CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I went to halo follower. Good lord, never again, the amount of thick molasses pouring from that site gives me cancer.

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/555042325936627713

This is the shit they love and are dying to reply to in tweets 

Is sprint a good mechanic for Halo? No. Is it as bad as players are making it out to be? Absolutely not. It's the combination of sprint with map geometry that makes it abuse able, and let's be frank, the maps in Halo 5 aren't as rife with abuse as those in Reach and Halo 4.

Yeah the genius map design of 343 will save Halo 5 and make sprint viable!

This guy is off his rocker.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You're doing it wrong bro. Tournament placings or experience means nada in determining if a mechanic is good or not, don't fall for the "competitive gamers are wrong" schtick. Also, his tweet was equally just as snoop.pngbecause the "competitive community" aren't the only ones that dislike sprint, last I checked we had polls on waypoint and reddit that equally favored no sprint. We have threads/posts on different forums outside of beyond claiming that sprint is terrible.

@@SecretSchnitzel explain yourself

edit:

oh, banned....nvm

http://aschnitzel.blogspot.co.at/2015/01/a-critical-review-of-halo-5-hate-train.html …

Okay, lets analyze this post...

Oh look, i found this:

"Additionally, the maps in Halo 5 place an emphasis on Macro-Positioning, meaning a team needs to hold done multiple points simultaneously for optimal control of the map, and in doing so one player should be able to react to and finish off a kill fleeing from a teammate. Sprint simple isn't as big of a deal as it was with other Halo titles, especially with the faster kill times, better maps, and improved sprint mechanics of having shield delay and being able to be shot out when not at full velocity,"

Which unfortunately is complete bullshit and invalidates everything he says in the whole article.

If I'm lucky Halo 6 will be closer to Shadowrun than it is to Halo. At that point I'm back and supporting Halo.

I don't understand how that guy picks sooooo many words to make a giant post that contains no substance. I mean that blog looks more like a resume to get hired than anything.

If I'm lucky Halo 6 will be closer to Shadowrun than it is to Halo. At that point I'm back and supporting Halo.

i wish we could just get a port of shadowrun. i wouldnt need to buy any other games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i wish we could just get a port of shadowrun. i wouldnt need to buy any other games.

Decent number of the team is at 343, but I agree. Luckily I was able to play in some nice Shadowrun private matches this last week which was nice. If you have a 360 you can generally find a lobby up at all times.

I swear to god, 343 is just lacking those cynical elitist assholes that just dont really care about kissing up to upper management or rubbing elbows with colleagues. Bungie had Jason, Joe, Marty, Cris Carney, plenty of leadership on their staff and plenty of assholes on their staff(*cough Urk cough*) that at least didn't blatantly copy other franchises and were innovators in their own right. I never heard the word "CoD" or otherwise in a Bungie interview, I can at least give them that.

Just look at the 343 team from a surface viewpoint. You got Kevin Franklin flashing that alligator grin of his as he runs around like a toddler still not fully realizing he's supposed to be making a Halo game and not re-enacting his childhood youth days playing painball. You got Quinn, while a very nice man and understanding of comp Halo was thrown into the fire 343 created, and from watching the Sprint is the only designer who is keeping Halo from fully becoming an abomination. Then you got Frankie, Bonnie, and Josh Holmes overlooking the project, all of whom are obviously obsessed with pretending like its 2004 and Halo can be the "favorite" again among audiences who have repeatedly rejected Halo MP no matter how much CoD like 343 makes it. No wonder Halo is an amorphous blob in its current state, 343 keeps on trying to walk the line between two different audiences and shooter styles instead of fully committing to a vision. Is H5's vision "Arena Halo?" Then why is there ADS and why cant I R+G?" 343 needs better leader-ship who are going to excite the Halo fan-base with their bold vision, not lull it to sleep copying game mechanics from 2007 and calling it "innovation".

• Upvote (+1) 7

You got Kevin Franklin flashing that alligator grin of his as he runs around like a toddler still not fully realizing he's supposed to be making a Halo game and not re-enacting his childhood youth days playing paintball.

Nailed it

I swear to god, 343 is just lacking those cynical elitist assholes that just dont really care about kissing up to upper management or rubbing elbows with colleagues. Bungie had Jason, Joe, Marty, Cris Carney, plenty of leadership on their staff and plenty of assholes on their staff(*cough Urk cough*) that at least didn't blatantly copy other franchises and were innovators in their own right. I never heard the word "CoD" or otherwise in a Bungie interview, I can at least give them that.

Just look at the 343 team from a surface viewpoint. You got Kevin Franklin flashing that alligator grin of his as he runs around like a toddler still not fully realizing he's supposed to be making a Halo game and not re-enacting his childhood youth days playing painball. You got Quinn, while a very nice man and understanding of comp Halo was thrown into the fire 343 created, and from watching the Sprint is the only designer who is keeping Halo from fully becoming an abomination. Then you got Frankie, Bonnie, and Josh Holmes overlooking the project, all of whom are obviously obsessed with pretending like its 2004 and Halo can be the "favorite" again among audiences who have repeatedly rejected Halo MP no matter how much CoD like 343 makes it. No wonder Halo is an amorphous blob in its current state, 343 keeps on trying to walk the line between two different audiences and shooter styles instead of fully committing to a vision. Is H5's vision "Arena Halo?" Then why is there ADS and why cant I R+G?" 343 needs better leader-ship who are going to excite the Halo fan-base with their bold vision, not lull it to sleep copying game mechanics from 2007 and calling it "innovation".

innovation should not be our goal, whether or not halo 5 is stealing mechanics is irrelevant. What matters is whether or not we have a good halo game or not. If a mechanic works with halo and improves the meta or adds to movement, put it in, we shouldn't be concerning ourselves with matters such as whether or not it's from another game or not. There arent many things that were invented by halo ce but it's the best halo because everything in it makes sense. We haven't had that kind of game in a long time.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't played since 1st week. Won't be playing or buying H5.  :prayers:  :prayers:

I'm with you. Everybody needs to not buy Halo 5 and get an actual good game. ( Blops 3 )

I'm with you. Everybody needs to not buy Halo 5 and get an actual good game. ( Blops 3 )

The day I buy another CoD game is the day I see a game where I can strafe while looking down the sights. Though I am excited for the CoD community since they get the people who made Blops 2 back. Who knows maybe it will have thruster ground pound, shields, a scope linked to your visor...Oh wait  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Chess gets more fun to me as I get older. Whatever you're arguing Halo should do to stay "fresh"  is making zero sense to me. Halo 4 was a fresh Halo experience but that didn't make it good. I have no idea what you're asking for to happen to this game besides change for the sake of change. My logic is if you get bored of Halo, go play a different game, don't demand the game change to some undefined ideal of "just make it fresh and fun."

Changing a game like Halo would require careful and well thought out alterations that give respect to the original.

We have never had that before and that's why the people who understand Halo CE the best are the ones who love it over the rest. The mechanics in that game are pretty much eternal and time can't dilute their quality as you seem to be implying.

I've literally been saying this for ages lol... and it CAN be done...

For example, imagine if 343 tried to implement more offensive uses for the Thruster Pack, and gave it a useful presence in CQB-situations... Say that base melee's were weaker similar to Halo 2 and also had a little more limited range, yet with a well timed thrust and melee used in combination, you'd get a huge damage boost to your attack. ...AND it would still appeal to the old, melee-lunge mechanic that was introduced in Halo 2, except it's not a "homing" attack, or a surefire thing that you'll hit the enemy. You could still mess it up and wind up out of position and potentially slightly disoriented and brings more of a skill element to close-quarters engagements. It also kinda/sorta brings back the concept of button-combos, yet it's totally intentional and feels natural while keeping the game "polished."

The Thruster "lunge" has already always kind of been there, in a scaled down, much easier to execute sort-of-way, which is why I feel this would be a RAD idea...

xboxdvr.com/iDrummerAVA/069f8e62-98c3-4f18-8007-9690516155e4

Another example why Thruster really shines in CQB... pardon the sniping bit, I could never get comfortable with it on Empire lol.

xboxdvr.com/iDrummerAVA/22086b39-8443-45db-8fb0-276800d7d505

Halo 4 didn't work because they changed the core idea/formula that the game itself was built around. It didn't respect the foundational elements of Halo's past, or core game-mechanics, in some areas. Halo 5 is now back to the no-loadouts/equal-starts arena-concept, which is why I believe it's already better than Halo 4, is more respectful of the series' roots, and can potentially excel again.

They just have to nail it in which new abilities to completely do away with, and in how they implement the ones that stay... and if done properly, they'll keep "popular industry/FPS mechanics" to a minimum and the game will still be Halo and still feel "unique" in an industry that likes to implement similar mechanics across multiple different franchises for the sake of selling copies and "moving forward" and (here's one for you guys...) "immersing" players. B)

And it's not that I'm bored with old-Halo... I am just curious to see "where" Halo can go gameplay-wise, while staying true to its identity. I guess I'm a forward-thinker like that. I'd enjoy having to learn and perfect new skills.

Damn dude, reads like a 5 year old wrote this shit. lmao its just a game

You realize I copy pasted that? It's a wrestling promo from the guy in my avatar about WWE and I just replaced a bunch of words, I don't actually feel that way about most of the stuff. So anyone who read that post and thinks I'm all angry and hate you, I'm not lol.

This is what I copied.

This is how I see Halo 5. Every single person who claims that they love Halo 5 I just know that they have not played a game at a high level yet. Which is fine, not everyone has to be a Halo nerd and at the same time they are kind of lucky because they game IS fun at a casual level. I'm thinking that Halo 5 action sack and social playlists are going to be fun while a "Team Hardcore" and high ranked playlists are going to be a bore.

Well that's just not true. I love Halo 5 and I have certainly played it at a high level. I've matched EG, Washy, T2, Hoaxer and Elumnite, Prototype, and some other t04's with pros that I can't remember and to me the only time I though Halo 5 sucked competitively was when playing slayer on Eden. 

You realize I copy pasted that? It's a wrestling promo from the guy in my avatar about WWE and I just replaced a bunch of words, I don't actually feel that way about most of the stuff. So anyone who read that post and thinks I'm all angry and hate you, I'm not lol.

This is what I copied.

Moa filled me in earlier.  :P My b.

I actually can't get back on H5 beta. I went on to see what week 3 was all about. I search for Strongholds I find a full game minus 1 every time, the screen starts having a seizure and then it backs me out to the main menu every time with a shit ton of error messages.

The funny thing is I don't even care.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Moa filled me in earlier.  :P My b.

No it's fine, I should of probably explained that. I was going to do use it to troll those idiots on HaloFollower but as I thought it out in my head I realized it would work better the way I used it lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty much what I tell my friends on why I don't like Halo. "Imagine CS with sprint and how bad it would be. Yea that's Halo for you."

#Immersion

• Upvote (+1) 1