CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I thought most people knew this, it was the same for the 1-50 ranking system, lose against lower levels and it was easier to go down.

Also doesn't explain why two people playing together for all 10 games are getting different ranks. In h3 I could start a new account with a friend and we'd level in the same game every single time. Therefore this ranking system is not purely win/loss like they said but at this point I'm not surprised at all.

Quinn replied to a tweet from Diesel about ranks, telling him there are some other factors influening the ranking that are "under the hood". He never explained what they were.

I played a casual lan at a friends house and we were all on giant plasmas. I went into the basement and found an old crtv for me and the only other guy that really played halo, I could not deal with the input lag.

Haha my casual friends all make fun of me for bringing my own TV and when i complain about their TV, they are like "Get the fuck outta here." I finally showed a few buddies, and they were perplexed at the difference.

3 of them bought the 1ms Asus monitors now;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure what I think about the Weapon Pad setup though, weird placements.

I would:

Spawn teams near the dynamic jump at each side of the courtyard.

Move Sniper (3 mins if it keeps the current ease of use) into Security.

Place a Camo (1 min) where Sniper was in Red.

Replace Sword with Overshield (1 min).

Place a Hydra (2 mins) at Turbine.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Am I the only one who thinks the Eden hate is too early after just three days? I feel like it's taken me until now to get a decent grip on how to play it. I'm definitely enjoying both week 2 maps more than the week 1 offerings.

Besides, it's nothing that some OS/Camo and a good objective gametype like KotH can't fix.

it's dark and there's too many tacky LoS blockers, but with better weapon placement and a brighter atmosphere, it could be decent. 

If it was a forge map, I wouldn't complain, because we'd make those tweaks very easily and test them. But I don't see 343 understanding or doing what's necessary to improve it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was watching NYSea play yesterday and he lost 79 points I think it was for losing a match in Breakout

He didn't actually lose 79 points. Its a UI bug. He only lost at most -19 points or w/e. The -75 or higher loss is when you go down a tier. It's just a silly bug. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played a casual lan at a friends house and we were all on giant plasmas. I went into the basement and found an old crtv for me and the only other guy that really played halo, I could not deal with the input lag.

What is a crtv? Google only guides me to a Cameroon television broadcasting company lol.

I dont split screen. But it was fine in Halo 3 because they couldnt play ranked.

As long as Halo 5 has a ranked and social division then it should be ok to.

Reach and 4 were social games because they had no ranking systems. Not sure ho H2A works because like I said I dont split screen but I can imagine they arent allowed in the ranked playlists or HCS. Or am I wrong?

If you go into social wanting a tough, even game then your doing it wrong.

If you really wish to know why I hold a grudge on online split screener, take this for example:

B6hyn0qIcAIvcOy.png

It's shit like this that I'm forced to deal with that annoys the living hell out of me. Why is it that I should have to play with split screeners that has a player I can't count on for jack squat, and when there's a split screener on the other team, the whole thing is ass backwards? Oh I can't forget to mention that they have a bigger advantage all because they are sharing the same screen over people calling out. Sorry, H3 is where they got it right. All the other titles after it became more and more bullshit.

I don't wanna jump on the bandwagon but this eden is the biggest pile or shit Ever!

• Upvote (+1) 5

What is a crtv? Google only guides me to a Cameroon television broadcasting company lol.

CRT TV. Missed a t in there by accident. It's those old box TV's everyone use to use.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The boobtube my man!

They have 0ms response time:)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was thinking

• .25- .5 second charge time to thrust
  • Being able to shoot and thrust at the same time.
  • Keep everything else the same.
i agree, thruster can be great with tweaks, but sprint is just beyond saving to me.

SPRINT NEEDS TO GO.

It doesn't do anything as an offensive ability and is only limited as a defensive ability if you use good positioning. Thrusters are far more important defensively. I almost never use it in the beta and even with the massive maps I don't find myself needing/wanting to sprint. Halo 5 is just a super slow paced game where the opponents dart around erratically, to no benefit.

Even the "get out of jail free card" aspect of sprint doesn't bother me. If someone sprints away, fine - let him. Chasing only puts me in harms way. But again, this slows down the pace of the game.

So sprint has to go. But why not suggest some changes instead?

There's a lot of people on this forum and others suggesting fixes, tweaks and nerfs for sprint. None of them work, especially if you're considering immersion.

In the very few instances I did use sprint I used it to get out of situations that I absolutely would have died in previous games. I wasn't proud of it, but what the hell. But in some of those circumstances I was shot and stopped sprinting. That's frustrating.

I know it's "more balanced" but nothing takes away the immersion like forced balancing mechanics. Some have suggested to Holmes that there be a cool down for sprint - he's right when he says that would be confusing. The shield mechanic is forced as well, it doesn't make sense and warps the Halo experience - shields should come back quickly. It also doesn't help solve the issue.

So sprint can't really be fixed - it needs to be removed entirely.

Or left in and improved. I'm not going to buy this game anyway so fuck it, go all out.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Quinn replied to a tweet from Diesel about ranks, telling him there are some other factors influening the ranking that are "under the hood". He never explained what they were.

Immersion

• Upvote (+1) 3

The boobtube my man!

The advantage a CRT TV has over a 1ms LCD display is negligible, and the aspect ratio and picture is way worse.

I'll stick with a 1ms 24" ASUS display, like I have.

SPRINT NEEDS TO GO.

It doesn't do anything as an offensive ability and is only limited as a defensive ability if you use good positioning. Thrusters are far more important defensively. I almost never use it in the beta and even with the massive maps I don't find myself needing/wanting to sprint. Halo 5 is just a super slow paced game where the opponents dart around erratically, to no benefit.

Even the "get out of jail free card" aspect of sprint doesn't bother me. If someone sprints away, fine - let him. Chasing only puts me in harms way. But again, this slows down the pace of the game.

So sprint has to go. But why not suggest some changes instead?

There's a lot of people on this forum and others suggesting fixes, tweaks and nerfs for sprint. None of them work, especially if you're considering immersion.

In the very few instances I did use sprint I used it to get out of situations that I absolutely would have died in previous games. I wasn't proud of it, but what the hell. But in some of those circumstances I was shot and stopped sprinting. That's frustrating.

I know it's "more balanced" but nothing takes away the immersion like forced balancing mechanics. Some have suggested to Holmes that there be a cool down for sprint - he's right when he says that would be confusing. The shield mechanic is forced as well, it doesn't make sense and warps the Halo experience - shields should come back quickly. It also doesn't help solve the issue.

So sprint can't really be fixed - it needs to be removed entirely.

Or left in and improved. I'm not going to buy this game anyway so fuck it, go all out.

Exactly my thoughts!

Too many ''fixes'' and ''possible solutions'' won't work at all..

Just remove it, but noooo we need to have ''immersion''.

The boobtube my man!

No thanks.

I'd rather have my 5ms LED monitor.

The fact that console games are now launching without split-screen astounds me.  That's like one of the main reasons to get a console over a PC to begin with

• Upvote (+1) 6

The advantage a CRT TV has over a 1ms LCD display is negligible, and the aspect ratio and picture is way worse.

I'll stick with a 1ms 24" ASUS display, like I have.

You and me both my man- Trying to spot the camo guy was next to impossible. 

I have the 1ms asus as well. <3

I know everyone won't have the same experience as me but I can deal with sprint over the thruster right now. If I was to record all my gameplay from the start of the beta showing how I correct a lot of the mistakes which I should die from then the overwhelming majority of the footage will feature me just using thruster or using thruster to then sprint. I have rarely ever just used sprint to get out of trouble and correct my mistakes.

- Thruster gives you the defensive capability to walk right onto a well placed grenade and get out of the radius in one touch of a button.

- Thruster give you the ability to immediately back out of a BR fight even if you are half shields and disappear behind cover with ease at medium to long range and with moderate success at close range

- Thruster gives you the ability to further enhance sprints usefulness as a defensive ability

How is Thruster any better than sprint in its current form? I can't just sprint away mid BR fight and I can't sprint away from a well placed grenade because sprint takes too long to activate. The only time sprint seems to be hugely successful as a defensive ability is after I have used my thruster.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whats really fucked up is I had more fun on this game when it was AR/pistol starts.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@JoshingtonState: @@SecretSchnitzel Without a window to react to the thrust, it becomes random. In current form, skilled player can react, track and kill.

Holmes said this when asked about shooting while thrustering.

I know everyone won't have the same experience as me but I can deal with sprint over the thruster right now. If I was to record all my gameplay from the start of the beta showing how I correct a lot of the mistakes which I should die from then the overwhelming majority of the footage will feature me just using thruster or using thruster to then sprint. I have rarely ever just used sprint to get out of trouble and correct my mistakes.

- Thruster gives you the defensive capability to walk right onto a well placed grenade and get out of the radius in one touch of a button.

- Thruster give you the ability to immediately back out of a BR fight even if you are half shields and disappear behind cover with ease at medium to long range and with moderate success at close range

- Thruster gives you the ability to further enhance sprints usefulness as a defensive ability

How is Thruster any better than sprint in its current form? I can't just sprint away mid BR fight and I can't sprint away from a well placed grenade because sprint takes too long to activate. The only time sprint seems to be hugely successful as a defensive ability is after I have used my thruster.

thruster needs tweaking, but can be really good, unlike sprint, which will always blow.

Amen brotha!