CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hey guys. I was thinking about something, and I've never really heard it brought up much in the past and I wonder what your thoughts are. 

Would it be a good idea or a bad idea...if descope just wasn't a thing, and flinch wasn't a thing either? What if all weapons were balanced for their respective ranges with the fact that one could keep smart-linked under fire?

Is there anything inherently un-Halo about that idea?

• Downvote (-1) 5

You can keep saying that, but you're not going to convince anyone else.

Chances are you're someone who started playing Halo later in the franchise; I'm guessing Halo 3? I'm also guessing you play more than just Halo as far as FPS games go.

People like myself though, who have played Halo almost exclusively (as far as FPS games go) since CE (as a replacement for GoldenEye), Halo 5 does NOT feel like a Halo game. It takes more than Spartan models & a BR to feel like a Halo game.

I'm not talking about fair starts and shit like that, in talking how you move (speed, acceleration, responsiveness, etc.), how you jump (height, hang time, crouch-jump behaviour and responsiveness, etc.), strafe, aiming, etc.

Literally NONE of those things in H5 feels like Halo. Not a one. And just because you get descoped when hit & can scope in with right-stick doesn't mean "scoping is just like it always was"; it's slow, less responsive/cumbersome, and the difference in aesthetics is more than just superficially cosmetic: if affects visibility SIGNIFICANTLY.

The mere fact that I have to explain these things just stands to solidify my assumption that you're closer to a casual Halo player than a competitive or "enthusiast" one who is intimately familiar with even the most subtle of nuances of the game.

Ignorance must really be bliss :/

Nah man... been playing since CE. First time playing Halo was like back in April 2003 I wanna say.

I'm definitely not at all ignorant to the franchise, to what Halo is, or how it's played or should be played... just reasonable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey guys. I was thinking about something, and I've never really heard it brought up much in the past and I wonder what your thoughts are. 

Would it be a good idea or a bad idea...if descope just wasn't a thing, and flinch wasn't a thing either? What if all weapons were balanced for their respective ranges with the fact that one could keep smart-linked under fire?

sounds like snipedown would have a field day....

• Upvote (+1) 3

IMO, lack of descope would be quite un-Halo. Furthermore, Sniper would be imbalanced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now go back to your fantastic mission of promoting the transformation of Halo into : "Halo 5 Warfare : The Power Rangers guardians of the super duper future".

Saw this on waypoint. Safe to say I laughed really hard at this for no reason

• Upvote (+1) 4

Nah man... been playing since CE. First time playing Halo was like back in April 2003 I wanna say.

I'm definitely not at all ignorant to the franchise, to what Halo is, or how it's played or should be played... just reasonable.

Saying Halo 5 plays like traditional Halo isn't "reasonable", it's woefully and in many ways objectively inaccurate.

I'm not saying being open-minded about the game is bad, however. Again, I've clearly started H5 has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it'll likely be wasted potential as I don't see 343 making any significant core-mechanics changes before the officially full release of the game.

Not to mention the fact that this beta is supposedly only the "competitive, arena-style" portion of the multiplayer, so who knows what other "un-Halo" nonsense will be included in the rest of the multiplayer that we won't be able to get our hands on for another 10 months...

Saying Halo 5 plays like traditional Halo isn't "reasonable", it's woefully and in many ways objectively inaccurate.

I'm not saying being open-minded about the game is bad, however. Again, I've clearly started H5 has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it'll likely be wasted potential as I don't see 343 making any significant core-mechanics changes before the officially full release of the game.

Not to mention the fact that this beta is supposedly only the "competitive, arena-style" portion of the multiplayer, so who knows what other "un-Halo" nonsense will be included in the rest of the multiplayer that we won't be able to get our hands on for another 10 months...

Let me ask you this then... HOW is it inaccurate? Tell me how Halo 5 doesn't play like Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let me ask you this then... HOW is it inaccurate? Tell me how Halo 5 doesn't play like Halo.

Uh... did you NOT read literally ANY of my last couple posts where I talked about movement, physics, etc.?

I swear, it's like talking to a wet sock sometimes...

• Upvote (+1) 2

All I know is im keeping my receipt for this one

If they listen for once to the majority of the competitive community for the arena side they can have a successful game on both ends.
Casuals really just want playlists they can run around and have fun in, fun weapons, they dont dive into the core mechanics like we do. 

I will always push for ranked and social playlists, establish middle ground core mechanics then let us tweak, thats every halo before reach. 

#self-selection-bias

So it's 3:30 in the morning and I've been on Halo 5 for a few hours. I'm browsing the forums on my phone and I click next page. I started to scroll down and suddenly stopped scrolling because I saw the loading bar at half way thinking if I kept scrolling, the page wouldn't load... #FuckSprint

Uh... did you NOT read literally ANY of my last couple posts where I talked about movement, physics, etc.?

I swear, it's like talking to a wet sock sometimes...

It all feels like Halo to me man... that's what I'm saying. I really don't understand your argument. Just because movement or jumping isn't exactly like Halo "whatever" doesn't make Halo 5, un-Halo. It's the subtle differences among all of the Halo games (for the most part) that make them all unique and great in their own rights... or not so great, as with Reach or Halo 4... there was NO "strafe" in those games. But Halo 5 is much better IMO than either of those games for base-movement. Strafing feels pretty decent to me, then throw in a Thrust mid-duel and out-play an opponent... takes strafing to a whole new level.

EDIT: That's just one example regarding the overall feel and physics of the game...

I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but the elements of a Halo game are all there, whether or not the engine and gameplay feel the exact same down to a minute mechanical level as the older games. Frankly Halo kinda needed an all-new engine... Reworking the old one time and time again was kinda bogging the game down after a while if you ask me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just watched the project contingency video... How is that legal? They're basically copying halo

I've been following it for over a year. Microsoft's rules allow you to make your own project based on their stuff as long as you aren't making money off of it.

Watch the people behind Project Contingency get sued by 343 and Micrsoft for being an indie project and a better game than 343 would ever make. Still have my fingers cross for 343 to hire them to make halo better.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just watched the project contingency video... How is that legal? They're basically copying halo

Because they won't be making any profit from it and they are staying within the guidelines of the MS agreements.

I guess they are putting together a complete title for the PC, with both campaign and MP?