CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Or keep Sprint offline-only like they kept a harmless aesthetic pose (weapon lowering) for similar issues that are actually toxic to Halo's core.

Yes, I sound like a broken record. But that's how simple it was if they were so adamant about keeping it in. Make it have nothing to do with the Xbox Live component.

They are not going to have different set of movement mechanics between campaign and multiplayer. That wouldn't make sense.

The map geometry makes sprint infuriating, especially with good team shot

Chasing is normally a bad idea but now it's completely moronic, especially with clamber and thrusting added to the mix.

No... don't get me wrong. I completely get it.

But the kill-times? The equal starts/abilities? The weapons on map? The Halo-triad of guns/grenades/melee? C'mon man... it's all there. It's a Halo game. And then if you want it to FEEL like the Halo games you remember, there's a control scheme dedicated to that. Problem solved.

That's my argument. It's simply a modernized Halo.

What is it with you and control schemes?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or keep Sprint offline-only like they kept a harmless aesthetic pose (weapon lowering) for similar issues that are actually toxic to Halo's core.

Yes, I sound like a broken record. But that's how simple it was if they were so adamant about keeping it in. Make it have nothing to do with the Xbox Live component.

Why bother having it in the game at all then? Why even keep a feature that's been pushed into a dark recess--some distant, dark corner somewhere? What would be the point then?

No compromises. We've tried that, and it still didn't work. Handicapping it and bending the gameplay AROUND it (and still having it fall flat on it's face) is a clear sign it just needs to fucking go.

Would you work this hard to keep around a frequently tardy employee who doesn't do their job well and who's mere involvement in the company not only serves no benefit, but is actually detrimental to it's growth and progress?

No, no sane, rational person would. Sprint is that employee. It's time to hand it it's final paycheck, box up it's personal belongings, and walk it out the front door.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're kidding, right?

if were talking mechanics, both games had a lack of sprint, perks, and killstreaks. If were following your logic, you would just need to take away shields map pick ups, and add preset loadouts for h2 to be cod at that time.

Don't be silly. There are tons of people playing this game. Many of them from this forum. Halo 5 is going to be a big success with how it plays now. Just not a huge success in the competitive community. 

This game is suppose to be developed with the competitive community in mind with a focus on esports according to what 343 has said, is it not..

Also, isn't that what this beta is? The competitive side of the game?

if were talking mechanics, both games had a lack of sprint, perks, and killstreaks. If were following your logic, you would just need to take away shields map pick ups, and add preset loadouts for h2 to be cod at that time.

...so, you're kidding, right?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

...so, you're kidding, right?

I don't actually BELIEVE this, I'm simply reapplying your logic.

This game is suppose to be developed with the competitive community in mind with a focus on esports according to what 343 has said, is it not..

what gave you that idea?

Last time I checked, the "competitive community" has been testing this game and giving inputs.  I know majority of the people here love to consider themselves part of the "competitive community," but the real competitive community consists of Pros and players who compete at events.

And we won't know what the final game will look like until release.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Yes, but it was due to strategy and his position on the map. If it wasn't for the portal, he could not have escaped. I think this is different from being able to sprint away while your opponent can't shoot you, because they are sprinting too. The latter is a problem, the first I don't see anything wrong with. However, you could discuss pro et contra portals as a feature in map design.

I don't actually BELIEVE this, I'm simply reapplying your logic.

No, you're not. I'm beginning to think you don't quite understand what "core gameplay mechanics" means...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone explain how to use the Hydra? I heard it had a lock-on mechanic, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it. If not, well then that explains the lack of lock-on lol.  

Can someone explain how to use the Hydra? I heard it had a lock-on mechanic, but I'm not entirely sure how to use it. If not, well then that explains the lack of lock-on lol.  

1) Scope in

2) Get red reticle on player while scoped in

3) ???

4) Immersion

• Upvote (+1) 8

what gave you that idea?

The buzz words they throw around every time they talk about multiplayer in Halo 5.

http://stevivor.com/2014/12/343-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-made-esports-mind/

The fact that they are hiring pros to give test the multiplayer in Ghost, Strongside, Dersky, and Neighbor.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/343-industries-hires-pro-gamer-eric-hewitt/1100-6417105/

The first people who got to play their game and who's feedback is undoubtedly most important are current pro players.

The HCS being run by 343 and created for H5.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/5/7160695/halo-gets-serious-about-esports-with-the-halo-championship-series

Seems like all they do lately is try to link themselves with esports and competitive gaming.

After playing a good amount since the beta has been released here  is my personal feedback.

I will leave out glitches and bugs since it is a beta (that includes flinch).

Sprint: This seems to be the hot topic. While I do like that they made strives to balance it...I still do not see it ever actually being balanced. It just doesn't work with Halo straight up. Maps that would normally be awesome without sprint are able to be crossed in less than 5 seconds, you can easily get out of situations and just make a made dash for your team so they won't chase you, etc. I find myself spending most of the matches just straight up chasing people. The funny thing is, while people against sprint are stating ACTUAL reasons as far as gameplay why it doesn't work....the people for it are all saying mostly the same thing. "It's 2015 it has to be in there because every game has it" or "Immersion...Im a Spartan". Those last 2 reasons don't result in good gameplay. Come to us with some legit reasons as to why sprint makes gameplay better than no-sprint and we will be happy. Escaping sticky situations used to be praised and took skill....now it just turn around...and run for your life....because you will most likely be able to get away with the lack of LOS/clamber/thrust.

Thruster: I am half and half on this. It has its  ups and downs. I think combined with sprint it is abused. Someone suggested that if they keep sprint in, put a cooldown on the time until you can sprint after you thrust. I think like 3 or 4 seconds would be cool. Thrusting does make for some clutch plays though like assassinations and multi kills. Overall I like it but it can use some balancing. It is starting to cause inconsistency in gun-fights.

Ground Pound: I actually enjoy it. They already mentioned it will be changed so it doesn't affect crouch jumping which is good. The only issue I see is when no-radar gametypes come into play. I can see it being pretty random and chaotic but you can hear it pretty well.

Clamber: While I do prefer the normal skill-jumping (no clamber) I think this can work. However combined with sprint/thruster it makes thing a little ridiculous. Maps can be crossed in no time and you just see people climbing/leaping  shit like monkeys.

ADS and smart-link/scope thing.: ADS on the weapons needs to be a bit quicker. The BR one is fine (Look-wise) but the DMR is just too clunky and takes up too much vision. DMR one also has some annoying glares sometimes. As far as the automatic weapons go I think it should be removed all-together.  With how powerful the AR and SMG are I do not think there is a need for it. This is assuming that it enhances accuracy. Pistol one I think is good.

Weapons: I have no issue with the following:

BR,DMR (minus the ADS on the DMR), Pistol, Grenades, and Light Rifle.

The ones that need fixing imo:

AR and SMG (should be toned down a bit...maybe the range on them. I think that with how easy they are to use they should not be that powerful at that far of a range.)

Sniper (Feels very clunky as in the quickscoping back to back doesnt work...the Y-Y zoom in, etc. It could also use a visual overhaul.)

BR/AR starts would be good.

Maps:

The only one I have enjoyed so far is Truth. It can use some lighting changes though. Seems too dark at times to spot Blue team far away. Also take out the jump from bottom mid to top mid.

The other maps have line of site issues imo . Empire and Regret  have potential but should have some structural changes to make LOS better.  If it was up to me I would not even include Eden in the final version of the game. I can't think of anything good to say about it.

Random things I would like to see happen:

-Competitive playlist with:

No sprint, BR/Pistol starts, No Spartan talk, No radar, Thrusters (maybe),Clamber, and ground pound allowed.

-Theater mode that can allow more than one person in.

-Improved custom game options with the ability to turn specific spartan abilities on/off (including sprint)

-The return of social playlists without competitive ranks

-Be able to move while viewing the score/players

Conclusion:

So overall I do see potential in the game but I think there will need to be some big changes. the focus needs to be more on gameplay and less on "just cuz" or "immersion". That is what the campaign is for. They have made some good improvements since Halo 4 but still. They need to find the balance of immersion and gameplay that works. If the cons out-weigh the pros....just dont include it.

#GiveSpartansAnti-GlareVisors

what gave you that idea?

Seriously? Okay, you HAVE to be a troll or something.

343 has stated multiple times that the beta is a preview of the "competitive arena-style multiplayer". Are you being intentionally thick or are you really just this clueless?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

fucking lol at crouching in midair turning you downwards. 

why does 343 not understand Halo? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

You have to be scoped in for the lock on to work but then even after you descope you'll still be locked on.

Actually came here to post about that gun it seems like a novelty. It's only use is player suppression from what I've experienced. It's basically like having 16 weaker nades

• Upvote (+1) 1

1) Scope in

2) Get red reticle on player while scoped in

3) ???

4) Immersion

Did not realize a rocket launcher had a scope. 

fucking lol at crouching in midair turning you downwards. 

why does 343 not understand Halo? 

343 knew about this problem way before the launch of the beta and it's going to be fixed in the real game. 

Last time I checked, the "competitive community" has been testing this game and giving inputs.  I know majority of the people here love to consider themselves part of the "competitive community," but the real competitive community consists of Pros and players who compete at events.

And we won't know what the final game will look like until release.

They are the major part of it but I disagree with your definition of competitive community. And my point was: if people will like the game, just not the competitive community, then what is all the bullshit about the game having such a competitive focus.

Seriously? Okay, you HAVE to be a troll or something.

343 has stated multiple times that the beta is a preview of the "competitive arena-style multiplayer". Are you being intentionally thick or are you really just this clueless?

ok first of all, cool it jerk,second, I just accidentally misunderstood his initial wording, I thought he meant beta as in, the concept of a beta not the h5 beta specifically.
  • Downvote (-1) 2