CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Did you really just quote a post I made from January 3?

Is January 3rd not fair game?

And thruster was not "fine" in Halo 4. Jesus fucking christ it's like you want Halo to keep sucking gorilla cock.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really want all the people who said "Heyyy, we should TOTALLY all start with thrusters!! It will totally alienate casuals less and we'll, like, totally be adapting!!" during the Halo 4 settings debates to line up somewhere so I can give each and every one of them a nice, hard slap across the face. Because look what you did.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is January 3rd not fair game?

And thruster was not "fine" in Halo 4. Jesus fucking christ it's like you want Halo to keep sucking gorilla cock.

Just saying, who reads back that far? And yes it was fine in H4.  If by some miracle that Halo actually becomes big again and has tournaments that mean something, is it not something that you can disable if you need to?  I don't think it needs to be removed for competitive play, but for the sake of your opinion, I'm sure the competitive community could get it disable for hardcore playlists if they felt that strongly about it. 

I'm sure the competitive community could get it disable for hardcore playlists if they felt that strongly about it. 

Is this a joke?

something something halo 4 something sprint something

• Upvote (+1) 7

Hey guys, quick notice - we'll be locking this topic at some point next either this weekend or early next week. Once we have we'll read through it fully, take the most common feedback and create an article about it for the homepage.

We'll be tweeting it and sharing it in the usual places to hopefully gives the common feedback a lot more exposure. 

If you have any feedback regarding the beta, be sure to get it posted soon.

Thanks,

Moa/Staff

• Upvote (+1) 5

When you said this,

I realized it is what I've been trying to tell other people and no one has listened. I feel like this is the easiest way to explain the issues to most people. I'll probably use some form of this the next time people are trying to put up a fuss on how it doesn't hurt game play or how they add to skill. Anyways, +1 for your explanation.

It doesn't always work, I still get responses like this way to much.

You feel they are alientating the old competitive community, whereas they are providing new skills for a NEW competitive community, hopefully one that can shed the image and reputation you guys have created for the last few years.

Ive considered trying to find a small group of guys to try and create a game, but I don't know anything about creating video games and what not.

As far as splitting communities, it wouldn't be. It'd have 2 playlists, what's the difference from like halo 3? There was a ranked playlist, and a social playlist. We weren't a split community then? We all like to have fun which would be the 'classic' playlist, then HCS playlist just like they  have now, but no abilities for classic or hcs. That wouldn't split the game. It'd just open up different options. I don't understand how that'd be a split community. 343 aren't going to turn their backs on the noobs that buy the game and play for a short time. So if we can get a playlist or two dedicated to terms we like and would enjoy, what would that hurt?

Have to be realistic and compromise. They aren't going to tear down the game and start from scratch because our community doesn't like what they have. They're going to do what they're doing, and I'm sure they aren't going to change this game. I won't buy the game as is. I'm just saying it would be a better game with a 'classic' style playlist.

i don't want a bite of the turkey sandwich because you refused to give me the fucking burger i ordered.

343 don't care about your order, they are like your parents. "You'll eat what we cook."

Goldenboys remarks about the "industry" are just non relevant to Halo and how the market works. Halo will ALWAYS sell because is a AAA title backed by Microsoft itself. The casuals will always buy it day one or even week one. Halo was never on a decay numbers wise since Halo 3. if people want to play COD they play COD, if they want to play Halo, they play Halo. Simple.

Ever since Reach, when they started changing the game drastically things have gone to shit.  Then came all the problems, game community and DEVs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive considered trying to find a small group of guys to try and create a game, but I don't know anything about creating video games and what not.

As far as splitting communities, it wouldn't be. It'd have 2 playlists, what's the difference from like halo 3? There was a ranked playlist, and a social playlist. We weren't a split community then? We all like to have fun which would be the 'classic' playlist, then HCS playlist just like they  have now, but no abilities for classic or hcs. That wouldn't split the game. It'd just open up different options. I don't understand how that'd be a split community. 343 aren't going to turn their backs on the noobs that buy the game and play for a short time. So if we can get a playlist or two dedicated to terms we like and would enjoy, what would that hurt?

Have to be realistic and compromise. They aren't going to tear down the game and start from scratch because our community doesn't like what they have. They're going to do what they're doing, and I'm sure they aren't going to change this game. I won't buy the game as is. I'm just saying it would be a better game with a 'classic' style playlist.

343 don't care about your order, they are like your parents. "You'll eat what we cook."

It splits the community because people will like one set of settings or the other. If you've only played the team slayer playlist and you have a good time and want to try taking the game a bit more seriously and see what the competitive community is about, you would be at a complete loss in regards to what's going on. Why can't I sprint? Why can't I clamber? Why can't I use my thruster pack? What happened to my AR (based on the setting you suggested)? Now that you can't sprint, clamber, and use your thruster I'm sure some weapons and power up positions/timers had to be changed to account for the change in movement options. It becomes confusing and the person will be immediately discouraged, confused, and most likely left with a feeling of never wanting to return.

Or it works the other way around. You're a very competitive player, love the HCS playlist. But after playing for a few hours you decide that you want to just relax and have a good time for the rest of the night. Now you suggested a classic playlist, so that would probably alleviate this issue. But if that didn't exist, the competitive player jumps into normal matchmaking and is immediately frustrated because his way of playing is butchered because whenever he shoots someone in a bad position he doesn't get a kill because he doesn't have to account for something he's not used to.

It splits the community because people will like one set of settings or the other. If you've only played the team slayer playlist and you have a good time and want to try taking the game a bit more seriously and see what the competitive community is about, you would be at a complete loss in regards to what's going on. Why can't I sprint? Why can't I clamber? Why can't I use my thruster pack? What happened to my AR (based on the setting you suggested)? Now that you can't sprint, clamber, and use your thruster I'm sure some weapons and power up positions/timers had to be changed to account for the change in movement options. It becomes confusing and the person will be immediately discouraged, confused, and most likely left with a feeling of never wanting to return.

Or it works the other way around. You're a very competitive player, love the HCS playlist. But after playing for a few hours you decide that you want to just relax and have a good time for the rest of the night. Now you suggested a classic playlist, so that would probably alleviate this issue. But if that didn't exist, the competitive player jumps into normal matchmaking and is immediately frustrated because his way of playing is butchered because whenever he shoots someone in a bad position he doesn't get a kill because he doesn't have to account for something he's not used to.

It's differen't playlists though. In SnD in CoD, you don't play the same way you do demo, or tdm. Usually you'll play each gametype different. I mean I see your point, but it'd be like the NBNS playlist in Reach. There was no abilities in MLG reach, along with NBNS. We weren't a split community then. Why would this be different?

A good player who plays HCS will know the difference between both 'classic' style, and the normal game style. A new kid who watches HCS and actually wants to get into competitive Halo will (or should) know the difference. He would follow the HCS streams and events, and know a little about it. It would prevent complete NOOBs from playing it (like they do in HCS currently). I mean I encourage people to get into the competitive scene, but first be a decent player before jumping into HCS.

I have to completely disagree with this idea splitting communities. The communities are already split. People fighting for and against sprint. People fighting for abilities and no abilities. Tell me why 343 would pick the smaller community over the larger one? They wont. Realistically, we are smaller than the casual community, and don't have as much say so as they do. So if we at least get a set playlist or two to cater to our needs, it would be great, would it not? They are obviously catering to the casuals, not us.

This is a compromise not a solution.

Would it not be better than the trash we have coming to us atm? Do you honestly think they are going to tear the game down and start from scratch? They didn't listen from halo 4. I would settle for a compromise, instead of giving up on Halo completely. (Like I'm about to)

I'll settle for MCC working and not buying Halo 5 at this point.

I agree. I'd much rather have MCC working properly, but I have a feeling they're going to forget about this game. And HCS is going to support H5 once it's released, not MCC.

I’d like to start be telling you about my halo/gaming background so you have an idea from where my ideas and opinions are based. Played halo since 1 year into h1, got really into for halo 2(6hours a day for 2 years), attended MLG events for halo 3, tapered off during reach-h4 because of game quality and just being busy with school. I also enjoy blizzard games and tend to get bored of games without a solid competitive foundation/ranking system. Server firsts/top parses/gladiator in wow, Legend in HS, GM in StarCraft are what truly hook me in games and it all started with Halo 2. Now that I've covered the type of gamer that I am here are my thoughts on H5 after about 48hours played on beta.

General:

- Menu/party UI is still bad

- Matchmaking should take party size into account (solo queues should be matched with solos and be 4ths for teams of 3s. Should rarely be matched against a team of 4).

- Too many medals, makes them feel insignificant.

- Way to view post game carnage after leaving it.

- Spartan under armour should be solid color, pref black.

- While it grew on me, the hit marker/headshot sound should be an option.

- Hit registration seemed worse than H4 with higher latency.

- Shield low sound too high pitched, same with recharge.

- I miss the H2 announcer, double KEEEEEEL.

- Matchmaking still too slow!

- After a game you should be able to trash talk for 5 seconds before MM boots the opposing team and finds you a new one with the option of staying with your random party like halo 3.

Maps:

- All maps need more sticky grenades, you already pick up frags from dead bodies.

- All maps are controllable which is good.

- Glare is bad

- Blue Blends in too well on most maps

- Flat walls! Your walls can be as pretty as you want but PLEASE don’t let me get snagged by random geometry when I’m hugging a wall.

Truth: Good, make shields top mid smaller or require less shots to fade. Top mid currently too strong of a position. Glare in the bends is bad. Plasma grenade starts like it should be, frags on map carbine and p1.  

Regret: Good, just different enough from Truth. Maybe have frag starts instead of plasma like truth should be. Why are red/blue switched from truth? Confusing for nothing. Red and blue bases need more color, lift should probably be a different color as well. Callouts should be more similar to truth, why change them for no reason.  

Empire: Really good map, probably my favorite. Maybe add a gun in security/tower in addition to sniper/smg.

Eden: Really dislike, so much of the map is ignored, and if a team controls red you basically spawn security/blue and are screwed. Bottom mid and the entire blue base is rarely traversed and there’s no reason to. 4 lanes to attack red base, all with no cover other than outside. Why are the callouts different then Empire?

Orion/Pegasus: Pieces look good, but you NEED color selection. I’m not really a fan of forge maps but I hope you guys can make some awesome ones for release. 

Ranking:

- I actually enjoy the ranking system although I do think it could be improved.

- There should also be a post explaining exactly how it works before the game comes out.

- Placement matches should never rank you in semi pro, onyx 3 should be the highest you can be placed.

- Semi pro and pro ranks should see the +/- rating change after games, having to remember what your rating was annoying.

- Pro and semipro ranks look lame, get on that, if I’m in the top 200 I don’t want to look like a gold 4.

- Maybe add a little more exp required to jump between ranks 1-3, when jumping from division there should probably be some sort of challenge win 2/3 to advance. Would make jumping a division more rewarding.

- Hopefully you guys reset ranks every few months 3-4 would be ideal.

- You might have to tune placement matches, I noticed that I was fairly easy to get placed in gold/onyx and not many players were bronze/silver.

- You should lose less points if you carried your team and lost, going 22-12-3 on a loss and losing 20+ points is very discouraging. Point loss should go by your placing on losing team.

Breakout:

- Seems okay, offers a change of pace from regular slayer.

- Should definitely have its own separate playlist though.

- Needs to have more rounds.

- Changing layouts every few weeks/season would be cool.

Strongholds: 

- I don't think I enjoy it more than KoH

Guns/SmartScope:

- Bullet mag is a problem, sure there’s less auto aim but there’s so much bullet mag that it doesn't matter.

- Smart Scope decreases bullet spread WAY too much, you are at a severe disadvantage if you aren't Smart scoping past 5ft.

- Auto weapons shouldn't have Smart Scope, maybe increase their accuracy SLIGHTLY to compensate.

- While the guns sounds are okay they sound nowhere near as good as H2A, what gives?

- If god forbid you have a playlist with AR starts then you need more mid-range weapons on most maps maps, Empire being the exception.

- Smart scope animations are all too slow

- Weapon swap speed is too slow. You can only carry 2 guns so switching between them should be very fast.

- AR starts reduces halo into 1v1 spray and pray encounters. Renders callouts and teamwork useless (can’t viably help teammate cross map). Promotes camping small areas and makes pushing power positions/set ups a death sentence. If the opposing team has weapon/map control you have next to no chance at a comeback. Please have BR starts!

- LT SmartScope controls have an advantage over traditional with auto re-scope, this NEEDS to be addressed.

Sniper: shoots too slow, with such fast movement/mobility in H5 it doesn't fit. Scope is also crap, animation is too slow.

BR: SmartScope animation is too slow making long range battles awkward when having to re-scope. I miss the retro H2A look L. The weapon swap animation is really exaggerated and slow.

DMR: Good, harder to use close range then BR, better long range. Might shoot SLIGHTLY too fast, I would have to look at the kill times, should be equal to BR. SmartScope animation too slow.

Light rifle: Kill time might be a little too fast, having 1-2 a map max depending on size.

SMG: feels good! I actually pick it up as secondary if I have a BR. I don’t like how SmartScope reduces spread so much. Shouldn't have SmartScope.

Pistol: Really good! I don’t like the SmartScope, reticle it’s too big for nothing.

Swords: Aiming with the sword should NOT increase lunge distance! The weapon needs to be consistent! Glow on prophet’s bane is fine, fair compensation for 20% run increase.

AR: Seems ok, again SmartScope should not increase bullet spread that much. You shouldn't be able to cross map someone with the AR lol. Don’t think it should have SmartScope.

Rocket Launcher: seems fine, animations are too slow and you can actually shoot before they finish. I kinda miss the old look. 

Hydra:  Have the rockets travel faster and it should be fine since it feels pretty weak right now other then on wide open maps.

Grenades: WAY too many shots hitting grenades, I think it’s because your hand passes over your face when you throw it for some reason. This NEEDS to be fixed. Should still be possible but very rare.

Plasma:

- Needs slight magnetism, h5 is a lot faster than other halos this would help make sticks a little more common.

- Needs to have a faster travel time

- ABSOLUTELY needs instasplodes EVERYTIME!!

- Like I said in the maps section, there needs to be more on map since you pick up frags from dead bodies.

- Grenading power weapons to yourself is awesome!

Frags:

- Radius might be a little too wide.

- Maybe allow frags to also grenade power weapons, would have to try it to be sure.

Abilities: I don’t mind them overall, doesn’t really break much. Please don’t have a playlist without them. For halo to thrive competitively it needs a casual fan base, pros and casuals need to play under the same settings so that casuals can get better by not have a huge barrier of entry like learning H5 without abilities/sprint.

Sprint: fix this. The no shield recharge during sprint worked better than I expected, I am ok with it. There can NOT be unlimited sprint though, the H4 amount would be fine. You will break objective gametypes if you keep unlimited in. Also sprinting doesn’t cancel zoom like H4, it should.

Thruster: Awesome, I really like it. Might need a longer recharge especially if you reduce grenade radius.

Hover: Good, thank you for the option to toggle it. Jump is a better toggle then sprint (LB to jump, LB again to hover.

Ground pound: Seems okay, sometimes direct hits wouldn’t kill. NEEDS to have a different button activation cause rip Gandhi hopL. Maybe double jump(aka hover) and hold melee?

Slide: Barely used it. Seems fine.

Clamber: Seems fine although I think being able to crouch jump should still have its advantages. Have clamber as sprint instead of double jump (bumper jumper).

Charge: It is literally useless. Just melee with a longer animation since it doesn’t 1 shot.

Bugs:

- control scheme changed randomly after death

- No vibration

- Can’t back out of MM

- Looking up glitch, all Spartans are looking straight up while doing everything.

- No aimer glitch had no unscoped reticle on dmr for an entire truth match.

- Scoreboard glitches and stays stuck on

- Matchmaking takes way too long

- Party members sometimes get kicked from matchmaking

- Score in game disappears

- Matches ending randomly with lagouts

- Sometimes you won’t sprint.

- FPS lag on strongholds

Well that’s about it, I have to apologize with how long this ended up. Let me know what you guys think! I would like to end with the suggestion that 343 really should have an open beta around 1 month from release. Not only to help with hype but with the nightmare that is MCC we need to know this game works flawlessly and that WORKING dedicated servers can handle the stress.

Whicker

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think you guys just need to man up and create your own FPS

If it's good people will play it

I've seen many developers, both indies and those who work for large companies, say they make games they want to play. I don't know what that says about what 343 wants to play, if there's even a consensus over there, but it seems like a good piece of motivation. Designing a game, however, requires a ton of great ideas, and actually building the game requires a ton of time. I wish I had lost the majority of my hope for Halo when I was younger and had more time.

The general gaming populace doesn't like Halo. 

I feel like people don't understand this. 

Holy shit. Thank god someone said it.

Nintendo, of all companies, is easily the most beloved. Halo, is the old CoD in terms of dislike and general "dudebro" shooter back in the day. 

Holy shit. Thank god someone said it.

Nintendo, of all companies, is easily the most beloved. Halo, is the old CoD in terms of dislike and general "dudebro" shooter back in the day. 

a 10 year old told me the other day that halo sucks (while he was playing advanced warfare) because "it's too slow". 

a 10 year old told me the other day that halo sucks (while he was playing advanced warfare) because "it's too slow". 

Lol, this why you don't try to copy features from other AAA titles.  If Cod had shields then people would think it's slow for its style of game play. If Halo played like real Halo the 10 year old wouldn't be comparing it in the back of his mind to Cod, he would treat it as a new experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo played like real Halo the 10 year old wouldn't be comparing it in the back of his mind to Cod, he would treat it as a new experience. 

That's more or less what I'm trying to get at

It's been so long since CE that nothing resembling it has come out recently

The goal should be to analyze the problems with CE (cause it's not perfect, even elder god tier games like Chess and Brood War still have flaws) and fix those

Like it's been 2494 iterations of Halo and they still haven't got something simple to fix like the needler right, let along big pictures things like the spawn mechanics

• Upvote (+1) 1

People hate Halo because they've become accustomed to Call of Duty. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, it's just the casual market moving on to the next big thing.

And yes, some people here complain about everything.  Not everyone, but some.  

Thruster needs a nerf, not a removal.  It was fine in H4.  The distance it is able to thrust is too drastic right now.  Yes, that is something I may not have noticed after being placed in Silver division after playing the game for a few hours.  Obviously, it's been an additional 2 weeks after my initial post. 

Doesn't matter if some people complain about everything (I'm not even sure such a Halo fan exists). It doesn't justify the claim that they complain simply to hear themselves talk. It's this whole mindset of: "I like it, therefore when others claim they don't, they must just want to complain for the sake of complaining". It's not fair.