CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This isnt just posting on forums, preaching to the choir about a flawed game. This 343 inviting your opinion into their database, directly to the peaple putting the game together and making the decisions.

This is the best possible way to deliver our message, so if you've given up or your too thick headed to have another go, then thats your downfall, and thats you bringing the team down. This is our best possible chance and I want to go to release knowing I put in my 100%.

Oh! I see. so this is where they really really listen to us about sprint? bullshit. Id rather create a project with the community.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, because they've shown how much our feedback matters to them.

yeah like loosing 100k copies sold compared to the millions of copies that will be sold will make them care. Seriously I'd take my chances at just telling them what's wrong. Maybe I'm just not as cynical as the rest of you guys are, but the fact that all the h4 bullshit is gone tells me that there's a chance they can listen to reason, even if it is a slim one.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What makes you believe it has sprint?

And I don't see this game actually being released. No offense to the good developers but yeah I don't see a group of guys doing something in their free time making a game like Halo. This isn't some indie game they are making, very ambitious. But I'd love to eat those words and pay for that game even it was free. So only time will tell. Best of luck though Edit: though it seems like you are a dev there. I don't mean for this post to sound, well mean. I just have seen these kinds of projects just kind... disappear 

http://www.project-contingency.net/t248p735-the-questions-thread-ask-questions-here-leave-with-more#14566

We've been working on Project #soon for about a year now. It's actually coming along a lot more in the past couple months, although we're just a small group working on a near 0 budget. We understand the importance of starting small; although the project is ambitious, I believe we can get the very bare bones of what makes Halo good. Besides, it's just the multiplayer without vehicles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

yeah like loosing 100k copies sold compared to the millions of copies that will be sold will make them care. Seriously I'd take my chances at just telling them what's wrong. Maybe I'm just not as cynical as the rest of you guys are, but the fact that all the h4 bullshit is gone tells me that there's a chance they can listen to reason, even if it is a slim one.

There are more than 100k fans out there that want what we want. I can 100% guarantee you this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

At a time and space when we have something more presentable.

Can you confirm that this is basically what I was talking about? and is this for pc, or consoles?

Edit: I didn't see your previous post. my bad.

Why don't we wait and see what changes are actually made? I am not impressed by the Beta, and I won't be buying the game if major changes aren't made, but then again this is what a beta a year out is for, major changes. Not saying things will be gravy in a year, but it could happen.

Lol at people who think this is an honest beta and they have a year to make changes. They are already working on Halo 6 at this point. Anyone who has designed and developed games, software, etc can tell you that they have dramatically less time until this game goes into a final freeze state. Only changes you will see are those they already have planned to make (or have made in a newer build) and small changes. There is no chance anything serious will change (like sprint) regardless of what is said. Unless they postpone the game and refocus the whole studio on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would say we are in the reviving process right now, would not say we are alive or dead. But we will be put back to square one if Sprint is in H5G

Ah

No

So long as 343 is in charge halo is dead.

They KNOW sprint should go. That's all I need to know.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lol at people who think this is an honest beta and they have a year to make changes. They are already working on Halo 6 at this point. Anyone who has designed and developed games, software, etc can tell you that they have dramatically less time until this game goes into a final freeze state. Only changes you will see are those they already have planned to make (or have made in a newer build) and small changes. There is no chance anything serious will change (like sprint) regardless of what is said. Unless they postpone the game and refocus the whole studio on it.

And this^ right here is why not buying the game and getting as many others not to as well is the only option I have come to.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Come on man, it's one thing to dislike H5, but to say we made no progress since Halo 4 is a straight up lie and you know it. At least I know that no one on the other team might have PV or be crouching across the map on top of their base with camo sniper. I also do not have a 80% chance of encountering a Boltshot up close, have ranks to strive for, no custom classes, hidden perks that speed up reload or shield recharge, symmetrical maps for the most part, predictable power weapon drops...

I respect your opinion on H5, but saying H4 was just as good if not better than H5 is bullshit at an objective level.

They learned a lot of little things that don't come close to making up for the one game breaker.

They haven't learned nearly enough.

Can you confirm that this is basically what I was talking about? and is this for pc, or consoles?

PC, with hope for eventual console release.

It's similar to what you posted, but we're focusing much more on the Halo 1 style of gameplay compared to the later sequels. But that isn't to say that some things from Halo 2 and 3 won't make an appearance.

What I want to happen is for some random studio to come along and make a pure arena shooter on consoles.  No sprint, a faster version of H1-3 movement, interesting weapons, a good utility weapon, even starts, weapons on map, good maps and a badass addicting ranking system.  It doesn't need a campaign, keep it simple but make it very clean and competitive.  That shit would sell.  There is a niche market that has nothing to play on xbox one looking for a classic arena shooter thanks to failure of MCC.  H1-3 are by no means perfect, someone needs to take the good aspects of each of them and make something amazing.  Just name the game something simple like "Arena".

Edit: It would be even better if 343 just did this as a spinoff one year.  Halo: Arena.  Has no campaign, just focused purely on balance and traditional competitive arena gameplay described above.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm Canadian but I signed up anyways and just completed it with no issues.

get  :rekt: 343

Same, fuck the police

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's similar to what you posted, but we're focusing much more on the Halo 1 style of gameplay compared to the later sequels. But that isn't to say that some things from Halo 2 and 3 won't make an appearance.

All I want to say is (if possible) bring back all the GOOD weapons from the later games if they fit gameplay. That is all. Weapons is something they should focus on, but 343 seems to want to make everybody Buzz Lightyear instead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will now stare at that weapon every night b4 i got to bed.

And yes. bring back weapons from other Halos like the Grenade launcher, and railgun.

But most importantly, don't forget to add sprint Kappa

http://www.project-contingency.net/t248p735-the-questions-thread-ask-questions-here-leave-with-more#14566

We've been working on Project #soon for about a year now. It's actually coming along a lot more in the past couple months, although we're just a small group working on a near 0 budget. We understand the importance of starting small; although the project is ambitious, I believe we can get the very bare bones of what makes Halo good. Besides, it's just the multiplayer without vehicles.

Neat. However, as long as sprint is implemented I don't really think I would like it better than H5. I have never played a game with sprint that I liked. But if you decide not to implement it I would rather give you 65 $ insted of 343. 

CE pistol starting utility weapon confirmed. I can just imagine some CE die-hard who has waited installment after installment for the CE pistol to return being like "Take that Bungie!"   :P

I hope y'all do look at experimenting with Halo's movement scheme in a skill-ful way(aka not clamber or sprint) and possibly even implement a momentum system similar to other Arena FPS. I love Halo CE, but its movement systems are bland today compared to other shooters and not as in depth as they could be. Y'all could really make a good Halo if you focus on nailing the core gameplay of Halo but also improving on various aspects of Halo on a comp level.

Okay, time for my Week 2 feedback. @@Deez @@Sal1ent

First up I'm going to talk about the maps, including revisiting Truth and Empire as I've been thinking about all 4 maps a lot over this past week, particularly in relation to how they would play with the BR/Magnum loadout we were using.

Maps:

Truth:

Overall I enjoy Truth, however I feel that the map allows too much mobility. Being able to jump from the bases or windows straight to the central platform is especially egregious as it allows players spawning in the bases to almost immediately get angles into either of the side towers. This, and the ability to approach the platform from the bottom floor of the map weakens the position significantly relative to how it was in previous incarnations.

Additionally the top level of the pink tower, often colloquially knows as "P3" feels a little on the weak side on Truth. Despite this I'm struggling to pinpoint exactly why however I think I would settle on it being a little clumsier to move around on and the power creep of other locations on the map thanks to the redesign (the Bends offer better cover than the correlating "bubbles" on Midship/Heretic and the presence of DMRs spawning at them makes them good positions to swiftly clear P3 with a range and cover advantage).

My final issue with the map is with its visuals - Truth currently doesn't make very good first impressions. The redesigned Covenant geometry seems to be a lot more sprawling, organic, and bulky as opposed to smoother designs we've seen in the past which can make it difficult to differentiate between the side towers initially. This issue is compounded by the lighting and colours not lending themselves very well to making different sections of the map distinct and clear (with the exception of the bases, which are easily identified by colour) to the point that players aren't always clearly identified thank to the visual white noise.

Ultimately I believe that Truth would benefit from a little more enforced structure and an adjustment of weapon placement to return some of the pink tower's desirability to it.

Empire:

I really want to like Empire, but a few things keep leading to to feeling at best apathetic about it. I'll avoid talking about the power weapon layout because I know that it's already been addressed and will very likely be different for release.

The big issues I have with Empire is that players can Clamber everywhere! Positions that should hold a degree of power thanks to their height are in practice just as easily flanked as any other position due to the ability to chain Clamber and the other movement abilities together to go from the bottom floor of the yard to pretty much any high point on the map in a matter of seconds with a plethora of traversal routes to choose from.

Empire also has a few visual issues: most notably extremely bright lighting flares in certain areas or extreme darkness in others. The other (fairly minor) visual issue I had with Empire was the skybox making it difficult to immediately identify players who are moving around the raised sections of red and blue bend in the outside area. This was particularly bad with red players on the blue bend.

One suggestion I have to help make the map more Slayer friendly would be to introduce a tunnel into the glass wall at the pit area which opens into a small room below the turbine that resurfaces at either side of the bottom of the stairs leading toward the outside weapon pad.

Regret:

Regret has been my favourite symmetrical map so far in the beta.

With that out of the way there are a few things that can cause frustration. The first of which would be the base colouration; Regret's distinction between the bases isn't quite as significant as that in Truth which often leads to players getting confused between the two. Even something as simple as giving red base a red grav lift would make a big positive difference.

There's a little geometry issue at the Ramparts. Crouch walking into the cylindrical pillar at the edge of each Rampart can attempt to trigger the ground pound. This will likely be a non-issue once crouch and ground pound aren't tied to the same input.

I would love to see powerups on this map! I think that the central tunnel is a great place to put a camo and that the little pillar in the top mid enclosure or the back of the Overhang tower would be solid places for an Overshield. As for the power weapon on the map, I wasn't initially a fan of the Hydra on this map, but it has grown on me a lot.

Eden:

Despite reading a lot of complaints about this map I enjoyed it from the start. It took the longest to understand how to play well, if not the longest to simply learn routes and weapon placement etc which was fairly routine. It wasn't until I got a good chance to play around with the spawn system when (a little regretfully) winning a game 50-0 in an actual 4v4 scenario that the map really began to click with me and I understood how to play it better against more demanding opponents.

That said, the map does tend to be able to sink into a stalemate quite easily. I believe the following layout changes would make significant headway against this problem:
- Sword removed. Replaced with Overshield (60 or 90s spawn timer).

- Sniper Rifle replaced with Active Camo (60 or 90s spawn timer).

- Hydra added outside, behind the dynamic trigger box. (120s spawn timer)

- Sniper Rifle added to Security in the same position as the current weapon pad at the corresponding area on Empire (180s timer if the Sniper Rifle remains as easy to use as it is in the beta, 120 otherwise)

- Move initial spawns to either side of the main courtyard near to each dynamic jump up with initial lines of sight blocked by these platforms. I think this would feel a little like team games on Prisoner in Halo CE - teams both spawn on the bottom of a vertically oriented map without direct line of sight on each other, allowing for the options of an immediate fight or to instead move out and seek higher ground and powerups.

This would strongly encourage continuous rotations around the map by making acquisition of powerups and power weapons a greater advantage than locking down a position with a tenuous lead.

Visually this map has some of the same issues with light and dark areas as Empire. There's a particular glare that can happen in the red corner leading to the catwalk connecting to Security that can be blinding.

Again, I think this map is the most interesting so far in the beta. The dynamic jump and cover elements are subtle yet useful and the basic design of the map reminds me a bit of some classic Halo maps.

Next up I'm going to share my thought about the general gameplay after a week of BR starts.

Gameplay:

Lots of points to come in this section, several of which will likely be reiterations of things I mentioned after the early access period or Week 1, but first of all I'd like to say that although the BR is my least liked precision weapon in Halo 5 (and Halo in general, frankly) I enjoy the game plays more with a ranged weapon such as the BR than with Week 1's loadout.

* It's a dead horse that's been beaten almost to dust at this point, but Sprint really isn't doing the game any favours (expansion of my reasoning is here). I recently spent a day playing without ever sprinting and didn't find any jumps or routes that demanded it as a necessity, and several things became apparent:

- The base movement speed feel like it could do with about a 20% increase. It feels almost as slow as the default speed in Halo: Reach which felt notoriously slow and limiting.

- Watching my gameplay back without sprint made it look a lot more identifiable as a Halo game. There were routes I was taking and movements I was making that I typically wouldn't do with sprint as an option thanks to its ability to go directly from one place to the other or to be used defensively as an escape tool make it an easier option.

- The maps are actually scaled quite nicely for traditional Halo movement.

* Thruster has both offensive and defensive uses, however the defensive uses currently far outweigh the offensive ones.

Linked here: [http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/8748-the-thruster-problem/#entry380262] is a post I recently made about the Thruster and how I think it could be reworked to favour saving it for advancing the state of play rather than merely maintaining it or preventing the opponent from advancing the game.

* Reticle friction feels great in this game, but the bullet magnetism seems to be way too high. The centre of the reticle rarely need to actually be over the target to land a hit. Given the slightly faster kill times I think that this aspect of aim assist should be less forgiving (and frankly less noticeable; it's quite obvious right now) than it currently is. Particularly notable offenders are the Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, and DMR. The AR and DMR especially seem to hit a remarkable amount of bullets despite being at full bloom (for the AR) and outside of their respective red reticle ranges.

* Clambering is currently too heavily relied upon and too easy to execute. If press to clamber was the only option and the window of time in which a player could initiate a clamber was reduced a little it would be possible to fail a clamber in much the same way as any jump could have been failed.

* Magnum recoil feels really weird. It doesn't seem to be massive, but when you're firing it it feels extremely difficult to aim at all on the Y axis. Given its limitations and difficulty next to the BR and DMR I believe it needs to allow the player to keep control of the weapon while firing it. A bit of an extension to its red reticle range (both scoped and unscoped) would also help make it more capable of standing up to the easier rifles at medium ranges which in turn would help reduce the feeling of both weapons competing for the same range niche when spawning with AR/Magnum.

* I'd love to see grenade capacity increased to 4 of each like in Halo 1 and 2. This does a lot to help give individual players more power over certain scenarios in a game.

* We've currently seen that in weapons where there is a "spread" mechanic the Smart Scope is causing a significant tightening of the spread cone. Whilst understandable for automatic weapons if this is in place for any of the precision weapons I implore that it be removed and their scoped and unscoped shots are equally as precise (the DMR and Light Rifle feel like excellent examples to draw from here).

* Speaking of the Light Rifle - the aim assist on this thing feels pretty close to perfect. I would love to see the DMR and BR feel the same as the unscoped LR.

* Please remove the possibility for thrown grenades to detonate when shot. Nobody does it intentionally and having a grenade blow up in your hand just makes it feel like the universe is out to get you at that moment.

* If a weapon locks onto a target before it fires I believe there should be an audio tell for the targeted player to be alerted that they need to seek cover or risk getting blown up.

* Please bring back the traditional deathcam. It should include a respawn countdown, the ability to cycle through team mates' 3rd person perspectives with the Dpad. Additionally it would be great if the killfeed and bottom right mini-scoreboard & game clock HUD widgets continued to show throughout the death screen. In the last second before respawning the main scoreboard should be brought up so that the player can quickly identify how many players are dead/alive/remaining in the game.

Next up some little points about the visuals and audio of the game.

Visuals and Audio:

I think it would be widely appreciated if the DMR's scope was a bit less obstructive on the screen. If this change is possible I would definitely appreciate it (either that or a way to toggle smart scope with traditional scoping graphics in the player's preferences).

A lot of map lighting feels like it needs to be normalised to improve the clarity of environments and players. Any such optimisations would be massively helpful at creating a game that will be less frustrating to occasionally play.

I'd be extremely grateful for the following two audio toggles:

* The ability to turn all in-game music off.
* Toggling Spartan Chatter between Off, Reduced, and Full in which Reduced would remove all non-essential chatter.

And that's it for week 2. Having started playing week 3 I do have 2 quick things to add:

The Rocket Launcher's new model. WHAT!? WHY!? :'(

I found a bug with the Rocket Launcher (I'll record a clip of this and link it here next time I'm playing):

1. Acquire a Rocket Launcher.

2. Fire a rocket and thrust immediately after pulling the trigger.

3. Ammo will be consumed and the rocket firing sound will play, however the rocket itself won't actually appear in the game world.

Thanks again for having a beta so early. I sincerely hope that the final game is one that we all want to play, partially as a result of the feedback provided by the player during this beta period.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Neat. However, as long as sprint is implemented I don't really think I would like it better than H5. I have never played a game with sprint that I liked. But if you decide not to implement it I would rather give you 65 $ insted of 343.

He linked you to project contingency which he's not a part of. He is part of project #soon which will be mostly inspired by Halo CE. Trust me, there won't be sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All I want to say is (if possible) bring back all the GOOD weapons from the later games if they fit gameplay. That is all. Weapons is something they should focus on, but 343 seems to want to make everybody Buzz Lightyear instead.

Looks like we have to throw away our player model.

I will now stare at that weapon every night b4 i got to bed.

And yes. bring back weapons from other Halos like the Grenade launcher, and railgun.

But most importantly, don't forget to add sprint Kappa

3efd196c9ba4cab2c9ce714621c6f6e5.png

CE pistol starting utility weapon confirmed. I can just imagine some CE die-hard who has waited installment after installment for the CE pistol to return being like "Take that Bungie!"   :P

I hope y'all do look at experimenting with Halo's movement scheme in a skill-ful way(aka not clamber or sprint) and possibly even implement a momentum system similar to other Arena FPS. I love Halo CE, but its movement systems are bland today compared to other shooters and not as in depth as they could be. Y'all could really make a good Halo if you focus on nailing the core gameplay of Halo but also improving on various aspects of Halo on a comp level.

We're not looking into modifying base player traits, I feel having simple movement is important for a Halo-style game. Although there will be weapons and items that allow players to get around in creative ways.

• Upvote (+1) 4

They learned a lot of little things that don't come close to making up for the one game breaker.

They haven't learned nearly enough.

while true, I give credit credit is due. The game to me feels more like halo than 4 or reach, and it's definitely more fun to play than those two(not counting invasion, I fucking love that gametype). Of course, there's much more that can be done IMO.

Wait you guys are putting sprint in project contingency?