CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Not played in 2 days. Had 3 games and already wanna smash my TV off the wall.

Thruster? Are you shitting me with this shit 343?

Someone made a video of how BS sprint is, someone should make a one showing how BS thruster is.

Sorry but I'd take sprint over thruster in a heartbeat.

Also I'm only gold 3 so why the fuck am I playing a team of semi pros?

• Upvote (+1) 5

I honestly hit the Pro rank in slayer the first week and never touched this game again lol. I may play it a bit before the beta ends though. I think it was fun for what it's worth, don't get me wrong, but I see myself getting extremely bored with this game very quickly. This type of gameplay is just not as enticing as previous Halos. More power to you if you like it though.

My biggest complaint is base movement speed, sprint, and the spartan smash air attack thing (this is just a personal gripe I have with it).

Base movement speed/Sprint -

I'm combining these into one point because they're rather related. I think a huge consensus from a lot of post is that you move just entirely too slow in this game without sprint. Sprint is really not necessary in this game, it really isn't. This game would play extremely smooth if you could move/strafe faster. Gameplay wouldn't be so chaotic and it would deter this whole "let's just bait and switch with the thruster pack" thing I started noticing people do whenever they would try and get away from me. With this new smart link feature on every gun, BRs/DMRs/etc can get melted by SMGs/ARs from a pretty significant distance. I personally think they're a tad OP but that's just me. However, I would be fine with the damage if I could actually get away from people shooting at me besides pressing the thrust button to dodge behind a corner to save my life. Or, and my personal preference, I could actually strafe and attempt to dodge a bullet or two while I'm shooting with a BR because it's WAY too easy for them to aim at me and not miss a single shot while they're just holding a trigger down from 50 feet away. Which doesn't make any sense IMO.

Sprint influences so many things in the game design of Halo, I don't see how they don't understand that it's ruining this franchise. I really don't. Map design has been god awful in every game because of Sprint. Name one good map from Reach and 4 that you think is good? Wasn't majority of the maps used Forge maps in both of those games? It is quite literally breaking this game... And not because it's just a button on your controller  :kappa:  (Lol @@Batchford I'm still laughing haha)

Spartan/Titan Drop from Destiny -

Okay my only problem with this is literally just the button it is to do it lmao. I think it's just annoying that I can't Gandhi hop how I want for the past 8-9 years because I can't click the left-stick on for more than a second without this happening. Why can't it be like the sprint button or down on the D-Pad or something along those lines?

But what do I know.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo Reach and Halo 4 combined only had one good map, and that was Skyline.  It's kind of a coincidence that Skyline was the only good map as its geometry and flow of the game negated the need for sprinting in general. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone made a video of how BS sprint is, someone should make a one showing how BS thruster is.

Thruster is a good addition, but it needs to be tweaked and they need to let us shoot while thrusting.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let you shoot while thrusting?  That just sounds like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

what will change for the worst by having this?

OMG forget all that!

Just one sick ass triple kill!!

xboxdvr.com/Gold+likes+epic/02cf8eda-0324-486f-a9ce-07dbb0ca7b2e

But for real game sucks

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let you shoot while thrusting?  That just sounds like a clusterfuck waiting to happen. 

That is Arena shooter design 101, movement does not restrict aim and is not separated from shooting ability but enhances it and compliments it for more in depth/skilled gameplay. Halo encounters are not usually one sided, throughout the course of a battle there is this balance between the stronger offensive player and the weaker defensive player that shifts back and forth or closer to critical point. So then if we established that Halo encounters are usually not one-sided and allow the player who got shot first to react most of the time unlike MMS like CoD, then why would the player abilities be? How does that make any sense? This just creates one-sided defensive abilities like AA's were(minus Jet-pack which was bad for other reasons) that do not properly fit within the combat style and combat balance of an Arena-style FPS.

Where Halo 5's relative combat balance currently is:

Defensive(Defensive player abilities/staying alive dominate combat strategy)----Halo 5----Halo 2---Halo CE-----Offensive(High lethality, player has no chance to react)

Where it needs to be for optimal combat balance that leaves both players satisfied as they are both engaged in the encounter and thus the game-play is balanced and interesting.(By removing sprint and buffing base movement speed/allowing the ability to shoot while using thruster/Spartan abilities):

Defensive---------Halo 5---------Offensive

• Upvote (+1) 2

H5 has potential and don't think h5 is a complete abomination... I think too many people are blowing it out of proportion.... It is a beta were  we give out feedback and they listen....We will wait and see.

I think this game would be rocking with the slide feature replacing sprint, nerf the thruster so it is not an escape tool McGee, and scale the maps accordingly. 

It is really only 2 things that are fucking this game at competitive play. Lets see if 343i listens!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idk, I feel like some of it works. It certainly feels good to play the game. Personally thruster/sprint wouldn't be AS bad if it weren't exacerbated by the most OP fucking radar in all of shooters, ever made.... ever. 

I honestly feel no radar should be standard in H5

I don't think the issue is can those features work in halo 5? I get the impression that the issue is that halo 5 can work much better without them?

I don't think the issue is can those features work in halo 5? I get the impression that the issue is that halo 5 can work much better without them?

I know TB doesn't like Halo 5 and I know a lot of the stuff they added isn't "Halo". I get that. I love this community, but I feel like, I CAN'T be the only one who thinks Halo 5 is fun as hell and still SOMEWHAT feels like a solid Halo game. 

I know I'm in the minority, I get that, but I feel all of these mechanics that were added work well because they feel manipulated enough to actually work. Ground pounding feels unique, the thruster, yeah is in AW, but feels unique and works like I wanted it to in H4 (still needs nerfs). Slide is useless, clamber is surprisingly okay, and smartscope, minus the automatics, is visually okay to look at. 

MAYBE it would work better without? But I really think the current sandbox, with the right nerfs/tweaks, is going to be excellent to watch and very fun to play.

I wish more than anything sprint would be taken out and some of the nerfs that are needed happen so I can enjoy the game with the rest of you.

I feel like an outcast for liking H5. (just for those who are curious, I LOVE all the previous Halo MP's. H2>H3>H1>>>>>>Hr>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>H4). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Halo 5 is a good game, however, the statement being made by some that "Halo 5 is the closest thing we have had to Halo since Halo 3" is definitely not true. I think that's pretty self explanatory. My early negative thoughts about the game have pretty much melted away at this point, because after watching streams for the past three weeks, it actually looks like a solid game. 343 really just needs to round it out. Halo 5 would be SO much better if groundpound was removed, sprint was given more restraint, like only being able to sprint when you have full shields, and the smartscope animation was nearly instantaneous, because it not being that makes descoping and scoping back in really weird. Obviously more changes are needed, but I think those ones are important. @@Deez

Thruster is a good addition, but it needs to be tweaked and they need to let us shoot while thrusting.

That the problem "Needs to be tweaked" "with a bit of tweaking" "good if tweaked"

IT IS JUST STUPID. Sprint has been getting tweaked for 4 years and to this day people still say "It just needs to be tweaked"

343i's dumb shit will need tweaking 10 years from now.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Sorry but no! Maybe as map pick up but other than that thruster can die in fire!

I have no idea why they try too force this shit on halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry but no! Maybe as map pick up but other than that thruster can die in fire!

I have no idea why they try too force this shit on halo.

I agree with you, thruster is a bigger problem than sprint for encounters. For map movement and design, sprint is the bigger issue. No idea why they thought they were good additions to Halo. 

I know TB doesn't like Halo 5 and I know a lot of the stuff they added isn't "Halo". I get that. I love this community, but I feel like, I CAN'T be the only one who thinks Halo 5 is fun as hell and still SOMEWHAT feels like a solid Halo game. 

I know I'm in the minority, I get that, but I feel all of these mechanics that were added work well because they feel manipulated enough to actually work. Ground pounding feels unique, the thruster, yeah is in AW, but feels unique and works like I wanted it to in H4 (still needs nerfs). Slide is useless, clamber is surprisingly okay, and smartscope, minus the automatics, is visually okay to look at. 

MAYBE it would work better without? But I really think the current sandbox, with the right nerfs/tweaks, is going to be excellent to watch and very fun to play.

I wish more than anything sprint would be taken out and some of the nerfs that are needed happen so I can enjoy the game with the rest of you.

I feel like an outcast for liking H5. (just for those who are curious, I LOVE all the previous Halo MP's. H2>H3>H1>>>>>>Hr>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>H4). 

You are not the only one that likes H5. Welcome to the 10k club... lol...

No seriously, there is nothing wrong with liking the game. I hate H4, but others like it over H3 because it is empowering at the individual level.

HR ~ H3 > > > > > > > > > > H4 (idk H1/2)

I agree with you, thruster is a bigger problem than sprint for encounters. For map movement and design, sprint is the bigger issue. No idea why they thought they were good additions to Halo. 

if you could use thruster as a reliable gap-closer to close on a fleeing enemy(while being able to shoot) I dont see how its imbalanced. Sure at long range, you would probably still see lots of peak-shoot-thrust away but if it wasn't thrust it would be sprint like H4+Reach. Both need tweaking but If you removed sprint and upped the base movement speed then made thruster stronger as an offensive ability by allowing the player to shoot while using it, I doubt anyone would complain about thruster and see the true potential it has to truly add skill/depth to combat and map movement.

For me, my favorite Halo games are the one that have depth to them that when you play, you're constantly learning new ways to improve other than just having a better shot than someone. In Halo CE its the button combos, nading weapons to yourself, grabbing weapons through the geometry etc. In Halo 2, again it's the multiple button combos. 

I've played around 60 hours of Halo 5 and I'm still finding new and interesting ways to become better. So every game I play it becomes more fun. If they fixed some of the flaws with this game I could see it being my favorite Halo game. Right now for me it's: CE>2>5>ZBNS>H2A>3>Reach>4

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Just played drunk, excited to see all the mlgnoscopes I got while I played when I get coherent later on my xbox dvr

For some reason the only playlist for me right now is Slayer and its AR starts, is anyone else experiencing this?

I don't care that they steal ideas from other games. I'm mad they only copy things that don't work in Halo.

how is this comment relevant to my discussion of the motion tracker, proven to work since Halo 1?