CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

i want to like regret so hard but i don't and idk why

i think it's just because i suck at this game. 

Did you notice how many times he said just the one word "cute" in a post? That should get him in trouble as it is considered spam. But he is praising 343 too much at the moment lol...

It takes more than Spartan models & a BR to feel like a Halo game.

What precisely constitutes halo game is a pretty complicated discussion. But is seems to me that a lot of people are fooled if the visual “signs” are similar. If the game has certain models that look like Spartans, the interface is aesthetical familiar, perhaps even the sound effects, the weapon models are designed in a way that visually refers to earlier games and some story elements reoccur, et cetera, lots of people think it is halo.

I know that this is a somewhat of a straw man argument, but I think there is more to it.

Of course we could say that anything the developers describe normatively as Halo is to be considered a Halo game. But what a lot of old fans mean when they say Halo – I presume – is a specific set of game mechanics that generates or entails a certain type of gameplay. It might be different from person to person; some might think of Halo CE as the proto typical Halo game, some might say Halo 2, but is raises the question: what amount of mechanics can change before it can’t be considered Halo anymore. Is there some “essence” or does it depends on taste, discourse, the name on the box and so on?

If the franchise “needs” to develop we will at some point end up with a game that is so fundamentally different from the original trilogy (and there is quite a difference between CE and H2!), that you would not be able to recognize it from the gameplay, if it weren’t for the visual signs. Another thing is that I am not convinced that games necessarily need to develop, as long as new content and smaller changes are made. I played Mario Kart (don’t laugh) as a kid, and if you look at the changes from the first to last game in that franchise, I wouldn’t say there has been an innovative development.

So would it even be possible to have continuity in mechanics when so many developers, fans, critics think, that games must change fundamentally? And when we mean “develop”, “innovate” or “evolve” is it then enough to copy elements of popular games today? If the characters you control in Halo 5 weren’t Spartans, I would never be able to tell that it was a Halo game. The core mechanics resembles other games more, I think. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

i want to like regret so hard but i don't and idk why

i think it's just because i suck at this game. 

Everyone sucks at the game. There are no winners.... :(

BR starts is growing on me. I do like the BR in this game.

It sucks to hear Kill Confirmed in a Halo game.

I think 343 added the auto-callouts because people don't talk in games anymore, which is probably my biggest disappointment with the community since Halo left the original Xbox.

Everyone sucks at the game. There are no winners.... :(

i was a bk 50 at most in halo so i know the extent of my abilities. but i feel like the game's average ttk is too fast. poke out and you die, and then the one guy you almost kill on your own sprints away or thrusts back into cover. 

maybe it's just the ADS that's throwing me off.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reading that post and the proceeding posts after it (Could only handle the first page before I had to close the damn thread) made me both laugh and facepalm. Did that kid really say Halo 2 MP sucks? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

i was a bk 50 at most in halo so i know the extent of my abilities. but i feel like the game's average ttk is too fast. poke out and you die, and then the one guy you almost kill on your own sprints away or thrusts back into cover. 

No, I had the same problem. I ended up following team mates around and using them as bait to get kills. It's the only way I can get consecutive kills, in this game, without them sprinting away.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i think i'm just a reach kid. ZBNS to me was the best modern Halo settings and what Reach should have launched with. That game had a lot of other stuff going for it with the custom community and i feel like it would have stuck around for a long time with good settings. 

well, we still had shit maps to deal with, but ZBNS was fast enough to make them play decent. It had enough of a skillgap for me to want to get better at it, but it wasn't so punishing that i despised playing it. 

i just want halo 5 to be that. remove sprint, buff movement, nerf thruster (but reduce coldown) and tone down grenades just a bit, nerf auto headshots and buff pistol, make ADS instant or remove it, and move the fucking ground pound off of crouch jumping. 

then this game will be something - the kind of Halo i'd want to play at least. i dunno about you guys. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the ttk is ridicilous, on so many occasions I have found myself with 20% shield or less for just being slightly out of position or not in some form of cover.

As a player who tends to deal in BTB when I don't feel like being very competitive, I'm honestly curious how 343 handles Big Team in this game given that we haven't heard anything about it yet. The BR, with it's new scope, seems pretty much useless at long range unless they plan to make the DMR the starting weapon. 

i think i'm just a reach kid. ZBNS to me was the best modern Halo settings and what Reach should have launched with. That game had a lot of other stuff going for it with the custom community and i feel like it would have stuck around for a long time with good settings. 

well, we still had shit maps to deal with, but ZBNS was fast enough to make them play decent. It had enough of a skillgap for me to want to get better at it, but it wasn't so punishing that i despised playing it. 

i just want halo 5 to be that. buff movement, nerf thruster (but reduce coldown) and tone down grenades just a bit, nerf auto headshots and buff pistol, make ADS instant or remove it, and move the fucking ground pound off of crouch jumping. 

then this game will be something - the kind of Halo i'd want to play at least. i dunno about you guys. 

It would certainly be an improvement, but god damn, these maps are so poorly designed. Empire is just a huge cluster-fuck (Most times, after spawning, I have no idea where I am). And Truth is just a horribly stretched version of Middy, with huge areas of wasted space obviously there to allow for sprint.

I haven't played on the new two, but the feedback has been fairly negative, from what I've seen. 

i just want halo 5 to be that. buff movement, nerf thruster (but reduce coldown) and tone down grenades just a bit, nerf auto headshots and buff pistol, make ADS instant or remove it, and move the fucking ground pound off of crouch jumping. 

ZBNS Reach was amazing. Easily my favorite Halo since Halo 2. Put in something like 5,000 games in the MLG playlist in that game alone. Things mechanically worked well, the DMR was a competent starting weapon, and v7 maps and gametypes were varied and solid. Yeah, the amount of forge maps was annoying to some, but all the gametypes deserved to be there and the competition was also fierce. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Well I heard there were BR starts and a couple new maps now so I got on the beta again and managed to play 1 match in 40 minutes and then gave up trying to get this piece of shit to work.

Troll of the day goes to this guy chirponzo. Or he is completely serious. I honestly don't know what's what anymore. Good night.

6fa4b20dd23996614f2eb8b57bc20654.png

didn't know you were also in the chat haha. Yeah that guy unbelievable

Well I heard there were BR starts and a couple new maps now so I got on the beta again and managed to play 1 match in 40 minutes and then gave up trying to get this piece of shit to work.

Doesn't help that you have to restart the app to get out of a search, which then takes forever and a day to get back to the main menu because we can't skip the logos and are assaulted with the work-in-progress and message-of-the-day screens every time it loads up.

Side note: how big of a piece of shit is the XB1 to where everything has an annoyingly long loading period attached? All this stuff was seamless on the 360, now getting anything done is a fucking project.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doesn't help that you have to restart the app to get out of a search, which then takes forever and a day to get back to the main menu because we can't skip the logos and are assaulted with the work-in-progress and message-of-the-day screens every time it loads up.

Side note: how big of a piece of shit is the XB1 to where everything has an annoyingly long loading period attached? All this stuff was seamless on the 360, now getting anything done is a fucking project.

ya i don't understand. have they just not properly reallocated the memory now that kinect has more or less been dropped? 

console's expensive as fuck so it shouldn't struggle with simple processes. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just got a BXR medal on Regret. :walshy:

Doesn't help that you have to restart the app to get out of a search, which then takes forever and a day to get back to the main menu because we can't skip the logos and are assaulted with

the work-in-progress and message-of-the-day screens every time it loads up.

It;s one of my biggest peeves with the x1. Even something as simple as sending a friend a message takes forever. They need to bring back the mini menu, and lose the load times for the apps.

Just got a BXR medal on Regret. :walshy:

It;s one of my biggest peeves with the x1. Even something as simple as sending a friend a message takes forever. They need to bring back the mini menu, and lose the load times for the apps.

Windows 8 sucks on the PC and it sucks on the Xbox

No aparent positioning map control.

Everyones runnning around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Teams no longer hold down Pink Tower on Midship.

R.I.P HALO