CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Frankly, grenades have offered almost nothing at all interesting in any Halo game after CE. They just happen to be at their most obnoxious in H5 and worse when you remove the movement gimmicks and slow down the BMS for no reason.

I thought spike grenades were fun. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought spike grenades were fun. 

Spike grenades were pretty much "get a stick or die" though. But the "knife through armor into flesh" sound when you got one was sweet.

I thought H4's pulse grenades were good. Certainly much better than splinters are currently.  Though maybe how bad splinters are just makes the pulse nades good by comparison.

Spike grenades were pretty much "get a stick or die" though. But the "knife through armor into flesh" sound when you got one was sweet.

I thought H4's pulse grenades were good. Certainly much better than splinters are currently. Though maybe how bad splinters are just makes the pulse nades good by comparison.

They were okay as a pickup. You put yourself at a huge disadvantage by choosing them in a loadout though. It was kinda fun training myself to finish with pulses instead of initiating with them. WAY more effective that way.

I never really felt like new grenade types were worthwhile, or distinct enough to be in the game. Like, at the end of the day, be it Spike grenades, Flame, or Splinter, you basically use them the same way you would a Plasma Grenade where you throw it with the intent of hitting the enemy head on, and killing them in one shot.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How?

The way spikes behaved in a tight space is pretty awesome, The way they bounce around and if you're in that area your getting damaged.

I kinda like the idea of tweaking them so spikes have longer damage fall off, ricochet a little more and explode outwards in tight cone from the point of impact with each spike very little individual damage.

so it's like a "scattergun" grenade that is explodes out in a very directional cone, which can be used to send the spikes into a room/corridor from a completely different angle

So the Grenade would hit that wall then fire a cone of spikes down a corridor.

Eg your at snipe on Chill Out and an opponent is hiding round the corner in corridor to Rocket jump. You throw the new spike grenade on the wall perpendicular to that corridor and the spikes will travel down that corridor, damaging/killing him.

Those spikes would then travel into the big room, embed on the opposite wall leaving an outline of the Spartan who just got a hundred new body piercings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How?

I loved the way the direction-ally exploded off walls.  I almost always used them with walls.  Never actually went for body sticks with them.  They are WAAAAAY better than splinters when it comes to area of denial.  In the end though, C.E. nades are my fave.  Alls you need is good frag and a good plasma.  Spikes would just be my runner up if 343 insisted on having more than two nade types. 

off topic for djentleman:

The way spikes behaved in a tight space is pretty awesome, The way they bounce around and if you're in that area your getting damaged.

I kinda like the idea of tweaking them so spikes have longer damage fall off, ricochet a little more and explode outwards in tight cone from the point of impact with each spike very little individual damage.

so it's like a "scattergun" grenade that is explodes out in a very directional cone, which can be used to send the spikes into a room/corridor from a completely different angle

So the Grenade would hit that wall then fire a cone of spikes down a corridor.

Eg your at snipe on Chill Out and an opponent is hiding round the corner in corridor to Rocket jump. You throw the new spike grenade on the wall perpendicular to that corridor and the spikes will travel down that corridor, damaging/killing him.

Those spikes would then travel into the big room, embed on the opposite wall leaving an outline of the Spartan who just got a hundred new body piercings.

I loved the way the direction-ally exploded off walls.  I almost always used them with walls.  Never actually went for body sticks with them.  They are WAAAAAY better than splinters when it come to area of denial.  In the end though, C.E. nades are my fave.  Alls you need is good frag and a good plasma.  Spikes would just be my runner up if 343 insisted on having more than two nade types. 

off topic for djentleman:

I think they're still pretty useless against any player with a brain and thumbs but hey, to each their own lol

What if, if you crouched in the air, you began to fast fall? I feel like this would add more depth. Been playing a lot of super smash bros melee lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What if, if you crouched in the air, you began to fast fall? I feel like this would add more depth. Been playing a lot of super smash bros melee lol.

only if there is clamber. otherwise Crouch jumping will suck ass

You could do this in H2. I used to fuck people up on Midship and Lockout doing this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

only if there is clamber. otherwise Crouch jumping will suck ass

What did clamber have to do with his post? If crouch jumping was actually useful like it used to be, the need for clamber wouldn't be relevant. I don't think you understand what he's referring to lol.

You could do this in H2. I used to fuck people up on Midship and Lockout doing this.

BS.. The H2 BR is the easiest gun in shooter history it's not possible to outshoot people with it. Trash game  :kappa:  

• Upvote (+1) 3

What did clamber have to do with his post? If crouch jumping was actually useful like it used to be, the need for clamber wouldn't be relevant. I don't think you understand what he's referring to lol.

He means if you need to crouch jump to hit high jumps like in old Halo games, but the moment you hit crouch you plummet to the earth, crouch jumping wouldn't work and you'd need clamber.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If it's a super fast fall that shit would be abused to hell and back. But if it's only a slightly faster fall it could be decent. Don't put it on crouch and mess with my ghandi hopping though ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just being able to short hop like in melee (smaller jump for tapping jump button) would be awesome. There's a lot of instances where I don't want to jump super high onto a small ledge when I am running around the map.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just being able to short hop like in melee (smaller jump for tapping jump button) would be awesome. There's a lot of instances where I don't want to jump super high onto a small ledge when I am running around the map.

Call it the dotard hop.  I like it. 

He means if you need to crouch jump to hit high jumps like in old Halo games, but the moment you hit crouch you plummet to the earth, crouch jumping wouldn't work and you'd need clamber.

They could work simultaneously. Like for instance in Smash, you could only do the fast fall at the height of your jump (likewise for short hop). You couldn't just do it whenever. The premise could work the same because when you crouch jump in H2, you crouch jump before reaching the height of your jump (see Ring 3 jump on Sanc).

• Upvote (+1) 1

why not use the jump button to fast fall at the apex of your jump rather than crouch as it isn't being used.

You've done it. You fuckin' did it. The most powerful tool in arena

fps technology since Gandhi Hopping dude. Oh my God, inward jumping.

Check it out it's an invention, and it makes non-stop jumping possible.

Think about it man! Master Chiefs are only jumping jukeing you half the time! The other

time there the the falling, down! But not anymore baby! Not with inward jumping

check it out

• Upvote (+1) 2

Perhaps tapping jump would send out a hologram jump, and holding jump with your chin would do a real jump.

Sounds like opportunity to make holograms skillful and useful

Perhaps tapping jump would send out a hologram jump, and holding jump with your chin would do a real jump.

The jump button isn't what I'm going to be holding against your chin.

• Upvote (+1) 7

We should try to come up with a list of things to tell the sandbox team at 343i to see if any of it is possible. Here's my list of ideas:

-Thrusting out of melee lunges

-Jump-falling melees register right away

-Fast fall 

-Fast strafe acceleration 

-Quiet footsteps (except if really really close)

-Short jumps

-Instasploding stickies

-Grenading all weapons to you with all types of grenades.

-Shorten Spawn-blocking influence by half (this would make it play a bit more chaotically and reaction based instead of forcing a spawn everytime. Think H2).

• Upvote (+1) 1