CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Not trying to pry too much but can you give me an example of how you are allowing players to get around in creative ways? Like using physic-based explosive weapons like nades to nade-jump or pick-up items like UT Anti-Grav boots? Remember you are making the game primarily for PC, and hardcore PC FPS players have different expectations than console players when it comes to movement options and game options(modding tools, fully customizable controls, dedicated hosting servers,ect..) but I am sure y'all have already taken that into account. 

Wall-jump and even thruster/side-step dodge could work well in Halo I think if you allow players to R+G while performing the abilities and have fast-killing starting weapons like one would think a CE-style Halo would have. 343's mistake is in thinking Halo battles are a series of sprints(pun intended) instead of a longer elaborate battle that requires both the offensive and defensive player to remain intuitively engaged and have to think about counter-moves and be punished for tactical mistakes.Not tot de-volve into one player helplessly chasing another that has an unbalanced advantage because of the defensive-nature of the abilities.

Grenades currently launch you really far. This was unintentional, but I think it's cool to launch players that far when it already does a large amount of damage. The launch only works when the player is airborne. I can't say too much about the other weapons or items currently.

I'd like to experiment with a side-step, or a short of short hop/fast fall.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Finally got a game on pegasus after 5 games filled with headaches, and then my other 3 teammates couldnt spawn in so the other team just camped and would nade spam me and chase me with the AR. 

343 just doing the lords work and making me regret the past 3 years trying to give their games a chance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seriously, this beta is so fucking dumb.

I've just spent the past half hour trying to get a game.

Every time we find players one of us gets removed with the flashing screen bug. We keep getting error messages when trying to join games, etc.

I feel like the beta should be extended since half the time I've spent staring at loading screens instead of actually playing the bloody game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Project Contingency sounds like a good idea on paper, but given that for most of the assets they're using are pre-rendered (environment pieces and so on), unfortunately it's probably going to look pretty crappy (they should have developed it in UE4). 

Also i'm not a lawyer, so someone who has some law-based knowledge inform me. Can they be sued at all for doing any of this? Like any type of likeness clause or something to that effect?

I signed up a couple weeks ago. Did the first survey, but I dont like how you can only choose one answer to most of the questions.Still, its impressive stuff and I applaud 343 for doing this.

They did, but everyone is too old and stubborn to just move on. We have the old halo's, why do you want to have halo5 the same...

In what way would the inclusion of sprint make halo not "the same" as it has been given that the last two halo games had sprint? Wouldn't sprint make halo 5 the same as it has been for the last two games? Wouldn't sprint make halo 5 the same as every other console fps for that matter?

Furthermore, if the inclusion of sprint determines whether or not halo is kept "the same," are you really telling me that halo 1 and 3 are the same because neither game has sprint??

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol, only americans opinions matter i guess

lol, they've said multiple times there are legal issues stopping them from doing this for anybody else

• Upvote (+1) 1

SIgn up http://www.project-contingency.net/h3-recruitment and try to make a difference on a project that actually has a legitimate chance to succeed if you know anything about making games and think you can "contribute" in a meaningful way without no/little initial compensation. I actually love the idea of Project Contingency, Halo being freed of the M$ chains on an open platform driven by the community might be the best thing for the comp scene. If only my degree was in CS and not Chemical Engineering I would look into it. 

No offense, but I don't get what you mean when you say "legitimate chance to succeed"? 

You may see a ton of negative feedback here and there (heck everywhere) regarding H5, but realistically as other's have said, it will succeed as a game. It may not be a popular competitive and/or eSports title, but to the general mass population, it will be a huge moneymaker. If not for curiosity, people will still buy it because it's labeled "Halo" regardless if the gameplay reflects that or not. 

Open sourced games (well open sourced developed games) tend to not fair well. I love the idea behind Project Contingency, but development, in settings such as this, don't seem to ever work. You have a lot of talented, passionate people working for free on a side project essentially. They may be pumping in hours upon hours into the game right now, but trust me, the time will come when volunteers fade, and noticeable work becomes unnoticed. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol at people who think this is an honest beta and they have a year to make changes. They are already working on Halo 6 at this point. Anyone who has designed and developed games, software, etc can tell you that they have dramatically less time until this game goes into a final freeze state. Only changes you will see are those they already have planned to make (or have made in a newer build) and small changes. There is no chance anything serious will change (like sprint) regardless of what is said. Unless they postpone the game and refocus the whole studio on it.

Can confirm. I've had experience at a relatively medium-sized studio, who works under a much larger publisher.

Beta's, whether developers tell you or not, are meant for two main purposes: fine tuning of already existing mechanics, and balancing. Games are featured-locked by the time beta phase rolls around. 

Studios have massive backlogs. They set key milestones (like content locks, alpha, beta, gamma, etc), break up the milestone deadlines into sprints (343 does two week sprint intervals), determine the tasks needed to complete each sprint, and then lock down the amount of 'man-hours' it will take to complete each task. It is possible that they correct or make significant changes to a mechanic like sprint, but like the guy i'm quoting mentioned, they would all but need to delay the game or re-focus a whole lot of work (which in most cases, studios do NOT want to do). 

• Upvote (+1) 2

But will a younger casual audience catch on to a game like halo 1 these days? Surely there wouldn't be enough blinky lights and lense flares...

I can tell you right now that I have seen an influx of people in the CE playlist. Stop being a 343 apologist. Sprint RUINS maps. It has been proven time and time again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seriously, this beta is so fucking dumb.

I've just spent the past half hour trying to get a game.

Every time we find players one of us gets removed with the flashing screen bug. We keep getting error messages when trying to join games, etc.

I feel like the beta should be extended since half the time I've spent staring at loading screens instead of actually playing the bloody game.

Even when it works, the long search times, menu loading times, and 60s intermission are just annoying.  I can find Halo Ce games in the MCC faster than I can find games in the beta.

I can tell you right now that I have seen an influx of people in the CE playlist. Stop being a 343 apologist. Sprint RUINS maps. It has been proven time and time again.

It's shocking really how easy it is for me to find Ce games.  If people actually like Ce then this is a good sign.  I should start a poll on Waypoint asking them what they thought of it.

youre advocating that everything be removed? how is that evolving the game? If you want Halo 1-2-3 again, just start complaining about MCC matchmaking and then stick with that. Games change, new things are added. Adapt or go back to playing the old game. I hate people that just want the same thing they had all over again.

You probably hate all the people praising halo 5 then since it's the same old slow ass shooter that it has been since halo 3. Why not evolve the game into something with a fast pace and deep meta?

In what way would the inclusion of sprint make halo not "the same" as it has been given that the last two halo games had sprint? Wouldn't sprint make halo 5 the same as it has been for the last two games? Wouldn't sprint make halo 5 the same as every other console fps for that matter?

Furthermore, if the inclusion of sprint determines whether or not halo is kept "the same," are you really telling me that halo 1 and 3 are the same because neither game has sprint??

I was truncating my point but that's actually very well put. The same as in the "cartoon" style that halos original multiplayers were presented in i.s what I meant. I think a truly balanced sprint will increase the depth with in halo's movement, more so than the thruster will.

I was truncating my point but that's actually very well put. The same as in the "cartoon" style that halos original multiplayers were presented in i.s what I meant. I think a truly balanced sprint will increase the depth with in halo's movement, more so than the thruster will.

SPRINT CANNOT BE BALANCED GO PLAY CALL OF DUTY #REMOVESPRINT

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think a truly balanced sprint will increase the depth with in halo's movement, more so than the thruster will.

Not as long as it is used as a defensive option by not allowing you to shoot your gun during use.

A balanced sprint can't be used defensively though, you can only get into an offensive position faster and are punished for using it at the wrong time. I need to check the whole gun down thing that you guys keep mentioning though; what's the idea behind that?

To be fair, can you ever do anything against a good team playing solo in any Halo game? 

Halo CE and Anniversary (on host) due largely to the pistol. 

Halo CE and Anniversary (on host) due largely to the pistol. 

If you have host in any Halo, you turn into Godzilla.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A balanced sprint can't be used defensively though, you can only get into an offensive position faster and are punished for using it at the wrong time. I need to check the whole gun down thing that you guys keep mentioning though; what's the idea behind that?

And how exactly is that balanced?

• Upvote (+1) 3