CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

A downvote to suicide contemplation in the space of like 3 posts. I think the Halo community is in a good mental state right now :ghost:

Batch on suicide watch.

They tried their best with Halo 4.

I am FUCKING done. Like, I am considering quitting Halo, Xbox and life in general after reading this paragraph of utter BS. You should be ashamed to call yourself a Halo fan.

Posts like this are the reason the competitive community has such a shitty reputation.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Have you noticed that the crosshair in the beta is in the middle of the screen reducing what you can see above you while it was a bit lower in previous games ?

40LR52y.png

The crosshair is in the center of the screen but the camera is still fixed low on the Spartan's body, compared to how it was fixed higher in Halo 1.

Posts like this are the reason the competitive community has such a shitty reputation.

ok

I can bet that if a vip said that you would be right up their ass

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ok

D'you really think that or are you just salty m8? I think most of us here are in our mid 20s. It's called respecting others opinions, no matter how wrong they may be. We still wuv ya Brah it's okeeeey <3

ok

Calm down cutie.

Ta x

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm assuming some of the other slow mechanics you're talking about are base speed and BR spread?

The base speed contributes to the game's slow pace in addition to the sluggish strafing mechanics.

The BR spread isn't the sole problem with the h3 BR, but rather it's ineffectiveness as a whole. The spread contributes to this because player's shots will randomly not hit regardless of how well you aim, but the gun has a long kill time regardless of the random spread. The gun won't hit people outside of a short range. There are even times when the gun randomly won't register your shots (not limited to Xbox live).

That's the unique thing about the halo 3 BR. On top of its long kill time and crappy range, bungie decided to make it even worse by programming a random number generator into the gun to determine where the second and third bullet of a burst would land, and another random number generator to determine whether or not the shots that hit your opponent would register.

There's never been another gun like that in halo. The 100% bloom DMR has some of these characteristics, but it can cross map and doesn't utilize a random number generator to determine whether or not your shots register.

Aside from that, the grenades were among the weakest in the series and slowed the game down. The power items were on excessively long timers which discoursed frequent map movement and slowed the game down. Not being able to do much as an individual with a crappy utility weapon, inability to out strafe opponents, and no reason to move around the map since the power weapons took forever to spawn, halo 3 rewarded defensive play more than aggressive play.

Most of these issues aren't unique to halo 3, pretty much every successor has all of these poor design characteristics. The problems with the halo 3 BR, that being the amount of randomness coupled with the degree of ineffectiveness, has never been done in any other halo. dan

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

It's currently about 650 against sprint to 130 for it in the Halo 5 Beta Poll. I'd say that's pretty decent community feedback.

Self Selection Bias
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm beginning to think the 16v16 leak might actually be true.

Quinn and co. have been talking about "Arena" like it's one section of multiplayer among several. As well as that, the scoreboard is now split down the middle, meaning you can fit 32 players in there with relative ease. I'm fine with this, since 8v8 will probably remain a part of Arena.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Bashford.

Lol @@Aphex Twin. Let it go lad, h3s popularity>h1. 343 had the chance to change that but they royally screwed us with mcc so Gawd. BTW h3 nades are brilliant. They have a small blast radius that rewards accuracy and expands the meta of 1v1 battles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

h3s popularity>h1.

What does that have to do with game design?

The weakness of h3's grenades didn't allow for massive punishment of mistakes. Their fuse times were also so short that they didn't require you to predict your opponent's movement by a very great margin. Movement prediction is the deepest meta that grenades can offer, and halo 3's fail to offer this.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The weakness of h3's grenades didn't allow for massive punishment of mistakes. Their fuse times were also so short that they didn't require you to predict your opponent's movement by a very great margin. Movement prediction is the deepest meta that grenades can offer, and halo 3's fail to offer this.

I felt like H3 got damage right grenade wise. That was probably just me though

• Upvote (+1) 9

Whoa whoa whoa. H3 Nade slander? The way nades in that game react with the ground and the walls >>>>. You can throw a Nade at the ground and have it bounce up and hit a guy in the face. Love the nades in that game

• Upvote (+1) 3

The base speed contributes to the game's slow pace in addition to the sluggish strafing mechanics.

The BR spread isn't the sole problem with the h3 BR, but rather it's ineffectiveness as a whole. The spread contributes to this because player's shots will randomly not hit regardless of how well you aim, but the gun has a long kill time regardless of the random spread. The gun won't hit people outside of a short range. There are even times when the gun randomly won't register your shots (not limited to Xbox live).

That's the unique thing about the halo 3 BR. On top of its long kill time and crappy range, bungie decided to make it even worse by programming a random number generator into the gun to determine where the second and third bullet of a burst would land, and another random number generator to determine whether or not the shots that hit your opponent would register.

There's never been another gun like that in halo. The 100% bloom DMR has some of these characteristics, but it can cross map and doesn't utilize a random number generator to determine whether or not your shots register.

Aside from that, the grenades were among the weakest in the series and slowed the game down. The power items were on excessively long timers which discoursed frequent map movement and slowed the game down. Not being able to do much as an individual with a crappy utility weapon, inability to out strafe opponents, and no reason to move around the map since the power weapons took forever to spawn, halo 3 rewarded defensive play more than aggressive play.

Most of these issues aren't unique to halo 3, pretty much every successor has all of these poor design characteristics. The problems with the halo 3 BR, that being the amount of randomness coupled with the degree of ineffectiveness, has never been done in any other halo.

Yeah it's a shame. Others have said it before, but it makes me sad thinking how much refinement that could have been done after Halo 3 to make Halo 4 the best Halo game yet. Add onto that some new features that would have been good for Halo, and we could have had something amazing. But instead they just crammed in a load of stuff that made Halo almost unrecognisable in many ways.

Althought theres low auto aim in this game, the head hitbox is huge. A lot of times I get headshots with the BR that I really shouldnt. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It has everything to do with your anti h3 propaganda. As I've said I agree h1/2>3. However you exaggerate the shit out of h3s problems, there IS a reason it was the most popular halo and it's not down to just riding h2s momentum

The way nades in that game react with the ground and the walls >>>>.

Nading the walls and floors in halo 3 is like playing a game of pong.

• Downvote (-1) 3

there IS a reason it was the most popular halo and it's not down to just riding h2s momentum

Would you agree then that cod has superior gameplay mechanics over every other console fps since it's the most popular console shooter?

If game design alone is what drives people to play, shadowrun would be the most popular xbox game.

I think I'd like 343alo if it wasn't Halo.

343alo would be a game I'd play if it wasn't the same franchise but had the same devs, because it's really alright, I just want to play Halo too.