CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

As long as we get a lightning power up that makes everyone else mini and you can run them over and smush them flat like a pancake. 

NINTENDO64--Mario%20Kart%2064_Dec4%206_3

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm afraid that you'll be forced to design maps around features that break them no matter what.

I know multi wants to +Rep this post but he can't now. It's already begun. He's one of them now. lol

One of them.

One of them.

One of them.

Edit: Just Josh Holmesin' you man.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know multi wants to +Rep this post but he can't now. It's already begun. He's one of them now. lol

One of them.

One of them.

One of them.

Edit: Just Josh Holmesin' you man.

I know I'm just messing with you in return :) but I am going to be much more reserved from here out. Just like the Treyarch situation with r/codcompetitive, someone on forgehub made an alt on reddit and posted plenty of posts I've made in the past about 343. So, stuff happens. People suck. And I need to represent my company better in the future. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop posting here, but you can expect a change in demeanor obviously.

At the end of the day, I love level design. I love Halo. And 343 is giving me an awesome opportunity of a lifetime to work on it. That's the end all be all. I'm stoked.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I know I'm just messing with you in return :) but I am going to be much more reserved from here out. Just like the Treyarch situation with r/codcompetitive, someone on forgehub made an alt on reddit and posted plenty of posts I've made in the past about 343. So, stuff happens. People suck. And I need to represent my company better in the future. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop posting here, but you can expect a change in demeanor obviously.

At the end of the day, I love level design. I love Halo. And 343 is giving me an awesome opportunity of a lifetime to work on it. That's the end all be all. I'm stoked.

I just hope you stick to what you know is correct/true with regard to certain decisions. That doesn't mean be a dick and get fired but just don't let social pressures cause you to "agree" with something that we all know isn't good for the game if you're in a position to give input

Posted in the HCS thread but ill put it here too. You're talking to 343s newest level designer! Hoping to make some stellar stuff for our favorite franchise

Congrats dude! We should hang out when you get in the area! I mean, we're *technically* competitors now, but you know... fuck all that.  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah totally. No need to jeopardize a sweet gig for some fake internet points. I for one am very happy  you'll be there.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Congrats dude! We should hang out when you get in the area! I mean, we're *technically* competitors now, but you know... fuck all that. :walshy:

We'll grab a drink when I get down there :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

We'll grab a drink when I get down there :)

If you have any questions about the area, the commute to RTC, where to live, etc... let me know!

• Upvote (+1) 1

If there were a power up that modified each weapon in a unique way, what changes would each weapon receive?

Increased damage to vehicles?

Becomes fully automatic?

Projectiles home in on target?

Explosive projectiles?

Increased melee damage?

Knock target back?

Silenced shots?

Damage drain after shot?

Shield vampirism?

Remotely controlled projectiles?

Disrupt enemy vision?

Enhance your vision?

Ricochet?

Plasma stun?

Increased splash damage radius?

Movement enhancing?

Become dual wield?

Increased scope magnification?

How would you "supercharge" a weapon?

If there were a power up that modified each weapon in a unique way, what changes would each weapon receive?

Becomes fully automatic?

Explosive projectiles?

Increased melee damage?

Knock target back?

Silenced shots?

Damage drain after shot?

Shield vampirism?

Disrupt enemy vision?

Enhance your vision?

Ricochet?

Plasma stun?

Movement enhancing?

Become dual wield?

out of this list I'd say only Vampirism and movement enhancing would be suited for powerups that are worth going for. Most of the other stuff is more suited towards weapon attachments.

out of this list I'd say only Vampirism and movement enhancing would be suited for powerups that are worth going for. Most of the other stuff is more suited towards weapon attachments.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am proposing. Say you grab this Supercharge power up while carrying the DMR, the DMR becomes full auto. Then you swap your DMR for an Assault Rifle while this power up is still active, the Assault a Rifle fires explosive rounds. Then you switch to your Sniper Rifle while this power up is still active, the Sniper fires anti-vehicle rounds that deal increased damage to vehicles.

Basically, every weapon has a supercharged version. Whatever weapon you have equipped while this power up is active becomes the supercharged version of itself.

Becomes fully automatic?

Explosive projectiles?

Increased melee damage?

Knock target back?

Silenced shots?

Damage drain after shot?

Shield vampirism?

Disrupt enemy vision?

Enhance your vision?

Ricochet?

Plasma stun?

Movement enhancing?

Become dual wield?

Interesting concept. It could be cool for casual play only unless there are specific weapon power ups that can be put on the map. Then you might be able to get away with it being in comp. If there's just a universal power up that affects whatever gun you are holding, that seems too unpredictable.

I think it would be ideal if whatever bonus was simply a consequence of the guns normal function. If it's just going to make guns easier to use than I think it's just dumb.

Like the splaser could have shield vampirism even beyond the limit. Like even if you have full shields you'd gain like 20 percent of the enemy's shields per kill or something. I like this because it's like your constantly fighting for an overshield.

Plasma rifle could have a stun effect for headshots (accuracy would ideally be perfect for this gun)

Sniper rounds could bounce more

AR could make movement a little more ice skatey for the person getting shot.

universal power up that affects whatever gun you are holding.

That's what I was thinking.

You get a second AR to dual wield.

The Splaser has a shorter charge time and longer Beam duration.

Rockets become laser guided.

DMR becomes silenced.

Things like that.

I'd be a bigger fan of the concept if the bonuses were less direct changes to the guns and more effects that come from their base function.

I mean either way you're changing the guns and that's the point but I just disagree on what part should be changed.

He left out "I love 343". GET EM!!!

Ǝ---  Ǝ---  Ǝ---

This post is excellent.

If Jetpack were to come back, I'd want it to be functionally identical to Jump Boots from UT. No clawing necessary.

One idea for a powerup I've been kicking around is a weapon amp. Depending on what weapon you have out, the powerup will apply different (better) traits to it for 1 minute. If you die or drop it someone else can pick it up and use the remaining time on it. So for example if you grabbed it with the utility weapon out, it would have a bottomless clip and slightly increased RoF. It'd be tough to design bc you'd need to have a different effect for every weapon in the game, but it could be awesome.

@@Boyo, you trollin me right now?

Lmao the plot thickens.

It's actually a cool idea, but would be really hard to implement and balance, plus it would be hard to tell players what is going on. This is also a problem with the Warzone weapon variants. Outside of the attachments on the loadout weapons, it's hard to tell what weapon properties have been changed until you fire the weapon. All of them having cryptic names like "Retina of The Mind's Eye" and "Blood of Suban" doesn't help either.

+1 for making powerups droppable upon death though. I'm tired of people rushing top mid on Plaza/bottom mid on Regret just to be there first and burn the powerup.

Lmao the plot thickens.

It's actually a cool idea, but would be really hard to implement and balance, plus it would be hard to tell players what is going on. This is also a problem with the Warzone weapon variants. Outside of the attachments on the loadout weapons, it's hard to tell what weapon properties have been changed until you fire the weapon. All of them having cryptic names like "Retina of The Mind's Eye" and "Blood of Suban" doesn't help either.

+1 for making powerups droppable upon death though. I'm tired of people rushing top mid on Plaza/bottom mid on Regret just to be there first and burn the powerup.

Most of this could be accomplished by allowing users to create custom power ups that let you modify any base traits that you want, down to individual weapons.  

That would be great.  Give the community the tools they need and let them go ham.  Much better use of resources than trying to create the individual power up and balance it for every weapon, etc.

Custom powerup, shit ton of options.

Done.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You even replied to it.

Yeah. It was a good idea so I decided to discuss it. Do you have any ideas for "amplified" versions of specific weapons?

Most of this could be accomplished by allowing users to create custom power ups that let you modify any base traits that you want, down to individual weapons.  

That would be great.  Give the community the tools they need and let them go ham.  Much better use of resources than trying to create the individual power up and balance it for every weapon, etc.

Custom powerup, shit ton of options.

Done.

I would love an extremely customizable custom power up but your suggested approach is akin to saying "don't ship the game with any maps, just give the community a robust forge mode". There are things that the developers can do that the community can't. Amplified weapon variants would be precisely one of those things. I want things that are more interesting than modifying rate of fire and clip size, things that need to be specifically developed for, things the community can't do.