CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

These spawning issues did not appear in extensive testing, so i don't know what more we could do. These things usually only show up after the maps are released into the wild. In most cases we copy/pasted the respawn zones right from Guardian, and well, they work fine there.

37064799240_37fbe40a3a_o.png dan

36611326744_0a4965bf62_o.pngdan

Actually just dropped in to let you know that we did get static timed weapons working in time for this playlist. If you want to feature them on your forge maps i will be making a tut later this week.

Also, i know you guys love to bash all things but please give this playlist a shot. A high population in a 'no spartan abilities' playlist can send the signals you have been trying to send for years. Don't give up on it because one very specific detail puts you off. Also, i will ask about the shields.

I appreciate the hard work. But it seems like whenever there is a chance to validate classic gameplay, there's some wrench thrown in to ruin the experience.

"let's give them halo 3 maps, but let's give them a starting weapon tuned to Halo 5's movement speed and abilities. If they don't like it, they don't like halo 3."

I can live with the spawns, but the H5 BR is OP on H5 maps... and this is what they give use on H3 sized maps?

I was watching the 343 stream for the 10th anniversary of H3 (I find it funny that they're playing H5 forged maps instead of H3 BC lol) and someone actually spent the time to remake Isolation lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was watching the 343 stream for the 10th anniversary of H3 (I find it funny that they're playing H5 forged maps instead of H3 BC lol) and someone actually spent the time to remake Isolation lol.

Well H5 does have 60 fps and your shots actually connect.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Spawns need fixed, framerate drops on all of the maps I've played so far, and the shield recharge delay is a bit much (This is a great solution for discouraging players from sprinting around, but it's too much and the playlist doesn't even feature sprint). Hopefully the tuning patch will get the BR to a better state so it's a more suitable starting weapon for this playlist and get the AR to a point it's not on even ground with the BR in a lot of engagements.

I like the playlist and I'm sure I'll play it every once in a while when I'm feeling a break from sweaty games, but I definitely still prefer the current HCS settings.

I can live with the spawns, but the H5 BR is OP on H5 maps... and this is what they give use on H3 sized maps?

If i'm not mistaken this is just the first iteration of this playlist.

If population numbers are up we may see other classic experiences represented.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Classic 343 logic here for you, Nokyard.

Insert generic phrase along the line "if population numbers are up/if there is demand"

But then reality hits and it turns out that 343 once again releases pure shit, which guarantees that no one would want to play this refuse of a playlist, leading 343 to think that "Classic" Halo is just not that popular and no longer in demand.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

just won my first classic playlist match 3v4, had 24 kills lol. 

Just lost mine because the game ended 30 seconds after I joined it. Almost 2 years later and 343 still won't fix JIP..

This playlist is eerily similar to the kind of garbage I would conceive if I was actively trying to make "classic" Halo look bad with some handy low population figures to go with it. If only there were multiple heavily tested "classic" community game types and map pools that would offer a better experience. Alas, 343 must instead throw nonsensical changes like slower movement speed and decade-long shield recharge times at the wall to see if they will stick. And we get to play on remakes of maps like High Ground as well! Fantastic!

​I'm truly impressed by the amount of time it has taken them to release this first iteration of such unparalleled quality! Perfectly inline with my predictions.

:walshy:

I used to enjoy visiting this place.

I used to enjoy playing Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well H5 does have 60 fps and your shots actually connect.

And yet people still complain about hit reg.

This playlist is eerily similar to the kind of garbage I would conceive if I was actively trying to make "classic" Halo look bad with some handy low population figures to go with it. If only there were multiple heavily tested "classic" community game types and map pools that would offer a better experience. Alas, 343 must instead throw nonsensical changes like slower movement speed and decade-long shield recharge times at the wall to see if they will stick. And we get to play on remakes of maps like High Ground as well! Fantastic!

​I'm truly impressed by the amount of time it has taken them to release this first iteration of such unparalleled quality! Perfectly inline with my predictions.

:walshy:

I used to enjoy playing Halo.

tenor.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've seen people praising 343 for creating/announcing a Halo 3 playlist.

Why though. It's going to be fucking awful.

Game is designed purely around the Spartan Abilities and to make it easier to play against them. Removing them is only going to make these design decisions more obvious. Grenades are going to be ridiculous without the ability to thrust away from the massive blast radius they know have because thrust exists. Perfect kills are going to be incredibly easy with the aim assist and bullet magnetism the game has to compensate for people thrusting to avoid them. And the sandbox itself is completely fucked and would never work. Automatics are ridiculous now, and the only defense against them is again, thrust. Without thrust and the ease of use of automatics, you are going to get totally fucked in every encounter against one. It's hard enough to fight 1v1 against someone with an SMG using a magnum. Winning it normally comes down to a well timed thrust.

No Thrust, no chance to win these.

Don't get me started on the sniper rifle. That shit's so easy to use, even against thrusting opponents. Its going to be ridiculous with it when no one can hope to avoid the heat seeking bullets it fires.

A lot of excitement for a playlist that is going to play like shit because Halo 5's sandbox is just not designed for game play without thrust.

Fucking called it guys. I'm impressed that they went further with fucking it up by ensuring spawns sucked and recharge rate was far to long.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the playlist, but The Pit in this game perfectly demonstrates absolutely everything wrong with both The Pit as a map, and Halo 5's sniper.

• Upvote (+1) 2

H3 playlist is the best thing created in Halo 5. weapon ease of use doesnt bug me the classic movement and tight map design show how fun Halo 5's engine can actually be when there isnt trash everywhere. there's nothing about weapon balance thats going to change until the november update. So i dont expect anything balanced to anal measure but i expect something that plays and flows better than Halo 5 using classic settings and it does that fine. Honestly it sure beats Halo 3 at 24 frames per second, Mega Halo X, or The Master Chief Cancer

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

H3 playlist is the best thing created in Halo 5. weapon ease of use doesnt bug me the classic movement and tight map design show how fun Halo 5's engine can actually be when there isnt trash everywhere. there's nothing about weapon balance thats going to change until the november update. So i dont expect anything balanced to anal measure but i expect something that plays and flows better than Halo 5 using classic settings and it does that fine. Honestly it sure beats Halo 3 at 24 frames per second, Mega Halo X, or The Master Chief Cancer

Keep it down there, will ya?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

High Ground Slayer will spawn you right next to enemies if you are anywhere near the cliff/shotgun area. This is such a joke so far. How did it take THIS long to make something this bad? They didn't even make the fucking maps!

All they had to do was download a bunch of Forge remakes,turn off SAs and ask the community what the fan favorite gametypes were.

Or even easier, get in touch with the Evolved or Classic settings people who actually know what they are doing and will literally hand it over on a silver plate for free.

Instead they go full 343 and give us this thrash. I mean (full tinfoil) at this point it's obvious they want to make classic Halo look as bad as possible. No one "accidentally" fucks up MCC, the CE Throwback playlist and now this. "the playlist might stay and get updated if the population is good" lmao. Good luck with that if the playlist is dead on arrival.

And Nokt, I really feel for you Forgers who spend hundreds of hours perfecting these maps and then 343 screws you over by fucking with spawn zones and using the worst possible settings in the game. And you of course have good intentions telling the 20 people in this thread to play this playlist to give 343 a sign that classic Halo is still in demand. But if 343 releases thrash like this, thousands of players will play no more than ONE match and then never touch the playlist again. First impressions matter, this is a lesson 343 has yet to learn.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I get that. But it's a weird proposition : if enough people suffer through this decidedly anti-classic experience, then we might improve it down the line.

Seems to me like the obvious thing to do would be to delive an experience that captures the esssence of classic gameplay, and use THOSE numbers to see if expansion is worth it.

Like I said man, I really appreciate the hard work forgers put into it. i feel like the tools were used to the best of their capabilities. I'm just disappointed.

impressions weigh more on population numbers than demand. If people aren't enjoying themselves, they won't play it- even if they have an interest in classic gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think you are understanding. You send your Hologram to the edge of cover so it is just standing there, appearing as if it is looking out. A Hologram running in a straight line has nothing to do with that scenario.

You would shoot an enemy who you thought took one step too far out of cover, wouldn't you? Or are you omniscient and would automatically know that it was a Hologram and not a real enemy?

So your current argument is that by making something even more niche than the original argument, its now also more "worth it"? That doesn't even make sense.

What you're describing is another very specific, very contrived scenario. The fact that these are the kind of scenarios you have to come up with to prove your point really just shows that you don't have a good point.

So your current argument is that by making something even more niche than the original argument, its now also more "worth it"? That doesn't even make sense.

What you're describing is another very specific, very contrived scenario. The fact that these are the kind of scenarios you have to come up with to prove your point really just shows that you don't have a good point.

I feel a little silly sitting here and explaining to you how to use Hologram because it seems so obvious to me but here it goes. Here's a previous post listing a few unique uses of Hologram.

1. Bait a sniper into firing at a Hologram to reveal his location via contrails

2. Cause an enemy to adjust his aim right before you move through a choke point like a doorway allowing you to get the first shot on someone who was expecting you

3. Condition an enemy to think you are just a Hologram running forward

4. Create confusion in a hill zone

That's four unique uses for Hologram right there.

I feel a little silly sitting here and explaining to you how to use Hologram because it seems so obvious to me but here it goes. Here's a previous post listing a few unique uses of Hologram.

Everybody here feels the same way about you.  Explaining repeatedly how your contrived/niche examples are actually proving our point.  Every argument you give trying to support hologram as a mechanic actually does the opposite considering that every time, the odds of success are marginal at best and have a good chance of actually putting the person who sent the hologram at a disadvantage in scenarios that are not incredibly likely anyway.  No matter how many theoretical scenarios you dream up, existing mechanics like OS and Camo are infinitely more flexible.  A new power up like Haste actually has some potential efficacy and should be explorer.  Hologram can stay on the cutting room floor.

Hologram has been tried before.  Its ineffective and not fun.  we know this from experience that no amount of your "though experimenting" can possibly override.  give it a rest.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The playlist definitely has its very undesirable issues, but I still think its better than vanilla H5.  If they fixed some issues and had better maps, I'd play it more. Still, better than stage 4 Team Arena cancer.  

• Upvote (+1) 1