CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

New Topic.

Completely new weapon to the franchise; a Hook Shot Gun. You could make it part of the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunner, whatever (UNSC would make the most sense cuz human ingenuity).

When fired at a wall, it'll connect with a loud clank, and draw you in quickly. When fired at a player, they lose half their shields, and are drawn toward the shooter for a melee follow-up. The damaged player has a chance to fire shots and throw grenades at the shooter and/or other players for a potential reversal/trade. When fired at another weapon, you'll snag it in seconds.

Extra movement available via a Power Weapon, with deeper meta if players learn the ins and outs of the Hook Shot. Thoughts?

I feel like that's different enough to add to the sandbox and not be redundant shit and also safe enough as a weapon to just remove/tweak at will. Its a safe play for the developer that either turns out bad and is turned off or adds a new element to gameplay. Really they can't lose as long as they're prepared to pull the plug should it come out bad and obviously they'll need to be ready to tweak maps once players figure out how to climb into the ceiling somewhere stupid.

New Topic.

Completely new weapon to the franchise; a Hook Shot Gun. You could make it part of the UNSC, Covenant, Forerunner, whatever (UNSC would make the most sense cuz human ingenuity).

When fired at a wall, it'll connect with a loud clank, and draw you in quickly. When fired at a player, they lose half their shields, and are drawn toward the shooter for a melee follow-up. The damaged player has a chance to fire shots and throw grenades at the shooter and/or other players for a potential reversal/trade. When fired at another weapon, you'll snag it in seconds.

Extra movement available via a Power Weapon, with deeper meta if players learn the ins and outs of the Hook Shot. Thoughts?

I like the movement and power weapon snagging abilities. Not sure about the damage though. Can the hooked player shoot and nade while being pulled or is there a stun that turns it into a "boom you're dead" ability like Roadhog's hook in Overwatch? Also, how fast do you imagine the player being pulled and how far can you throw it?

I feel like that's different enough to add to the sandbox and not be redundant shit and also safe enough as a weapon to just remove/tweak at will. Its a safe play for the developer that either turns out bad and is turned off or adds a new element to gameplay. Really they can't lose as long as they're prepared to pull the plug should it come out bad and obviously they'll need to be ready to tweak maps once players figure out how to climb into the ceiling somewhere stupid.

Not redundant? It is functionally identical to the Energy Sword. Energy Sword pulls you to your enemy. Grappling Hook pulls your enemy to you. What new does this weapon bring to the table? Pulling weapons towards you? Already accomplishable with grenades. I don't see anything that doesn't already exist. Spidermanning is about the only unique use of this "weapon".

• Downvote (-1) 3

If halo has ALWAYS had shit MM how did you even become a hardcore fan and how did you even play the game?

Custom games?

That's like saying Halo 1 didn't have online play so how did I enjoy the game?

I went to LAN's. I went to tournaments. I played on XBC.

Halo 2 didn't have a proper MLG playlist. How did I enjoy the game? I played customs because I didn't give a shit about a number next to my name.

While people were bragging about their Halo 2 online rank I was busy actually winning tournaments.

Don't get me wrong, I think match making is important, but I'd much rather foster an environment that encourages people to form their own communities. Right now Halo just doesn't have a sense of community.

The experience in Halo 5 right now is:

Unplug your headset.

Go into match making.

Don't care if you win or lose, either way you rank up, unlocks REQ's, etc.

End the game and immediately start up the next game.

In Halo 2 you had the proximity chat which encouraged shit talking and plenty of hilarious moments like sneaking up on people and screaming profanities before you butchered them with the sword.

You had trash talk in post-game lobbies.

Pretty much every single person you ran into was using a microphone, generally the only people that didn't speak were guest accounts.

And people wonder why Halo is dying. Because there's little incentive to play Halo over all the other FPS on the market, especially when the competition is actually good now, unlike the crap that was released on console back in the day.

What would bring people back to Halo is a community. I've gone from being one of the best in the country and playing with players that were terrible in customs, to being merely average at the game and playing customs with some of the best.

If I went 5-16 do you think I really cared that much? As long as the people I was playing with were cool I had a good time regardless of whether I went positive or negative. When I lost the free time to play at the highest level what kept me playing Halo was the community and the friendships I had formed over the years.

FFS, I had some of the best players in Australia stay at my house for a pre-LAN for Halo 3. My team was AWFUL compared to them. We must have played like 30 scrims on LAN or something and we won a SINGLE GAME that entire weekend - One of those players was Adz - a player that actually played in the Halo 5 HCS and is still a top player today.

We didn't give a shit because we had fun, we ate junk food, we had some drinks and we trash talked each other.

This idea that every single match making game has to be 100% even for players to enjoy it is rubbish. It's freakin' online match making, there's just too many variables that go into it for it to ever truly be considered "fair".

Should it be the best it can be? Sure.

Do I agree with dynamic match making that would allow party restrictions? OF COURSE I DO.

Does anyone here honestly think I'm arguing against party restrictions all together just because I'm trying to be a contrarian?

I'm simply stating the facts.

I haven't checked Halo 5's stats recently, but when I wrote that article I linked before it was December 2016. At that time Halo 5 had around 20,000 players online within a 24 hour period. I can't imagine they've improved since then over the past year.

If you honestly think that sort of player base can support party restrictions in a single region, in a single playlist - you are delusional.

If Halo 5 had 100,000 people playing every 24 hours then by all means, add in party restrictions and whatever the hell else you want to in order to balance match making, but the fact is, Halo's current population CAN NOT SUPPORT IT.

If it COULD support it - it would have happened already. 343's actions speak for themselves. Do you think they're incapable of implementing that sort of system?

When Halo 6 is first released I hope 343 does a much better job with match making. I hope they make it less skill restrictive for people in regions with lower populations. I hope they have party restrictions as long as wait times aren't too long in select regions with higher populations. I hope they allow cross-region play for the times I want to jump into BTB and I don't really care about a bit of lag, but then let me turn it off when I want to play serious. I hope they allow us to queue for multiple playlists like quite a few games have had recently.

Seems most of you are just completely missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying there SHOULDN'T be party restrictions in match making. I'm saying there CAN'T be party restrictions in match making - And I'm not talking about the Oceanic region. I'm talking about North America. 20,000 players WORLD WIDE in 24 hours is abysmal for a Halo game after a year.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I like the movement and power weapon snagging abilities. Not sure about the damage though. Can the hooked player shoot and nade while being pulled or is there a stun that turns it into a "boom you're dead" ability like Roadhog's hook in Overwatch? Also, how fast do you imagine the player being pulled and how far can you throw it?

"The damaged player has a chance to fire shots and throw grenades at the shooter and/or other players for a potential reversal/trade."

I got the idea for the weapon watching an old James Bond FPS on the Gamecube/Playstation (Agent Under Fire). There was a gadget that fired Hooks that led you towards other parts of the map and damaged players, so imagine that same speed with the Hook Shot Gun.

Here's an old video I managed to find.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Snip

Does anyone here honestly think I'm arguing against party restrictions all together just because I'm trying to be a contrarian?

I'm simply stating the facts.

I haven't checked Halo 5's stats recently, but when I wrote that article I linked before it was December 2016. At that time Halo 5 had around 20,000 players online within a 24 hour period. I can't imagine they've improved since then over the past year.

If you honestly think that sort of player base can support party restrictions in a single region, in a single playlist - you are delusional.

If Halo 5 had 100,000 people playing every 24 hours then by all means, add in party restrictions and whatever the hell else you want to in order to balance match making, but the fact is, Halo's current population CAN NOT SUPPORT IT.

If it COULD support it - it would have happened already. 343's actions speak for themselves. Do you think they're incapable of implementing that sort of system?

When Halo 6 is first released I hope 343 does a much better job with match making. I hope they make it less skill restrictive for people in regions with lower populations. I hope they have party restrictions as long as wait times aren't too long in select regions with higher populations. I hope they allow cross-region play for the times I want to jump into BTB and I don't really care about a bit of lag, but then let me turn it off when I want to play serious. I hope they allow us to queue for multiple playlists like quite a few games have had recently.

Seems most of you are just completely missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying there SHOULDN'T be party restrictions in match making. I'm saying there CAN'T be party restrictions in match making - And I'm not talking about the Oceanic region. I'm talking about North America. 20,000 players WORLD WIDE in 24 hours is abysmal for a Halo game after a year.

You aren't really stating any facts. You are just using irrelevant data to support your nonsensical claim.

Decembers 2016's population has no bearing on whether or not Halo 5 should support party matching. Halo 5 launched in October 9, 2015. It is on this day that the game should have launched with a matchmaking system that considered party size. Perhaps if the MM experience wasn't unbearable, then more people would have been playing it when you wrote your article.

The notion that if Party matching COULD be supported it would be is pure logical fallacy. It's not that 343 is incapable of doing it- they just didn't do it. To try to extract reasoning from the fact that it's excluded is like arguing that we can't trade weapons because 343 wants to punish teams who have bad snipers. Should we concluded that Juggernaut was excluded because they can't do it?

At the end of the day, there is no population too small to have a party matching parameter. All you have to do is make the program Flexible enough to remove restrictions if wait times are suffering.

Edit: I also doubt H5 was only getting 20k unique users a day in Dec 2016. Today, Battlefront is peaking at 8.5K players a day- so it likely has over 20k unique players a day. And H5 is more popular than Battlefront is. How were you scraping your data?

• Upvote (+1) 1

"The damaged player has a chance to fire shots and throw grenades at the shooter and/or other players for a potential reversal/trade."

I got the idea for the weapon watching an old James Bond FPS on the Gamecube/Playstation (Agent Under Fire). There was a gadget that fired Hooks that led you towards other parts of the map and damaged players, so imagine that same speed with the Hook Shot Gun.

This guy is one of the people that think the AR needs to be strong so they can get kills

That was a fun game but some of the mechanics that I'm not sure if they show in the video include that the grapple in that game wasn't a weapon it was its own ability and that if you didn't release the button you could stick yourself to any wall/ceiling more or less indefinitely 

• Upvote (+1) 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4kL-7eOhW0

That game looks pretty fun not gonna lie. Alright I get it now. You might want to increase the damage to full shields though if it pulls that slow and the victim can shoot, otherwise it's not really feasible to go for hooks besides hooking objective carriers or launching people off the map.

That was a fun game but some of the mechanics that I'm not sure if they show in the video include that the grapple in that game wasn't a weapon it was its own ability and that if you didn't release the button you could stick yourself to any wall/ceiling more or less indefinitely 

Nice to see others enjoyed this game as well. I know exactly what you are talking about. I think that dock was my favorite level but there was some circular castle that I remember you could grapple up to a sniper and camp there.

Man I loved grappling everywhere in that game. This game and Nightfire were so good.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Frag Grenades now have less explosive radius, and Splinters are now Area Denial.

Random Spread on the BR has been decreased.

Gunfighter has faster draw and reload speed, and random recoil is now decreased.

AR is weaker, but more accurate.

Railgun's charge is slightly decreased.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Been out of the loop for a while. What is going on with the H5 weapon balancing? Are the changes going to be applied to HCS? Where can I see an official full list?

Been out of the loop for a while. What is going on with the H5 weapon balancing? Are the changes going to be applied to HCS? Where can I see an official full list?

The changes are going to be added across the board in the November 7 patch. The list above yours is everything they've actually finalized/told us about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The changes are going to be added across the board in the November 7 patch. The list above yours is everything they've actually finalized/told us about.

Thanks! That's going to be interesting in a comp environment. Hope to see an organized list of changes from them on Waypoint at some point.

I think CTF could be fun on a couple of the maps. At least Warzone maps wouldn't lag like shitty forge maps we're stuck with now. And it wouldn't be a total unbalanced clusterfuck that Warzone is.

Just a joke, anyway.