CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Honest question, why does anyone continue to bothe giving feedback for this game? I get you guys loved Halo 1/2 and even 3 but we've been lied to and bent over so many times now that the best hope for the halo franchise is for Halo 5 to crash and burn and take 343 with it. They don't listen anyway.

Fool me once with Halo 4, shame on you; fool me twice with MCC, shame on me. They wont fool me a third time. They can let their garbage collect dust on the shelves.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Thinking in terms of eSports Halo needs to look to the past for more than just movement mechanics.

If we want a game that can allow individuals to make bigger, more exciting plays then the Pistol has to be replicated.

This may sound like a hardline stance to take, but I've been thinking about the future of Halo as a spectator event a lot lately and it occurred to me that there's an issue with every 4v4 Halo that is incredibly overlooked and overshadowed by discussions of spread, burst fire, hitscan, and time to kill. That issue is shots to kill.

All of the other aspects can be perfectly suited for competitive play, but 4sk and 5sk introduce specific problems. Assume that in the following examples the weapons are all exact replicas of the Halo CE Pistol, simply with a differing shots to kill (and rate of fire that compensates that to result in the same kill time):

With a perfect 4sk we find that teamshooting is rewarded above all else because two players shooting the same target can, in a perfect scenario, kill this player before he/she can kill either of them. At best in this scenario the lone player does at most half of the damage necessary to get a perfect kill to a single one of the opposing pair.

Making the weapon require an odd number of shots to kill does prevent such an exponential difference from occurring, but a 5sk is quite frankly simply too little damage per shot. With a 5sk the lone player in this imaginary encounter has to work so much harder than his opponents that once again shooting together is overwhelmingly powerful.

When we introduce the 3sk each shot now has increased significance on the game state, and the lone player can make an opponent "one shot" in the time it takes two players to kill him. Once we then accept that these perfect scenarios are unlikely the increased significance of the 3sk becomes increased further in that it allows for these encounters to be resolved much more fluidly and decreased the value of teamshooting just enough to the point that it's still more powerful than being a complete lone wolf, but is far removed from the necessity it is in the Halo 4v4 metagame we've had since Halo 2. The 3sk opens up the potential for much more impressive individual plays that in the current meta are reserved for whoever happens to have a Sniper Rifle.

We know from the work that 343 has done on Halo 1 in the MCC that the Pistol can work online. So why, in a game that 343i wishes to focus on as a competitive title are we still playing with hitscan weapons that require 4-5 shots to kill when knowing that doing so will inevitably result in the same teamshot centric gameplay yet again?

I can't help but think that Halo has the ability to be much more enjoyable to watch and for players to be able to be known for more than just their sniping and "invisible" (not apparent to new or casual viewers) skills such as objective work or being a "support" player if when a player really goes clutch he can take over a game without needing a power weapon or supporting fire from allies to do so.

So, 3 is the magic number and I strongly think that despite the great things Halo 5 has already taken from Halo 1 it needs to take even more if it is to truly become a faster and more watchable Halo experience. It's almost like they actually do want to make a sequel of Halo 1, but at the same time they can't quite bring themselves to do it and try to play it "safe" (relative to competing titles at least) by assimilating mechanics that are considered ubiquitous for shooters instead, with the result being a game that doesn't have much left in the way of identity.

• Upvote (+1) 6

All the underlying principles that led to all the bullshit in Halo 4 are still very much in place.

IMO, halo 4 was bullshit because of the random on map spawns, high aim assist, loadouts armor abilities, perks, sprint and personal ordnance. H5s problem is that sprint is still in the game, thruster is overpowered, aiming is overpowered, and clamber.

H4s underlying problem was that it was totally random and unbalanced

H5s underlying problem is that the individual is gimped beyond belief because movement and combat are more separate than ever.

Halo 5 w/ a few tweaks will be a good game. I am confident. It will be different, but enjoyable at high level play.

Since MCC and the h5 beta, this forum is a negativity train... It is not fun anymore to post, nothing to talk about-It has become a criclejerk on how incompetent 343i is. 

I am not blaming for you frustration and anger, 343i is quite the deceiver, but it is not productive or inducing to grow the competitive community. Negativity breeds negativity and i just think we could take a chill pill with the negativity and wait to see what 343i does with the feedback. 

I am a nobody, an average competitive player at best- but if i was an outsider looking to join the competitive community (I would say this is the heart and soul for the CC), i would not want to be an active member here.

I just want to put things into perspective the way i see it. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 5 w/ a few tweaks will be a good game. I am confident. It will be different, but enjoyable at high level play.

Since MCC and the h5 beta, this forum is a negativity train... It is not fun anymore to post, nothing to talk about-It has become a criclejerk on how incompetent 343i is. 

I am not blaming for you frustration and anger, 343i is quite the deceiver, but it is not productive or inducing to grow the competitive community. Negativity breeds negativity and i just think we could take a chill pill with the negativity and wait to see what 343i does with the feedback. 

I am a nobody, an average competitive player at best- but if i was an outsider looking to join the competitive community (I would say this is the heart and soul for the CC), i would not want to be an active member here.

Did you really just tell everyone to stop being negative? After Halo 4 and MCC? AW MAN I SURE DO LOVE ME SOME 343 

Blame 343 for giving us the shaft for 4 YEARS. Enough is enough.

The only thing worrying I have read is how you think 343 will actually incorporate said tweaks after constant tweets from Holmes and Quinn showing how they just don't get how Halo works at all.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A few tweaks as in removing Sprint and Thruster and redoing all the maps, then yea, it could be good. 

Too bad no big changes are going to happen from now until release. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Did you really just tell everyone to stop being negative? After Halo 4 and MCC? AW MAN I SURE DO LOVE ME SOME 343 

Blame 343 for giving us the shaft for 4 YEARS. Enough is enough.

The only thing worrying I have read is how you think 343 will actually incorporate said tweaks after constant tweets from Holmes and Quinn showing how they just don't get how Halo works at all.

My only point is who wants be around someone that is negative all the time? It is extremely tiresome and gets old real quick. 

A few tweaks as in removing Sprint and Thruster and rescaling  the maps, then yea, it could be good. 

Too bad no big changes are going to happen from now until release. 

I think that is totally due-able .

@@Bravo

Just played with Unyshek and looked like a complete fool lol... One of my worst games in the Beta... Got tons of assists though so I guess that counts for something. Haha.

Positivity isn't going grow the competitive community because only good games grow the competitive community. We don't have any good games. You should probably leave if you don't like reading the frustrations of an entire group of competitive players not having a quality competitive title any longer because the developer is incompetent or malevolent. Positivity in this situation would mean complacency, which will only result in future titles still sucking my balls. It's obvious how to act at the moment and if you can't see it then you have a defective brain.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why do that when UT4 is free?

Personally, i'd be playing both, i'm already playing UT4 and it's nice to play without bullshit, UT4 alpha is already better than this beta.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do that when UT4 is free?

Cuz we should encourage these devs to keep it real and make real shooters again. We really don't need toxikk to flop. It looks like it has potential and we need the Arena FPS market to grow again. If 343 says they want to "bring back arena shooters" we need to squash that bug quickly by supporting real shooters 

• Upvote (+1) 5

www.reddit.com/r/halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cuz we should encourage these devs to keep it real and make real shooters again. We really don't need toxikk to flop. It looks like it has potential and we need the Arena FPS market to grow again. If 343 says they want to "bring back arena shooters" we need to squash that bug quickly by supporting real shooters 

UT4>

• Upvote (+1) 1