CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

i can handle the gameplay changes, but seeing 343 change virtually everything from weapon models to sound effects on top of it just rubs me the wrong way. they're starting to abuse that artistic license IMO. 

Out of everything for me it's the rockets. When they said in The Sprint 'the original weapon players know and love, the rockets', then showed the rockets, I was kind of like 'hang on, what did you just say?' There was no need to change their model from something that looked cool and original to boring and the same as practically every other game with a rocket launcher in that isn't set in WWII, even then it kinda looks like the M2 Bazooka lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

To help them? is that comment serious? 

Yeah man? I think h5 has a ton of potential and I understand halo is not going to be the same anymore- that was the point for the release of the MCC- "Oh so you dont like h5? Cool here is the MCC"- If it going to evolve, i rather evolve in positive ways than negatives.

The game does not feel like traditional halo, nor does it feel like COD, or any game for that matter.

It feels totally new- GOW Movement, HALO health mechanics and weapons, a twist of halo/COD style aiming, with a hint of shadowrun. I think with a few tweaks this game will be rock solid and i am hear to help.

Literally the DMR is 10x more reliable than the BR in this game.

Furthermore, the nades are far too bouncy.

To help them? is that comment serious?

Are you saying that 343i doesn't need all the help they Can get? Is that comment serious?

This. Rather crossmap no scope than zoom in with the DMR. Hot damn it feels heavy, slow and half your POV is gone.

Other points are accurate however.

that sig though 

So, now that they have showed a couple of Forge maps, what's the deal with Breakout maps? Are they actual maps or is there going to be like a separate Forge for that specific gametype or what?

I'm going to be pissed if those are actual maps. What's the point of wasting time and resources on 2 maps (probably more) that can only be used for 1 gametype and that could have been forged in about 2 days?

Straight up abuse. They need to also stop remaking maps. Along with these two midship disasters they've ruined 4 maps with remakes. I don't want to see any more good maps upscaled to compensate for sprint with an insane amount of cover and boxes added to clamber everywhere

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay, the SMG is too powerful. If they don't get scoped out of their ADS, it's way too accurate at mid-long range. 

Okay, the SMG is too powerful. If they don't get scoped out of their ADS, it's way too accurate at mid-long range. 

This only really bugs me in Breakout and I think playing bumper jumper makes it worse. 

I have to say, overall I'm impressed. I was really expecting it to be dreadful, in fact I had the beta for about 3 days before I even bothered to play it, an didn't download it straight away I the first place.

That being said, I hopped on. First thing: The controls.

Now, it could be just me, but I found playing Halo with left trigger to zoom and all the other 'standard' shooter controls very uncomfortable - this despite recently having been playing Farcry and barely any Halo over the last year. This could just be preference, but I thought the game just seemed a whole lot better with the 'Recon' layout, which has a more classic Halo feel to it.

Clamber

I was a little sceptical about this but I think it seems okay. It's more of a map issue than a clamber issue, but I don't want to see difficult jumps and fluid and clever movement around maps ruined by clamber, because this is a big part of Halo. Sure, some surfaces which are impossible to get up could make use of clamber, but if it's possible with a normal jump I don't think clamber should come into it.

Personally, I think there should be 'Clamber Spots' on each map, rather than the ability to clamber anywhere as this rather ruins clever map movement.

Sprint

People have given a million reasons why sprint shouldn't be in the game so I won't cover old ground, and I assume it's here to stay. With that being said, sprint should have a more limited duration than it currently does, and a cooldown needs to be intertwined with the thruster, since they currently serve a duel purpose of saving your ass when you've made a mistake. The cooldown for both sprint and thruster should therefore be linked.

Other Abilities

Other new abilities seems fairly unimaginative and not useful, nor serve any real purpose or add anything to the game. In particular, the ground pound, as people have mentioned, stops you crouch jumping which would be a terrible shame to remove from Halo.

Announcer/Medals

In recent times, starting with Reach really, Halo has just had way to many medals. Whereas once you got a sense of achievement from seeing medals of all different colours pop up on the screen, now I mean....I got an overall exterm in breakout the other day and it felt meaningless. Medals are stacked upon you for the stupidest things, such as a normal BR headshot kill, a grenade kill, a longshot - there are far too many medals which are utterly meaningless and thus devalue the whole feeling of getting a medal.

Furthermore, whilst it was once easily distinguishable in the corner of your eye to see the double, then the triple etc in the corner of your screen, now the blandness of colours of all the medals just seem to blend into one big dollop of 'meh.' Put simply, reduce the amount of medals significantly and look at the colour contrasts of previous games medals to bring that excitement factor back.

That's about all I've got for now. Of course it would be nice to be able to back out of searching when you're with a party, to view post game carnage reports with top medals etc - but it is only a beta so I'm sure it's been considered.

Overall, though, I'm very much enjoying it and with reasonable time for adjustments, I can see myself buying the game and enjoying Halo again. (P.S would have enjoyed MCC if it ever worked, still doesn't or me).

This only really bugs me in Breakout and I think playing bumper jumper makes it worse. 

That's what I'm playing. And how come playing bumper jumper makes it worse? 

Breakout would enjoyable to me if there was default shields and damage. It just feels unrewarding getting kills at the moment.

Definitely needs some form of obj also

That's what I'm playing. And how come playing bumper jumper makes it worse? 

Because of how you zoom in comparison to some of the other layouts. 

The SMG in the game makes me want to use more of a COD layout for zooming purposes. 

"How is this any different to any other Halo game? Looks too similar in my opinion." - Someone on YouTube lol.

i mean, every CoD looks the same to me. 

But you don't see CoD trying to cater to me and driving all the CoD people away. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah man? I think h5 has a ton of potential and I understand halo is not going to be the same anymore- that was the point for the release of the MCC- "Oh so you dont like h5? Cool here is the MCC"- If it going to evolve, i rather evolve in positive ways than negatives.

The game does not feel like traditional halo, nor does it feel like COD, or any game for that matter.

It feels totally new- GOW Movement, HALO health mechanics and weapons, a twist of halo/COD style aiming, with a hint of shadowrun. I think with a few tweaks this game will be rock solid and i am hear to help.

This game feels similar to H4 and is not going to work. You're in a bizarre honey moon stage if you think it's going to. I don't know how this can be any more clear for individuals like you, the kill times in Halo....do...not...work...with...sprint...and....thrust...they...are...too...slooooowwwww. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone else feel like the delay between switching to the BR and firing the first shot is too long? It wasn't really something I noticed until yesterday when I had full shields watching a corner with snipe, a guy appeared, I hit my snipe, immediately switched to the BR to finish it, and I got 4'd before I was able to get a shot off. Maybe unscoping the sniper played  a part as well, but after it happened I began to notice and feel that when pulling out the BR it takes forever to get the first shot off.

First off I mean no offense in anything I say here, this is not person it just brings up something that I think is worth talking about:

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I think this is a good thing. Under no circumstances is going for an easy body shot and then finishing with a pistol shot EVER a viable strategy in H1 and honestly it works really well. You either hit your snipes or your use your primary. Some easymode combo of the two never works and I have hated that it's been so effective in every Halo game since.

I haven't spent enough time with the beta because when I tried to play it at home I got a server error and after all of the issues with MCC I wasn't in the mood to deal with broken Halo. Will try again tonight and maybe write up some impressions and analysis.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Seeing all these new maps has left me wondering something: Are the beta maps all the smaller maps we'll get in H5, or are we seeing only a portion of H5's small maps?

I don't feel like we've seen much that'll work for Doubles. Hopefully there are a good few extra smaller maps (not Forge maps) in the final game.

Are you saying that 343i doesn't need all the help they Can get? Is that comment serious?

I'm saying anyone who thinks they're actually giving feedback that 343i will listen to is clinically insane and delusional at this point. 343i had years, countless polls and a loud community giving feedback but all of sudden they're going to start listening to the  community now, that is absolutely ridiculous. This beta is not to change mechanics drastically, this beta is simply to test out their matchmaking and ranking systems. In 4 years, 343i has not listened to the community on sprint and other big changes, now after adding even more game crushing mechanics, there are people capable of deluding themselves to think that 343i is going to revert on any of those and actually wants feedback. 

Look at twitter, have the responses from Holmes and Quinn been a message of "that is a good point, we'll take that into consideration" NOOOO. They are defensive in every instance of their additions. Pull your head out of the sand.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

the kill times in Halo....do...not...work...with...sprint...and....thrust...they...are...too...slooooowwwww. 

You should try Breakout. I die so fucking quick in that game it's not even funny. 

This game feels similar to H4 and is not going to work. You're in a bizarre honey moon stage if you think it's going to. I don't know how this can be any more clear for individuals like you, the kill times in Halo....do...not...work...with...sprint...and....thrust...they...are...too...slooooowwwww. 

Idk man, it doesn't feel like h4 to me- It is your personal opinion so i am not going to argue, but it seems like you will be playing the MCC.

I do agree that sprint and thrust need tweaking. 

Thruster needs a charge period before a person can thrust or made as map pick up and sprint needs to be removed or made so you are knocked out of sprint when shot. 

First off I mean no offense in anything I say here, this is not person it just brings up something that I think is worth talking about:

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say I think this is a good thing. Under no circumstances is going for an easy body shot and then finishing with a pistol shot EVER a viable strategy in H1 and honestly it works really well. You either hit your snipes or your use your primary. Some easymode combo of the two never works and I have hated that it's been so effective in every Halo game since.

I haven't spent enough time with the beta because when I tried to play it at home I got a server error and after all of the issues with MCC I wasn't in the mood to deal with broken Halo. Will try again tonight and maybe write up some impressions and analysis.

You're going to love the Magnum swap speed in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i mean, every CoD looks the same to me. 

But you don't see CoD trying to cater to me and driving all the CoD people away. 

I don't think it's possible to drive the CoD crowd away. They'd play literal shit if it had the CoD name on it 

• Upvote (+1) 6