CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The hologram in its current iterations is next to useless against competent players.

Correct. And making its behavior and properties more convincing probably wouldn't make it any more skillful- just more effective. It would just go from being useless to being cheap.

Please keep political stuff out of here, and please chill with the insults.

Open warning to all.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'll repost:

H3 playlist has a lot of flaws, but now that shield recharge has been fixed to a more reasonable time, the playlist is for the most part very good, and offers a Halo-y feel that we haven't had for some time. I'm thoroughly enjoying despite its flaws.

For those that haven't played it yet:

Cons: Easy starting weapon, slow movement speed, bad game types (Oddball Highground, CTF Guardian, and a lot of also-ran maps like Ghost Town and not enough Pit Narrows Construct Guardian), bad spawns on some maps (mostly High Ground), and the Ghost on Isolation is OP with these movement settings. Some people also have frame drop problems but it's been okay for me.

Pros: H3-ish gameplay with a gun that shoots straight and registers, no bullshit equipment, static weapon/item times, no spartan abilities. Just bare bones, simple Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Could it be that this playlist is very popular? I'm literally spending 5s in between matches, this has never happened before.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The hologram in its current iterations is next to useless against competent players.

Do you think that if there weren't obvious give aways, like a gamertag not appearing above the Hologram, that it would be more effective? Are there any other ways you would modify Hologram?

I'd make it so you could deploy hologram in any direction. It could side step and move backwards, or even stand idle. It will also shoot phantom bullets and have shield flare. The only give would be no red reticle.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd make it so you could deploy hologram in any direction. It could side step and move backwards, or even stand idle. It will also shoot phantom bullets and have shield flare. The only give would be no red reticle.

I agree with no aim assist or bullet magnetism on a Hologram but I think no red reticle would be too obvious. I don't want to make a tool that fucks with your enemy's aim but I think it should appear as a real player in all other circumstances, red reticle included.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll repost:

H3 playlist has a lot of flaws, but now that shield recharge has been fixed to a more reasonable time, the playlist is for the most part very good, and offers a Halo-y feel that we haven't had for some time. I'm thoroughly enjoying despite its flaws.

For those that haven't played it yet:

Cons: Easy starting weapon, slow movement speed, bad game types (Oddball Highground, CTF Guardian, and a lot of also-ran maps like Ghost Town and not enough Pit Narrows Construct Guardian), bad spawns on some maps (mostly High Ground), and the Ghost on Isolation is OP with these movement settings. Some people also have frame drop problems but it's been okay for me.

Pros: H3-ish gameplay with a gun that shoots straight and registers, no bullshit equipment, static weapon/item times, no spartan abilities. Just bare bones, simple Halo.

Just to clarify - on waypoint it only lists guardian, pit, isolation, boundless, citadel, high ground, and ghost town. Are narrows and construct in the rotation? I pretty much only want to play narrows, pit, construct and guardian; I don’t see myself re-installing for boundless ctf...

reposting too:

This playlist reminds me a lot of the CE Anniversary playlist in Reach that I put hundreds of hours in. It's nothing like the original, it has glaring flaws, but it's the most fun Matchmaking experience to be had. I would take a watered down remake of classic Halo over modern gimmick Halo any day of the week. The playlist has laggy-ass remakes of some of the worst H3 maps and I'm still relieved to know that neither Fathom nor Eden, Overgrowth or Molten can show up in this playlist.

Inb4 343 removes it in two weeks.

• Upvote (+1) 5

reposting too:

This playlist reminds me a lot of the CE Anniversary playlist in Reach that I put hundreds of hours in. It's nothing like the original, it has glaring flaws, but it's the most fun Matchmaking experience to be had. I would take a watered down remake of classic Halo over modern gimmick Halo any day of the week. The playlist has laggy-ass remakes of some of the worst H3 maps and I'm still relieved to know that neither Fathom nor Eden, Overgrowth or Molten can show up in this playlist.

I miss Anniversary BTB in Reach. Loved the neat contrast between the 3 shot magnum, and the pinpoint accurate but weaker DMR.

I honestly feel like if you replace the BR with the magnum in the classic playlist, half of my complaints would be gone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you think that if there weren't obvious give aways, like a gamertag not appearing above the Hologram, that it would be more effective? Are there any other ways you would modify Hologram?

Look, the more effective you make hologram, the more cheesey it gets too. you're going to turn it into the Protoss Photon Cannon Rush of Halo.

reposting too:

If they increase base speed back to 100% and get the re-retuned BR (no random spread) in there it could be pretty good.

Just to clarify - on waypoint it only lists guardian, pit, isolation, boundless, citadel, high ground, and ghost town. Are narrows and construct in the rotation? I pretty much only want to play narrows, pit, construct and guardian; I don’t see myself re-installing for boundless ctf...

No they aren't unfortunately. I asked about it on reddit, apparently they have great versions of Narrows/Construct/Heretic but they weren't included because of frame rate drops. 

And I would accept frame rate drops to play these maps but others will not it seems.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No they aren't unfortunately. I asked about it on reddit, apparently they have great versions of Narrows/Construct/Heretic but they weren't included because of frame rate drops.

And I would accept frame rate drops to play these maps but others will not it seems.

The Frame Rate was probably beyond playable for those one TBH.

I would like to see new additions to the playlist adding entirely new maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The map selections are depressingly similar to MCC team slayer selections for H3. Sorry, the good maps don’t work (techincal problem). Classic 343 - just not quite right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What are the changes on the re-tuned BR?

more recoil, random spread and slower rate of fire.

Using the powerups in the H3 playlist makes me question again why 343 decided to do the animation. The instant powerup should've never been removed.

I'm also not liking this new Social MMR change. It's good against parties, but it's making finding games in the early hours a marathon in BTB.

Please tell me there's a way to get the instant powerups, static spawns on all items and the Oddball gametype outside of this playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with no aim assist or bullet magnetism on a Hologram but I think no red reticle would be too obvious. I don't want to make a tool that fucks with your enemy's aim but I think it should appear as a real player in all other circumstances, red reticle included.

I think aim assist and everything should stay the same but the reticle just won't be red. IMO that's a very fair give.

Can you explain to me how you tell the difference between a real player who runs past a doorway you are watching and a Hologram who runs past a doorway you are watching; especially in no sprint gametypes? How did you develop this skill to instantly determine which one is real and which one isn't?

I haven't played a lot of matches in any Halo games with holograms, but I can imagine it is easy to spot the difference because of several reasons. Good players pretty much always have an idea of where you are, and you always have a pretty good idea of where they are, and so a good player most likely wouldn't run past a doorway without looking at you, while a hologram would.  The decision in just running past a doorway in itself is questionable and suspicious in high level game play. Is there incentive for a good player to actually do that? If not, you might already there know the spartan is a hologram. 

Please tell me there's a way to get the instant powerups, static spawns on all items and the Oddball gametype outside of this playlist.

If there is, my evolve buddies have some rev-ing to do. 

• Upvote (+1) 1