CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Lol I just noticed there are little bugs that run around on Regret. That's pretty cool.

That was the first thing I instantly noticed. I surely spent many minutes just watching these little guys crawling around.

I was honestly immersed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alrighty guys, the honeymoon phase is starting to wear off, however i think this game still has huge potential.

I truly believe i figured out the movement in h5.

The slide in h5 is SOOOO underrated- It is a players offensive movement, thrust is a defensive movement, and together they combo for a "double thrust."

Sprint --> Slide ---> Sprint --> Slide --> Sprint --> Slide--> thrust

(1)                           (1)                          (1)         (2)

The movement reminds me of gears of war- in the sense of the way players sprint --> roll --> sprint --> roll around the map. 

IMO sprint should only be used to set up a slide- never for sprinting away- Sprint would be more balanced if a player was knocked out of sprint along with no shield regeneration.

With a better understanding of the h5 movement system, i can deal with sprint if a players shields do not recharge and they are knocked out of sprint when shot. 

My biggest complaint right now is the thruster pack- it is far worse than sprint in the sense of "get out of jail free card." I honestly do not know how to balance it, but it needs to be addressed because it saves players from poor decisions WAYYY to often- especially at high level play. 

Everyone seems to be against starting with a BR. I don't get why.

Because H2 & H3 had sandboxes that were useless - casuals blame it on "powerful" BR instead of dual-wielding which fucked up everything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Went 11-4 with 2.8 KD in breakout, was last man and won the round at least 3 times, won the match overall, and only got +13 XP or whatever it is lol. I've gotten more for doing worse.

Also, that's pretty standard performance for me and yet I ranked Bronze III after my first 10 games, yet I did worse in my first 10 Slayer games and ranked Silver III (just a nut hair short of Gold).

The fuck?

Because H2 & H3 had sandboxes that were useless - casuals blame it on "powerful" BR instead of dual-wielding which fucked up everything.

That explains why they think starting with an AR is now better than it was before, but I still don't get what people have against starting with a BR in Halo 5. Is there a legitimate reason that it's bad? Or are people just enjoying the lower skill-gap of starting with ARs?

Went 11-4 with 2.8 KD in breakout, was last man and won the round at least 3 times, won the match overall, and only got +13 XP or whatever it is lol. I've gotten more for doing worse.

Also, that's pretty standard performance for me and yet I ranked Bronze III after my first 10 games, yet I did worse in my first 10 Slayer games and ranked Silver III (just a nut hair short of Gold).

The fuck?

I think i know whats up- I played as a to4 with my buddies last night who blow donkey dick- Bronze and Iron guys. I am onyx. They were bringing in such low levels that when we won, my rank went up a measly +5... We lost one game and my rank went down -30! 

We later than got matched up against a semi pro/ golds- we won one game and i went up +38, We lost one game and i only lost -15.

I think the major determinant as to where you are placed is against the players you play against. so a player with a 4.5 kd who won 7 out of 10 playing against bronze guys is not going to be place well. Maybe silver. On the other hand a guy who won 5 out of 10 with a 1.0 kd who played against gold/onyxs will be placed much higher. 

So in short, ranks are mostly influenced (positively or negatively) against who you play , not necessarily how you individually perform.

That was the first thing I instantly noticed. I surely spent many minutes just watching these little guys crawling around.

I was honestly immersed.

Did you try shooting them? I'm curious now lol.

Has anyone/can anyone do a frame test to get exact optimal kill times for the precision weapons? Obviously this is a little tricky with no custom games. Seeing a lot of comments elsewhere saying the kill times are too quick, I'd like to know exactly how they stack up. I'd do it myself but I don't have a 60fps capture card.

Did you try shooting them? I'm curious now lol.

Yes, but they are pretty fast and hard to track. I think I hit one and it spilled green blood, but didn't die. Maybe I was just hallucinating, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Has anyone/can anyone do a frame test to get exact optimal kill times for the precision weapons? Obviously this is a little tricky with no custom games. Seeing a lot of comments elsewhere saying the kill times are too quick, I'd like to know exactly how they stack up. I'd do it myself but I don't have a 60fps capture card.

Just find a clip of someone firing at max ROF. Count number of frames for 1 shot, multiply by # bullets for perfect kill, divide by FPS. I'm just using a chrome plugin "Frame Roll for Youtube", that only does 30 FPS, so slight margin of error. 

That explains why they think starting with an AR is now better than it was before, but I still don't get what people have against starting with a BR in Halo 5. Is there a legitimate reason that it's bad? Or are people just enjoying the lower skill-gap of starting with ARs?

The reactions probably wouldn't have been as strong against BRs, if it had been BR + AR, instead of BR + Pistol. Also, at this point, a lot of casuals automatically hate BR.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Played 10 games of breakout with a friend and he got placed in onyx, me gold, same wins obviously from playing all 10 together. Then i played 10 with another friend who was unranked, he went to onyx as well whilst I'm still gold? This ranking system needs explaining.

The reactions probably wouldn't have been as strong against BRs, if it had been BR + AR, instead of BR + Pistol. Also, at this point, a lot of casuals automatically hate BR.

Yeah man this would have been much better for the casuals.

I firmly believe the casuals hate BR starts because they suck with them- and it not because they cant aim- it's because of there TVs having a response time greater than 2ms. 

Playing halo on a tv with anything greater than a 2ms reposnse time is garbage, specifically with precision weapons. The worse part is that the Casuals are not even aware of the issue. I wanna play on my 60 inch HD TV mannn!

So in short, ranks are mostly influenced (positively or negatively) against who you play , not necessarily how you individually perform.

I thought most people knew this, it was the same for the 1-50 ranking system, lose against lower levels and it was easier to go down.

Also doesn't explain why two people playing together for all 10 games are getting different ranks. In h3 I could start a new account with a friend and we'd level in the same game every single time. Therefore this ranking system is not purely win/loss like they said but at this point I'm not surprised at all.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/ar-vs-br-starts-they-re-both-right/79295539-feb3-4c39-b13b-77389784173a/posts

Essentially he legit believes that it's a power weapon, and that not having it on spawn "benefits map control and movement".

• Upvote (+1) 2

But I like starting with the Magnum. It keeps my Magnum ToD up.

e8ddc7c3513edb03d167dd760fe74261.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

But I like starting with the Magnum. It keeps my Magnum ToD up.

e8ddc7c3513edb03d167dd760fe74261.png

I feel ya... but Magnum still needs a buff, especially when combined with AR.

Oh boy do I pray that they keep BR gametype = BR + Pistol spawn. tbh I don't even see why we still fight over this (we being the Halo community in general). Obviously there are plenty people who prefer either way so let's keep it the same way we have always kept it: Have TS include Team Slayer and Team Slayer BRs. The only thing that should be changed from previous games is that objective and BTB should be 100% BR start.

343 could just buff pistol damage + zoom range and have us spawn with pistol only, though.

Kinda related to this: Am I the only one who misses Human Slayer, Rifle Slayer etc. from h2?

Somehow Eden is worst than every Halo 4 map.

Yeah, it is an absolutely awful map. Empire with rockets inside would probably play a lot better and Eden shouldn't even make it into the full game.

After getting placed in silber II it took me 76 games to get into onyx I. I think that the ranking system is pretty good but 10 matches are not enough to place someone correctly. And no one should be placed into semi pro or pro after 10 games.

Oh boy do I pray that they keep BR gametype = BR + Pistol spawn. tbh I don't even see why we still fight over this (we being the Halo community in general). Obviously there are plenty people who prefer either way so let's keep it the same way we have always kept it: Have TS include Team Slayer and Team Slayer BRs. The only thing that should be changed from previous games is that objective and BTB should be 100% BR start.

343 could just buff pistol damage + zoom range and have us spawn with pistol only, though.

Kinda related to this: Am I the only one who misses Human Slayer, Rifle Slayer etc. from h2?

Nah, CE system was the best. AR + Pistol is goat, when balanced properly. Pistol is already more skillful than BR in this game, with a buff (and AR nerf) it'd be perfect. Honestly, it surprises me that the competitive community has such a hard-on for the BR - almost as strong as the casuals' hate of the BR 

• Upvote (+1) 3