CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If you can't admit that Halo 2's shooting was way too easy, any argument you try to make after that is void. It either tells me you can't be intellectually honest with yourself or that you simply lack the requisite experience to make a good argument. Is okay to like Halo 2, but at least be honest about it.

If you cant examine a game by the sum of its parts rather than narrowing in on how easy it is to 4-shot an opponent running at you in a straight line, than how can you objectively examine a game as well? Y'all know there is alot more to H2 than that. Its like saying Melee is easier than other fighting games without taking into account wave-dashing or the other aspects that makes it different from other fighting games.

All proof points to Halo 2 having a large skill gap and MULTIPLE ways to out-skill/out-play enemies in virtually any situation, the game is legendary for its competitive play in the console world/MLG its that simple.

Halo 2 had easy shooting, but it still had a massive skillgap due to other factors like glitching. H5 has harder shooting but imo a much tinier skillgap

• Upvote (+1) 3

If you can't admit that Halo 2's shooting was way too easy, any argument you try to make after that is void. It either tells me you can't be intellectually honest with yourself or that you simply lack the requisite experience to make a good argument. Is okay to like Halo 2, but at least be honest about it.

Who cares? The skill gap is still massive. Watch the MLG tournies again and tell me all about how easy it is to shoot.

Not to mention if less auto aim is what makes a competitive shooter on the console, we would all be on the 360 playing Quake.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2 had easy shooting, but it still had a massive skillgap due to other factors like glitching. H5 has harder shooting but imo i much tinier skillgap

The shooting skill in H5 can definitely be applauded compared to recent titles(minus ADS), however the movement/strafe is still garbage and new movement abilities that could increase the individual skill-gap like thruster are relegated to defensive abilities during combat without the ability to shoot while using them.

To make an UTk4 comparison, being able to properly utilize the dodge-jump for quicker map movement and in combat for more evasive/unpredictable strafes and in defensive maneuvers separated an entire skill tier of players. Being able to R+G during thruster(a dodge-type move) and use it creatively in all aspects of the game could do the same for Halo on a smaller scale. Shooting and piling in 100 different guns with the same function is not the only way to separate skill and add combat depth contrary to Modern Military shooter belief, movement has equal if not more opportunity to increase the skill gap in all aspects of a shooter. It is the only constant in the game, it cannot be overstated how important fluid movement/movement skill is in Arena FPS.

If H5 is looking to recapture a fast-paced Arena Halo feel like H2 did so well, its doing a horrible job as I am neutered as a player half the game without the ability to shoot as im traversing the map or using one of my spartan abilities to run from battles I would of lost in previous Halo's. Halo 5 is NOT fast-paced at all at a high level compared to HCE+H2 as it is right now from my experience even though it has the potential to be very fast with the proper fixes to make the combat more Arena-style. In Halo CE+H2 I am engaging in combat much more often than in H5 where I am instead sprinting around the huge ass maps, forced to ADS around corners at times, and running from battle.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It would be interesting to see a Certain Affinity Halo multiplayer only title.  TBH I liked a couple of maps that they have developed since Reach, even if most of them are remakes. Highlands is probably one of my favorite btb maps. Who knows if they would be better for the Halo series and make a full fledged game instead of just maps, but I suppose it would be lesser of the two evils between them and 343.  Have they made any maps in Halo 3?

H2A is basically that.

http://aschnitzel.blogspot.co.at/2015/01/a-critical-review-of-halo-5-hate-train.html …

Okay, lets analyze this post...

Oh look, i found this:

"Additionally, the maps in Halo 5 place an emphasis on Macro-Positioning, meaning a team needs to hold done multiple points simultaneously for optimal control of the map, and in doing so one player should be able to react to and finish off a kill fleeing from a teammate. Sprint simple isn't as big of a deal as it was with other Halo titles, especially with the faster kill times, better maps, and improved sprint mechanics of having shield delay and being able to be shot out when not at full velocity,"

Which unfortunately is complete bullshit and invalidates everything he says in the whole article.

If I'm lucky Halo 6 will be closer to Shadowrun than it is to Halo. At that point I'm back and supporting Halo.

I don't understand how that guy picks sooooo many words to make a giant post that contains no substance. I mean that blog looks more like a resume to get hired than anything.

...Schnitz is just blogging again...

(all his posts are wordy and convey little information if any.)

So that guy got a response for his blog but I don't get a response for my Sprint Montage? I call bullshit. I should just spam it at him until he responds.

Was your montage a 343 applause?

hey man, don't ask me, i'm not the pro... talk to Walshy

I think I've heard more ridiculous opinions from pros than rational ones. They normally only want what's best for them, not what's best for competition. 

OGRE 2 being the exception. If he made the next Halo I wouldn't complain. 

H2A is basically that.

I meant for future titles. If Microsoft wants to go yearly which at this point , I'm not ruling anything out. Certain Affinity could be Halo's 3arc and 343 is Halo's infinity Ward. All hypothetical but it would be interesting to see if Halo 5 doesn't work out.

Orion is probably the worst map from the entire Beta

I actually enjoyed that map, what's your beef with it?

I meant for future titles. If Microsoft wants to go yearly which at this point , I'm not ruling anything out. Certain Affinity could be Halo's 3arc and 343 is Halo's infinity Ward. All hypothetical but it would be interesting to see if Halo 5 doesn't work out.

they would need a third dev, even 343 pointed out that they need at least 3 years to make a halo game.

Holy shit the 343 pros are ridiculously good at H5. Played them 7 games. Lost all but the last won where we tied. Took out strongsides perfect record.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually enjoyed that map, what's your beef with it?

It get's really standoffisch and slow with good players.

It doesn't surprize me though. They tested the normal maps and had dozens or versions until they felt they got it right and this one seems to be thrown together in forge with less thought being put into it.

It get's really standoffisch and slow with good players.

It doesn't surprize me though. They tested the normal maps and had dozens or versions until they felt they got it right and this one seems to be thrown together in forge with less thought being put into it.

You know I have come to appreciate the effort that goes into a mesh map. Unlike forge maps that you can tweek in minutes and get back into testing, mesh maps can take days just to add a ramp here or a wall there. The development cycle is like night and day between the two.  I am putting together one mesh map to be my inverse prisoner map, and I have to remind myself each night when I get home to just be patient and spend at least one hour on it. A door way here, a wall there. It is a ton of work compared to a forge map.

Honestly, i haven't even played H5 yet and i'm already bored only by looking at gameplay videos. 

None of the addition seem innovative or unique, the fact that now we have sprint AND ads makes me sad, and the game is in desperate need for some personality. 

I'm really starting to think that the franchise should have ended with ODST...

I think I've heard more ridiculous opinions from pros than rational ones. They normally only want what's best for them, not what's best for competition. 

Ogre 2 : "No bloom, no skill".

You still sure about that?

Holy shit the 343 pros are ridiculously good at H5. Played them 7 games. Lost all but the last won where we tied. Took out strongsides perfect record.

Got any of these games on a stream rebroadcast out YouTube channel? I'm fairly interested to see how players with some genuine experience play it.

um, halo ce.

i mean there is no BR or sword in halo 1 but i agree 100%

the two things those games have in common is button glitches

shooting in halo 2 is very very easily, anyone who denies that is lying to themselves

however it's balanced by the strafing mechanics and the double shot

i routinely out strafe people who have first shot on me in H2

Got any of these games on a stream rebroadcast out YouTube channel? I'm fairly interested to see how players with some genuine experience play it.

Www.twitch.TV/waywardnote755/b611690546

Stayed in for 7 games

First few games are ugly then we step it up. We should have won game 4 on midhship that was a huge choke

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wasnt he defending bloom in reach?

Ogre 2 : "No bloom, no skill".

You still sure about that?

I think people take that quote out of context. Pros want to win, and he was the reigning national champion of bloom, not to mention they went 42-1 in games during 2 events. Obviously he wouldn't want the settings to change, his team was dominant at default reach. I'm sure if someone were to ask if he liked playing ZBNS reach or Bloom sprint reach, he'd probably say ZBNS now, especially after playing in 2 ZBNS tournaments. 

Also, these forge maps they put in suck, they always end up in standoffs. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think people take that quote out of context. Pros want to win, and he was the reigning national champion of bloom, not to mention they went 42-1 in games during 2 events. Obviously he wouldn't want the settings to change, his team was dominant at default reach. I'm sure if someone were to ask if he liked playing ZBNS reach or Bloom sprint reach, he'd probably say ZBNS now, especially after playing in 2 ZBNS tournaments. 

Also, these forge maps they put in suck, they always end up in standoffs.

On Pegasus I use the callout "camping stairs".

Im sure almost everyone will know exactly where I'm talking about. Both of those maps are so bad.

Highlands is probably one of my favorite btb maps.

THANK YOU. Highlands is a hidden gem.

I may get heat for this, but Outcast (another CA map) is one of the very few maps in H4 that I genuinely liked.

On Pegasus I use the callout "camping stairs".

Im sure almost everyone will know exactly where I'm talking about. Both of those maps are so bad.

The hyrda is so useful on that map though since it can curve around and hit them. Getting the lock-on though... I don't even think sprints the problem in these forge maps, its just the maps themselves.