two equal players with the same mental halo skill, and the KB&M person would win every time.

What does this have to do with anything?

I think you're underestimating just how much of an advantage a good KB+M player has. It's not as simple as being able to jetpack on bumper jumper.

I'm not underestimating at all, all I play on is PC FPS games. Don't tell me I underestimate the advantage.

Do you really think owning a Scuf is the equivalent of a mouse and keyboard? How would you "adapt"? I have no clue what you're saying and I'm probably the only one here who has constantly been playing against PC guys on Shadowrun for years now. 

I mean, if you want to be constantly stomped on by M&KB players, then by all means continue using your controller.

I'm not underestimating at all, all I play on is PC FPS games. Don't tell me I underestimate the advantage.

I mean, if you want to be constantly stomped on by M&KB players, then by all means continue using your controller.

I'm just trying to understand your logic or even your point? Is it simply that everyone on console should move to PC's and mouse and keyboards? Or is this all a hypothetical situation based on Halo possibly coming to PC and them assuming it would be cross platform? Like I'm literally trying to figure out your point and all you said was "if you want to be constantly stomped on by M+KB players, then by all means continue using your controller" Thanks bro?

I'm just trying to understand your logic or even your point? Is it simply that everyone on console should move to PC's and mouse and keyboards? Or is this all a hypothetical situation based on Halo possibly coming to PC and them assuming it would be cross platform? Like I'm literally trying to figure out your point and all you said was "if you want to be constantly stomped on by M+KB players, then by all means continue using your controller" Thanks bro?

Very high possibility Halo will be coming to PC as well with Windows 10. So at this point, it is all hypothetical but it still stands. 

Very high possibility Halo will be coming to PC as well with Windows 10. So at this point, it is all hypothetical but it still stands. 

Very high possibility but there are still a bunch of assumptions. It just wasn't clear what you were talking about by console players adapting like we have with Scufs.. didn't make a lot of sense to me. Surely M+KB will have a huge advantage in a game like Halo, but they really don't have a big advantage in Shadowrun.

What does this have to do with anything?

kinda what I was looking into lol

I've tried BF3 and BF4 as well as CS:GO with a controller (on my PC). I will say the kb&m players do have the advantage when it comes to execution (precise mouse movements), but they lack the mobility a stick offers. I've held my own in countless games with a +KD, the trick is to just know this and only engage in point blank COD-like encounters. If anything I noticed that PC players lack the nerves of steel most Halo players have developed over years of small maps and CQC.

They can't strafe like us, you can't tuck tail and run like us and they sure as hell never consider getting dropped on.

The whole issue with kb&m being superior to stick is I think exclusively due to the software. The software could be written to make a mouse turn the view port at a maximum rate just as it would with a stick fully pressed. Isn't the problem that the mouse has virtually unlimited speed in turning and stopping on a dime (sudden and precise aim movement)?. And this makes aiming abilities extreme.

Please tell me if I am incorrect. I do know that getting the right mouse (literally the mouse product that you hold in your hand) its driver software, and tweeking a zillion settings are all critical to being able to make this aiming fast and accurate. But I don't know all that much else about modern FPS kb&m abilities.

They can't strafe like us, you can't tuck tail and run like us and they sure as hell never consider getting dropped on.

That's just BF, CS, and CoD players since the gampelay doesn't involve much verticality or fast movements. If you want that, download Quake Live (free on Steam).

I've tried BF3 and BF4 as well as CS:GO with a controller (on my PC). I will say the kb&m players do have the advantage when it comes to execution (precise mouse movements), but they lack the mobility a stick offers. I've held my own in countless games with a +KD, the trick is to just know this and only engage in point blank COD-like encounters. If anything I noticed that PC players lack the nerves of steel most Halo players have developed over years of small maps and CQC.

Now I have heard it all folks. Ever heard of Quake+Unreal? There are movements you can do with KB+M that you CANNOT do on a console pad its as simple as that.

I do think the gap between console/PC Halo players would be much smaller than Quake or CS console/PC players because it was built entirely around gamepad controls and restrictions. Same with games like GoW.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Now I have heard it all folks. Ever heard of Quake+Unreal? There are movements you can do on KB+M that you CANNOT do on a console pad its as simple as that.

I do think the gap between console/PC Halo players would be much smaller than Quake or CS console/PC players because it was built entirely around gamepad controls and restrictions.

Isn't it that restriction that creates the "aww" factor when watching console montages as opposed to watching KB&M players effortlessly pulling off headshot after headshot?

I see the "freedom" of a mouse as something that hinders game-play by making the most sought after achievements in MM common place. Anything pulled off on a controller will instantly wow PC and console gamers alike.

Now I have heard it all folks. Ever heard of Quake+Unreal? There are movements you can do with KB+M that you CANNOT do on a console pad its as simple as that.

I do think the gap between console/PC Halo players would be much smaller than Quake or CS console/PC players because it was built entirely around gamepad controls and restrictions. Same with games like GoW.

Not anymore man there's a button in Quake that allows you to 180 instantly  :kappa:

Seriously though this is a good post. If a shooter was designed for console and a gameplay then the advantage won't be nearly as big as people think. Yes, they will have an advantage but I don't think it would be that huge.

Isn't it that restriction that creates the "aww" factor when watching console montages as opposed to watching KB&M players effortlessly pulling off headshot after headshot?

I see the "freedom" of a mouse as something that hinders game-play by making the most sought after achievements in MM common place. Anything pulled off on a controller will instantly wow PC and console gamers alike.

I don't know man, it's an odd way to look at it. Surely I'd be impressed by the guy who is getting non-stop headshots using a guitar hero controller, but that's not really feasible. I also don't agree with the freedom of a mouse hinders gameplay in that sense. Sure it provides an overall easier time for everyone to do well because the input method is more effective.

I do think though depending on the game PC players are generally less experienced with the type of teamplay that console players are. I'm sure certain PC games understand this concept fine but almost all console games lack such individual skill and focus on more of a team-skill. It's the reason why the Xbox Titanfall team had did pretty well against the PC team and why I feel that a console Shadowrun team would literally be unrivaled by ANY PC team.

Not really, I am more astonished by the level of accuracy and mechanical ability of pro Quake players more than any Halo pro at any Halo game. There is a larger difference between the aiming ability/reaction speed of good players and pros in hardcore PC FPS. In Quake it can be 20 percent or more on average with each weapon. or for noobs like 35 percent or more. Then there is immense movement skill to take into account, I cant move like pro Quake/UT players and I have been playing Arena FPS for 12+years its madness how fast and fluid they are.

Halo is a great Arena-style Squad game with a load of team-work and coordination required at a top level, similar to TF2. But it does not come close to matching old-school PC Arena FPS in individual skill-cap(to which no such cap exists basically).

The general gaming populace doesn't like Halo. 

I feel like people don't understand this. 

By that do you mean that it isn't popular and people are oblivious to it, or that people actually dislike Halo? 

Either way, I think its pretty stupid to assume that anybody who doesn't play Halo thinks it sucks, but I agree that it does receive more "general gaming populace"  hate than other triple A titles, bar CoD.

That's not the point I'm trying to make anyways, I was comparing brawl to reach in the sense that they are suckass games that kill series. I'm not implying that Halo can get 50k, because yes, Melee is a better, more popular game. But the concept stands, play the game you want to. 

The whole issue with kb&m being superior to stick is I think exclusively due to the software. The software could be written to make a mouse turn the view port at a maximum rate just as it would with a stick fully pressed. Isn't the problem that the mouse has virtually unlimited speed in turning and stopping on a dime (sudden and precise aim movement)?. And this makes aiming abilities extreme.

Please tell me if I am incorrect. I do know that getting the right mouse (literally the mouse product that you hold in your hand) its driver software, and tweeking a zillion settings are all critical to being able to make this aiming fast and accurate. But I don't know all that much else about modern FPS kb&m abilities.

Mouse acceleration already is a thing, and it feels like absolute garbage. I'd rather not have Halo on PC at all if it meant having to deal with that shit.

Is this dude serious?

42d.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mouse acceleration already is a thing, and it feels like absolute garbage. I'd rather not have Halo on PC at all if it meant having to deal with that shit.

You can turn off mouse acceleration in most games.

Not anymore man there's a button in Quake that allows you to 180 instantly  :kappa:

Seriously though this is a good post. If a shooter was designed for console and a gameplay then the advantage won't be nearly as big as people think. Yes, they will have an advantage but I don't think it would be that huge.

I don't know man, it's an odd way to look at it. Surely I'd be impressed by the guy who is getting non-stop headshots using a guitar hero controller, but that's not really feasible. I also don't agree with the freedom of a mouse hinders gameplay in that sense. Sure it provides an overall easier time for everyone to do well because the input method is more effective.

I do think though depending on the game PC players are generally less experienced with the type of teamplay that console players are. I'm sure certain PC games understand this concept fine but almost all console games lack such individual skill and focus on more of a team-skill. It's the reason why the Xbox Titanfall team had did pretty well against the PC team and why I feel that a console Shadowrun team would literally be unrivaled by ANY PC team.

Macros exists.

http://www.totalxbox.com/21262/xbox-vs-pc-scrapped-because-of-imbalance/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play

Lacks fluidity. More reactionary combat rather than planning and assessing.

Another common mistake of someone who doesn't understand the deep strategy/ map control/counter-moves that are constantly going on in Arena FPS duels because all they see is an insanely fast game they cant comprehend. Quake duel= Speed-Chess of FPS. Rapha(one of the best Q3/QL) pros explains his thought process in a classic match-up versus Cooller. 

http://youtu.be/XdkDjsBiO58?t=1m19s