CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yea, and maybe at a 25 kill streak a Longsword comes in and bombs the entire map!

Eh. That's not what I was referring to at all. I was talking specifically on radar and trying to balance it out.

I don't have a huge problem with regular radar in Halo, I actually prefer it over no radar. Just figured this was a compromise between the two.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing is better than seeing the local forum kids talking about how much they understand Halo CE after playing for two weeks. lol.

Christ.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Nothing is better than seeing the local forum kids talking about how much they understand Halo CE after playing for two weeks. lol.

Christ.

Well people have been doing it with halo 5 for the past 2 weeks. Fits our nature I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well people have been doing it with halo 5 for the past 2 weeks. Fits our nature I guess.

You're right.

I understand enough of H5 that at this current point I don't want to play/buy it. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I know every little nuance about the game.

That shit is just silly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yea, and maybe at a 25 kill streak a Longsword comes in and bombs the entire map!

"This thing that has always been in Halo sucks"

"why don't we change it similarly to how this other game solved the same problem?"

"Fuck off, keep Halo like Halo, we don't need more change."

Ohhhhhh, I see!  343 just has to make changes to core parts of the game without ever simultaneously replicating anything that has been thought up in the history of one of the longest-running genres in video games.  piece of cake, after all when has taking inspiration from anything ever resulted in something good?  Tarantino? Who's that? Sports? nah, pretty sure the rules for those developed in a vacuum.

In all seriousness, I hope you guys aren't hurting too bad from playing the beta/knowing that it exists.  I can only imagine how frustrating basically every aspect of it must be, to folks with your tastes.  I think it's pretty cool tho.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I would be fine if they ripped stuff from other games and it actually benefited Halo 5. The inclusion of sprint, ADS, and Clamber has only (in my opinion) detracted from the core elements of the game. And that's why I don't want to play it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is anybody else disappointed about the lack of subtle motion blur in H5? I've been playing Battlefield 4 lately and whenever you move the reticule you get this subtle sexy motion blur. Halo 3 also has this motion blur. I miss it. =/ The only time you see motion blur in H5 is when you go on the lifts and holy shit is it the ugliest motion blur I've ever seen.

I would be fine if they ripped stuff from other games and it actually benefited Halo 5. The inclusion of sprint, ADS, and Clamber has only (in my opinion) detracted from the core elements of the game. And that's why I don't want to play it.

A good addition they could have stolen from CoD is forced 1st person spectating in Breakout. But apparently communication and calling out for your teammates is harder than using in-game means to win the round.

But instead they steal all the garbage features

This game has stolen so much from cod they need to make no radar a part of that. This is the first game where I can say it's truly a detriment to gameplay.

Is anybody else disappointed about the lack of subtle motion blur in H5? I've been playing Battlefield 4 lately and whenever you move the reticule you get this subtle sexy motion blur. Halo 3 also has this motion blur. I miss it. =/ The only time you see motion blur in H5 is when you go on the lifts and holy shit is it the ugliest motion blur I've ever seen.

one of the most immersive features you can put in a game and they left it out.

I actually enjoyed that map, what's your beef with it?

Feels too much like a Lockout remake. Get the weapons and camp a side. Team spawning on the opposite of Hydra just gets trapped.

Why couldn't we test out team slayer with no radar? Since the beta is coming to an end I just want to play aggressively but its completely brutal, especially on the two new terrible forge maps which should not even make it into the full game.

Any shooting skill gap in the game is completely destroyed by thrust and results in Halo: Bait and switch which makes it so frustrating when playing solo against teams of 4. I don't think I can handle thruster in this game, its as bad as sprint in halo reach.

"why don't we change it similarly to how this other game solved the same problem?"

Ohhhhhh, I see!  343 just has to make changes to core parts of the game without ever simultaneously replicating anything that has been thought up in the history of one of the longest-running genres in video games.  piece of cake, after all when has taking inspiration from anything ever resulted in something good?  Tarantino? Who's that? Sports? nah, pretty sure the rules for those developed in a vacuum.

In all seriousness, I hope you guys aren't hurting too bad from playing the beta/knowing that it exists.  I can only imagine how frustrating basically every aspect of it must be, to folks with your tastes.  I think it's pretty cool tho.

That was a hard post to follow, but imagine Tarantino straight up copying Michael Bay. As bad as movie correlations are when talking about video games.

Halo can change, but adding in things like sprint that obviously doesn't work shouldn't have made it past testing. It slows the game down and detracts from the experience overall. 

That was a hard post to follow, but imagine Tarantino straight up copying Michael Bay. As bad as movie correlations are when talking about video games.

Halo can change, but adding in things like sprint that obviously doesn't work shouldn't have made it past testing. It slows the game down and detracts from the experience overall. 

Don't even bother with that guy. Trust me on this.

I don't care that they steal ideas from other games. I'm mad they only copy things that don't work in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Onyx II slayer, but because I lose two games in my placement for strongholds, even though I had an untouchable, rampage and a running riot in separate games and totally dominated I get silver

#logic

Also, how opposed to testing DMR starts would people be? I feel like this would be a game where they would work solidly, or are people still thinking its a CoD gun?

one of the most immersive features you can put in a game and they left it out.

I know right

I don't care that they steal ideas from other games. I'm mad they only copy things that don't work in Halo.

Exactly, and it's obvious that their primary reason for stealing mechanics has nothing to do with how well they will work in the game, but rather is attracting the audiences of more popular shooters. It's like they don't realize that quality > familiarity for the vast majority of people (even super casuals).

Either that or they are just a creatively stagnant team who are incapable of coming up with good new mechanics. Or they could be chained to user research saying that they need these things in their game to be successful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly, and it's obvious that their primary reason for stealing mechanics has nothing to do with how well they will work in the game, but rather is attracting the audiences of more popular shooters. It's like they don't realize that quality > familiarity for the vast majority of people (even super casuals).

Either that or they are just a creatively stagnant team who are incapable of coming up with good new mechanics. Or they could be chained to user research saying that they need these things in their game to be successful.

Idk, I feel like some of it works. It certainly feels good to play the game. Personally thruster/sprint wouldn't be AS bad if it weren't exacerbated by the most OP fucking radar in all of shooters, ever made.... ever. 

I honestly feel no radar should be standard in H5

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Idk, I feel like some of it works. It certainly feels good to play the game. Personally thruster/sprint wouldn't be AS bad if it weren't exacerbated by the most OP fucking radar in all of shooters, ever made.... ever. 

I honestly feel no radar should be standard in H5

or lessen it's radius, I mean there are certain things you should give to casual players, radar is one of them.

I'm kind of with you though. Some of the stuff they added could work well if tweaked right. Thruster and slide can be great movement/dodge options that can allow for skill in new areas. Clamber could be a non issue if they implemented powerful skill jumps that can't be clambered, I believe regret has one of these. Another solution would be to allow shooting while clambering, though they would have to change the animation, I suggest a high step or a quick and short thruster over the ledge upon pressing the clamber button.

Sprint and the new smart scope don't work IMO, as we know the problem with the former and the latter makes the autos too powerful, to easy to use, nerfs hipfire by encouraging ads, and only serves to make the game more generic. Having a zoom on all weapons is fine, the issues only come into play when zoom becomes more powerful than hipfire.

or lessen it's radius, I mean there are certain things you should give to casual players, radar is one of them.

I'm kind of with you though. Some of the stuff they added could work well if tweaked right. Thruster and slide can be great movement/dodge options that can allow for skill in new areas. Clamber could be a non issue if they implemented powerful skill jumps that can't be clambered, I believe regret has one of these. Another solution would be to allow shooting while clambering, though they would have to change the animation, I suggest a high step or a quick and short thruster over the ledge upon pressing the clamber button.

Sprint and the new smart scope don't work IMO, as we know the problem with the former and the latter makes the autos too powerful, to easy to use, nerfs hipfire by encouraging ads, and only serves to make the game more generic. Having a zoom on all weapons is fine, the issues only come into play when zoom becomes more powerful than hipfire.

Agreed with pretty much everything you said, especially with regards to autos. 

Autos are broken, not because they are viable now (I like that) but because of headshot bonuses and smart-scope (especially the unfair advantage of having smartscope on LT w/ descope). 

I guess for me, radar is really breaking the game. I love Halo 5 and I'm sure people can see that from my general posting tone, but I definitely understand why people think it's not Halo or don't like it. But I can't hide the fact that it's boring as shit to play games with decent players (semipro rank or higher) with an OP radar because people play so defensively that sometimes games don't even go over 40 kills. Thrust and sprint play a part in that, but I genuinely feel radar is what is ruining it for real. 

I would be down to have radar disappear after a certain rank milestone (gold/onyx or higher), but I guess that would beg the question: Why have people get used to it at all if we're gonna remove it? 

Bleh, idk. No radar for me.

Also, using thrust on clamber is a fucking sweet idea, btw. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Got Gold 1 last night. Probably would have hit Onyx if I didn't leave games where I was ripping my hair out. Orion and Pegasus are garbage forge maps, hopefully they don't make the final game.