CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah it was. CS was a game for players to escape from the large skill gap in Quake 3 and UT. I've said it before and I'll say it again, CS is competitively popular for its support, not its gameplay.

For skill gap, Quake sure. UT is a stretch.

CS has regained popularity for its ongoing recent support but how do you explain the 11 or so years before the developer became actively involved in the esports side of things? Did a fully fledged scene just spontaneously appear?

http://www.esports.gg/looking-at-the-top-e-sports-by-category/

Playing Breakout and spectating a last man standing game at Round 10 and having my guy Ground Pound for the win was absolutely nuts. I want more games like those.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

welp, i gave it a chance and put in my time but i've seen enough. the game's meta is already exhausted and i don't see any incentive to play shit maps with meaningless ranks. it's just boring as fuck. i'd rather play default Reach. 

potential doesn't sell games. halo 5 needs overhauls if it's going to be anything worth playing a month after release. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Overall, there is one thing that stood out to me from playing H5G: it feels literally nothing like Halo. Even Reach and H4 maintained the halo core on some level. They were extremely bad, but they were Halo games. H5G might end up being better than Reach/H4, but it's a totally different game. It's not Halo at all.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this one. How does Halo 4 feel more "Halo" than Halo 5? It was worse in literally every regard except for clamber. I don't like Halo 5 from what I've played, but it needs by far less tweaks than Halo 4 to be a good Halo game.

Yes lol, GG man!

Actually my first time playing Regret, took only 2 days.

<3

Regret is actually pretty fun, it's growing on me the more I play it.

Having thought about it a bit more I realised that the main reason so many can successfully retreat from battles using sprint and thruster is because the chaser has to completely stop in his tracks in order to finish off the runner, this turns the encounter into a fruitless wild goose chase around the map. This is why I believe they should allow you to shoot while sprinting in H5. I believe this fixes one of sprints many issues anyway. What do you guys think?

If you were to do that, you might as well just up the base movement speed. Maps would still be a major issue as well.

Sprint needs to go. That being said I am enjoying the game immensely. I finally feel like skill matters again, and that kids don't get gift wrapped power weapons, or the ability to jetpack in the air and create an advantage. Autos need to be toned down a bit, not too much because I don't want them to be worthless, but headshot bonus needs to go. Maps are iffy, Regret IMO is a better map than Truth because top mid is a viable position and the gameplay doesn't feel like as much of a run around the ring like Truth does. Eden is pretty bad, its too dark and gives a huge advantage to blue team right off the bat. I like Empire, the map plays much better if you take advantage of the new movement options. Truth is big if you are comparing it to Midship, but in this game with sprint the size is fine and doesn't feel like a chore to get around like most maps in H4 did.

The ranking system is awesome, and although it has a few kinks it is going to be an awesome grind and challenge to reach semi-pro/pro in each playlist. 

Breakout is actually decent. It needs an objective that can win you a round without slaying, because that will keep people from getting into stalemates. The added damage works and allows players to be punished for making a bad play and all the weapons seem viable.

I'll add more as I play more.

EDIT: Also, really hope the division emblems are placeholder because they suck to put it nicely.

343 talks about a competitve "Arena Shooter" but bring Maps like Eden in it.

Wow much sense such logic

I like how you completely throw all other 5 maps out of the picture

I like how you completely throw all other 5 maps out of the picture

Didnt want to mention what already a lot of people said about the other Maps. All are to big sized cause of Sprint, have to many corners to thrust around and sprint away, were build higher to clamber around an getting away, no sense of pushing on any map etc.

I mean the middle of Empire and Eden is justdanirrelevant. Also on Truth the place under the sword is rarely used cause u run in circles and watch for enemies.

About the breakout maps i dont care.

I have a question for those of you who really aren't feeling Halo 5.

What would be the 3 most important changes 343 could make from our feedback that would take Halo 5 into good-Halo-game territory - the 3 things that simply can't go ignored.

I ask because I fear 343 will take the easy route and listen to the minor changes we all agree on, mistakenly thinking that 5 minor changes is as good as 1 significant change. Let's let them know which changes are not optional for us when it comes to Halo 5 being something we'll buy and play for a long time. And be honest with your answers; don't limit it to things you think are realistic. Say what you really want.

@Sal1ent
@@Deez

Competitive Halo is going to die the way it's going. I really think all 343i cares about now is what they like, and how much money they will get out of it. They really aren't going to listen to us.

accidental neg, meant to rep

But I don't even have the desire to play this game anymore it's shallow as hell.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343, you guys gotta change up the weapons on your maps. Only one weapon on Truth? The map would benefit from like a Camo bottom mid to promote map play, because all people do is sit in Pink. I don't care if it's not "Classic Midship", it would improve the map greatly. Same with Empire/Eden/Regret. Mix it up with the OS also.

If you bring back Plasma Weapons BTW, take cues from CE and make them have a stun affect when an opponent is shot. This means that they can barely turn and move around if constantly hit. This made the Plasma Rifle in CE hugely effective, and it was sad to see this effect go away in later games. Please bring it back, and apply it to all Plasma related weapons. Yes, even the Carbine. Would help it be separated from the other rifles.

Also, make sure the Camo actually makes you invisible, and make the OS 3 layers and a good invincibility period like in Halo CE/2. None of this 2 layer Halo 3 crap. Since you guys are taking nods at CE, if you brought back Quick Camo, that would be appreciated by everyone.

Thruster also needs an insane nerf to it's cooldown and distance travelled. Maybe make it so you can only use it if you have shields?

Also, Sprint needs to be removed. It hinders map movement so badly, makes things so random. If it has to stay, it needs more nerfs. You should be put out of Sprint instantly as soon as you are shot. Would make things a lot easier to handle. Thanks again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a question for those of you who really aren't feeling Halo 5.

What would be the 3 most important changes 343 could make from our feedback that would take Halo 5 into good-Halo-game territory - the 3 things that simply can't go ignored.

I ask because I fear 343 will take the easy route and listen to the minor changes we all agree on, mistakenly thinking that 5 minor changes is as good as 1 significant change. Let's let them know which changes are not optional for us when it comes to Halo 5 being something we'll buy and play for a long time. And be honest with your answers; don't limit it to things you think are realistic. Say what you really want.

1. Take Sprint out

2. Make ADS purely cosmetical or (better) just replace it with the traditional zoom

3. Clamber should at least take some skill to pull off

Nerf Thruster somehow

I've read quite a few times now that you guys are pushing for an objective in Breakout. How exactly is this supposed to work?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint

Ads

• Upvote (+1) 1

Having thought about it a bit more I realised that the main reason so many can successfully retreat from battles using sprint and thruster is because the chaser has to completely stop in his tracks in order to finish off the runner, this turns the encounter into a fruitless wild goose chase around the map. This is why I believe they should allow you to shoot while sprinting in H5. I believe this fixes one of sprints many issues anyway. What do you guys think?

That's exactly right. Forced weapon lowering means the chasing player has to slow down just to get shots on the fleeing player, which means the fleeing player gets away even easier than if sprint wasn't there. Thruster's impact on getting away is slightly different in that it acts as a really big strafe at the push of a button, which makes getting away easier, but it doesn't work as a disadvantage for the chasing player in the way sprint does.

With sprint, if they aren't going allow shooting while sprinting, then the best option would probably be to decrease sprint speed and increase base speed so that sprint is just barely faster. And with thruster, I'd say the best option is to lengthen the cool-down time to about 8 seconds, and to make the thrusting distance very short.

If you get shot while Sprinting, you should be backed out of it immediately. Problem solved.

One of the thousand problems sprint causes.

As in get rid of them or fix them in a certain way? I'd like to see both gone ideally.

Remove both

Those two mechanics will cause h5 to have h4 level population

• Upvote (+1) 7

accidental neg, meant to rep

But I don't even have the desire to play this game anymore it's shallow as hell.

yea i don't see this game evolving at all. it doesn't help that powerups and half of the sandbox is absent, and there are no objective games in sight. 

One of the thousand problems sprint causes.

Nah it solves most of the problems. Map Scaling is the only big one left (that I can think of right now). So they can just bump movement speed anyways even if Sprint is in the game. Would still prefer for it to be removed though.

Man this rank system..... I know it's the beta and all... but I feel as tho it's a free for all with who you match up with/against. 

I'm currently an onyx in slayer, got matched against 3 pro's and a semi, lost by 8 kills and I lost like 12 XP... now that seems like one hell of a lot of XP to lose with the uneven teams we had.

Also, you shouldn't be able to see your opponents ranks before the game or even stats IMO. 

Pro's should match other pro's + Semis

Semi's should match Pro's + Semi's + Onyx

Onyx should match Semi's + Onyx + Gold

Ect...

Or does it not work as simple as that?

I can't stress how broken it is