CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm afraid that you'll be forced to design maps around features that break them no matter what.

• Upvote (+1) 4

There could be a power up that decreases the size of the player. A player who is standing up with this power up active would be shorter than a normal player crouching. It could allow him to run through tiny holes in the map as well as making him harder to hit.

Apparently you aren't too familiar with the cancer that is, Oddjob.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And 343 continues to hire people who hate Halo  :kappa:

Congrats Multi! Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

Posted in the HCS thread but ill put it here too. You're talking to 343s newest level designer! Hoping to make some stellar stuff for our favorite franchise

Shit.. That's dope man. Congrats! I should join the train and apply to be a Software Engineer lol.

(I'm kidding.if I apply to a game dev, it'll be for a few different companies I've had my eye on for a while. Good stuff.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Posted in the HCS thread but ill put it here too. You're talking to 343s newest level designer! Hoping to make some stellar stuff for our favorite franchise

2 Questions:

Did you get to design a map in the next Treyarch CoD game?

Does this mean they have free reign to put that terrible idea you put a stop to back on the table? Uh oh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently you aren't too familiar with the cancer that is, Oddjob.

My one buddy would always call Facility faculty. Reminds me of Charlie from Always Sunny when I think about him now.

Another benefit of being small is that it makes the strafe appear a lot faster even if it's the default speed.

My one buddy would always call Facility faculty. Reminds me of Charlie from Always Sunny when I think about him now.

Another benefit of being small is that it makes the strafe appear a lot faster even if it's the default speed.

We must have the same friend because my neighbor always called it that when we played lol.

We must have the same friend because my neighbor always called it that when we played lol.

Boyo is Deucey confirmed

• Upvote (+1) 1

i hope you got "i can post on team beyond whenever i want" put into your contract.

Ok so here is the thing about this idea... i think its just plain silly.  I dont want it anywhere near competitive or standard play nor do i think that it should be designed as a dedicated power up.  Thats a waste of time. however....

If they were to let people create Custom power ups with "Player size" as an attribute, that would be fine.  I could see forgers coming up with some wonky, one-off, fun gametypes with it.

But trying to create it and balance it etc etc for standard or competitive play is frankly a huge waste of dev time.  Add it as a custom power up option and im sure the community could find fun stuff to do with it.

But trying to create it and balance it etc etc for standard or competitive play is frankly a huge waste of dev time. Add it as a custom power up option and im sure the community could find fun stuff to do with it.

H4 had this and H4 Promod used like 90% player size to make the hitboxes smaller. It was also in an action sack gametype (mini slayer iirc)

Ok so here is the thing about this idea... i think its just plain silly. I dont want it anywhere near competitive or standard play nor do i think that it should be designed as a dedicated power up. Thats a waste of time. however....

If they were to let people create Custom power ups with "Player size" as an attribute, that would be fine. I could see forgers coming up with some wonky, one-off, fun gametypes with it.

But trying to create it and balance it etc etc for standard or competitive play is frankly a huge waste of dev time. Add it as a custom power up option and im sure the community could find fun stuff to do with it.

What is it about a miniature Spartan coming in through the doggy door that is silly?

My thinking was, instead of having a more complicated system of interactive doors that only a power up user can open, the limiting factor is size. Normal Spartans are simply too big to get through these tiny openings. This way, the map is just static geometry but still allows for additional paths for the power up user. No chance of an interactive door malfunctioning. In addition, this method prevents the power up user from standing in the doorway of the interactive door and allowing his whole team through. No matter what the tiny Spartan does, his teammates are too big to follow him.

Plus I think it would be hilarious to get kills as mini me. Mini tea bags afterwards. Heh, it could even modulate your voice chat to a higher pitch so mini Spartan has helium voice.

Boyo, it would be annoying to fight against and would shatter the fiction/atmosphere they're going for. It would just look really, really silly.

Edit: Tone. Tone was the word I was grasping for.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Boyo, it would be annoying to fight against and would shatter the fiction/atmosphere they're going for. It would just look really, really silly.

Putting aside lore reasons for a second, aren't all power ups annoying to fight against? You would rather fight an enemy with OS or Camo than a smaller hit box? Why?

Putting aside lore reasons for a second, aren't all power ups annoying to fight against? You would rather fight an enemy with OS or Camo than a smaller hit box? Why?

It's just silly and a bit cringy. Put that stuff into Action Sack, it could actually be cool to play Juggernaut, but the jugg is super small for example. But in a 4v4 or even BTB setting, this would be super off-putting. It's not about balance, it's more about "wtf is that".

• Upvote (+1) 5

Because it doesn't even make sense as to why we would be fighting mini spartans. It'd be such a waste of a power-up.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Any gameplay related reasons?

I'd hate to have dev time used for designing maps and weapons such that smaller Spartans to have tactical advantages.

Can it work? Possibly, but It's one of those things where you ask 'is this feature going to make our game better or nah?'. You also have to ask would the audience positively receive such a gimmick.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No, they're not annoying to play against. Predicting where a camo player will be and killing him is extremely satisfying. Nuking an OS off of a player with a great nade is the same way. Looking at a little Oddjob running around would be stupid, and it would take me, and just about everyone, out of the game. You might as well have a whacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man on the map too. It would look no less out of place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, they're not annoying to play against. Predicting where a camo player will be and killing him is extremely satisfying. Nuking an OS off of a player with a great nade is the same way. Looking at a little Oddjob running around would be stupid, and it would take me, and just about everyone, out of the game. You might as well have a whacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man on the map too. It would look no less out of place.

If you were playing a money match, and the game was tied with one kill left, and your opponent had just grabbed a power up, would you rather it be OS, Camo, or Mini?

Thanks for the colorful input but you said nothing that relates to gameplay. You basically just said, "it's dumb". Why would a mini power up be bad for gameplay?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'll be the first to admit I don't enjoy playing with/against OS and Camo.  Find it really annoying to look for an invisible player.  I understand its purpose, I just don't find it fun.

If you were playing a money match, and the game was tied with one kill left, and your opponent had just grabbed a power up, would you rather it be OS, Camo, or Mini?

Thanks for the colorful input but you said nothing that relates to gameplay. You basically just said, "it's dumb". Why would a mini power up be bad for gameplay?

Well man, sometimes it being dumb as fuck is enough.

I understand what you're trying to do with map navigation, and I see how it would be fun to use, but it's not fun to shoot at a smaller player model, especially when it doesn't need to exist. If you're looking for alternate, exclusive pathing, you're much better off designing purpose-built grenade/co op jumps, designing weapons/items whose purpose is navigation/mobility, or designing the map around a switch.

What about a map with a central switch that, when controlled by your team, allowed only members of your team access to a certain route/shortcut? That would be so much more tolerable and interesting and fun to play against. Hell, if you insist on making it a powerup/item, just give us Jump Boots from Unreal Tournament. I've always thought they could work in Halo as a replacement for the Jetpack (like, skin it as a Jetpack that only works in bursts). If you've never played it, it's an item that gives you three super high jumps to use at your discretion (press jump again in the air to activate).

Mini Spartans is a dumb gimmick and players would resent it. It simply doesn't fit. Sometimes, like in the case of using a DMR skin as the utility weapon instead of a pistol skin, the optics of the situation are more important than the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Hard Way

Each power up has a sort of counter.

OS has Plasma Pistol.

Camo has AR.

The counter to Mini would simply be having good aim with a precision weapon. Don't we want to reward players who have good aim with a precision weapon? We reward headshots. Look at fighting against Mini as similar to having to land multiple headshots to kill an enemy.

I would have no problem with jump boots but don't we have that covered with grenade/concussion jumps? If a jump boots feature were to be added, would it be better to incorporate it into a movement Enhancing power up, something like speedboost, move faster and jump higher? You could even incorporate double jump as a feature of a single weapon, like the Brute Shot has a little booster under the barrel that can be activated for extra jump height.

I have nothing against the idea of controlling a switch to open paths but a power up allows a single player to act more autonomously, not requiring a team effort to control the switch. Giving individual players freedom is good for gameplay in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1