CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wait you guys are putting sprint in project contingency?

I'm not on Project Contingency, but from their wording I would expect it.

They seem to be going after the BTB audience as well.

I'm so god damn confused. I just had a huge argument with someone on reddit over Halo 5 and he ended up saying that more options = more depth. While this sounds good on paper it's essentially saying that Halo 5 is a deeper game than Halo CE. Hell, it means that CoD would be more in depth than half the shooters out there considering how many options you have in that. Either I'm stupid or he is. Anyone want to help me out?

In any case I'm never arguing on r/halo again, I literally cannot believe the things he was saying and he wasn't even a 343 nuthugger like 95% of that forum...

• Upvote (+1) 2

This isnt just posting on forums, preaching to the choir about a flawed game. This 343 inviting your opinion into their database, directly to the peaple putting the game together and making the decisions.

This is the best possible way to deliver our message, so if you've given up or your too thick headed to have another go, then thats your downfall, and thats you bringing the team down. This is our best possible chance and I want to go to release knowing I put in my 100%.

Too bad it's for US only. Do 343 not realise there are more 'foreigners' in the world than Muricans?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What happened to getting all the maps in slayer? Nothing but truth and that god awful forge abortion.

There was never any plans to have em all,  My guessing that if they had anymore then 2 maps per playlist their already shoddy networking would just give up and go cry in the corner...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so god damn confused. I just had a huge argument with someone on reddit over Halo 5 and he ended up saying that more options = more depth. While this sounds good on paper it's essentially saying that Halo 5 is a deeper game than Halo CE. Hell, it means that CoD would be more in depth than half the shooters out there considering how many options you have in that. Either I'm stupid or he is. Anyone want to help me out?

In any case I'm never arguing on r/halo again, I literally cannot believe the things he was saying and he wasn't even a 343 nuthugger like 95% of that forum...

TLDR

Depth is the amount of strategy any given option adds.

Complexity is the amount of options.

Obviously any game needs some rules, or some options, to provide depth.  The argument is that more rules or more options don't inherently make the game deeper, as one option may contribute more depth than another option. 

For example, sprint is a new option, but it removes the importance of previous strategies, thus it adds complexity but removes depth.

Here's, another example.

Your friend has a pocket knife and you have a swiss army knife.

Now you have the same amount of tools (one), but one tool can do so much more than the other tool.

Some options and rules add more depth than others, some actually remove depth as outlined above.

Having a hundred screw drivers is not any more deep than having a toolbox of five completely different tools.

That video is also good for explaining to Waypoint kids why their "variety" arguments are bullshit.

• Upvote (+1) 8

just filled out the survey...I hope everyone here is doing the same..

How long did it take for you to get the survey after signing up?

I actually signed up a while back and forgot about it, I signed up again and it told me to wait 48 hrs, but I found the previous survey in my email from the first time I signed up...

48 hrs is worth it to keep it real with 343

Too bad it's for US only. Do 343 not realise there are more 'foreigners' in the world than Muricans?

You dont have to tell the truth lol, theres nothing in the survey stopping you, everybody can go for it

i got the first email about 10 mins after

With that said I am VERY surprised that the survey was a real survey, there wasn't one cupcake question

Halo 5: guns good, sprint bad

A little bit of faith has been restored

Haha I said the same things basically.

Faith not restored though.  ARGH I just wish sprint would be gone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks like we have to throw away our player model.

3efd196c9ba4cab2c9ce714621c6f6e5.png

We're not looking into modifying base player traits, I feel having simple movement is important for a Halo-style game. Although there will be weapons and items that allow players to get around in creative ways.

LOL at the 'Running allowed: false'

Please add crouch jumping on ledges, and gandhi hopping.

They're being sent out in waves.

LOL at the 'Running allowed: false'

Please add crouch jumping on ledges, and gandhi hopping.

Not sure about Gandhi hopping is in or will stay in, but crouching is in.

Looks like we have to throw away our player model.

3efd196c9ba4cab2c9ce714621c6f6e5.png

We're not looking into modifying base player traits, I feel having simple movement is important for a Halo-style game. Although there will be weapons and items that allow players to get around in creative ways.

Not trying to pry too much but can you give me an example of how you are allowing players to get around in creative ways? Like using physic-based explosive weapons like nades to nade-jump or pick-up items like UT Anti-Grav boots? Remember you are making the game primarily for PC, and hardcore PC FPS players have different expectations than console players when it comes to movement options and game options(modding tools, fully customizable controls, dedicated hosting servers,ect..) but I am sure y'all have already taken that into account. 

Wall-jump and even thruster/side-step dodge could work well in Halo I think if you allow players to R+G while performing the abilities and have fast-killing starting weapons like one would think a CE-style Halo would have. 343's mistake is in thinking Halo battles are a series of sprints(pun intended) instead of a longer elaborate battle that requires both the offensive and defensive player to remain intuitively engaged and have to think about counter-moves and be punished for tactical mistakes..Not to de-volve into one player helplessly chasing another that has an unbalanced advantage because of the defensive-nature of the abilities and the inability to R+G in a FPS that requires R+G for extended kills. 

Joined. It would be nice if we could see the stat results at the end of the survey.

I doubt they will

smart scope 

the delay when scoping in is 2 long 

how to fix it -     make the scope in delay/animation shorter/instant.

flinch

becomes 2 difficult to control when being shot by more than 1 person

how to fix - remove flinch 

footsteps 

there 2 load 

how to fix - make them quieter

thruster

thrust distance is 2 long. which helps people get away from you

how to fix - make the distance of thrust a little shorter 

ground pound 

its actually fun to use and is useful when being chased and when you have higher ground 

sprint 

the beta maps dont need sprint it shouldn't be in the game 

how to fix - take sprint out of game

spartan charge

it's useless there's no point in using it

how to fix - remove it

clamber 

i like clamber 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No! It's not an overreaction. We need to actually do something to slow down this runaway train. We need to do this in order to actually make a difference. I'm sick and tired of this cheesy crap in my Halo. Halo was very easy to "evolve" and the studio heads at 343 and M$ will not listen! They won't! They're going to do nothing for the fans. They want money! And the only way to make sure our voices are heard is to make sure they do NOT GET THAT MONEY! 

#DONTBUYHALO5

youre advocating that everything be removed? how is that evolving the game? If you want Halo 1-2-3 again, just start complaining about MCC matchmaking and then stick with that. Games change, new things are added. Adapt or go back to playing the old game. I hate people that just want the same thing they had all over again.

• Downvote (-1) 28

Hurrrrrr juss pley halo tooooo DUURRRRRRRRRR

Ever think that maybe, just maybe people want GOOD changes that IMPROVE gameplay? The last good thing added to Halo was the Grenade launcher and ZBNS. Every other addition has been horrifyingly bad.

• Upvote (+1) 4

youre advocating that everything be removed? how is that evolving the game? If you want Halo 1-2-3 again, just start complaining about MCC matchmaking and then stick with that. Games change, new things are added. Adapt or go back to playing the old game. I hate people that just want the same thing they had all over again.

Not once did I say I wanted the same thing. In fact I want more to "evolve". I just want it to go in the right direction that pushes the game forward while being true to the foundation that CE had created. The fuck out of here with that shit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think we should just abandon Halo 5 and focus on getting 343 to fix the MCC. If we can get CE running well then I'll be content. 

Not trying to pry too much but can you give me an example of how you are allowing players to get around in creative ways? Like using physic-based explosive weapons like nades to nade-jump or pick-up items like UT Anti-Grav boots? Remember you are making the game primarily for PC, and hardcore PC FPS players have different expectations than console players when it comes to movement options and game options(modding tools, fully customizable controls, dedicated hosting servers,ect..) but I am sure y'all have already taken that into account. 

Wall-jump and even thruster/side-step dodge could work well in Halo I think if you allow players to R+G while performing the abilities and have fast-killing starting weapons like one would think a CE-style Halo would have. 343's mistake is in thinking Halo battles are a series of sprints(pun intended) instead of a longer elaborate battle that requires both the offensive and defensive player to remain intuitively engaged and have to think about counter-moves and be punished for tactical mistakes..Not to de-volve into one player helplessly chasing another that has an unbalanced advantage because of the defensive-nature of the abilities and the inability to R+G in a FPS that requires R+G for extended kills. 

First look at #soon:

53e5019cb45643fa9a13fb70ce812656.gif