CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So here is my conspiracy theory on why the casuals hate BR starts:It is their TVs.

Most of these casual gamers play for the lore, the storyline of the campaign, and yada-yada on these massive HD TVs.

When it comes time to play multiplayer, they can not shoot for shit, specifically with precision weapons. Now yes i understand they wont have the aiming skill of your MLG guru, but they should not be on the level where it looks they have never played..

Causals simply hate BR starts because they cannot aim and not because they lack skill (anyone whose played all the campaigns i would imagine has decent aiming skills), but they cannot aim because of their TVs Millisecond Response time. 

Any TV with a response time greater than 2ms is garbarge for halo- we all know this. However, talk to the casuals and they say "response time what?"

It is not as noticeable when playing twitch shooter because of the fast kill times, but in halo's case you need to make sure you can land you shots- not just 1 shot and done. 

So TLDR; Casuals hate BR starts because they can not aim- and not because they lack skill- but because there TVs are hindering their ability. The worse part of it all is that the casuals are not even aware/don't care they are hindered by the TVs!

ALERT THE PRESS

I disagree. Someone who doesn't bother learning the game and understanding its intricate mechanics and what goes into it shouldn't have a say when it comes to design decisions. I consider myself qualified to voice my opinion on Halo because I spent thousands and thousands of hours on the game and understand what is needed for X result to happen and what are the negative impacts that Y might cause if changed.

For the record I love racing maps, and I have fun in Action Sack playlists, but that's not the point here. The point is that you don't ask a 12 year old for their opinion on what's wrong with your car, but you will ask someone who can break down a car and put it back together in a working manner. It's a simple matter of fact that some people aren't "qualified" to voice their opinion on the matter and should just refrain from doing so...

You don't see me asking for weapon spawn points to be moved on CE because I can't land a grenade launch from a specific spot I want. It's the same thing.

You don't ask them what's wrong or have them troubleshoot, but if they aren't having fun with BR starts does 343 say "fuck em?" 

Either way, I don't particularly care cause if pistol/AR starts get tweaked that'll be good for everyone anyway. 

So, people who accept sprint... would buy Halo regardless of Sprint/No-Sprint. Meanwhile, people who don't accept sprint... won't accept Halo as much.

So, in other words: If Halo hasno-sprint, everyone is happy, 343 gets their sales, we get a good game, done. Why the fuck is so hard to understand it?

Doju made a thread on reddit and some of us were hunting down afks and noobs in order to test perfect kills with the weapons and sending him the clips to work it out.

When I get off work I'll ask him if he got the values and link the thread if it's been updated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rse9w/kill_times_for_all_weapons_in_the_h5_beta/

There's the thread for weapon times.

Also I'm streaming and doing the "no sprint challenge" in the H5 beta at www.twitch.tv/matclan for anyone who might care to support that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rse9w/kill_times_for_all_weapons_in_the_h5_beta/

There's the thread for weapon times.

Also I'm streaming and doing the "no sprint challenge" in the H5 beta at www.twitch.tv/matclan for anyone who might care to support that.

Dumbfounded that automatics stronger than precision weapons made it this far. This is why we'll need a second beta...

Upvoted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We can start streaming saying NO SPRINT - [username] Halo 5 Multiplayer Beta or something like that. Protest move.

You don't ask them what's wrong or have them troubleshoot, but if they aren't having fun with BR starts does 343 say "fuck em?" 

Either way, I don't particularly care cause if pistol/AR starts get tweaked that'll be good for everyone anyway. 

The first post I asked was a question on the matter, I didn't even understand what the problem was.

They're gonna complain either way once the AR gets nerfed.

I have been fight the good fight of no sprint around the net. I think people are just giving up on the topic telling everyone to drop it because they are not going to change it. So why are we having a beta test? Lets just give up on testing the game they wont change it apparently. 

So here is my conspiracy theory on why the casuals hate BR starts:It is their TVs.

Most of these casual gamers play for the lore, the storyline of the campaign, and yada-yada on these massive HD TVs.

When it comes time to play multiplayer, they can not shoot for shit, specifically with precision weapons. Now yes i understand they wont have the aiming skill of your MLG guru, but they should not be on the level where it looks they have never played..

Causals simply hate BR starts because they cannot aim and not because they lack skill (anyone whose played all the campaigns i would imagine has decent aiming skills), but they cannot aim because of their TVs Millisecond Response time.

Any TV with a response time greater than 2ms is garbarge for halo- we all know this. However, talk to the casuals and they say "response time what?"

It is not as noticeable when playing twitch shooter because of the fast kill times, but in halo's case you need to make sure you can land you shots- not just 1 shot and done.

So TLDR; Casuals hate BR starts because they can not aim- and not because they lack skill- but because there TVs are hindering their ability. The worse part of it all is that the casuals are not even aware/don't care they are hindered by the TVs!

While I agree that it is nearly impossible to play Halo "properly" on an LED big screen TV, I do NOT agree that "anything over 2ms is garbage for Halo". I've played Halo on both a 5ms and a 7ms monitor before and it felt / I performed fine. I only have 1ms displays because I got them for a steal of a deal for being 24" ASUS's ($149 each a few years ago).

However, most currently commonplace flatscreen TVs (that aren't plasmas, since their response time is far superior to LCD/LED TVs) not only have response times of 6+ MS, but they also have a significant amount of input lag as well. Now when you combine the fact that many older models don't have a "game mode" option that turns off most post-processing and therefore results in a response time that can be in the range of 100-200ms in some cases, and you've got a piss-poor, absolutely unplayable experience.

So again: I agree with your premise, I just don't agree that you can't play on a display with more than 2ms response time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just sat down and played a couple of games and its just now occurring to me how bad it actually is. 

Thrusters and sprint make this game completely unplayable. I on 3 games did not have a single one on one battle without someone using a thruster pack when they were about to die. It makes it extremely impossible to kill people far away when they overextend and thruster back when they're about to get killed. Im tired of it and this game is not halo. I usually dont outright and complain like this but its just not fun and there is no other way to put it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

u know that post said popular, not any fps

Oh so you're saying that those games aren't popular? Not sure if srs.

So... how are people defending this? "It's too hard to use the BR, it sucks?" what are people even asking for?

Using the BR would be "easier" if people didn't thrust off then run when they are about to die. Maybe that is the real problem? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

While I agree that it is nearly impossible to play Halo "properly" on an LED big screen TV, I do NOT agree that "anything over 2ms is garbage for Halo". I've played Halo on both a 5ms and a 7ms monitor before and it felt / I performed fine. I only have 1ms displays because I got them for a steal of a deal for being 24" ASUS's ($149 each a few years ago).

However, most currently commonplace flatscreen TVs (that aren't plasmas, since their response time is far superior to LCD/LED TVs) not only have response times of 6+ MS, but they also have a significant amount of input lag as well. Now when you combine the fact that many older models don't have a "game mode" option that turns off most post-processing and therefore results in a response time that can be in the range of 100-200ms in some cases, and you've got a piss-poor, absolutely unplayable experience.

So again: I agree with your premise, I just don't agree that you can't play on a display with more than 2ms response time.

I vouch for this. As somebody who has played on tv's with a 30-100 ms lag my whole life, as soon as i played on a <5ms it was game changing. I was playing CoD, and instead of averaging a 1k/d like i normally did, i was dominating. 

I havent played halo on one yet but i cant wait to, i can finally be on the same level as others.

How did you activate the ground pound so quickly? I was in that exact spot yesterday and mine took take eight years to charge.

No idea honestly man. lol

I vouch for this. As somebody who has played on tv's with a 30-100 ms lag my whole life, as soon as i played on a <5ms it was game changing. I was playing CoD, and instead of averaging a 1k/d like i normally did, i was dominating.

I havent played halo on one yet but i cant wait to, i can finally be on the same level as others.

It's input lag that screws with actions registering on a tv late, not response time.

You can only sprint with full shields.

Has anyone thought of that yet? If we do get stuck with sprint. That seems like the best of both worlds to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's input lag that screws with actions registering on a tv late, not response time.

whats the difference?

Using the BR would be "easier" if people didn't thrust off then run when they are about to die. Maybe that is the real problem? 

But using the BR is not hard, nor does it need to be made easier. People are just dumb and let shitty games like H2A and H4 define their standards of "shots which should hit" when in fact these games babysit the fuck out of everyone.

You can only sprint with full shields.

Has anyone thought of that yet? If we do get stuck with sprint. That seems like the best of both worlds to me.

I actually brought this up a little while ago. It would fit with their #immersion concept because if your shields and sprint are truly "linked", then it would make sense to have full shield strength to power sprint. There really wasn't much conversation about it because it was in the heat of everyone posting how much they hate sprint.

Honestly though it would help with the most frustrating aspect of sprint - which is people escaping a fight. You're still going to see some chaos with people spawning and getting to sprint back to a fight or a power position. But it's a start at least.

On a decent winning record so far today and haven't sprinted yet. One thing is painfully apparent: Base speed is way too slow. It feels like default Reach just with a slightly better strafe and a higher jump. Not good!

Also, I think the DMR should be the utility weapon, but as a 4sk with the Light Rifle's aim assist values.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You bring up an interesting point, however I don't think big TV's are the issue at all. They're simply just bad at the game and don't understand game design. I've played on plenty of laggy TV's. Hell, one time I had to play Halo 1 on a freakin' projector at a tournament. It's not THAT big of an issue for casual gamers.

The bad players theoretically won't get matched against good players. The input lag doesn't really become a game breaker until you reach a certain point, at which you're probably well aware of input lag anyway.

And every single last one pulls the " I have played since CE " card and they're lying sacks of shit that started playing when Reach came out.

Oh, they've probably played Halo CE... When they were 5 years old with their big brother playing through the campaign together exactly once. Did they play Halo on XBC? Hahahaha, not a chance in hell.

How did you activate the ground pound so quickly? I was in that exact spot yesterday and mine took take eight years to charge.

I imagine having host probably helps.

It would work fine if it was just reticle magnetism and no bullet curvature.

Nah, reticle magnetism would only help for the hitscan weapons, however a lot of weapons are slow projectiles meaning the only weapons worth picking up would be the lightning gun, railgun and maybe the rocket launcher. Things like predicting mid air rockets would become almost impossible.

Quake and UT on console may as well be a completely different game to Quake and UT on PC. I watched a "pro" UT gameplay on PS3 and I felt embarrassed watching it. No vertical gameplay. No dodging. Spamming chainguns everywhere... Ugh.

I asked this Q to my 11-12 year old cousin who loves halo but started on Halo Reach:

Q) "If they were to take out sprint, how would you feel?"

A) "It would feel weird but I wouldn't mind it. I mean, I could deal with it on H2 anniversary and H3 so, yea. I wouldn't really mind it."

thots? thoughts?