CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

• Another developer realizes that classic Halo was a niche within the FPS genre that has been uncontested since 2010 and then makes a game with the same underlying philisophy as the original trilogy. The game is a sucess and manages to bring in new fans as well as OG Halo fans while Halo 6 sells even worse than H5, because people no longer need to play severely watered down Halo games to get their Halo fix.

I really hope this happens. It definitely could with the trend of CoD going back to WW2. And new games attempting to copy quake. There is literally nothing like halo on the market right now and people would definitely get addicted to that style of gameplay given the terrible console offering out right now. 

I want a new universe, new characters, new story, new franchise. And it will play exactly like classic halo multiplayer. Except it will run flawless, have all the fixes we want. And Halo 6 can be the humiliating disaster that I kinda want to happen now just to stick it to this terrible company. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know the installation 01 guys are only ok because they have created all original assets and aren't making any money.

The money part is key. As soon as a studio tried to make a game that smells like halo and make money they would get sued 6 ways to Sunday.

Surely 343 have absolutely no case if a developer simply made a shooter with similar TTK, movement, grenades etc. and small arena style maps? Nothing would be directly copied? 

No

I'm not suggesting a return of Armor Abilities in general.

May I inquire as to what you have against Hologram specifically?

See my critique about speedboost, but hologram is worse and not worth spending time on because of the increased "gimmick" factor.

When is the last time  you saw someone throw out a hologram and DIDN'T roll your eyes.  I would say that was 3 days after the launch of Reach for me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's just another "cool" mechanic that was only added by 343 to make their new Halo game look newer rather than improve the core mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Surely 343 have absolutely no case if a developer simply made a shooter with similar TTK, movement, grenades etc. and small arena style maps? Nothing would be directly copied? 

If there is armor and a shield + health mechanic yes.  Does it mean they would win? probably not unless the ripoff was particularly egregious but it doesn't mean that they wouldn't at least try to get it shut down, which is a tall order for a studio to stand against when you have the weight of microsoft behind you.

See my critique about speedboost, but hologram is worse and not worth spending time on because of the increased "gimmick" factor.

When is the last time  you saw someone throw out a hologram and DIDN'T roll your eyes.  I would say that was 3 days after the launch of Reach for me.

You've never once been fooled by a Hologram and gotten fucked because of it?

Also, if Hologram wasn't an off-spawn ability, wouldn't it be more effective because players are expecting it less?

It's just another "cool" mechanic that was only added by 343 to make their new Halo game look newer rather than improve the core mechanics.

Didn't Hologram originate in Reach, developed by Bungie? You'd think a mod of r/Halo would know these things...noob.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Didn't Hologram originate in Reach, developed by Bungie? You'd think a mod of r/Halo would know these things...noob.

The first time I had heard of a hologram that functions like that, was in Shadowrun. It was in testing for years but was scrapped for a few reasons. When FASA dissolved a lot of their talent was split between bungie/343 so a lot of their ideas were shoe-horned into reach. Main reason it was scrapped was I believe due to frame rate issues in larger games where you have multiple tree's/minions up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For someone who likes to criticize responses that "dont contribute" or "Dont answer the question".......

Also, if Hologram wasn't an off-spawn ability, wouldn't it be more effective because players are expecting it less?

Fooled? Yes.  until i put a single shot into it.

Fucked?  Honestly no.

When someone pops a hologram you know EXACTLY where that person is now and just roll your eyes because its annoying.

The whole "frustrating" and "annoying" aspect of things is something that you dont really seem to consider.  Something can be the most balanced and creative mechanic/weapon/whatever in the world but if its fucking annoying, it still sucks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sure hologram can be effective. That doesn't make it enjoyable though.

'Press X to fool opponent' doesnt make for compelling Halo gameplay

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sure hologram can be effective. That doesn't make it enjoyable though.

'Press X to fool opponent' doesnt make for compelling Halo gameplay

Doesn't Camo also fool your opponent? Why is one good and the other bad?

Not in the same way. Camo turns you invisible. You can prepare for that, look for it, position yourself to counter it.

Hologram just makes you pause for a second every time you see someone and wonder if they're real.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not in the same way. Camo turns you invisible. You can prepare for that, look for it, position yourself to counter it.

Hologram just makes you pause for a second every time you see someone and wonder if they're real.

They both manipulate the visuals of the player model. Camo removes the player model. Hologram duplicates it. I don't really see how you could be in favor of Camo but against Hologram. You either like deceiving an enemy's vision or you don't.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

There are key differences.

1) you don't pull camo out of your back pocket (unless we are talking The 4). Once you pick it up, it's in use and for a limited time

2) effectively using it requires a trade off. You can't move or deal damage without nullifying the advantages it provides.

3) the deceit is a function of player agency. Its the players' positioning and awareness that dictates whether a camo push will be successful. With hologram its a toss-up whether someone will be fooled - not a matter of decision making and execution.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are key differences.

1) you don't pull camo out of your back pocket (unless we are talking The 4). Once you pick it up, it's in use and for a limited time

2) effectively using it requires a trade off. You can't move or deal damage without nullifying the advantages it provides.

Doesn't Hologram also have a trade off? If your enemy isn't fooled by it, he now knows exactly where you are.

Doesn't Hologram also have a trade off? If your enemy isn't fooled by it, he now knows exactly where you are.

See the 3rd item i edited in.

See the 3rd item i edited in.

Isn't deciding when and where to deploy a Hologram, and whether it will be successful or not, also a function of player agency?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THAT HOLOGRAM IS FUCKING ANNOYING.

Seriously, as soon as something meets that criteria, which hologram does right off the bat, it doesn't matter how effective or balanced or whatever it is.

Its been tried and dropped from subsequent games for a reason.  Its lame. that is all.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Isn't deciding when and where to deploy a Hologram, and whether it will be successful or not, also a function of player agency?

Its a 100% binary decision though. No opportunity for depth.

If someone sees you deploy it, they'll know is a hologram-

If they don't see you deploy it, they may think it's a hologram-

Once you deploy it, all you can do is cross your fingers - there's no further player agency.

The result is people are annoyed. You are supposed to shoot enemies. Then along comes an enemy that you shouldn't bother shooting and its dumb - Whether or not it grabs your attention isn't a matter of skill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its a 100% binary decision though. No opportunity for depth.

If someone sees you deploy it, they'll know is a hologram-

If they don't see you deploy it, they may think it's a hologram-

Once you deploy it, all you can do is cross your fingers - there's no further player agency.

Can you explain to me how a Camo user deciding when and where to reveal himself is good for gameplay but a Hologram user deciding when and where to reveal himself is bad for gameplay? These scenarios are similar is so many ways that I must be missing the key element that makes one good and the other bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can you explain to me how a Camo user deciding when and where to reveal himself is good for gameplay but a Hologram user deciding when and where to reveal himself is bad for gameplay? These scenarios are similar is so many ways that I must be missing the key element that makes one good and the other bad.

You need to nail down the higher level stuff first.  They are hardly similar at all... if you can't see that, there is no reason to even continue this discussion.