CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If the MCC can get some love I guess it won't hurt as bad. CE 2v2 ranked and H2 BTB can't come soon enough. 

Is this actually being discussed? Lord knows that the BTB playlist needs to be split up.

A few ideas I had concerning Thruster pack...

I think it's established that the best course is to remove sprint and make Thruster have a shorter range, longer cooldown and allow shooting while firing. This doesn't really fix Thruster though, and a lot of the other abilities need Sprint to work.

Now the problem with Thruster is that it's inherently defensive; it can never directly deal damage, but can easily avoid it (allowing you to shoot while Thrusting gives the option of using it offensively, but that still doesn't change the nature of the mechanic). It's also somewhat unpredictable. So how can we fix Thruster?

Well, we allow it to combo offensively.

• Thruster + melee = slam. Does not 1-hit kill, but pushes back players a couple metres. Slamming the ground from a sufficient height will also add an area-of-effect push-back (much like a gravity hammer hit) that can possibly allow for some sick 'slam-jumps' with a fellow teammate. Remove ground pound and shoulder charge, both of which thrust-slam replaces with less complexity.
  • Nading while thrusting = a flatter throw arc + travel speed, meaning greater distance + easier to assess where the nade will land.
  • Thruster + crouch = slide.
Then we tie thrust distance to jump height. A thrust on-ground is merely a small 'dodge', but thrusting mid-jump gives it a boost. The higher your jump height, the greater the thrust distance (and exponentially so). Adds risk and skill to thrusting (since jumping leaves you more vulnerable + you need to time it + jumping signals to an enemy that you may be about to thrust away, which also adds predictability).

What do you think guys?

Upon first read, I think all of those ideas sound great.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was thinking maybe make sideways thrusts different to forward and backwards thrusts, currently all people do is stand slightly out of cover and as soon as they start losing the battle they sideways thrust into cover which is really annoying. Have sideways thrusts be a sort of sidestep/dodge move which you can implement into your strafe and have a thruster meter bar like we had with halo 4 armor abilities, make it so side thrusts only deplete half the bar so you can do at least 2 in a strafe before it depletes and make forward/backward thrusts deplete the whole bar/meter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then we must have radically different ideas about what diminishes the quality of a Halo game.

Probably not if we both think that mechanics which slow the game down diminishes the quality of halo.

Microsoft really did hire the wrong people for the job...

Best bet is that we hope we get a new dev if H5 flops like H4 did.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Assassinations should have been a toggle after Reach. But that's not very immersive, now is it?

So true i have been saying this for so long,

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was thinking maybe make sideways thrusts different to forward and backwards thrusts, currently all people do is stand slightly out of cover and as soon as they start losing the battle they sideways thrust into cover which is really annoying. Have sideways thrusts be a sort of sidestep/dodge move which you can implement into your strafe and have a thruster meter bar like we had with halo 4 armor abilities, make it so side thrusts only deplete half the bar so you can do at least 2 in a strafe before it depletes and make forward/backward thrusts deplete the whole bar/meter.

Following on your idea, I think we should just have sidestep thrust and forward thrusts with the same "thrust bar" system. I feel that usually a lot of people can just thrust back and get out of battle easily. This can make the thrusters much less suited for defensive plays.

Plus, its more immersive. The thrusters are placed on the back of the spartan, how can it be used to thrust in the direction where the back of the spartan is facing?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Inb4 they put Sprint in the game so they could take it out after the surveys to say they listened.

pls

Probably not if we both think that mechanics which slow the game down diminishes the quality of halo.

Perhaps the only thing in Halo 3 which slows down gameplay in a way that I really don't mind is the bubble shield. I find the regenerator frustrating but the bubble shield pretty fun (in social of course). I don't mind the bubble shield due to the fact that you can out-smart people by throwing a nade inside and walking back at just the right moment to trick the player who walks into it. And if you're the player walking into it, you can predict that and walk back as soon as it looks like you've entered it. Don't get me wrong, I recognize this doesn't increase the game's skill-gap or do anything for the game at a competitive level, but it's a minor trait that I find fun in a social setting, even though it can slow things down. With regen, it slows things down without even bringing anything fun to the table, so I can't even say anything good about it. Even with that said, as a problem I find it minor in comparison to mechanics that would slow Halo down in later games.

I'm assuming some of the other slow mechanics you're talking about are base speed and BR spread?

I do dislike Halo 3's base speed, but it is minor in comparison to all the problems sprint brings. And BR spread is annoying too, but I find bloom and flinch to make Reach and 4's guns a thousand times more annoying. And now with Halo 5 giving everything a scope and significantly tighter spread when scoped, it's another Halo game which makes the problem of H3's BR spread look minor to me.

Even acknowledging Halo 3's problems, I just can't see from what angle it could be viewed as bad as or worse than the games that came after it.

Have Reach, 4, and 5 to shit on and some are picking H3.

What is going on

Its because H3 is the most popular Halo as its where the majority started with the Halo series, at least from MP.

I'm not defending Halo 3's faults, but Id take it over Reach, 4 and 5 without a doubt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I finally played Pegasus and I liked it a little more than the other maps. Maybe because it was a tad more open and less cluttered. I could see people getting lots of multi-kills or ground pounds on this map. I didn't play it a lot, but it felt like red spawn will be the main camping area for good teams. With the height advantage, it's easy to see everything and if you have sniper it's easy kills. When I was on red, I noticed my team barely left that area. I also didn't really like where the rockets spawned. I would rather them not be in direct line of site of red spawn.

I only played a couple games of Stronghold and wasn't enthused to play it more due to the terrible screen lag.

I also forgot how bad the lighting is on Truth. My first game and I was getting blinded by the all the glare and haze since I wasn't expecting it.

BR fights seem to more and more leave me with a feeling of being robbed that pistol/DMR/LR battles don't. Especially when unscoped there are so many times watching the killcam (or after getting a kill) where what looked like it was a good shot on my screen had a single bullet miss etc.

Not knowing whether I simply hit or missed until after the battle is resolved is one of the biggest issues I have with the BR regardless of how accurate or consistent it may or may not be - it's a terrible weapon for keeping the players' knowledge of the game state correct. Halo where I'm not spawning with an accurate single shot weapon will always be flawed in this way.

I'm not saying that it should be cut from the game entirely, but in Halo 5 I feel that the BR would work better as a pickup in order to reduce the frequency of BR vs BR encounters that can feel like dice rolls and because it having the benefit of finishing kills easier and being a bit easier to aim feels in many situations like a preferential trait.

Swap the zoom levels on the BR & DMR and you're basically looking at a very desirable BR pickup and a much better starting weapon in terms of game information and consistency. Just tone down the bullet magnetism on the DMR a bit to account for it being a more common weapon and it would be fantastic (I'd also push for buffing it to a 4sk to make an attempt on the slow TTK problem, but that seems increasingly unreasonable).

• Upvote (+1) 3

Have you noticed that the crosshair in the beta is in the middle of the screen reducing what you can see above you while it was a bit lower in previous games ?

40LR52y.png

Have you noticed that the crosshair in the beta is in the middle of the screen reducing what you can see above you while it was a bit lower in previous games ?

d61f4c0d25.jpg

It was like that in CE. It makes sense that it is in the middle of the screen.

Well, after a couple of weeks I actually prefer H4 (the competitive versions of slayer) before H5 beta.  :-/

So a functional MCC is my last hope.

A few ideas I had concerning Thruster pack...

I think it's established that the best course is to remove sprint and make Thruster have a shorter range, longer cooldown and allow shooting while firing. This doesn't really fix Thruster though, and a lot of the other abilities need Sprint to work.

Now the problem with Thruster is that it's inherently defensive; it can never directly deal damage, but can easily avoid it (allowing you to shoot while Thrusting gives the option of using it offensively, but that still doesn't change the nature of the mechanic). It's also somewhat unpredictable. So how can we fix Thruster?

Well, we allow it to combo offensively.

• Thruster + melee = slam. Does not 1-hit kill, but pushes back players a couple metres. Slamming the ground from a sufficient height will also add an area-of-effect push-back (much like a gravity hammer hit) that can possibly allow for some sick 'slam-jumps' with a fellow teammate. Remove ground pound and shoulder charge, both of which thrust-slam replaces with less complexity.
  • Nading while thrusting = a flatter throw arc + travel speed, meaning greater distance + easier to assess where the nade will land.
  • Thruster + crouch = slide.
Then we tie thrust distance to jump height. A thrust on-ground is merely a small 'dodge', but thrusting mid-jump gives it a boost. The higher your jump height, the greater the thrust distance (and exponentially so). Adds risk and skill to thrusting (since jumping leaves you more vulnerable + you need to time it + jumping signals to an enemy that you may be about to thrust away, which also adds predictability).

What do you think guys?

this is awesome, although if disagree that thruster is inherently defensive.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

We need to make our own game, godammit

That's honestly the first thing I think about doing in that "if I ever won the lottery / powerball" day dreams; more so than buying a car or a house or whatever.

I'd start a small studio and make the H2-clone-with-better-graphics-and-more-features game I described earlier a few pages back.

When Halo 5 inevitably flops and fails to capture both Halo and Call of Duty fans I hope they finally put this franchise to rest.

Microsoft won't ever do that. 343 will be gone before Halo is.