CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

are you dodging my point so you can continue talking to me or do you want the last word?? I don't get it dude I can't get anymore clear. You went on another peoples' forum claiming you were 'king of the casuals' on this forum and then gave up after 2 pages.. That's how you made a dick of yourself. Next time try to have some longevity if you're gonna try to battle the brunt of the casual army.

Sniper active you got a big old +1 for being an awesome sport. Now you guys can go back to changing the fate of h5 or whatever you think you do in here until Quinn comes and defends every decision they've made with well thought bullet points

I WAS JOKING GO AWAY PLEASE

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The 2nd paragraph of the post was written by the author of the article.  It was NOT a quote from Josh Holmes.  The quotation marks that the good Dr. added when posting that paragraph are a bit misleading.

You are right I was so mad when I read the article that I didn't pay attention to the quotes. I placed the quotations to indicate that they were taken from the article, wasn't trying to mislead.  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

“In terms of speed, there are certainly elements of ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ that will feel faster [and] focus on fluid, quick and instinctual map traversal,” Mr. Holmes said of the first “Halo” for a new generation of consoles. “We wanted to create a ‘Halo’ game that really delivered on that oft-promised Spartan superhero mythos, the contradiction of this 1 ton of titanium armor moving with grace and agility through the battlefield."

"The gameplay of the beta maintains the feel of the series but with a faster pace. Spartans are able to zip around maps with the help of sprinting and thruster boosts and can grab ledges to easily access higher ledges, a first for the series. Also, the new Smart Scope bridges the gap between “Halo” and “Call of Duty.” Now every weapon has a zoom capability that focuses shots while creating an augmented HUD from the view of the Spartan’s visor. Other abilities include ground pound and slide."

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2015/01/10/Rebuilding-a-video-game-brand-with-Halo-5-beta/stories/201501100004

SMH

_ 

boy I didn't call myself 'king of the casuals' and boast about my idea to save the casuals of their dirty views lmao you went in confident as fuck and left before it even got going. Basically, you only did it so your forum buddies would praise you, which is weak. I've more sense than to start a charade like that.

The Library..? I have a neckbeard..? lol You spew originality.

Edit: oh I think it's a halo reference since my GT is Flood.... ha.

I'm still in there fighting the good fight and ole buddy is a smart man for not staying in this god forsaken land of death of destruction. The fuck out of here with that shit. He did fine, it's idiots with helmets on while sitting at the computer who can't comprehend what he is saying. Not his problem.

idk where you got these extremes I just called you wack for not standing your ground and nerdy for asking who I was on an Internet forum (which utilizes anonymity) because you legit think it matters who I am.

Oh joined in 2013 huh? With +2 rep. Yeah, people must want to know what you say. lmao. Instead of trying to down talk somebody for no reason, actually contribute to something on here, k?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm still in there fighting the good fight and ole buddy is a smart man for not staying in this god forsaken land of death of destruction. The fuck out of here with that shit. He did fine, it's idiots with helmets on while sitting at the computer who can't comprehend what he is saying. Not his problem.

another one holy shit you get a +rep too. Look dude Idc if you stayed and think you wastes your time, you didn't start the thread and you didn't tell him to. I kinda got out of this thread 30 min ago homie I don't need to be right back in lol I got my point across.

Am an 06 kid btw I don't care bout that join date shit, , you guys are warped if my join date or rep affects how you take my message. You all tried to come at me for pointing out a toxic activity caused from our community. :/ my bad I came at 1 member (who caused it) to point out how fucky he went about it.

• Downvote (-1) 5

Pretty random, but its pretty hilarious how a Jason Jones Interview from the 90's http://pid.bungie.org/IMGjasoninterviewOct93.html could be so relevant today to Halo and its current challenges/gameplay struggles.

IMG: I've got some criticisms of Pathways that you can respond to. A lot of people have complained that the game is too tough . . . .

Jones: Yeah, Pathways is probably more difficult than the average adventure game, but I don't think that that's a problem. I think that I'd rather have people complain that it's too hard than that it's too easy, because when a game is too easy, you somehow feel that you've been cheated. But at the same time I realize that a lot of people are having problems with Pathways and it's probably more difficult than I intended it to be.

Man I wish this Jason Jones was still working on Halo. Its so wild to look back at what game devs originally thought about difficulty as enhancing the experience and now it all being about "acessibility" and appealing to casuals today.

IMG: Many people seem to wish that the player could move faster.

Jones: I think most of these comments arise from people who have played Wolfenstein 3D. I don't think that the way you move in Wolfenstein is realistic; I think you move too fast. Most of the game-play in Pathways is based on dodging projectiles and actually not being able to outrun monsters. If I was going to let the player move really fast, I feel that the monsters would have to move like that as well. I don't like the way in Wolfenstein you can turn around and run away from a fight. In Pathways several of the monsters, like the Wraiths, can actually outrun you, and most can at least keep pace with you, especially if you're backing up. I just think that makes the game more interesting. If you were able to move much faster than you can now, dodging projectiles would be a lot easier, which I think some people would appreciate, but it wouldn't have been as challenging. A lot of the Pathways world is based on relative velocity, and if the players speed increased everything else as well would have had to increase together. All the bullets would have had to move faster, and the monsters would have had to move faster, which wouldn't really help you very much. If you want to move faster, drink the red potion.

Huh...kind of like how in Halo 1-2 you couldn't really "run away" completely from a fight(as in across the map in a couple seconds) and had to utilize correct tactics and decision making to out-play an opponent? Now in Reach+H4+H5 its basically what he says here, you can turn around and run away from a fight and get out jail for free far too often than earlier games. It also applies to new mechanics like clamber, sure it lets you get to places on the map faster, but it requires no thought or skill to execute clambers unlike traditional skilll jumps that took advanced map knowledge and took skill to execute under pressure.

He also does what 343 should of done with Halo here and basically says in a nicer way "Fuck CoD and those other games, this is Halo and this is what makes it unique/interesting". Instead of caving to all the cod ******s asking for an abomination of Halo by adding CoD mechanics like ADS+Sprint and basically killing the whole feel and strategic combat balance in the game. Is it so much to ask for 343 to grow some balls and do whats right for Halo and innovate Halo in a way that makes logical sense for the gameplay?

IMG: Will there be a Pathways II?

Jones: I don't think that Bungie will ever publish a game called Pathways into Darkness II. There's a lot of reasons for that, one of them being that I tend to dislike sequels. Many times when a publisher comes out with a sequel to a game, it means that they made a lot of money on the first one and they're going to continue to publish similar games until everyone gets sick of them. Sometimes those games are actually fun, and the people who liked the first one also like the second one, but sometimes they're not. No, Bungie is not going to publish a Pathways II. A lot of cool things have happened with the rendering technology since Pathways shipped, and it suggests some different products which don't really fit into the Pathways world.

Some could call Jones a hypocrite for saying this, but its an interesting take on sequels nonetheless. Sort of like the current situation with Halo where there has been so many wildly different sequels, that the fan-base is completely divided in what they expect and want from a Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Can you please explain what's innovating about blatantly stealing components of other video games and slapping them onto halo?

What's innovating about adding sprint to Halo, WHICH EVERY OTHER FPS IN THE WORLD HAS???

Holy shit you can't make this up.

Trying to find the time to post... Sorry for the late reply...

What I've been trying to say all along is that with all of these implementations, it's more about innovation in the industry as a whole, specifically within the FPS genre on consoles... This game would not have come out in 2008 for example. This game is built on new ideals within the industry...

We already know this and to a degree, it's comparable to how other tech-based companies buy competing products and rip them apart and reverse-engineer them in order to stay current with their own products. It doesn't sound innovative to pull from competitors in that way, but over time technology progresses and that's where innovation shows. As I said, this game would not have come out 5-10 years ago... The modern FPS is based on relatively new ideas in the console gaming realm. Innovative ideas relative to past years and generations of games. The industry "moves forward."

Whether or not this business model is effective in game-design is HIGHLY debatable. There are many factors that come together to make me believe that it is NOT.

However, my ultimate point is that IF 343 decides this is the best way to go about developing Halo 5... by adopting some of the latest industry concepts/ideals... I still believe that there is a correct way for them to do so and still achieve the outcome we all hope for.

The game still has a lot of "cheese" going on with it... but I feel 343 is relatively close in having a fresh, new Halo game... save from a few new mechanics that shouldn't be there, or that need tweaking, including Sprint. I've given it a chance, unlike some of you guys here... weighed it's pro's and con's... ACKNOWLEDGED that it did have a thing or two positive things about it this time around... the delaying-shield recharge mechanic was interesting... but the problems with map flow/traversal still remain. That "ideal game" that I'm referring to though... It's in there somewhere.

Idk, I've personally taken the Beta very seriously... then you see posts like "I played one match for two minutes and uninstalled the Beta" or "I'd rather choke on a corn kernel and die..." or something, "...than play this game." Like shut up and get off of here with that shit man...

Halo doesn't need people like that right now. Neither does this site/community... because the immaturity makes the competitive crowd look bad. Neg me some more... If people around here can't handle some truth once in a while... I couldn't care less. Some people need to grow up.

Be grateful we were even given a Beta (and this early on) to play, enjoy, criticize, get frustrated with... some combination of... whatever... because 343 didn't have to release one. Like you've been given an opportunity to be apart of a game's development... They could've just given us Halo 4 all over again... wouldn't have been smart, but they could've.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, the new Smart Scope bridges the gap between “Halo” and “Call of Duty.”

So, they pretty much admitted that they screwed over both multiplayer and singleplayer fans in order to appeal to an entirely different demographic.

Do you Beli343 yet?

I loved the halo 5 beta for the first 5 days.. Then it just pissed me the fuck off. Then it got okay again then just a drag, now it's just fucking boring. I have 5 games or so then I'm done.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I loved the halo 5 beta for the first 5 days.. Then it just pissed me the fuck off. Then it got okay again then just a drag, now it's just fucking boring. I have 5 games or so then I'm done.

Hey, we don't need people like you in the community right now!

Hey, we don't need people like you in the community right now!

Hey, shut your shit!

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, they pretty much admitted that they screwed over both multiplayer and singleplayer fans in order to appeal to an entirely different demographic.[/size]

Do you Beli343 yet?[/size]

this was said by the writer of the article not 343. I thought the same thing when I read it at first, then someone pointed it out to me. I still don't like Holmes though.

You kids want to use the"adapt" argument a lot, but apparently that is something you kids couldn't do in the first place, so here we are. You cried Halo was too hard and couldn't "adapt" so now everybody but the 10k Halo 4 players lose. Congratulations. You ruined an entire fanbase and the unique identity of Halo to blend in with everything else on the over saturated market just because you couldn't "adapt" to Halo's unique playstyle. You might as well have shit on my face. 

Heated Halo goin in

• Upvote (+1) 4

There's that "fresh" again... remind me again how a game that does nothing but steal from other popular shooters can be "fresh"?

Read my post again... It's about the industry moving forward as a whole, not developers on a individual basis. Whether you agree with it or not, that's what's happening.

They're at least tacking them on to a game that is Halo at its core. There's your "differentiation." Again, whether you agree with it or not, that is the thought-process. It's a fresh Halo experience, based on not-so-fresh ideas, because they're what are supposedly "moving the industry forward."

Shouldn't have to explain it again...

• Downvote (-1) 7

Heated Halo goin in

Seriously, I'm done with Halo, took my shit to gamestop, got a copy of advanced warfare and I can now just play the game Halo 5 wants to be. I will just sit back and watch this franchise burn itself into hell. I refuse to support anything this franchise does until they get their shit together. 

• Upvote (+1) 4