CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This may be a long shot, but:

Does anyone on here still play H5? Really wanting to get back into playing ranked.

Also, is anyone here in the West Virginia/Kentucky/Ohio area? Wanting to check out some Microsoft Store tournaments too.

The Halo 5 Arena Solo Queue Experience in a Nutshell....

Well I've just played my 20 placement matches in order to get a rank in both Team Arena and Team Slayer over the past couple of days.

Ended up in Diamond 1 in each playlist after 10 games which I guess isn't too bad considering I was playing on American host in nearly every game.

I had a few games with quitters but the vast majority all 8 players seemed to be trying to win the entire game. Out of those 20 games maybe 2 or 3 had quitters?

Funnily enough, it was one of the games where my team mates were in a party of 3 and one of them quit or got disconnected so to pretend it's only solo players that quit is just plain wrong.

This isn't really anything to do with solo queue and more to do with punishing leavers.

The game obviously doesn't punish people for quitting, or on the flip side, 343 needs to give people more incentives to finish games.

For example, punishing some players won't work. What can you do? If you ban them from joining another match made game for 15 minutes they're just gonna go grab a drink, grab some food and jump back on without caring, or they'll just turn off their Xbox and stop playing the game.

It's not really an effective punishment because the types of players to leave games probably don't care about jumping into another game straight away.

Probably a better method would be to HEAVILY penalise their rankings. IE, you lose an entire rank if you quit out of a game. If you quit out of multiple games in a short period take them down an entire division, eg. from Gold to Silver.

Another idea would be to incentivise people to finish games. How about... Actually giving people REQ points for playing Arena instead of giving you a few scraps? And then to take it further, ramp up the REQ rewards for finishing multiple games in a row. Every game you complete give players a 10% REQ point boost and then cap it at like 150% or something. There could even be some sort of legendary skin or something players could earn if they reach a mile stone. 50 games finished in a row without quitting. 100 games, 200, etc.

The way REQ points are handed out in arena right now is an absolute joke. I can finish 1st in an FFA game and get fuck all. I can finish my placement matches and end up in Diamond Division and I get nothing. Meanwhile, if I go into Warzone I can earn like 4X's the amount of REQ points in the same amount of time just by shooting players that can barely walk and aim at the same time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To chime in on the discussion about quitting, does everyone know that once any player quits, you can quit after without a penalty to rank or ban?

This was added a few months ago to help the players remaining in match. However, I do know that if you're leaving matches first, you get the 15 minute ban and a full loss of division within the rank.

Edit: But, yea, I too have noticed less quitters now than there were in the early life of the game and even back in early Summer. Maybe I'm just getting lucky, or the players that are left care more about rank, etc.

It's not a lifelike representation if she doesn't stand in front of your screen or disconnect you from your match whenever you even vaguely say something that sort of resembles "hey Cortana."

Dude my cortana triggers from people in party chat saying things that don't even sound like cortana.

Stop listening.

"Do you want me to search for that?"

No.

"Searching.."

*switches app from Halo to Microsoft edge.

Easily the most obnoxious voice assistant I've ever seen. It literally asks if you want to search for something and needs to only listen to the words "yes" or "No" and it still can't get it right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dude my cortana triggers from people in party chat saying things that don't even sound like cortana.

Stop listening.

No.

"Searching.."

Easily the most obnoxious voice assistant I've ever seen. It literally asks if you want to search for something and needs to only listen to the words "yes" or "No" and it still can't get it right.

I mean searching in W10 is a pain in the ass, some of the Microsoft apps crash sometimes when you use the search tool, what would you expect from something far more advanced developed by Microsoft? I want to kill myself every time I have to use One Drive, can't imagine how it is to live with a voice assistant as broken as that lol.

I have my Kinect diskinected because I don't need nadella starting at thermals of me in my underwear raging at H5

Stop listening.

No.

"Searching.."

Sounds like a solid assistant to me. "I see you are playing Halo 5 for some reason. Switching to Microsoft Edge instead." Thanks, Corntana.

Sounds like a solid assistant to me. "I see you are playing Halo 5 for some reason. Switching to Microsoft Edge instead." Thanks, Corntana.

You joke about it but it happens about once a week. I'm streaming the forgehub 1v1 contest lately because I'm a judge and it happened twice in the same session. Both times from someone in the party having their voice echo into my mic. So ridiculous.

Can't be bothered by Cortana when it is disabled on my Windows and not setup on my Xbox.

1498538734116256323.jpg

But honestly it is quite invasive.

Turning on Cortana while raiding in Destiny is like adding an extra challenge. You have to pray she doesn't trigger during a DPS phase.

Turning on Cortana while raiding in Destiny is like adding an extra challenge. You have to pray she doesn't trigger during a DPS phase.

Or at all during Trials.

Watching a bit of the tournament, does anyone remember pros windmilling this much in previous titles? Fucking broken ass aiming system.

Edit: Good god that last game was boring as fuck to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Watching a bit of the tournament, does anyone remember pros windmilling this much in previous titles? Fucking broken ass aiming system.

I've noticed that twitch sniping is a super common occurrence now. Bugs me when the crowd goes wild for getting a snapshot when the dude missed 2 previous shots from twitch sniping.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've noticed that twitch sniping is a super common occurrence now. Bugs me when the crowd goes wild for getting a snapshot when the dude missed 2 previous shots from twitch sniping.

They normally miss the shot that they get the kill with too.

• Upvote (+1) 7

They normally miss the shot that they get the kill with too.

I think Frosty hit two headshots in a row against Liquid when the player was sliding and he aimed entirely above their head. Like, no part of his reticle was touching any part of his body. Dude's hitbox just extended vertically above his body for some reason. It's so hard to get excited about it when it looks like a ridiculous miss.

One of the reasons I hate these abilities so much is that slide, clamber and especially GP fuck with hitboxes so much. "Oh the guy trying to Ground Pound you is one shot and you just meleed him? Tough luck, you die and he takes literally zero damage"

I think Frosty hit two headshots in a row against Liquid when the player was sliding and he aimed entirely above their head. Like, no part of his reticle was touching any part of his body. Dude's hitbox just extended vertically above his body for some reason. It's so hard to get excited about it when it looks like a ridiculous miss.

Yeah, when every player's Wesley fucking Gibson it just gets ridiculous. It's honestly baffling hearing people getting excited, as well. Like, man. It's a no scope. With a sniper. That you don't need to be aiming at someone's body to get the hit. Chill out.

Just wait for Dallas Team Fule.  We should go to a match they have in Dallas.