CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The guy that leaked all the xbox info a year ago also said that h5's multi would be split in two 

And it turned out he was right about everything else. Even the port of Halo 4, that we all said was crazy.

watch them bring back ordnance drops

Wouldn't surprise me. "Go play arena if you don't like OD" -Everyone on Waypoint

• Upvote (+1) 5

if 343 could add promo series to decide weather you go up a tier or not and if they had seasons where they reset everyone's rank at the end, then it would be perfect. (like from LoL)

The promo series from LoL has got to be one of the best things to ever make it into competitive gaming.

It's like playing at a tournament from the comfort of your home.

The promo series from LoL has got to be one of the best things to ever make it into competitive gaming.

It's like playing at a tournament from the comfort of your home.

I totally agree with the promo series thing, but the second part of your post made me smile. Both Warcraft 3 and Bloodline Champions had ingame tournament systems. So you could literally play a tournament from the comfort of your home through the game itself.

I totally agree with the promo series thing, but the second part of your post made me smile. Both Warcraft 3 and Bloodline Champions had ingame tournament systems. So you could literally play a tournament from the comfort of your home through the game itself.

Oh don't worry, I'd love that to.

Imagine being able to organise a tournament through a browser interface. Add players, teams, etc. Then setup dedicated servers with the map rotations and stuff?

No way for players to cheat, etc.

I guess I'm dreaming though...

The guy that leaked all the xbox info a year ago also said that H5's multi would be split in two. So far he's been right about every leak including Arena in H5, so I expect the other part of the multiplayer to be on point as well...and it sounds...umm

Lol at calling this Arena mode Halo 2 reloaded. The nerve of this dude.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Lol at calling this Arena mode Halo 2 reloaded. The nerve of this dude.

I think he used h2 because it didn't contain ordnance drops, loadouts, perks etc. He could have easily said H3 as well. 

System Link is all fun and good if you have friends with their own Xboxes. However I'm talking about playing with my family members who share the same Xbox. It really isn't feasible for us to buy 3 more Xboxes just so we can play 4 player.

My wife and I have our own Xbox's.

When I lived at home my brother and I had separate Xbox's.

Seriously what's with all the apologists?. Split screen is/should be considered a standard feature. We shouldn't be okay with going backwards. If there was no co-op, some form of theatre mode or forge, would you complain?. If they downgraded these things you come to expect because it was in the previous games.

Then again what am I saying? I'm probably trying to convince the same crowd who swear week in, week out that they're selling their Xbox one yet continue to hold on to a 465 dollar broken game ignoring the facade that is 343s supposed plan to bring halo back to the glory days.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a real bummer but I can see why. Halo has barely ever been playable with 4 player split screen anyway. Trying to play 4 player split screen on Prisoner back in the day way awful and the second a grenade or rocket went off everyone's frame rate dipped into the single digits.

In Halo 4 even 2 player split screen was awful and I'd play on my own Xbox and set it up near the couch to play with my wife since the frame rates were so bad with just 2 players. I don't even want to know how bad 4 players was.

So yeah, you COULD play split screen in previous Halo games, but it was pretty freakin' awful. Consoles and LCD's are cheap as hell now and it's not too much effort to ask a mate to bring their Xbox around.

Unfortunately game graphics are evolving more rapidly than hardware can keep up. In the original Halo most of the levels were made out of basic geometric shapes. While developers can reduce the FOV, frame rate and special effects for split screen, there's no way for the developers to remove half of the polygons from the map which is the main cause of frame rate issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

kevin franklin is going to go full ****** with the other multiplayer mode. The battlefield audience is their next targets, it has to be. The COD kids are who they want for Arena, what do you think is gonna happen with BtB? Lol. Those modes/gametypes are gonna be a mess.

I kind of forgot about BTB, I am thinking that is why Quinn and 343 are so adamant about keeping sprint in they see H4 BTB was a large part of their MP audience and they are making some gigantic maps in H5 that require sprint to traverse them. The BTB focus in H4 MP hurt Arena Halo MP players before, and now its happening again. Halo has so many audiences vying for attention, its no wonder the MP no longer has a distinct identity.

with Clamber, say bye bye to stuff like this. Props to @@Vetoed for the gif

WarpedOrganicBats.gif

look at chig and ryanoob

Stuff like this is certainly still possible. There are plenty of ledges to high to clamber or boost jump up to in Halo 5, but you'd be able to jump off your team mates head just like this. I'm fairly certain I saw a team mate jump off another one's head yesterday to get from red ramp to ring 3 on Regret yesterday.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just the thought of 4 players on one screen on the XB1 makes me sick... The screen lag with be unmatched by anything we've every experienced. I think the xbox would probably die...

Sorry, i cannot sign this.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Stuff like this is certainly still possible. There are plenty of ledges to high to clamber or boost jump up to in Halo 5, but you'd be able to jump off your team mates head just like this. I'm fairly certain I saw a team mate jump off another one's head yesterday to get from red ramp to ring 3 on Regret yesterday.  

obviously there are still going to be locations where you and a teammate can coordinate to do things like this, but more than likely you're going to be able to sprint+thrust+jump+clamber to different spots without the need of a teammate or a trick jump. 343 is removing doing "cool shit" by making everything easier for the player.

I've already posted in depth feedback which isn't aggressive or unrealistic, just found it amusing to hear my brother - a more casual player- agree with my concerns. No need to soap box it.

I've had the same thing. My little brother is more of a CoD fan/extremely casual gamer, and I was expecting him to think Halo 5 looked awesome. But to my surprise, when I showed it him, he was instantly disgusted at how unoriginal it looked and how bad some of the features looked in Halo. The first thing he said was: "Wtf it looks more like Advanced Warfare than Halo. That's ridiculous". He's never been much of a Halo fan at all, but he was able to recognize that it was having an identity crisis.

And I'm not sharing this anecdote as if it proves Halo 5 is bad or something. I just thought it was pretty funny and quite surprising.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've had the same thing. My little brother is more of a CoD fan/extremely casual gamer, and I was expecting him to think Halo 5 looked awesome. But to my surprise, when I showed it him, he was instantly disgusted at how unoriginal it looked and how bad some of the features looked in Halo. The first thing he said was: "Wtf it looks more like Advanced Warfare than Halo. That's ridiculous". He's never been much of a Halo fan at all, but he was able to recognize that it was having an identity crisis.

And I'm not sharing this anecdote as if it proves Halo 5 is bad or something. I just thought it was pretty funny and quite surprising.

Girl I work with said her boyfriend had a similar opinion (and he is apparently a huge COD fan). Said it was a horrible miss match of both games. Also said it felt really clunky and slow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

When playing Breakout, I feel as a point should go to the team with more players alive when time runs out..draw rounds should be when its even on both sides  and the time runs out 

What really confuses me is why does sprint have to be in every gamemode when they separate "Arena" from BTB? If BTB truly has loadouts, class abilities and other stuff it'll play differently from other modes anyway. Why does Sprint (and other SAs) have to be the same across all modes, when other things aren't?

You have acknowledged that Halo has a very diverse fan base with different needs, you even split MP into "Arena" and "BTB", please also acknowledged that a mix of competitive features (weapon nading, static timers, equal starts, low aim assist) and "modern fps features" (ads, sprint) is not enough. Split this shit up. Put all the stuff that BTB players want in their gamemode. Give them all their sprint. Hell for all I care you could even make a "casual arena" that is not btb but still includes sprint, ads and if Keven Franklin wants even fucking ordnance. But make a true Arena FPS if you are serious about eSports. Make that CE2 that we have been asking for for so long. If you're gonna separate, you might as well go full separation mode.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're correct here, but what he is saying is that almost every weapon has this crazy delay when swapping weapons or going into scope. It feels terrible. When you play it I fully expect a rant from you in here lol.

I played two games on my friend's laggy big screen so yes I think I remember dealing with the slow zooming. It was annoying. I'll know more after I get a solid night in on my good setup at home. I don't want to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does the battle rifle feel extremely inconsistent to anyone else? When I zoom in it seems like the burst is extremely tight but out of the scope it feels a lot like the H3 battle rifle. If I catch someone off guard I always scope in no matter the distance because it seems a hell of a lot more consistent that way. I wish there was a way we could test this and find out if this was the case. If that's the way it operates it needs to be changed asap.

The guy that leaked all the xbox info a year ago also said that H5's multi would be split in two. So far he's been right about every leak including Arena in H5, so I expect the other part of the multiplayer to be on point as well...and it sounds...umm

I just don't see them ever making Halo bigger than 8v8. It ain't right.

Stick to it? They have butchered COD with ghosts and AW. The casuals just eat any shit thrown their way because it has COD on the boxart and sheer numbers and popularity carry it.

You can't seriously look at COD2 and COD4 or even BO2 then look at ghosts and AW and say that COD devs know what they are doing. The dev's know what casuals want and their marketing team know how to sell it and lets be honest what else are they going to play? All their competition is either a disappointment, on PC, or has a disaster launch. The difference between the developers of COD and 343 is that 343 don't know how to cater to the casuals and draw them in. They both shit on their hardcore fanbase.

There are different devs for different segments of the "COD" franchise.

I was painting the overall theme of "sticking to what works" with a broad brush.

Yes, there will be differences in Ghosts, and AW - however I am looking at the entire franchise from the get go.  Overall they have done a good job of keeping the elements that their customers expect.  

My apologies, I was not trying to be specific and get into a which COD is better debate. 

I just don't see them ever making Halo bigger than 8v8. It ain't right.

yeah well a lot of things in halo lately arent right

sprint, thruster, ads.

if this game came out under a different name, everyone would probably be loving it, but its really different from what halo is(whether it be h1, h2, or h3)

I haven't spent enough time with the beta because when I tried to play it at home I got a server error and after all of the issues with MCC I wasn't in the mood to deal with broken Halo. Will try again tonight and maybe write up some impressions and analysis.

Keen to read your write up CT!

Are the new maps Orion and Pegasus made in Forge? Or are they just maps that haven't been textured yet? They looked a little too complex for Forge from the videos.

Keen to read your write up CT!

Are the new maps Orion and Pegasus made in Forge? Or are they just maps that haven't been textured yet? They looked a little too complex for Forge from the videos.

they're forge maps. but we're only getting one of them to play(for some unknown reason)

As I read more and more posts in this thread, I realize that what we are able to play now is supposed to be the competitive settings, gametypes & maps.

So it appears that we should be the direct target for this beta...

giphy.gif

EDIT :

I just found the spartan animation when there is a tied game

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8