CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I love how not getting the placing you think you deserve means the ranking system is completely broken

• Downvote (-1) 6

Finally got around to playing the beta yesterday (super busy holiday/travel season) and here are my thoughts.

1. Sprint - Why is this in there? It really doesn't add anything to the gameplay. In fact I only used it maybe 3 times total in my first 10 games. Yes I felt the base speed was slow but I DIDN'T FIND MYSELF WANTING/NEEDING TO SPRINT ANYWHERE. A few people sprinted away from me and I just let them. I've seen too many clips of dumb chases to engage in that. End result is going very positive in all but one of my games, usually top slayer. I don't see sprint adding anything to Halo at all.

2. Ground Pound - Tried it once. No desire to use this feature. It feels UNEMPOWERING, I can get a kill much quicker by shooting, or nading or even jumping down for a classic melee. Another feature that adds nothing to Halo.

3. Charge - Never felt it was worth doing, not one attempt. Had it done only once to me, guy ran right at me like an idiot - I BRed him and he charged me to strip my shields. Then I backed up and headshotted him. His teammate cleaned me up. Seems to add nothing to the game... confused as to who thinks this is a FUN mechanic.

4. Slide - HUH? Is this Gears? When did Halo become a cover-based shooter. I'm lost. Any Halo player will never have the instinct to use this. Adds nothing to the game.

5. Hover - Died really early on activating this by accident/automatically. Turned it off and never looked back. More of a detriment than an ability. Still activated it once accidentally when it was off - couldn't understand why I was frozen and was killed instantly in a shootout I was winning.

6. Smart Scope - I found myself using unscoped BR far more than I would have in previous Halo games, just to avoid what the scope animation does to the screen. I WANT TO SEE EVERYTHING! I tried to use the Smart-Scope on the automatics but it's REALLY UNNATURAL. I kept hitting left trigger to scope the AR... which is weird because I never play CoD and was using Bumper Jumper. So I threw a grenade at really dumb times. I don't think Smart-Scope works well with the "classic" Halo control schemes. In addition to that it made the Sniper seem useless. I picked it up a few times on Eden but felt slow every time I tried to use it, just started pitching it after wasting a few shots, felt safer with a BR.

7. Thrust - Again, never felt a great desire to use this. I might use it 3 or 4 times per game to dodge. Not a terrible thing, but certainly not game-changing the way it's implemented. Just kinda, meh.

8. Clamber - Used this constantly... because the maps force you too. Would be much happier with Crouch-Jump. In fact I didn't start using BJ until MCC but replaying H2 with that scheme makes crouch jumping super fantastic, I feel awesome and can get just about anywhere. Compare that to H5 clamber - MAKES ME FEEL LIKE KIND OF A DICK, every jump in the game is super easy. So much for immersion, huh?

So I guess my problem is that I don't play this game the way 343i wants me to. For me it seems more natural to play it like it's Halo. Which works fairly well - ended up winning 7/10 placement with a great K/D (only lost 3 because of teammates going 0.1 K/D - umm, skilled MM anyone?).

But the issue with playing it like it's Halo is that it is by far the SLOWEST game in the series. Nothing feels rushed at all if you aren't sprinting/thrusting/bouncing all over the place. THE SPEED IS AN ILLUSION. If all the other players do that it still doesn't make it seem fast to me because I'm leisurely moving around killing people easily. Never really played CE but did that last month in MCC - there's a fast fucking game for you.

And I think it might be the EASIEST Halo as well. Either that or I just became much more skilled over Christmas by not playing any Halo? I never felt "challenged" in any encounter, never felt a threat from any other players. This game didn't manage to get my heart pumping or my hands shaking like the others could, even in my few close games. Then thinking about it afterwards I realized that those physiological responses to a video game are what happens when you're having fun. So something about H5 is off, I won't try to say what it is, but what ever it is... it makes the game NOT FUN.

(more to say at a later time - this post was getting kind of long)

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think Warzone and Execution were the same thing only you needed to be up close to get a kill in Execution (hence the Execution name type), and in Warzone once you down someone you can Lancer them off from a distance.  

yea I know. I was just talking abou the spawning aspect of the gametypes.

Both of these maps stink. Eden is better, but looks like a CoD map, and there's no flow to.

Regret is another over-stylized mess. I don't know why they cant just keep their designs simple, ala Haven.

The Hydra is trash. I'd rather the old rockets

Direct hit doesn't kill. So bad

So my friend who stopped playing Halo months after Reach (proving that he's the smarter one) played Halo 5 today gave me his opinion. "So they added unlimited sprint and now they're pushing for a gametype with no shields and one-hit melee? I hope you don't have hope for this series. Lets play MCC"

• Upvote (+1) 9

Hey guys. I was thinking about something, and I've never really heard it brought up much in the past and I wonder what your thoughts are. 

Would it be a good idea or a bad idea...if descope just wasn't a thing, and flinch wasn't a thing either? What if all weapons were balanced for their respective ranges with the fact that one could keep smart-linked under fire?

Is there anything inherently un-Halo about that idea?

Right so I hate to be that guy but downvoting this quoted genuine question is going above and beyond being a frustrated fan. It's being a toxic little ass. Let's not do this.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Some things From the last few pages.

To those Complaining about the sword scope, all i have to say is.

How the hell are we supposed to get 1337 360 noscopes with it anyway else? Can't say that if theres not a scope on it to begin with, But with a scope you can, Stop thinking about Gameplay all the time and think about Immersion for once!

For those whose saying the ranking system is fine.

It shouldn't place people who play all 10 games together in a wildly different rankings, independent on kda.  Then there's the inconsistent -points and +points  for winning and losing after you are ranked. Seeming independent of what the enemies rank is.

For the trueskill system, can't really tell, it might just take a bit of games since the ranking system is so bonked atm putting people across the board.

I just got into an argument with someone who was saying that Truth and Midship are the same size.........

Nicolas-Cage-Laugh.gif

I hope forge could look like the breakout map, I would give them props for seemingly figuring out how to make forge maps look appealing

Well that was plain stupid

I went to go visit my brother to play the Halo 5 Beta and the search times were longer than the games

So basically instead of get to play 10-15 games like I should have had time to I got to play 3

I mean they've got all year to fix it but if this problem doesn't improve I'm certainly not buying an Xbox to play 1 game

i remember i said they added sprint so it would look cool in commercials

welp

sprint in the commercial = not going anywhere

right?

Hello darkness my old friend... :(

Am I crazy or do BR starts play worse than AR starts in this game? Not that I was enjoying myself much before, but the games with BR starts have been even less fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This community lol. A powerful power weapon is apparently just as bad as sprint.

They're giving us ridiculous reasons for their bad mechanics by saying we need it for "immersion", and then they put a scope on a sword. This is easily one (among many)  that no one can defend being made a joke of.

Am I crazy or do BR starts play worse than AR starts in this game? Not that I was enjoying myself much before, but the games with BR starts have been even less fun.

No way in hell. BR starts are actually playable for me, whereas AR starts made me rage quit after one game. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

You're crazy.

Never again should they go back to AR starts. Ever.

I would be willing to play Light Rifle starts, though.

Hmm....

Halo's competitive future right now is so hard to predict

343 needs to make sure MCC is fixed and working by March. and advertise the fuck out of the HCS finals.

Same here. But it's only because of pub stomping and using the Pistol. Pistol is GOAT.

Right so I hate to be that guy but downvoting this quoted genuine question is going above and beyond being a frustrated fan. It's being a toxic little ass. Let's not do this.

In response to your descope suggestion, I'm wondering what problem you think it would be solving, or how you think it would improve Halo?

I love descope and don't see any reason to "fix" it. Learning to keep your cool when descoped and using that calmness and a good aim to get back on top is something I think is brilliant about Halo.

Get back with your thoughts because I'm interested in knowing what makes you consider such a change for Halo.

Eden is getting a lot of flack but does anyone else think this map would be amazing for Extraction, KoTH, or even Oddball?

Been thinking about what maps/gametypes would be suited best for HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I fucking, fucking, FUCKING HATE that someone like Greenskull can just lob a question out there and it gets answered in a timely, clear fashion.

Fucking. HATE.

I still have no clue who he is. Does he do other FPS games or what? I've literally never heard of him with anything to do with Halo before 343.

Direct hit doesn't kill. So bad

It doesn't make sense to me. It's like you have to spam it, and the reticule/aiming lock on it isn't accurate.

I just pick it up so they other team doesn't get it. lol