CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I agree. But lots of people like to hop on the hate train. Is it perfect, no it's not. But there are a lot of good things about H5 that people love to ignore.

I don't think people are ignoring the good features. Have a look at the H5 beta poll on this site. Many people have voted in favour of the new spartan abilities, but unfortunately these are being overshadowed by the one addition that seems to break the core of Halo the most, sprint.

I don't think people are ignoring the good features. Have a look at the H5 beta poll on this site. Many people have voted in favour of the new spartan abilities, but unfortunately these are being overshadowed by the one addition that seems to break the core of Halo the most, sprint.

On this page of the thread alone, there have been multiple comments about how terrible Thruster is. It's not bad, its actually fine for the game, if not good for it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

clamber leads to sloppy map design

thruster is fine but currently OP

sprint is sprint

shoulder charge replaces the melee lunge so i personally don't mind it

sliding takes too long to activate to be useful in most situations. 

haven't seen the stabilizers abused enough to have an opinion

ground pound is fucking awesome other than the fact that it ruined crouching

• Upvote (+1) 6

On this page of the thread alone, there have been multiple comments about how terrible Thruster is. It's not bad, its actually fine for the game, if not good for it. 

There have been just as many good comments about it possibly working with a slight nerf. Most of the negative comments, I've read, have been about it being used to escape death in conjunction with sprint.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/549728159935913984

Not a big deal for me, but maybe for some players. But again a step backwards

What the actual fuck man. 

Halo 4 had great customization.. I don't even comprehend anymore. I could take the other shit but customization is a big thing for me in games. Glad they shit over it just like they shit all over the midship remake. 

Why go backwards while adding a bunch of random new features. I knew it was a bad sign when they killed MCC customization. This is the reason. 

Why would you compare SMG starts in H2 and H3 with BR starts in H5?

Also, SMG starts are bad for completely different reasons than e.g. sprint.

But I do agree that H5 is at least better than Default Reach (but that's like saying something smells better than a pile of donkey shit - not very hard).

Because we've played 3 different varieties of TS in the beta so far, and all of them give the player a capable headshot weapon off spawn. H5's equivalent to AR start blows previous attempts out of the water (even though I think that the pistol's effective range is a little short currently).

Additionally, for all we know Halo 5's Slayer experience won't have different gametypes with different weapons. Hopefully they pick a loadout and stick with it, in which case the entirety of the Slayer playlist experience from other games has to be compared to it in order to maintain a fair judgement.

And again, I go back to the weapon spawn systems. Halo 5's system does a hell of a lot for making playing without a group of friends more enjoyable thanks to the static timers and notifications bringing flow that existed only above a certain knowledge gap in previous games down to all levels of the dedication spectrum. Yet skilled players still have the advantage thanks to grenade tricks returning.

If we're to compare competitive playlist experiences I'm sure I'd currently lean in favour of at least CE and ZBNS Reach (and probably H2, although I have very mixed opinions on H2), but as a basic less serious Slayer experience I'd definitely rather play Halo 5 at this point in time. As a further point of clarification - I think Slayer in every Halo other than the first is absolutely terrible as both a casual and competitive gametype, mostly due to a lack of encouraged structure. H5's weapon spawns almost fix this, but then it has sprint which is the antithesis to structure in a Halo match so those almost cancel each other out for me.

Basically, I could go on a tangent about terrible crap in any Halo game after the first. But that wouldn't mean they don't have some redeeming qualities as well. I just don't think any of the positives really outweigh the negatives for what I'm looking for in a game, but if it weren't for the elephant in the room that is Sprint H5 would be (and in some situations I would claim it still is) coming closest by a gigantic margin, whereas the other games are bogged down by an accumulation of smaller issues that compound into miserably cheapened gameplay experiences.

EDIT: A little off on a tangent, but spawning with ARs in any capacity doesn't do Halo 5 any favours. Teamshooting with those things in Strongholds is beyond ridiculous. Wave an opponent in and welcome him to the meat-grinder...

• Upvote (+1) 1

the halo community at it's finest

Everything you have said in this thread has been completely ignorant dude. You're out of your depth. Read a little bit on here before you go around posting waypoint/halofollower tier comments.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would have joined if it wasn't restricted to US citizens currently. Hope they open it up internationally soon...

In theory, what if you just...you know...lie?

I'm not American but I want in on some of this action.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think vertical map design is one of the biggest things Halo is lacking. A higher base speed without sprint would solve a lot of problems. Toss in additional jump height and it creates more challenging 1v1 fights because it's not limited to two axis.

The extra movement options with thruster and clamber aren't bad for halo. In fact, id argue they are necessary for the evolution of Halo. They just need to be slightly repurposed. Clamber itself isn't necessary, but allow something similar like a wall jump (but only 1 wall jump, not back and forth between them) that could be done from any position. Meaning running backwards, or strafing. This would allow for so much more options with vertical level design, as well as add depth to a battle.

Mobility is important, but vertical mobility in particular is what is necessary to drive Halo forward, increase the skill gap, and allow for sick plays (that are more than no scopes).

We use to have wall jumping that was really hard to do, ghost jumping, which made for some absolutely amazing plays. Although pros didn't really do them.

Don't get first shot? Thrust away. Amazing #Immersion

• Upvote (+1) 3

clamber leads to sloppy map design

thruster is fine but currently OP

sprint is sprint

shoulder charge replaces the melee lunge so i personally don't mind it

sliding takes too long to activate to be useful in most situations.

haven't seen the stabilizers abused enough to have an opinion

ground pound is fucking awesome other than the fact that it ruined crouching

this, except smart scope sucks. Weapons shouldn't be more accurate while aiming, ever.

I actually have gotten used to clamber. I would like to able to shoot while doing it however, but as long as there are key jumps that can't be clambered and require skill, I'm fine with it because it would allow easy traversing of geometry without necessarily dumbing down maps.

People complaining about how big the new rockets are and seem to forget the size of the spnkr? We all hate the new design but DAMN! how ignorant is that?! At least complain about something thats actually true. It even took someone to photoshop the size of it. This community is awful. this is sad.

• Upvote (+1) 5

People complaining about how big the new rockets are and seem to forget the size of the spnkr? We all hate the new design but DAMN! how ignorant is that?! At least complain about something thats an actually true. It even took someone to photoshop the size of it. This community is awful. this is sad.

I'm pretty sure the spnkr actually took up less screen realestate. But a comparison would be nice.

Just signed up for the "feedback program" by simply telling it I'm American. Let's see if it works.

Has anyone realized how big melee lunge is in this game?

Although it's a byproduct of crappy mechanics which affect the rest of the game negatively, I have to say so far in H5 I'm hardly ever in a situation where I feel like I should melee (assassinations excluded), which is great because the melee system has sucked ass for forever.

• Upvote (+1) 1