CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well you have to remember that he was the same guy who gave Halo 4 a 9.8/10

he probably wasn't even paid, a rarity for ign.

Yeah I'm not having a good time with it.

playing on two maps gets boring pretty quickly, especially when one is a total piece of shit.

The sad thing is, the 9.8 was probably the least offensive part of that review. The main text was downright embarrassing to the point of giving me cold sweats. "Halo 4 is better than you, I, or anyone else thought possible!!!1"

I'll probably post again after the beta to see if my opinions changed but there are some things that are really bugging me right now.

Weapon Animations: My lord is it slow. The sniper is awful to use because of this. Get a body shot. Switch weapon and try and take 5 seconds to scope in. Watch the guy sprint away. Reload and try and scope in. Watch the guy sprint away. Everything that you do in this game is too slow and sluggish. Up the speed in which you do things. 

Switch the kill feed and Map locations. Personally I find that the kill feed is more important to see than callouts since it won't take long for everyone to learn the maps.

Spartan chatter is kinda annoying. I don't hate it but I don't like it. It's just... annoying. The same thing goes with power weapon callouts. I have no problem with the kill feed telling you when power weapons come up or something similar but it is annoying hearing that a weapon is coming up soon so many times in different ways. 10 seconds is good for the indicator to tell you that something big is coming up if no one was paying attention before.

Medal spam: Headshot, assist, and common weapon kills should be gone. Sprees/specific weapon kills, multikills and uncommon/ "hard" kills (beatdowns, snipes, etc.) are the only things that should be shown really. Splash weapon kills aren't interesting to look at or satisfying to get IMHO.

Sprint: Broken record but it should go. And with how much shit is on the maps it is way too easy to get away. Regret, Empire and Eden are all culprits of this. SO much cover to hide behind and get away because of it. Might as well not even try to put shots on anyone on any of these maps because they will run away to cover then thruster and clamber away to where you won't be able to see them. Truth is the only map that is not that easy to get away on. But don't worry. Just sprint top mid and hide behind the covers until your team pushes up. If sprint is going to be in the game, there needs to be less blocking of lines of sight.

Maps:

Truth: don't really have a problem with it. It plays more or less like a Midship remake to me. I'm sure lighting will be fixed though but that is really the only issue I have with the map and lack of having a useful primary on start.

Empire: I enjoy playing on Empire but because of the amount of things blocking your sight and coupled with the fact that using a sniper rifle is pretty much useless, people can do parkour around the map and not get hit. Weapon placement could be a little better. Since it is symmetrical maybe put the snipers in red and blue bases and have a rocket or something bottom mid or at turbine. How it's set up right now is not very good. Have the weapon placements the same on the side and then try to gain or regain control of the big tower or outside. Have a reason to leave the power positions. Personally I think it's a pretty solid map.

Eden: Now it's obvious that something is different with Empire but I cannot put what is different about the map besides the two catwalks. Anyway. It is not a good map. The catwalks make no sense whatsoever. There are less pillars and objects blocking your view but still enough to make running away viable. Run to the top catwalk then hide in the big room with all the cover in the world. What is good is that you will have to leave that room to grab sword or sniper. I think there should be some sort of compromise with Empire and Eden and it could be good. I don't really like the map as is. 

Regret: It seems like something that a forger could come up with and I don't mean that as an insult. I guess it's just that i've seen so many renditions of Midship. Design wise it is pretty cool. It's awful for slayer. I think it could play CTF ok. But there is so much shit that's on the map that makes it really easy to get away. I really don't understand how anyone likes this map. Cover on cover on cover. Getting out of the base is an obstacle to do and it's pretty annoying to navigate it.  Hide in the base. Get shot at. Thruster out of a window. Sprint to one of the many tunnels or ditches and hide until shot at again. Repeat.

Cover is not bad but it is pretty excessive on Regret coupled with sprint and thruster and playing Midship upside down is just bad. 

The hydra isn't really anything special. You can probably get one kill with it or make someone weak with it, but don't bother switching weapons because you're probably going to die attempting to clean up a kill because of how slow it is to switch weapons. 

Also the base speed needs to be increased. And sprint needs to go. But we all know that.

Smart scope: Classic zoom should be used on all precision weapons and the DMR needs a serious redesign. It is the only UNSC precision weapon that doesn't tell you how many shots you have left (this is me just nitpicking). And the scope is the worst of the precision weapons. I believe that smart scoping is the reason why it is so slow to shoot at things. Change it back and we all win.

I don't think that that sniper rifle will be used. It looks bad. But if Halo 5 and MCC started development around the same time, then I can see why there are some resources used from Halo 4. The earlier builds of H2A used the Halo 4 sniper so It'll probably be changed.

ADS makes long range battles non-existent. It's only meant for quick kill times and stick and move shooters like most military games.

Yeah it was. CS was a game for players to escape from the large skill gap in Quake 3 and UT. I've said it before and I'll say it again, CS is competitively popular for its support, not its gameplay.

Cannot really compare both 

though I'd say CS is harder than Halo 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand how a pro, a semi-pro, a handful of onyxes and a BRONZE of all ranks could possibly get put into the same game.

Going into the second week of the Beta, I feel no real desire to play this game again. Even though this game feels like it's trying to be faster than previous Halo's, playing a single competitive game of Pit on Halo 3 feels a thousand times more action packed and fast paced than any game of Halo 5 I've played since the beta was released. 

I don't want to even imagine how objective is going to play on these maps with these current settings. I've seen the markers in the bases on Empire where the flags would traditionally go, and since they plan to introduce team objective into rotation some time in the near future, I dread to think how Empire plays with OBJ on the map. 

Oh lord. It really makes sense why 343i struggles to give us nice things. 

i've seen this everywhere. here's some AR starts logic:

-i have to pick up a BR, which gives me an edge over AR users instead of just handing everyone a BR

-i have a chance to beat somebody better than me because they have to use an AR

-i'm not constantly getting shot across the map

-there's more variety because i get to use other weapons, whereas with BRs i don't pick up anything other than power weapons

-i'm not good with the BR so i'd rather not be forced to use it

To some extent, they're all valid points. However, these players unfortunately don't realize why AR starts (with an inferior pistol) handicap players and slow the game down. 

If the pistol was a really good 3sk-4sk with accurate zoom, I honestly wouldn't care. Halo with pistols is my favorite. 

That's not what's happening though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

ARs Pinnacle on Reach is brutal for noobs. Hilarious that they sign their own death wish by voting for it and nek minnut lose the game 50-6.

-i have to pick up a BR, which gives me an edge over AR users instead of just handing everyone a BR

-i have a chance to beat somebody better than me because they have to use an AR

-i'm not constantly getting shot across the map

-there's more variety because i get to use other weapons, whereas with BRs i don't pick up anything other than power weapons

-i'm not good with the BR so i'd rather not be forced to use it

To some extent, they're all valid points. However, these players unfortunately don't realize why AR starts (with an inferior pistol) handicap players and slow the game down. 

If the pistol was a really good 3sk-4sk with accurate zoom, I honestly wouldn't care. Halo with pistols is my favorite. 

That's not what's happening though. 

You forgot one of the most common ones that gives me plenty of laughs.

"Ars Promote good map control while BRs has no map control!*

playing on two maps gets boring pretty quickly, especially when one is a total piece of shit.

Only one of them is a piece of shit?

• Upvote (+1) 1

unrelated to post

House Martell represent!

I'm torn between thinking these maps are overly clustered and messy and thinking that I just don't understand them yet.

I don't mind fast kill times but can the fast kill times actually take skill? Getting killed by a twitchy 12 year old kid with an AR/SMG is not fun. The latency and the 'who sees who first wins' gameplay sometimes has me desperate to go back to 360 Halo.

I don't know, but I think the AR and Magnum are well balanced against each other.  In the first week, I felt that if my shot was on point and I thrusted at the right moment, I could always beat an AR kid with the magnum.  But if I messed I would lose.  More skilled required on my end in having to accurately aim my shots to their hold down trigger, but I think that's how it should be.

-i have a chance to beat somebody better than me because they have to use an AR so lowering the skill gap?

-i'm not constantly getting shot across the map But that means you can't shoot people across the map

-there's more variety because i get to use other weapons, whereas with BRs i don't pick up anything other than power weapons Sounds like the rest of the weapons need to be better balanced

-i'm not good with the BR so i'd rather not be forced to use it lol,

Which is not true in the H5 Beta, the DMR, the smg and especially the light rifle are a worthy pick up with BR starts.

Can't wait to see them wreck some shit next season 

I'm a bookie, so I can't watch the next season.

Jaime in Dorne? I mean okay, my favorite PoV in my favorite place, great.  But wtf? why in 7 hells is Jaime in Dorne.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm a bookie, so I can't watch the next season.

Jaime in Dorne? I mean okay, my favorite PoV in my favorite place, great.  But wtf? why in 7 hells is Jaime in Dorne.

I follow the series exclusively on TV and I'm sure plenty of the guys in these forum are so......

and It's best to talk about this stuff on the Off topic forum though it's neat to see another House Martell fan around here.

Since we very well may get confirmation that sprint will never get removed, we should talk about ways to nerf sprint even more.  Have we talked about perhaps encouraging 343 to to implement stopping power?  Meaning getting shot while sprinting will slow you down, perhaps to a speed even slower than normal walk speed

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since we very well may get confirmation that sprint will never get removed, we should talk about ways to nerf sprint even more.  Have we talked about perhaps encouraging 343 to to implement stopping power?  Meaning getting shot while sprinting will slow you down, perhaps to a speed even slower than normal walk speed

I've always said a turbo button would be the best compromise, it's modern enough because it's technically sprinting, but it's just regular movement made faster at the press if a button, you can move at all directions faster and you can still shoot. Way better than sprint IMO, and probably the best we can get unless 343 wishes up about sprint.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I've always said a turbo button would be the best compromise, it's modern enough because it's technically sprinting, but it's just regular movement made faster at the press if a button, you can move at all directions faster and you can still shoot. Way better than sprint IMO, and probably the best we can get unless 343 wises up about sprint.

343 are ignoring sprint feedback because literally the entire game is made with sprint in mind as well as the other abilities. The game is a year off and it is still TOO FAR into development to change the game. 

From the way I see it. The only way this game will be salvageable is if modders can toggle the game breaking features. Fix ADS which is highly unlikely and then have a team of highly talented forgers to create maps catered to classic Halo.