CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think you mean KB&M support. That's all you need to remove AA. Start selling Xboxes with a Microsoft made KB&M.

Half the reason I still play on console is because I prefer the feel of a controller to KB&M. Not to mention there's no way to play with KB&M on a couch, where they majority of casual Xbox players play. 

Half the reason I still play on console is because I prefer the feel of a controller to KB&M. Not to mention there's no way to play with KB&M on a couch, where they majority of casual Xbox players play.

Then you can't really complain about aim assist existing because it's gonna be a necessity.

Then you can't really complain about aim assist existing because it's gonna be a necessity.

I haven't, and I do believe aim assist is a necessity on console. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

The thing is, targets are harder to hit at range anyway so it's doesn't feel too jarring if an enemy steps out of RRR and you don't have aim assist at 60m nd out. But as Tyco said, at close range this feels extremely weird and partly explains why H5s aiming is such a mess.

So, a near 15GB update and we get a gametype that has been in every halo game day 1, a weapon tuning 2 years in the unpopular (and often shat on) game, commendations that could have been introduced along with the cut I mean free updates, and more weapon skins that 343 want to make a profit off of. Granted that last one is more of an option, but I can't help but think it's a half ass cash grab.

And that brings the game data up to 106.5GB. Is that really warranted? MCC and all the major halo titles alone have far more content than Halo 5 and memory doesn't take up more than 1/5th of anyone using a 500GB hard drive.

Oh and how could I forget, 4K enhancements because people and 343 care about what the graphics than they do about making a decent product. Personally I couldn't care the next halo title has 240p resolution. But if you're going to give a game 4K resolution, do for a future Halo title, not a game that has been made in the past.

If anything I was hoping for was maybe a possibility to use theater, and forge mode offline. But no, you're stuck with only campaign that you can play solo. Doesn't matter anyway cause you can't do split screen. And when the game servers or Xbox Live shut down, more than 3/4 of that game is useless.

By this point, I'm sure everyone on here can tell I'm once again disappointed and frustrated by 343's lack of compassion with the fan base, and the games they have made. With the typical "Oh we'll do better" or "You're feedback is very important", because saying that never cuts it. It's like a person telling you that he's a nice person despite treating people like trash when it's not warranted. I'm not sure how many of you passed on Halo Wars 2 for the sake of a discount or Black Friday like I have, but you're like me watching and looking out for the next major Halo title, you're basically plugging your nose and watching 343 stir the pot of shit. You don't want to smell it or have any of it, but you want to see how it turns out.

Edit:) I uninstalled the game and installed it offline to see how big the game was out of curiosity, it's 46GB. Could have just looked it up online but whatever. Game saves were incompatible and that didn't surprise me. It still baffles me how a game can jump so far up in data size. About the equivalent to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5. If games are in this state where it's required to update your game before playing, imagine someone that doesn't have internet or playing the game for the first time 20+ years after the game's servers or the online service in general is offline.

• Upvote (+1) 5

For some reason I have an older version of H5 installed as well, so both H5's take up 200 GB of my HD space and I'm too lazy to delete them both and redownload everything. Don't really care though, as my Xbox is literally a Halo machine as all other games I play are available on PC.

• Upvote (+1) 5

We already don't have enough buttons. Gyro without an automatic recenter/recalibrate is ass. It's what makes Splatoon's aiming so goo.

We have plenty of buttons, they are just currently tied to things that need to be removed from the game.

I think you mean KB&M support. That's all you need to remove AA. Start selling Xboxes with a Microsoft made KB&M.

No, I don't mean that at all, people that play on consoles don't want to bother with kbm.

No console shooter does aiming better than splatoon- and you can play that without bringing a kbm to your living room.

Aim assist is not a necessity with gyro controls

We already don't have enough buttons. Gyro without an automatic recenter/recalibrate is ass. It's what makes Splatoon's aiming so goo.

I tried Splatoon, and while I was looking forward to playing with the Gyro controls, something about it felt suuuuper wrong.  I think it was that rather than tilting the controller side to side to turn, you rotated it like you were turning a steering wheel, and my brain just could not compensate.  I was also playing with the joycons, in tablet mode, on some beach house wifi, so I had everything else going against me as well.

Has anyone played any PC FPS with the Steam controller?  Its touch-pad-ish replacement for joysticks combined with gyro controls could probably make for some pretty precise non-kbm inputs.  I remember during the H2 days some company prototyped a trackball controller that replaced the aim stick, and I was really hoping that was the direction we would move in.

Here's a review on a trackball mod from the 360 days:  http://trackballer.com/2010/12/23/hands-on-review-the-trackball-controller-for-xbox-360/

I tried Splatoon, and while I was looking forward to playing with the Gyro controls, something about it felt suuuuper wrong. I think it was that rather than tilting the controller side to side to turn, you rotated it like you were turning a steering wheel, and my brain just could not compensate. I was also playing with the joycons, in tablet mode, on some beach house wifi, so I had everything else going against me as well.

Has anyone played any PC FPS with the Steam controller? Its touch-pad-ish replacement for joysticks combined with gyro controls could probably make for some pretty precise non-kbm inputs. I remember during the H2 days some company prototyped a trackball controller that replaced the aim stick, and I was really hoping that was the direction we would move in.

Here's a review on a trackball mod from the 360 days: http://trackballer.com/2010/12/23/hands-on-review-the-trackball-controller-for-xbox-360/

Splatoon is handles amazingly well, once you get the hang of it. You have to Develop the muscle memory recognize when to use gyro for fine adjustments and quick turns, and when to use the sticks to assist.

I haven’t used the steam controller, but There is plenty of footage of people doing well without aim assist. Much better than what’s possible with a standard controller.

Splatoon is handles amazingly well, once you get the hang of it. You have to Develop the muscle memory recognize when to use gyro for fine adjustments and quick turns, and when to use the sticks to assist.

I haven’t used the steam controller, but There is plenty of footage of people doing well without aim assist. Much better than what’s possible with a standard controller.

I refuse to play a competitive console shooter with gyro controls unless the open bracket chairs allow 360 degree turning. My ass was spinning and winning on Zelda in my office chair.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I refuse to play a competitive console shooter with gyro controls unless the open bracket chairs allow 360 degree turning. My ass was spinning and winning on Zelda in my office chair.

Haha if new chairs is the cost of progress, so be it.

Every Splatoon LAN I've attended had chairs that can spin 360 degrees.

But we don't use wireless controllers anymore, so that may raise some issues.

Mouse and keyboard isnt casual friendly.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Mouse and keyboard isnt casual friendly.

I know. But Aim assist is. I'm not saying we should go KB&M. I'm saying that if people REALLY hate aim assist that much then there's really no that good option. People playing casually probably don't even know how much aim assist helps them. They just think "it made me lock on the wrong guy".

The only reason I mentioned keyboard was because someone said they don't want to deal with aim assist. And that's pretty much a console shooter staple. Unless you wanna whirl and twirl in your seat which is somehow thought to be better lol.

We have plenty of buttons, they are just currently tied to things that need to be removed from the game.

No, I don't mean that at all, people that play on consoles don't want to bother with kbm.

No console shooter does aiming better than splatoon- and you can play that without bringing a kbm to your living room.

Aim assist is not a necessity with gyro controls

People who play on consoles don't give a shit if there's aim assist or not. It continues to amaze me the hoops people will jump through to avoid addressing the FACT that mouse aim is ideal for precision in shooters. If you want this to be taken seriously as a competitive game, mouse aim is what it needs, not increasingly convoluted systems for making analogue aiming marginally less garbage so you don't scare off the bronze casuals who hop on for a game of Super Fiesta every once in a while. I don't understand this obsession with compromising between two groups that want completely different things. You either want a meaningfully competitive shooter OR you play on a giant TV from your couch. There doesn't need to be overlap between the two.

​And Splatoon is a COMPLETELY different game with barely any focus at all on precision aiming or shooting skill. The notion that you could take that goofy control scheme, which might work for spewing paint around the map (I don't know, because I turned it the fuck off after a few minutes) and just slap it onto Halo is questionable at best. Have you actually played an FPS with a mouse?

• Downvote (-1) 1

People who play on consoles don't give a shit if there's aim assist or not. It continues to amaze me the hoops people will jump through to avoid addressing the FACT that mouse aim is ideal for precision in shooters. If you want this to be taken seriously as a competitive game, mouse aim is what it needs, not increasingly convoluted systems for making analogue aiming marginally less garbage so you don't scare off the bronze casuals who hop on for a game of Super Fiesta every once in a while. I don't understand this obsession with compromising between two groups that want completely different things. You either want a meaningfully competitive shooter OR you play on a giant TV from your couch. There doesn't need to be overlap between the two.

​And Splatoon is a COMPLETELY different game with barely any focus at all on precision aiming or shooting skill. The notion that you could take that goofy control scheme, which might work for spewing paint around the map (I don't know, because I turned it the fuck off after a few minutes) and just slap it onto Halo is questionable at best. Have you actually played an FPS with a mouse?

I disagree that nobody cares if there's aim assist or not, and I feel like basically everyone would care if it was just removed from console shooters. I don't think anybody's disputing the fact that M&KB is ideal for shooters, but that doesn't mean it's a necessity, especially not for a game like Halo that is known for its console play. Halo has been taken seriously in the past, and can be again in the future, and I believe that can be achieved with a controller. I don't think adding another paygap between casual and competitive players, (M&KB, a desk, etc) is necessarily the way to go, considering there already is in the form of Scuf's, headsets, and monitors. Meaningful shooters and casual couch games aren't mutually exclusive, see CE and H2 for examples. There is a happy median that can be reached between extreme aim assist/ magnetism and a lack of it, it's just not the garbage system we have now. I do however wholeheartedly agree that gyro controls are definitely not the solution, at least not for Halo.

I know. But Aim assist is. I'm not saying we should go KB&M. I'm saying that if people REALLY hate aim assist that much then there's really no that good option. People playing casually probably don't even know how much aim assist helps them. They just think "it made me lock on the wrong guy".

The only reason I mentioned keyboard was because someone said they don't want to deal with aim assist. And that's pretty much a console shooter staple. Unless you wanna whirl and twirl in your seat which is somehow thought to be better lol.

I really don't think many people care about aim assist that much.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Splatoon is hands down better than any console shooter ever in terms of aiming. It's not even close. And there's no need to whirl and twirl in your seat.

Splatoon is hands down better than any console shooter ever in terms of aiming. It's not even close. And there's no need to whirl and twirl in your seat.

Interesting

Obviously never played it

I disagree that nobody cares if there's aim assist or not, and I feel like basically everyone would care if it was just removed from console shooters. I don't think anybody's disputing the fact that M&KB is ideal for shooters, but that doesn't mean it's a necessity, especially not for a game like Halo that is known for its console play. Halo has been taken seriously in the past, and can be again in the future, and I believe that can be achieved with a controller. I don't think adding another paygap between casual and competitive players, (M&KB, a desk, etc) is necessarily the way to go, considering there already is in the form of Scuf's, headsets, and monitors. Meaningful shooters and casual couch games aren't mutually exclusive, see CE and H2 for examples. There is a happy median that can be reached between extreme aim assist/ magnetism and a lack of it, it's just not the garbage system we have now. I do however wholeheartedly agree that gyro controls are definitely not the solution, at least not for Halo.

They would care if it was gone, because they would suddenly realize how trash tier analogue aiming fundamentally is and frustrated by the new experience of being unable to hit the broad side of a barn without a built in aim bot. The reality, however, is that a lot of players, including people who take console shooters seriously, do not realize how big of a factor aim assists actually are, nor do they care about high levels of precision. They don't think about it until it becomes a problem for them.

​I don't actually have a problem with the casual couch experience for people who don't care. That's fine. They're welcome to do that. What annoys me is this bizarre fixation, driven mostly by fear of change, to justify the utility of casual couch controls for competitive play. What it suggests to me is that a sizable percentage Halo's competitive community doesn't actually care about the competitive integrity of the game. Instead, they're chasing nostalgia and seeking to relive the "good ol' days" of their console gaming youth. Which is why we're now discussing the merits of inconsistent burst weapon starts in H5 and have people complaining about accurate weapons being able to hit people across the map. Analogue aim is clearly shit and there's a reason there is only one vaguely relevant competitive console shooter out there right now: CoD. And that's only relevant because it's the biggest no-think shooter on the market.

​As far as the paygap goes. That's simple not true, to be frank. You can easily get a perfectly usable keyboard and mouse for less than the cost of one standard console controller at this point, let alone overpriced Scufs and Elite Controllers. Most people have desks and chairs. It's hardly adding some huge cost above beyond what tryhard console gamers are already paying.

What the fuck are you talking about bro?

Who said mouse aiming isn’t best? Who said anything about compromising competitive? I said I want gyro controls in my controller.

If they wanna make an esport out of kbm halo, more power to them. Doesn’t change the fact that i don’t want to bring a keyboard into my fucking living room. I do want the OPTION for a more precise way to aim with my Xbox controller though, since my switch has it.

Splatoon being a different style of game, doesn’t change the fact that the aiming is more precise than any other console game. And there is plenty of importance on shooting skill at higher levels of play. In fact, the lack of aim assist ALLOW for higher aimskill to shine.

The notion that a game can’t be competitive and still offer a precise option for players on their couches is moronic.

You can get a steam controller and ‘slap’ the control method onto games more similar to halo, and it’s still better than dual analog w/ aim assist. The difference in precision between dual analog and gyro isn’t “marginal”. It’s massive.

When you admittedly don’t know what you are talking about, because you haven’t played,why do you bother talking?

• Upvote (+1) 3