CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Just like how the "Recon" control scheme is "there for a reason."

That reason being that without it, the game is Call of Duty with Halo Spartan models & a few weapon names. That's it.

What else about this game is traditionally like Halo? Shields? That's really about it.

Sorry, but the sum total of Halo franchise does not amount to Spartan models, the BR, and shields.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its supposed to feel like call of duty...left trigger to ADS is the default setting for a reason.

its supposed to be a compromise. The game to me resembles halo enough for me to get enjoyment out of it, but I'm not going to pretend like it's the best halo game ever, OR that we can't do better when clearly, there is a great game in h5, hiding under a fair amount of hindrances like sprint and ads or other smaller issues.

Everything we don't want will stay and everything we need won't be added in the final product. What's the point ?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The temptation was too strong. I'm sorry.

No apologies needed. I got a good laugh out of it

Halo community is trashier than halo 5. Cmon guys give some real feedback like adults. 343 isn't gonna listen to shit from this forum if it just looks like a bunch of emotional whiny kids.

Well there is that thread also...

Wow.

I was bashing this game like hell when the beta was first released and was getting negged like crazy for it. Then I come back to Beyond a few days later and everyone is saying the same thing I was saying.

That honeymoon phase sure didn't last very long!

Being a prophet has its hard times up front, but you feel vindicated later when you see the masses turn to the truth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just realized something. In the H5 limited edition, it says that it delivers digital content to enchance Spartan Combat. And not to mention the beta being a small portion of what the game. This worries me.

Wow. Really? You ACTUALLY don't get it?

It's not about the controls. It's about the gameplay that those controls... well, control.

Go play Halo CE for an hour, then switch to Halo 2. While weapons change, maps change, etc., the CORE of the game still feels the same.

Then pop in Halo 5. If you sit there and tell me you still think it feels & plays just like Halo, then you simply do not understand Halo at it's very core. At all. Also, you're probably high.

That being said, I don't think Halo 5 is a terrible game that is beyond hope; I've outlined, ad nauseam, a handful of very simple, very easy changes in this thread that would make Halo 5 infinitely more enjoyable as well as competitive. However, even with those changes, it still wouldn't feel like traditional Halo / a traditional Halo sequel as much as Halo 2 or 3 do, for example. It would at least be fun, though, and would resemble Halo much more that it does currently.

No... don't get me wrong. I completely get it.

But the kill-times? The equal starts/abilities? The weapons on map? The Halo-triad of guns/grenades/melee? C'mon man... it's all there. It's a Halo game. And then if you want it to FEEL like the Halo games you remember, there's a control scheme dedicated to that. Problem solved.

That's my argument. It's simply a modernized Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Here's the point:

If you took Call of a Duty, without all the extra perks and bullshit: just the core gameplay mechanics, and swapped the models with Spartans, and added shields and de-scope, you'd have the foundation of Halo 5.

That's a HUGE fucking problem. And it's extremely worrisome that 343 looked at the failure of Reach (pre-ZBNS), then made Halo 4 & saw the spectacular failure of that, and then STILL further moved the franchise away from what made it unique (and successful) and toward Call of Duty & other generic modern shooters, WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE THOSE GAMES THAT PLAY THAT WAY.

Extremely worrisome indeed.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I just put up 15 kills in breakout and lost

Great game type guys!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

No... don't get me wrong. I completely get it.

But the kill-times? The equal starts/abilities? The weapons on map? The Halo-triad of guns/grenades/melee? C'mon man... it's all there. It's a Halo game. And then if you want it to FEEL like the Halo games you remember, there's a control scheme dedicated to that. Problem solved.

That's my argument. It's simply a modernized Halo.

It does not play like Halo, therefore it does not FEEL like Halo.

I'm not asking for a CE clone with HD graphics. I'm asking for a game that, at it's core, moves, feels, plays, and performs like a Halo game.

Right now, the main problem with that is sprint. Without that, Halo 5 at least has a chance. But with it... forget it.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Here's the point:

If you took Call of a Duty, without all the extra perks and bullshit: just the core gameplay mechanics, and swapped the models with Spartans, and added shields and de-scope, you'd have the foundation of Halo 5.

What you're saying is stil nowhere near Halo 5 though. Gunplay would still be nothing alike, melees would be nothing alike, grenades would be nothing alike, there wouldn't be power weapons on the map, the map woulds would be much bigger, etc.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

What you're saying is stil nowhere near Halo 5 though. Gunplay would still be nothing alike, melees would be nothing alike, grenades would be nothing alike, there wouldn't be power weapons on the map, the map woulds would be much bigger, etc.

I was speaking to mechanics, not features. I thought I made that clear...

I was speaking to mechanics, not features. I thought I made that clear...

couldnt you have said this when halo 2 and cod 2 were out though?

You two can neg rep me all you like, but it's not exactly like I'm the only person in the Halo community with this opinion; it's apparently the majority, which is a good thing: maybe the community will unite against 343's direction. The fact that we haven't done so yet is why we are where we are now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

couldnt you have said this when halo 2 and cod 2 were out though?

You're kidding, right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

See, that's a result of good positioning & decision making: not over-extending without support or without a way out of the situation.

Sprint, however, allows you to get away almost anywhere really quickly simply but pressing a button. You don't even really have to think about where you're going: just haul ass away from the bullets, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You two can neg rep me all you like, but it's not exactly like I'm the only person in the Halo community with this opinion; it's apparently the majority, which is a good thing: maybe the community will unite against 343's direction. The fact that we haven't done so yet is why we are where we are now.

So what should we as a community do? The only thing I could see getting any attention would be maybe a petition to remove sprint with 50k+ signatures. That way with that many signatures it would be hard to ignore. 50k signatures would not just be people from the competitive community, but the wider halo community too.

So what should we as a community do? The only thing I could see getting any attention would be maybe a petition to remove sprint with 50k+ signatures. That way with that many signatures it would be hard to ignore. 50k signatures would not just be people from the competitive community, but the wider halo community too.

lol, 50K? I doubt there is even 5K still playing this game.

Or keep Sprint offline-only like they kept a harmless aesthetic pose offline (weapon lowering) for similar issues. Not like it adds up for WL.

Yes, I sound like a broken record. But that's how simple it was if they were so adamant about keeping it in. Make it have nothing to do with the Xbox Live component.

Simple: refuse to buy the game, and refuse to participate in the tournament events they're trying to put together.

After dumping tons of money into not only the game (that we're not buying and therefore not playing), and spending money to bolster and support the tournament scene with nobody showing up to compete, they'll definitely get the message.

lol, 50K? I doubt there is even 5K still playing this game.

Don't be silly. There are tons of people playing this game. Many of them from this forum. Halo 5 is going to be a big success with how it plays now. Just not a huge success in the competitive community. 

Both of these maps stink. Eden is better, but looks like a CoD map, and there's no flow to.

Regret is another over-stylized mess. I don't know why they cant just keep their designs simple, ala Haven.

The Hydra is trash. I'd rather the old rockets

• Upvote (+1) 3