CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The fact of the matter is that a Hologram only needs to draw an enemy's aim away for a fraction of a second to be effective. You send your Hologram through a doorway first, the enemy adjusts his aim, he doesn't even need to fire, then you pop through the doorway and get the first shot on him. A Hologram doesn't need to deceive an enemy for very long to be effective.

One with any type of cover? Send your Hologram to the corner of the cover so it is half poking out to draw the enemy sniper fire.

I am struggling to understand how this has a very large impact on such a scenario on most maps. Take Hang Em High, all you know is the rough direction of where the person is by observing where the sniper trail came from. There are dozens of tombstones the enemy player could be behind when you round that corner in an attempt to return fire. Even then, it still doesn't change the fact that:

• You probably just have your utility weapon and are outgunned
  • The enemy player has his reticle trained on where you are about to exit cover

Where as if you were stuck behind this same cover with camo, you could probably:

• Leave the cover with minimal risk of taking damage
  • Use this opportunity to get the first shot in and pin the other player down

I think you are working way too hard to try and make this feature have a place in this theoretical game.

• Upvote (+1) 7

On the rare off chance that something is a Hologram, you wouldn't immediately shoot at an enemy? Come on now. That's just completely unrealistic. You only get a fraction of a second to spot and shoot an enemy in many cases. You're going to give up that chance because it COULD be a Hologram? Bullshit.

If I'm not already aiming at that corner with the Sniper I'd have to take time to flick my crosshair over to it, possibly enough time for a real enemy to get back behind cover, and definitely enough time to realize the "enemy" is just standing there zoning out.

If I'm already aiming at it then I could immediately take the shot...but is there pressure to do so?  Depending on map design I might either be forced to take that rare opportunity like you say, or have ample time to wait for another opportunity because the enemy is inevitably forced to pass into view again anyways.  For example a tunnel with only one entrance and one exit.  The enemy isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

With a Battle Rifle there's no downside involved either way and I'll shoot whatever I want.  With an 8-round (12? 16?) Sniper or even worse a 4-round Rocket I have to make every shot count and I'm not going to just shoot at everything that moves if there's no reason to and/or if I can't secure the kill.

"The rare off chance that something is a hologram."  If it's rare then your point becomes self-defeating doesn't it?  You're implying tricking snipers with it will be a fairly common (and thus inevitably predictable) use of the ability.  You're using that as the basis for it's usefulness.

Regardless even if I choose to concede here, it's still only one application.  I'm not going to go out of my way to secure an item that is only useful for tricking snipers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is the throwback playlist using the new Br or old one?

Old BR w/ Classic Scope.

In fairness to Boyo, I used to play a lot of Multiteam in Reach, and if we were playing KotH, I would always switch to Hologram when the hill went bottom middle.

I didn't need sprint or jetpack to get there quickly.

It baited out nades and created target priority confusion.

It was hilarious.

I've also had success using it how Boyo described in Team Snipers in Reach, as well as sending it around corners a bit ahead of me. I played around with it a decent amount between Reach, 4, and now Doom, and I've gotten decent at using it effectively, but I would never pick it in a difficult game. It's fun to trick people with, but if it's a loadout item it will invariably be outclassed by other stuff.

It could work as a pickup, with say about 3 uses, but it couldn't be treated as a power item. It would have to be treated as an also-ran item like the grav lift, or the jetpacks on v7 Countdown. I feel like thats the only way it could contribute anything, but theres no denying that its a trivial topic overall.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Old BR w/ Classic Scope.

Aww too bad.  I was really wanting to enjoy some of that delicious spread. 

Spready to the gods!!

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So you admit that Hologram does have some meta? There is some skill in deploying it successfully?

There's no skill or meta. It's the same thing every time: deploy hologram around a corner, hope someone is distracted, hop out and shoot the person you think might be distracted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's no skill or meta. It's the same thing every time: deploy hologram around a corner, hope someone is distracted, hop out and shoot the person you think might be distracted.

I'll never understand why people make absolute statements like these. There is no skill, none, absolutely zero? So all I have to do is show that there is the slightest bit of skill involved and you are proven wrong? Ok. You could run to the corner of a room with no enemies in it, face the wall, then deploy your Hologram OR you could stand in cover, like inside a cave, where you suspect an enemy is outside then deploy the Hologram out into your enemy's sight line. One of those situations is clearly a more skillful use of Hologram than the other.

See how you were just proven wrong because you took such a hardline stance? You could say it takes very little skill or the benefit to gameplay is not significant enough to warrant its inclusion but you are undeniable wrong in saying it takes no skill.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I knew they'd find a way to fuck up that playlist. I just knew it. It was too simple and I wanted it too badly.

10 Second shield recharge? WHY. What problem is this supposed to be fixing?

How does every company employ some fucking melvin that thinks he's too smart for the room, and then give him influence over settings? It's astonishing how something like settings, something so rooted in God damn common sense, can get fucked up so frequently by a walking talking personification of the phrase "Well actually...".  These people are how we got SMG starts. They're how we got 30 second flag return times in default H3. They're how we get random hill rotations, even when the hills are fucking labeled alphabetically. STOP LETTING THIS GUY CHOOSE SHIT.

343, if you need help figuring out who the office melvin is that keeps fucking up simple shit, let me help you.

-He's the guy that has a completely unwarranted sense of superiority (usually based on his own perceived intelligence, because he's usually fat and untalented).

-He's not good at the game but claims he is, and always has an excuse for losing.

-He will find one small perceived problem and propose a preposterous band-aid solution that would ruin the game. (ex: "We can't spawn people with BR's. That's half of the noob combo. Everyone will just run around using the noob combo. So lets just do SMG starts instead of using the No Duals weapon layout.") This is because his grasp on how the game is played among competent players is tenuous at best, despite his claims to the contrary.

-He struggles with giving credit to his peers, for anything.

-His unfunny sense of humor (and self-worth) tends to rely on negativity and shitting on other people.

If you're still unsure who the melvin in your life is, I can keep elaborating if I need to. We all know one, and it's important that we minimize their influence.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'll never understand why people make absolute statements like these. There is no skill, none, absolutely zero? So all I have to do is show that there is the slightest bit of skill involved and you are proven wrong? Ok. You could run to the corner of a room with no enemies in it, face the wall, then deploy your Hologram OR you could stand in cover, like inside a cave, where you suspect an enemy is outside then deploy the Hologram out into your enemy's sight line. One of those situations is clearly a more skillful use of Hologram than the other.

See how you were just proven wrong because you took such a hardline stance? You could say it takes very little skill or the benefit to gameplay is not significant enough to warrant its inclusion but you are undeniable wrong in saying it takes no skill.

Was the difference between "no skill" and "negligible skill" worth those 6 lines of text?

Was the difference between "no skill" and "negligible skill" worth those 6 lines of text?

Should we just allow falsehoods to be stated as facts, Melvin?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Should we just allow falsehoods to be stated as facts, Melvin?

Keep fighting the good fight. Make sure Hologram gets that 1/10 skill it deserves. How dare anyone say it takes no skill. Everyone should always speak exactly literally and never exaggerate on this forum, or so help me God I will write 6 lines of text about it every time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Keep fighting the good fight. Make sure Hologram gets that 1/10 skill it deserves. How dare anyone say it takes no skill. Everyone should always speak exactly literally and never exaggerate on this forum, or so help me God I will write 6 lines of text about it every time.

Well, you have made multiple posts about it. I didn't count the lines of text though.

What annoys me more than anything about the Halo 3 Classic playlist is the BR, and how piss easy it is. Of course, I am in no way saying that the random spread version in the Weapon Tuning Playlist is a better alternative. If I had my way, I'd just lower the RRR and aim assist.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well, you have made multiple posts about it. I didn't count the lines of text though.

You asked me a direct question...

I am struggling to understand how this has a very large impact on such a scenario on most maps. Take Hang Em High, all you know is the rough direction of where the person is by observing where the sniper trail came from. There are dozens of tombstones the enemy player could be behind when you round that corner in an attempt to return fire. Even then, it still doesn't change the fact that:

• You probably just have your utility weapon and are outgunned
  • The enemy player has his reticle trained on where you are about to exit cover

Where as if you were stuck behind this same cover with camo, you could probably:

• Leave the cover with minimal risk of taking damage
  • Use this opportunity to get the first shot in and pin the other player down

I think you are working way too hard to try and make this feature have a place in this theoretical game.

Great post along with the one you made a few days ago. There's a post bonesaw made a while ago in response to people debating about health packs that was awesome. I love using CE as an example because it's so simple at it's base yet there are still tons of options on the table for most situations.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pinned down by a Sniper? Deploy your Hologram out in the same direction two or three times. Then you run out on the same vector you deployed your previous Holograms. You can either get to new cover or turn and start firing at the enemy sniper, who might be taken by surprise at what he thought was just another Hologram.

@@Hard Way

Do you think Halo would be better off by having some sort of Hologram pick up available to map designers?

I think it is a very small net gain, provided it not take a lot of resources/development time.

Ever since Breakout and Warzone, we have to worry about that now, instead of playing Oddball, KotH, or 1 Flag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it is a very small net gain, provided it not take a lot of resources/development time.

Ever since Breakout and Warzone, we have to worry about that now, instead of playing Oddball, KotH, or 1 Flag.

Are there any other pick ups like Hologram or Jump Boots that you think Halo could benefit from?