CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Josh Menke who made SC2's also made Halo 5's. It's absolutely boring, because getting placed in semi pro after 10 games is lame.

Why? Isn't the ranking system supposed to accurately show your rank and match you with equally skilled players?

If some nerd like suddoth gets placed semipro after 10 games and stays there forever, because he's too bad to be pro, but too good for onyx, isn't this a good thing?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait you can get placed in Semi-Pro? What the hell do you have to do, I won all my placement games and was like 160K-50A-70D and got Onyx I. What do you gotta average 20-10-5 to get Semi-pro? On a side note anyone care to explain how the semi pro ranking works, at first I thought it was your place among other players. Then I started going up in points when I won games, so what once you hit 1800 or something do you rank up to pro?

Wait you can get placed in Semi-Pro? What the hell do you have to do, I won all my placement games and was like 160K-50A-70D and got Onyx I. What do you gotta average 20-10-5 to get Semi-pro? On a side note anyone care to explain how the semi pro ranking works, at first I thought it was your place among other players. Then I started going up in points when I won games, so what once you hit 1800 or something do you rank up to pro?

what I'm about to say may sound like a lie but I was placed pro after my placement games

I got placed into pro after going 9-1 in Breakout placements. I think placement games are utterly broken atm.

Once you hit Semi-Pro you see your "MMR" (matchmaking rating). 1500 is the minimum to be semi-pro. You increase your MMR by winning and it decreases by loosing. The 200 people with the highest MMR get placed into Pro. So what you need to get Pro depends on what rating the lowest pro has.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't look into your initial placement too much. I've seen guys with negative K/Ds <6 KDAs and 50% win percentage in Onyx, while I am sitting here Gold 3 after winning 8 of 10 with a 1.7 K/D and 6.5 KDA. Only thing I can think of is that those stats don't mean shit and there is something else that matters, or that the system is not working correctly (go figure)

I'm not saying the ranking system or placement matches are really working (after all, it's 343 here we're talking about), but what has the win/lose percentage or K/D to do with it? It's mainly about who you played against. If someone with a worse win/lose ratio is placed better than you he just plays against better opponents.

I really enjoy the ranking system so far.

Semi-Pro to Pro really feels like that 50 grind.

And there are almost only sweatys playing H5 which is good :)

That's the most ******** thing I've seen in this thread in a while.

I wouldn't look into your initial placement too much. I've seen guys with negative K/Ds <6 KDAs and 50% win percentage in Onyx, while I am sitting here Gold 3 after winning 8 of 10 with a 1.7 K/D and 6.5 KDA. Only thing I can think of is that those stats don't mean shit and there is something else that matters, or that the system is not working correctly (go figure)

Lost 1/10 games and i got silver but my friend got pro who was in the same games. Anyone that likes this new ranking system is borderline *****. Winning has nothing to do with ranks as I'm a silver and a gold and I've only lost 2 games out of the 40 games I've played.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lost 1/10 games and i got silver but my friend got pro who was in the same games.

Well, yeah, that's then just completely ********.

Ahahahhahahah

SO my brother, who likes Halo but isn't super into it played 1 game of Halo 5 with me today.

5 seconds in he said "What the fuck is with this red dot shit."

10 seconds after that.

"How the fuck did he escape that?"

We finished the game and he doesn't ever want to play it again.

Why do people insist on making these types of comments about their brother, sister, dog, friend, imaginery friends view on the game? They are almost as bad as the "herp derp I have been playing halo since Bungie made the first build of Halo: CE on the Mac" in my opinion. They serve no other point than just making me think that it is 100% bullshit used to exemplify your own opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Lost 1/10 games and i got silver but my friend got pro who was in the same games. Anyone that likes this new ranking system is borderline *****. Winning has nothing to do with ranks as I'm a silver and a gold and I've only lost 2 games out of the 40 games I've played.

Why would you ever judge a ranking system based on placement games? I totally agree that the way placement games work are completely broken right now, but that's such a small part of the system. Placement games simply determine your starting point within the system. So rather than starting at the lowest possible point (like h2/h3), you start where the game things you might belong after 10 games (again this is really fucked up atm). After that your entire progression is based on winning and loosing. Now imagine they would have set searching parameters really close, so if you are say Gold 2 you can only get matched up vs other Gold 2s and High Gold 1/Low Gold 3. Throw in some time and and you should get 95% close games if you are where you belong. I'm fairly sure this is how it'll be in the final. If this system works correctly you will eventually reach a point where your rank doesn't really change anymore. If this system gets working placement games + matchmaking with small search parameters + everyone plays 100+ games in each playlist, you will see things like Gold 3 being significantly better than Gold 2. And you will be "stuck" at a certain rank as your w/l ratio will get very close to 50/50. This system is meant to put you where you belong, not allow you to grind from min rank to max rank.

Why do people insist on making these types of comments about their brother, sister, dog, friend, imaginery friends view on the game? They are almost as bad as the "herp derp I have been playing halo since Bungie made the first build of Halo: CE on the Mac" in my opinion. They serve no other point than just making me think that it is 100% bullshit used to exemplify your own opinion.

My thoughts exactly. 

Why would you ever judge a ranking system based on placement games? I totally agree that the way placement games work are completely broken right now, but that's such a small part of the system. Placement games simply determine your starting point within the system. So rather than starting at the lowest possible point (like h2/h3), you start where the game things you might belong after 10 games (again this is really fucked up atm). After that your entire progression is based on winning and loosing. Now imagine they would have set searching parameters really close, so if you are say Gold 2 you can only get matched up vs other Gold 2s and High Gold 1/Low Gold 3. Throw in some time and and you should get 95% close games if you are where you belong. I'm fairly sure this is how it'll be in the final. If this system works correctly you will eventually reach a point where your rank doesn't really change anymore. If this system gets working placement games + matchmaking with small search parameters + everyone plays 100+ games in each playlist, you will see things like Gold 3 being significantly better than Gold 2. And you will be "stuck" at a certain rank as your w/l ratio will get very close to 50/50. This system is meant to put you where you belong, not allow you to grind from min rank to max rank.

Yeah the placement is biggest issue. After that, the process of progressing or regressing in rank works fine. Right now I doubt the matchmaking is very strict as its a Beta, but I have seen fairly even matches among SemiPro and Pro ranks getting matches against each other. Just sucks to have to work through so many tiers to get to your true rank because your initial placement was garbage.

what I'm about to say may sound like a lie but I was placed pro after my placement games

I believe it, I saw a pro who had a record of 10-8 with a negative K/D. I guess I just answered my own question lol.

I haven't played 4 player split screen in YEARS. I don't want to. It's such little effort to throw an LCD and an Xbox in the car and play system link instead.

System Link is all fun and good if you have friends with their own Xboxes. However I'm talking about playing with my family members who share the same Xbox. It really isn't feasible for us to buy 3 more Xboxes just so we can play 4 player.

ya i feel like everybody in Halo 5 is sweating their balls off. i had to change my pants. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can fix the flaws in Sprint by creating a stun weapon or grenade so that the spartan cant use their abilities for 3-4 seconds. Call it a Spartan Drain or what have you. Just think about it. They cant Ground Pound,Sprint,Slide or use the Thruster. They would have to rely on classic arena play. It could also fit in the story campaign cause the Master Chief is iffy with the unsc in H5. Agent Locke  trying to track him down and the Chief might resist so a weapon like this could be the only thing to strip a spartan of its power advantage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seriously what's with all the apologists?. Split screen is/should be considered a standard feature. We shouldn't be okay with going backwards. If there was no co-op, some form of theatre mode or forge, would you complain?. If they downgraded these things you come to expect because it was in the previous games.

Then again what am I saying? I'm probably trying to convince the same crowd who swear week in, week out that they're selling their Xbox one yet continue to hold on to a 465 dollar broken game ignoring the facade that is 343s supposed plan to bring halo back to the glory days.

• Upvote (+1) 2

GT: Numzi

Onyx 2, but should be higher (lagged in 3 of first 10 games)

KD is a 3 with 38 wins out of 41 games.

East Coast - MA

Add me if you call out and can hold your own. I just went 27-10 yesterday and lost.

Agreed.

My pet hamburger said that this game is shit, it must be true.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can fix the flaws in Sprint by creating a stun weapon or grenade so that the spartan cant use their abilities for 3-4 seconds. Call it a Spartan Drain or what have you. Just think about it. They cant Ground Pound,Sprint,Slide or use the Thruster. They would have to rely on classic arena play. It could also fit in the story campaign cause the Master Chief is iffy with the unsc in H5. Agent Locke  trying to track him down and the Chief might resist so a weapon like this could be the only thing to strip a spartan of its power advantage.

We need to stop only pushing the "wah he ran away" aspect, and we need to start attacking the other reasons sprint sucks; like spawn control/knowledge, map design, and game prediction. Running away is still a huge issue, but that's been beaten into the ground by now.

• Upvote (+1) 6

...I still do not understand how people say slide is useless-It is by far the most underrated ability. 

...I still do not understand how people say slide is useless-It is by far the most underrated ability. 

It gets me to the BR on Trench Breakout faster than everyone else.

Yeah, that's about it. I don't feel immersed by it as much as I feel like I'm a Spartan pretending to be Megaman. And Megaman is far superior.

• Upvote (+1) 1