CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Is it that hard to make it where you cant thrust/Sprint/Clamber away when you are being shot at?

Although, this is 343 we are talking about - so I guess everything is too hard.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The same here.

I don't mind groundpound and slide, though (cuz no one every uses it).

I use groundpound a lot, by mistake though when pressing the left stick.

It's like we might as well not have a public Beta at all.

All this lip is making my eyes bleed.

I was about to try and come up with some cute little parody of 343i going on about having a year-early beta for "real game-changing feedback" and giving somebody shit when they actually give feedback. Truth is Josh really did a better job than I could have.

By the way, the answer is "no one". If a couple of guys are searching on their 50s in a playlist that's dead when you're up that high, who do you match them with? Some poor little Captain Grade 3 and his friend? And then, who's on their team? Johnny Master Sargent?

But I guess "you never know who you'll get".

I don't like hating on the guy but it really can be hard to resist sometimes.

But, it'd definitely be something I'd be willing to give a try. Descope is all good and well (it really is. even a progressive like me was scratching my head at H4 flinch) but after having seen all the posts lately about how it's bad for Halo to slow down the pace with all these new mechanics...

Hasn't descope kind of always done that? It has historically made ranged encounters more about suppression and potshots rather than making a quick and clean kill. At least, it's done that in 'Team BR Halo', considering H2-Reach's utility weapons. (Sure, ZB DMR is nice but kill times were still bunghole which meant a fight could be backed out of and the game of suppression coninues) In CE it wasn't quite like because of the pistol's accuracy being very precise in scope and out of scope. Scope was, literally a magnifier, not inherently an accuracy increaser.

If the community wants a fast paced Halo with a quick TTK, it just seems like an unhindered smartlink/scope mechanic would be intuitive to that cause, instead of fighting with your opponent for the ability to be accurate, when you could just be skillfully fighting your opponent with accuracy already there? Hence the skillful part.

Though fortunately, H5 looks to have very little spread with the BR, DMR, and pistol. So maybe it can be more like CE in the regard that you can be accurate without scoping, rather than you're literally fighting for the ability to be accurate.

I see what you're saying, but I'd say any slowing down of gameplay that descope might do is so small in comparison to the benefits it brings. Whereas new mechanics that slow down the game, such as sprint, do so to a much larger degree and don't necessarily bring significant benefits.

It's in the same way that not having instant kill times slows the game down a little, but it's not to the detriment of gameplay because it doesn't act as an unnecessary pause button like sprint and other features can do. And the longer kill times add something significant to Halo.

As for the fighting for accuracy part (tighter spread), that's not an inherent trait of descope, so I'd say it would be better to keep descope but get rid of the spread advantage that comes with being scoped.

Another positive with descope is the way it allows players the opportunity to make pushes in the open without being helpless. For example when you're trying to get somewhere, but a sniper is holding down the map. Descope provides opportunity in those situations, so I really think nothing will do a better job than descope for Halo.

You know they could allow toggles on every feature. They could toggle sprint, clamber, thrusters, ADS, etc. This would allow customs to really shine with some clean mechanics while 343 can do as they want with the playlists.

But 343 wont provide any toggles and there will never be a valid reason why toggles will not be provided.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It is not that I especially thought it'd be an improvement, I just wanted some opinions on the subject matter.

But, it'd definitely be something I'd be willing to give a try. Descope is all good and well (it really is. even a progressive like me was scratching my head at H4 flinch) but after having seen all the posts lately about how it's bad for Halo to slow down the pace with all these new mechanics...

Hasn't descope kind of always done that? It has historically made ranged encounters more about suppression and potshots rather than making a quick and clean kill. At least, it's done that in 'Team BR Halo', considering H2-Reach's utility weapons. (Sure, ZB DMR is nice but kill times were still bunghole which meant a fight could be backed out of and the game of suppression coninues) In CE it wasn't quite like because of the pistol's accuracy being very precise in scope and out of scope. Scope was, literally a magnifier, not inherently an accuracy increaser.

If the community wants a fast paced Halo with a quick TTK, it just seems like an unhindered smartlink/scope mechanic would be intuitive to that cause, instead of fighting with your opponent for the ability to be accurate, when you could just be skillfully fighting your opponent with accuracy already there? Hence the skillful part.

Though fortunately, H5 looks to have very little spread with the BR, DMR, and pistol. So maybe it can be more like CE in the regard that you can be accurate without scoping, rather than you're literally fighting for the ability to be accurate. H4 was the worst because your reticle itself was being misdirected while under fire rather than the magnification was being lost. You were fighting for accuracy twice as hard basically.

And of course, some things would need to still have descope, like sniper. Stabilizer perk with sniper in H4 made me so mad.

Very good post, interesting perspective.

Challenge someone

Start losing

Thruster around a corner to escape

Challenge again

Start losing

Thruster around a corner to escape

Yes, sometimes this happens but this only tends to happen in my experiences with longer ranger battles. And in older games, you would begin to take damage and then hide to regain shields. In my experiences, people usually try and fight back and if they know they won't win, they'll thruster away. Sure it can be frustrating sometimes, but it's not like Sprint game breaking.

Close ranged battles thruster never really saves anyone that uses it around a corner bc you can just thruster around the corner to finish them off.

If they just made the base movement faster and made the maps smaller to accommodate,this game could be really good.

I'm also 24 now and not looking for this uber ultra competitive game anymore. Especially since I know Halo will never be that game.

You know they could allow toggles on every feature. They could toggle sprint, clamber, thrusters, ADS, etc. This would allow customs to really shine with some clean mechanics and they can do as they want with the playlists.

But they wont and there is no valid reason either.

there is a valid reason for it, they maps wouldn't work without those features

there is a valid reason for it, they maps wouldn't work without those features

That isn't a valid reason for customs. Customs can come up with their own maps. (also they can change base speed and jump heights as well.)

I specifically stated that the toggles would be used in customs and that the playlists would be in the full control of 343 and they could maintain those features as they wish for the playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I won a game where I went 8-15. Went from Onyx I to Onyx II thanks to my teammates. It isn't fair for my team if I went all apeshit and have the same amount of score. I should get less while my teammates get more.

IMO, it should be like that. If I lose, and get the MVP of the entire match, I shouldn't be punished as bad as my teammates when they go -20.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You know they could allow toggles on every feature. They could toggle sprint, clamber, thrusters, ADS, etc. This would allow customs to really shine with some clean mechanics while 343 can do as they want with the playlists.

But 343 wont provide any toggles and there will never be a valid reason why toggles will not be provided.

Also if they let us run customs on dedicated severs that would be nice.

I feel like I can't aim in this game. Like my horizontal aim is slower then my vertical aim.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I rarely loose straight up fights in other halos. 

When it comes to sprint and thruster, its gotta be one or the other. Having both together makes it way too easy to run away, no matter how much they nerf either.

A grenade pushed me off the map on Eden, used thruster pack to come back closer to the map, used Ground Pound to stop falling, used clamber to climb on the ledge of the map. :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 7

That isn't a valid reason for customs. Customs can come up with their own maps. (also they can change base speed and jump heights as well.)

I specifically stated that the toggles would be used in customs and that the playlists would be in the full control of 343 and they could maintain those features as they wish for the playlists.

As much as I'd like a sprint toggle, just imagine the settings debate.

All this talk of settings and Sprint talk and the most alarming issues not talked about. The fact that 343 has released a game and a beta within the last two months and I still do not get matches quickly, can't play with friends (biggest issue),and constantly have to quit the app itself makes everything else secondary.

Yeah, current ranking system needs work. #BringMenkeBack

Menke used sprint to immerse himself in a better company.

• Upvote (+1) 7

All this talk of settings and Sprint talk and the most alarming issues not talked about. The fact that 343 has released a game and a beta within the last two months and I still do not get matches quickly, can't play with friends (biggest issue),and constantly have to quit the app itself makes everything else secondary.

Yea, something is clearly wrong with how they are handling networking with these two releases. 

Yea, something is clearly wrong with how they are handling networking with these two releases. 

I'm convinced that 343i's developers don't actually know how to develop the matchmaking system. They lack the programming skill required to carry out the task.

I'd bet that what (little) worked in H4 was stolen from Reach.