CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 2 BTB Clan matches were some of the most fun I've ever had with Halo. I liked social H2 BTB too, but just having an objective that all 16 players were fighting hard for is something we haven't had since.

• Upvote (+1) 3

CV12jGoWwAEpdaB.jpg

You'll be an old fart like us someday too! My hands actually do get cramped playing with a controller nowadays, not with my ergonomic master race setup though. ;-)

• Upvote (+1) 3

You'll be an old fart like us someday too! My hands actually do get cramped playing with a controller nowadays, not with my ergonomic master race setup though. ;-)

CV12jGoWwAEpdaB.jpg

So you're not down to get slapped at a LAN again ;-)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was never a big fan of neutral flag for waterworks solely because that map would boil down to both tanks rushing the middle and whichever teams tank survived would win. You had rockets and a few other tools to help take out a tank, but so did the other team. I feel like I've lost many quick matches on that map/mode solely because of that kind of cheese.

I'll agree that most of those modes are better for the weapon spawn system. I would say that if the defending team on headlong got the human sniper rifle + ammo box that was a pretty big advantage. Not as big as holding the enemy snipe/banshee on coagulation but still pretty nice. Super bouncing was another big issue in any OBJ mode. Despite the many flaws I can find I still considered it my favorite to play.

Of course these things aren't exclusive to BTB and are more map exploits, but turning on your handicap on zanzibar and launching the bomb guy over into the base. Triple jumping up to the flag on Relic and throwing it down. This stuff, on paper, is just terrible but in practice it was a lot of fun to me. I remember playing defense on zanzibar and you'd rush for the items but we would also have to look up just incase bomb guy was soaring over.

Oh yeah terminal was a lot of fun.

I liked how Waterworks Neutral Flag would evolve every round. Usually in the later rounds teams would start bringing their tank around. They’d let the other team pull flag, but flank around and wipe out everything on their side and run it all the way back.

Defense got Beam on Headlong. Attackers got Human. I always thought the opening was really interesting and balanced on that map. But yeah, that sniper had the weight of the world on his shoulders to not lose control of it or you’d never get the flag back.

And yeah Terminal was amazing for Flag and Bomb.

CV12jGoWwAEpdaB.jpg

You should have seen me this last Beach LAN. I was wearing a brace, icing my hand and was putting on biofreeze like crazy, stretching, taking advil, sitting long periods of time. My hand actually got quite a bit better since then, but hurt a bit again two weeks ago after a single day LAN.

I can play all day and night using my soft elite controller but the plastic on these OG controllers must have been made out of the same plastic as those old nokia phones. They're harder than metal. When I was younger I actually played with the Duke throughout the OG xbox's life cycle. It's been a while but I want to try it again and see if it helps out with my hand issues.

I liked how Waterworks Neutral Flag would evolve every round. Usually in the later rounds teams would start bringing their tank around. They’d let the other team pull flag, but flank around and wipe out everything on their side and run it all the way back.

Defense got Beam on Headlong. Attackers got Human. I always thought the opening was really interesting and balanced on that map. But yeah, that sniper had the weight of the world on his shoulders to not lose control of it or you’d never get the flag back.

And yeah Terminal was amazing for Flag and Bomb.

I just have memories of the worst player possible on the team spawning right next to our tank thus fucking up everything lol. There was neutral bomb on Waterworks too right? Headlong to me is one of the best BTB maps. While things were laid out for offense/defense players still were able to go and contest the human sniper/camo by using the ghost on defense to rush up the ramp, or go and contest the rocket/overshield. I guess you could argue that you could take the warthog over to beam but thats more risky.

We had so many dumb strategies and everyone on our team had a sense of what everyone else was doing so it often got really competitive at higher levels despite the mind numbing amount of cheesy tactics I could think of. I kind of imagine everyone did it but man I was a dick back then and even still on MCC you bet your ass I'm getting sniper on turf, grabbing the ammo then getting above the map with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you're not down to get slapped at a LAN again ;-)

I'd rather get slapped around at a CE LAN than go 100-0 in Halo 5 or reach rank #1 in the world.

So bring it on! Just need a day or two to use a controller before the LAN, playing a CE LAN where holding a controller feels weird as fuck is no bueno.

Side note: What's the situation with CE being backwards compat on the Xbox One X? Would CE LAN theoretically work better on that than even the OG Xboxes? 

• Upvote (+1) 4

You should have seen me this last Beach LAN. I was wearing a brace, icing my hand and was putting on biofreeze like crazy, stretching, taking advil, sitting long periods of time. My hand actually got quite a bit better since then, but hurt a bit again two weeks ago after a single day LAN.

I can play all day and night using my soft elite controller but the plastic on these OG controllers must have been made out of the same plastic as those old nokia phones. They're harder than metal. When I was younger I actually played with the Duke throughout the OG xbox's life cycle. It's been a while but I want to try it again and see if it helps out with my hand issues.

And who says eSports aren't physical? 

I think it's because the older controllers are heavier.

I'd rather get slapped around at a CE LAN than go 100-0 in Halo 5 or reach rank #1 in the world.

So bring it on! Just need a day or two to use a controller before the LAN, playing a CE LAN where holding a controller feels weird as fuck is no bueno.

Side note: What's the situation with CE being backwards compat on the Xbox One X? Would CE LAN theoretically work better on that than even the OG Xboxes? 

I'd love to have another small LAN like we did last year. I don't have a copy of CE to try on my Xbox One if the back compat is even out yet.

Paging @@QuietMan

I don't remember the name of the launch one but it is at least worthy of a "you tried" award.

It was Basin if you're referring to the one was inspired from Blood Gulch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And who says eSports aren't physical? 

I think it's because the older controllers are heavier.

I'd love to have another small LAN like we did last year. I don't have a copy of CE to try on my Xbox One if the back compat is even out yet.

Paging @@QuietMan

The elite controller is actually quite a bit heavier than the S type. I really like the weight of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The elite controller is actually quite a bit heavier than the S type. I really like the weight of it.

I've never held an elite so I thought it wasn't much heavier than the standard Xbone controllers.

I'm just there for the chicken dip and flavored crackers man. 

I can score both of those again if we LAN.

p.s. the crackers are called Fire Crackers

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can score both of those again if we LAN.

p.s. the crackers are called Fire Crackers

Sweet. Whatever we do, we need to have decent controllers next time around.

I know Halo C.E.A is backwards compat. I wonder if you can LAN with that, and if so, is LAN via WIFI doable?

If so we could very easily LAN at my place right now because I already have multiple xboxes and screens.

Still would love to get NHE working though. :/

I can't remember if CEA had the original multiplayer??

edit:

***k me it didn't have the original multiplayer. How absurd. Why don't they just make the original Backwards compatible?

ske7ch commented about having population counters as well as the 150K theory.

I honestly don't really understand the obsession with getting numbers. How many games have visible population counters? To what end? If you see a game that has a population of X, does that really make you go "hmm I better stop playing this game because it's less than Y." I'm truly wanting to understand the POV here.

I can understand a desire to see how active a playlist is at a given moment (tho those old counters in Halo games were notoriously inaccurate) in terms of wanting to know what you're signing up for (will this be a long wait? is it worth my limited time during this play session or should I play elsewhere?) but curious, what # does the Halo community need to see to either refute or validate their concerns?

I've seen somewhere a theory that there were 150,000 players playing Halo 5 over the span of 3 months. That's crazy talk. There are far more people playing HW2 than that, let alone Halo 5.

I'm in the process of working with the team to see what we can do here - not because we need to 'defend' Halo 5 or tout a number but because I think this perception of Halo 5 being a failure / nobody likes 'modern Halo', "Halo is dead", or "Everyone likes X and not Y" just isn't healthy or true. We'll see what I'm able to do but I'd like to help Halo fans understand the current state of the franchise and have a little more perspective just so we can have more factual discourse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/7hrduf/halo_twitter_now_has_1_million_followers/dquzv99/

• Upvote (+1) 1

So wait, Menke says we can't have party restrictions because "the population doesn't support it", but Sketch says H5 has a healthy and thriving population? Which one is it FFS? Make up your mind.

• Upvote (+1) 3

ske7ch commented about having population counters as well as the 150K theory.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/7hrduf/halo_twitter_now_has_1_million_followers/dquzv99/

Yeah I call bullshit.

But still, he said players over a 3 month period.  If by that he means they're counting every single person who opens Halo 5 over the course of 3 months...sure.  But that's a ridiculous merit.  Seems like a very strange qualification.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I call bullshit.

But still, he said players over a 3 month period.  If by that he means they're counting every single person who opens Halo 5 over the course of 3 months...sure.  But that's a ridiculous merit.  Seems like a very strange qualification.

I bet I was counted in that and I just opened Halo 5 the other day to see what it looked like on my 4k tv, didn't even play a game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I bet I was counted in that and I just opened Halo 5 the other day to see what it looked like on my 4k tv, didn't even play a game.

Traitor

Still looked like shit huh?  You should have messed around to how horrid the input lag is on big TVs.  LOL .  Unplayable. 

Im going to go with menke on this. Considering menke sees all active players. If there were so many players I could find a game in the morning.

Blood Gulch and Valhalla are a perfect example of fanboy nostalgia. Those maps were never actually good. Is the Valhalla remake in H5 worse than the original? Sure. But it still sucked in H3 too. Giant, open valleys with no cover and almost nothing for anyone to do on foot. I'm sure it's great for kids who consider themselves the "vehicle guy," though. HAHAHA I LOVE BANSHEES.

I didn't play enough Blood Gulch 8v8 to know if it was any good, but I really liked 8v8 Valhalla CTF (and only CTF). The fight for the laser, the constant threat of mongoose sneaky-caps. I really dislike the banshee on the map, but it was nice sometimes to get the laser first thing and watch their banshee hide behind their base for 5 minutes, but I'd rather it wasn't there. So many good memories of Halo 3 BTB. 

I don't even remember the names of Halo 5 BTB maps, and I used to pride myself on knowing the name of every single Halo map at a glance.

Traitor

Still looked like shit huh?  You should have messed around to how horrid the input lag is on big TVs.  LOL .  Unplayable. 

Dude, no joke, I felt little to no input lag on my TV. I would have no problem playing FPS games on it, Halo 5's shitty aiming system aside.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR55X800E-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01MSD6HHV/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512600380&sr=1-2&keywords=XBR55X800E

That is the TV, you know how picky I am about input lag too. I turned off all the "motion" options though, have to.