CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

And it's still nothing compared to the bullshit of Reach, Halo 4, and this.

The worst and most random starting weapon for competitive settings isn't one of the worst features of the halo series.

Hopefully you see what's wrong with that.

The worst and most random starting weapon for competitive settings isn't one of the worst features of the halo series.

Hopefully you see what's wrong with that.

Awful? Yes. But it's not nearly as bad as Reach bloom, armor abilites, perks, thrusters, etc.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

• Upvote (+1) 1

People want a shooter without a skill gap as long as it plays like classic Halo then I guess? H2A is so much better with Lockout stalemates that are entertaining for 10% of the duration of the game. I'm comparing H5 to H3 which was the peak of Halo on MLG and you call it trolling, what kind of retort is that?

Not a lot of people have a good grasp on Halo 5's mechanics yet and it shows. When you look at great players who bother learning it, you can see how much an individual can dominate, and while the game is nothing like CE, you have a comparable amount of options to engage people rather than straight head on charge and BR battle or team shoot. If you ever catch Neighbor's streaming, you'll have an idea what it's like when someone at top skill has learned the game.

It's just an annoying transition to learn all the new mechanics and pushing them to their limit, but it's far from random, chaotic or unpredictable like the past games.

Anyway, there isn't much of a point continuing this with you since you're so bent on not wanting to learn the game, claiming it won't last more than a week. I assure you though, while it's not like classic Halo, it definitely is one of the best console shooters we get in a long time.

Halo reach and halo4 were the best shooters when they were released. Just utterly terrible halo games. I know you really don't want to let go of "halo" but this ain't it anymore.

Awful? Yes. But it's not nearly as bad as Reach bloom, armor abilites, perks, thrusters, etc.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

Because it is that bad. Thrusters, bloom, armor abilities, defensive perks, etc... all serve the same goal- slowing down gameplay and allowing poor decisions to go unpunished.

The design of the halo 3 BR accomplishes all of those goals. The amount of detriment that the halo 3 BR brought to gameplay is greater or equal to that of thrusters or bloom.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Inb4 they put Sprint in the game so they could take it out after the surveys to say they listened.

Fuck... I'd take that... You wouldn't?!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because it is that bad. Thrusters, bloom, armor abilities, defensive perks, etc... all serve the same goal- slowing down gameplay and allowing poor decisions to go unpunished.

The design of the halo 3 BR accomplishes all of those goals. The amount of detriment that the halo 3 BR brought to gameplay is greater or equal to that of thrusters or bloom.

Well it isn't, but okay.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It is, so...

It isn't. The Halo 3 BR isn't half as good at slowing down the game and allowing misdeeds to go unpunished as everything else I listed. Whether it set out to do so in the first place or not isn't relevant.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This statement is pretty out there, like outer-space out there... have you ever played h3 LAN? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

We could discuss this a lot, and we've been at least familiar with each other for quite some time now so you know I won't neg you or flame you for speaking out.

My personal feeling is that Halo is no longer moving forward and being at the forefront of FPS, it's moving backwards to play catch up to games that have come before it and pretty much perfected a formula while still trying to maintain its identity and this will never work because Halo is not those games. You can't sit on the fence between both and expect it to work. You either adopt that formula completely or you work to perfect what made Halo great.

People misunderstood what I was saying. But i agree with you. I want Halo to stay true to itself, while moving forward. But staying true to itself doesn't mean nothing can change. I am in no way a supporter of sprint. But things like thruster and clamber do allow for some new manuevering. Halo 5 isn't the complete shitfest everyone claims. It's different yea, and still needs work, but the game needs to change a little bit anyway. I personally would love to see the game go more towards the likes of Unreal Tournament with the wall jumps and dodges. My biggest problem with H5 (outside of sprint) is the fact that you can't shoot while doing thruster (well, kinda) or clamber. They don't add anything to a firefight, or allow for new gameplay, but they are a step in the right direction.

With that said, MCC is an older game remade and if thats what everyone wants (assuming online play worked properly) then fine. But I think MCC will get stale really fast, because its the same thing we've had. The game has to change to succeed, and bitching about every change isn't going to solve any problems.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This statement is pretty out there, like outer-space out there... have you ever played h3 LAN?

Question is: "Have you ever played h3 online/lan/at all?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven is the best map for sprint. There you go 1 map thats perfectly balanced even with all the clutter of abilites. And you can light people up across the map with ease. Halo 5 maps all have a honeycomb or a snake design and thats the problem i see now. We need to see people from a far like narrows ------->

It isn't. The Halo 3 BR isn't half as good at slowing down the game and allowing misdeeds to go unpunished as everything else I listed. Whether it set out to do so in the first place or not isn't relevant.

It was just as effective at slowing down the game and allowing poor decision making to go unpunished. It was also the most random starting weapon that has ever been in halo.

Yes.

Lol I meant to answer aphex. The only difference the h3 br does is make you need to be closer to your opponent. It's not any slower apart from that it's just a different style of play. H3 br has never lost me a 1v1 battle, not comparable to armour abilities at all.

Tldr; I agree with you. Misunderstanding.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I sure have.

I also recall tuning into h3 streams while Puckett was casting and him saying "ogre 2 puts a shot into...oh wait, looks like that shot don't register."

Remember that?

Not a lot of people have a good grasp on Halo 5's mechanics yet and it shows. When you look at great players who bother learning it, you can see how much an individual can dominate, and while the game is nothing like CE, you have a comparable amount of options to engage people rather than straight head on charge and BR battle or team shoot. If you ever catch Neighbor's streaming, you'll have an idea what it's like when someone at top skill has learned the game.

It's just an annoying transition to learn all the new mechanics and pushing them to their limit, but it's far from random, chaotic or unpredictable like the past games.

You're right in saying that the game isn't random or chaotic - you always have a good idea of what your opponent is going to do. The problem is that in most situations the best option is to escape. With 2 good teams, it's ridiculously hard to make a successful push, because you have very few opportunities to finish kills, and this is why slayer games take so long to finish. If you put 2 players in a barebones map wit very little cover, yes you would see a clear skillgap. As soon as you start adding more players and a more complex map, that skillgap breaks down.

It's crazy how much sprint is hurting this game. Thruster wouldn't be problem with a few changes - reduce the range and allow the player to shoot. As it is right now, this game is going to be a failure competitively. Remember how many people complained that Damnation was boring to watch during Columbus 2012? Imagine what will happen when the entire game plays that slow.

It's not any slower apart from that it's just a different style of play.

How is that style of play just as fast as being able to attack at any point on the map?

Lol alright dude.

Nostalgia FTW.

As bad as the BR was, there is no fucking way it slows the game down as much as sprint. You want proof? Every non-Pit TS game from MLG tournaments. You honestly believe that they are slower paced than Halo games with sprint?

• Upvote (+1) 2

As bad as the BR was, there is no fucking way it slows the game down as much as sprint. You want proof? Every non-Pit TS game from MLG tournaments. You honestly believe that they are slower paced than Halo games with sprint?

Just as slow.

• Downvote (-1) 2