CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well at least the weapon tuning test made it clear 343 don't learn from mistakes ever. Oh yeah random spread definitely hasn't been tried in Halo before!

einstein.png

Apparently He never actually said that, or at least was not the first.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently He never actually said that, or at least was not the first.

He wrote it in a letter, the big question is if he was the originator, which we do not know, but as of now, the earliest usage of it found is in his letter AFAIK.

sheeesh... a couple of weeks playing nothing but Destiny has ruined me. I went back into Halo for a couple of matches just now and it feels... I dunno.. like my controller is fighting back.

I'm beginning to see the benefit of a "social arena" gametype now; somewhere you can get a feel for the aiming system without tanking your rank.. :(

• Upvote (+1) 2

They finally turned off blocking in Social because I guess it was making MM worse. Maybe if their party matching wasn't so shit I wouldn't have to use it. Now I get to go back to playing numerous full/almost full parties every night with shit teammates and getting stomped on.

sheeesh... a couple of weeks playing nothing but Destiny has ruined me. I went back into Halo for a couple of matches just now and it feels... I dunno.. like my controller is fighting back.

I'm beginning to see the benefit of a "social arena" gametype now; somewhere you can get a feel for the aiming system without tanking your rank.. :(

Before H5 released, I didn't play shooters with a controller for a few months. I was one of the few that didn't notice any glaring problems with the H5 aiming. Then I played Star Wars: Battlefront for a couple weeks with a controller and then went back to Halo 5 and noticed the aiming problems immediately. So yeah, EA's casual-ass shooter, Star Wars Battlefront, has more sensible aiming than the latest Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The first person to say it was Vaas in Far Cry 3. Please educate yourself, thank you.

ah yes vaas. The only remotely good thing about far cry 3.

I was watching some Halo 5 clips the other day and saw that there were certain "doors" that need to be shoulder charged into to open. What are your feelings on these?

I was watching some Halo 5 clips the other day and saw that there were certain "doors" that need to be shoulder charged into to open. What are your feelings on these?

Its fucking stupid and useless only because you can literally count on one hand how many times you need it to break terrain in the entire game. lazy halfhazard gimmick is a disgusting understatement. I'd rather they just have interactive doors

• Upvote (+1) 5

Gets me all charged up. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its fucking stupid and useless only because you can literally count on one hand how many times you need it to break terrain in the entire game. lazy halfhazard gimmick is a disgusting understatement. I'd rather they just have interactive doors

^^^^ my exact sentiments.  Besides, you can usually just do a regular beatdown twice to open up the same passages.  Its a gimmick to get people to think Spartan Charge is cool in the campaign before they move to multiplayer and realize how ass it is.

Pre-launch they were talking about how "open" the campaign was and how many options you have for traversal. What they really meant was, "break through this function-less vent here and take a loop that brings you back to exactly the same place that the obvious passage does"

Honestly, for FPS's 8 hour campaigns, i HATE the whole "open world" thing. Skyrim? Witcher? Fallout? amazing! its great for RPG's since the world being open allows you to take a break from the main story and find other, smaller fully-encapsulated experiences.  That's what "open world" is all about, letting you discover side experiences that you can complete as you want to.

FPS games are, by their nature, incapable of doing this.  Any attempts to make an FPS more "open" generally leads to gimmicky add-on crap that really just distracts from goal of the game and fucks with the pacing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IIRC meleeing or shooting them also works.

I guess if your game is going to have a mechanic it might as well utilize it?  I don't have a problem with things that require spartan charge to open being in the campaign, but I do have a problem with spartan charge being in the game in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IIRC meleeing or shooting them also works.

I guess if your game is going to have a mechanic it might as well utilize it?  I don't have a problem with things that require spartan charge to open being in the campaign, but I do have a problem with spartan charge being in the game in the first place.

How do you feel about the general idea of players modifying the map? Instead of kool aide manning through the vent with shoulder charge, how would you handle players opening new paths? Should it be tied to a base trait like melee or a specific weapon with map altering properties? Should it be a limited duration power up that gives you the ability or a key that you keep until you die?

How do you feel about the general idea of players modifying the map? Instead of kool aide manning through the vent with shoulder charge, how would you handle players opening new paths? Should it be tied to a base trait like melee or a specific weapon with map altering properties? Should it be a limited duration power up that gives you the ability or a key that you keep until you die?

There is a console with a switch on it. you flip the switch.  The switch cannot be flipped again. See: Zanzibar

I think this has been discussed before?  its a very simple mechanic that only needs very simple execution. Especially if the map is going to entertain more than one gametype.

There is a console with a switch on it. you flip the switch.  The switch cannot be flipped again. See: Zanzibar

I think this has been discussed before?  its a very simple mechanic that only needs very simple execution. Especially if the map is going to entertain more than one gametype.

I figured this would be the response. I respect the switch, simple and effective. I just thought that you might be open to ideas that weren't introduced decades ago.

You guys are always spouting off about how weapons should have unique traits. I don't see why map modification couldn't be one of them.

There could be a power up that decreases the size of the player. A player who is standing up with this power up active would be shorter than a normal player crouching. It could allow him to run through tiny holes in the map as well as making him harder to hit.

• Downvote (-1) 1